[Spoiler]Beating the final boss of BaW is impossible

+
Beating the final boss of BaW is impossible
Does anyone know what level I should be to do this. I'm level 52, and I'm, up to 20 tries now. This is supposed to be a game, not a job. The stupid bat one hit kill attack kills me EVERY TIME. The game can't be played if its impossible, so does anyone have any hints that work? I try to dodge, doesn't work, I try to run, doesn't work. I maxed out quen intensity, doesn't work. Is there some kind of bug here?

What is your difficulty level? And just out of curiosity, did you go with Orianna or did you go find Syanna?

I did this fight twice with a mix and mash skill setup. Most important is Refreshment (each potion consumed heals me for 25%), also important is the Ekidhna decoction and the Superior Tawny Owl. Superior Vampire Oil + "skill that reduces incoming damage from that foe type" helped. Black Blood probably helps.

Both times were in NG (not NG+) and deathmarch. Armor was a mix of grandmaster feline and mastercrafted feline chest armor (I hate that hood!) I have Quen and Ignii glyphs and a +3 health regeneration glyph from HoS on that armor.

Skills were not set up specifically for this fight. I ran things that were rather useless, like Axii 1&2, Igni 1&3, Deflect Arrows. Heliotrope was "reflect some damage back to attacker".

I used a level 44 Aerondight. And I was also level 52 or 51.

- Keep the Quen up at all times!
- in the Bat phase, keep on the move (dodge like a lunatic). When you notice him summoning the bat avalanche, start rolling around to get out of that. I sometimes got out of the avalanche, sometimes not. Needs some further experiments in later playthroughs until I understand this better.
- if you get caught by the bat avalanche anyway, Quen should make sure that you survive that on about 10% health. Food + Some potions to heal up and Quen again.
- then hop around until the bat lands and move in fast to him and stab him a few times in the butt before dodging away again. You have time for 1 strong hit and a few fast ones (matching the feline grandmaster gear bonus).

As for the phase after the bat:
- ignore the moving bloody Detlaff and focus on the pods. The moving bloody Detlaff will (in deathmarch NG and with my setup) slice through you, and respawn anyway. The 3 pods are necessary to kill to get out of there
- KEEP MOVING. Do not let the bloody Detlaff catch up. Just run from pod to pod and stab it twice or so before running on, Moving in a triangle for until the pods are all gone.

Last edited:
The most important thing about this fight is learning how to dodge the bats. After that, it is not that difficult if you are well prepared with your character build and gear.

Part 1 & 3 of the fight are easy just part 2 is hard but you just have to learn to dodge the bats. Activate the new mutation Second life as this will give you an extra chance if you die. Use White Raffords to instantly replenish heath if the bats get you & equip the food skill from the yellow section as it constantly replenishes your health for 20 minutes.

I could almost swear that final boss gets bugged for some reason if you take Orianna path and second part of that fight becomes insanely difficult :D

I do not think that should make a difference if your character and gear are otherwise the same at the time of the Dettlaff fight, and for me it was not more difficult on the Unseen Elder path. Perhaps it is a bug ? If you played in NG+ mode or with the enemy upscaling option turned on, those reportedly sometimes scale random enemies to unreasonable (very low or high) levels.

I do not think that should make a difference if your character and gear are otherwise the same at the time of the Dettlaff fight, and for me it was not more difficult on the Unseen Elder path. Perhaps it is a bug ? If you played in NG+ mode or with the enemy upscaling option turned on, those reportedly sometimes scale random enemies to unreasonable (very low or high) levels.

It was NG+ in first case and stand alone version in all other cases. So no explanation from there either :(

I had trouble killing that vampire until I got some Superior potions. Superior Thunderbolt, Superior White Honey, Superior White Raffard's Decoction and Superior Swallow. I also enchanted one of my swords withe Preservation....which keeps the Armorer's Table & Grindstone bonus at full strength without ever expiring.Also...keep the Quen on as often as possible. Use the White Honey to zap the toxicity level so you can use swallow & white raffard's decoction to keep your health up. Dodge & roll a lot. Took me a few tries but I finanlly beat him.

Now that I defeated him....there's nothing left to do except play Gwent against Camerlengo.

P.S. Vampire oil on silver sword.

