XP and Levelling Thread

+
There isn't *any* difference I can observe between levelling in S&S and DM. Both games I completed at around 36-37, and in both I spent most of the time chasing the sidequests that were *just* about to go out of level bracket or waiting until later to attend to them.

S&S permits a little more more early "grinding" because you *can* risk fighting every pack of dogs/wolves/ghouls/drowners, while I started a bit slower in DM because your equipment is inadequate and the enemies are over-boosted compared to your ability to deal with them. The difference is only a level at most though, and soon you are running out of 'levels' before you run out of content.

There is *no* indication either from gameplay experience, or from the xmls that there is any difficulty scaling for XP in the current game, only HP soak pools and damage multipliers (subsequently skewed by 'level gate' bonuses and maluses).

The questing placement is a fairly significant concern. There's no reason there should be a level 2 quest in Novigrad, when I didn't even get to Novigrad for the first time until around level 10 on my second playthrough on DM, maybe even a bit higher. Similarly, as someone posted, there should NOT be level 12 quests in Skellige. I was struggling to complete all the quests I had before they turned gray and was around level 17-18 before I even got to Skellige for the first time, and I STILL had available quests in Velen/Novigrad.

I also have about 4-5 quests that are relatively worthless because I picked them up too late in areas that don't make any sense. For example, how about those Fists of Fury quests? The Skellige version has a suggested level of 30, and after completing it, opens access to a level 14 quest on Spikeroog??? What in the heck is the point of that?

I think they should also consider adding more value to low level quests. I picked up a level 21 quest at level 30 that I missed - so, it's basically worthless. If I do it, I'll get something like one XP now. But, as a level 34, I just cleared one of those abandoned sites, full of level 12 bandits, and got 170 XP.

170 XP for killing level 12 bandits and opening an abandoned site versus a level 21 quest that's essentially worth nothing. Not a lot of sense there.

Each kill sould be worth at least 1XP. Even if your 30 lvls over the rank. After all if you want to slay 2000 drowers to reach the next level I think you earned it.

It would be nice to prevent XP gain for a while, or reduce it to 10%. A bit similar to what the "Customize Combat XP and Quest Gain" from the Nexus does but also available for console users. Overleveling is still an issue on my PS4 playthrough.

Maybe an elegant solution would be a concoction which prevents XP gain for 1 hour and