Last edited:
Use Griffin Decoction, and I also equipped the Protective Coating alchemy skill. The bat attack takes about 85% of Geralt's HP. After getting hit, I immediately use White Raffard's. It helps if you know how to dodge the bats. Just get your timing right and dodge using roll, not the simple side step.

EDIT:
Protective Coating, then put vampire oil on my silver sword.

The Easiest way to pass the 2nd Phase and Detlaffs Nuclear bat attacks is to run away from him to the edge of the arena when he starts to build it up, and roll away from the attack as it is moving towards you. The attack goes in a straight line so keep the camera on him and when he launches it just dodge to the side to avoid it.

There have been a number of threads on this topic, so I would refer to those.

In any case, in order to avoid the one hit kill from Dettlaff's bats, just run parallel to him right as he is about to launch the bats. It doesn't matter in which direction - can be either left or right - you just have to sprint parallel when he is launching them and they almost never hit you.

The second life mutation is also useful in the event that you make a mistake. Once you get past phase 2, phase 3 is super easy.

If any of the devs are reading posts like this, please do not take it as a hint that we want CP 2077 or future games to be dumbed down. Some of us like the challenge.

It's actually a well designed boss fight, like all the boss fights in the expansions. There are two key things:

- He doesn't always follow his pattern. Depending on your distance from him, he'll break pattern and swoop down on you. So I tried to maintain a long distance from him.

- you have to memorize the timing for the bats, and roll to be safe, don't dodge. I guess running worked for some people, not for me.

Had an hour of "fun" with phase 2 of this boss fight yesterday (Death March, enemy scaling, level 52). Rolling didn't always work and my three superior Raffard Decoction potions weren't enough to get through that part. In the end I realized the thing I was doing wrong was trying to keep Dettlaff in my line of sight while he was performing his bat swarm attack, by running and rolling left or right, which felt like the most intuitive thing to do. Instead, while he starts preparing the attack, the player should just run like hell in the opposite direction, curving either towards the left or the right edge of the amphiteather, not caring about the camera and using the audio effect of the bat swarm as a clue as to when the attack is finished. Once I got that figured out I just had to take care not to step into the sticky puddle things he kept planting on the ground.

Last edited:
It's actually not that hard,I managed to kill him in less than 10mins on deathmarch enemy scaling Lv76. I'd recommend using the sword you got from Lady of The Lake *can't remember what's the name,Areondeit or something",deals way better damage than the witcher swords. For the bat warm you can roll either way,but your timing gotta be spot on, since they tend to have a homing device on them. Another way is the side step,might look futile but I did manage to dodge them with the cost of some HP,like quarter of a full bar with full Quen skills in use. Other than that it's pretty easy to dodge his "superman landings"

yeah, Detlaff was a piece of cake compared to the challenge of fighting all of the OvE ghosts at the same time. THAT was a freakin' nightmare of rolling.

This fight is cheap amateur garbage. Nuclear attacks are never okay from professional studios. If you can't do better then you are in the wrong business. All these "dodge the nuke" tips are bogus. He doesn't only launch his nuclear salvo from the end of the arena. He launches it from wherever suits him and sometimes that's when he has you cornered. I just can't get over how cheap this fight is. Why make this complex combat system and then design a fight that requires a very specific build?

squirmybeatle20;n7774420 said:
This fight is cheap amateur garbage. Nuclear attacks are never okay from professional studios. If you can't do better then you are in the wrong business. All these "dodge the nuke" tips are bogus. He doesn't only launch his nuclear salvo from the end of the arena. He launches it from wherever suits him and sometimes that's when he has you cornered. I just can't get over how cheap this fight is. Why make this complex combat system and then design a fight that requires a very specific build?

But it's a legitimate concern in any fight, fantasy or real.

I mean in a proper real world fight to the death, the other guy isn't going to pull any punches and EVERY attack could be a "nuclear attack". Same goes for this.

Still thought Detlaff was easier than the Olgierd lookalikes at the end of his questline.

Get good and dodge his attacks. Honestly, it's not that hard. You just need to have some patience and study the timing of the bat attack and others. If times well the bat attack can be dodged with 1 roll.

It can be done with literally any build for those out there who are putting the blame in CD Project. Just put in a little effort.

Top Bottom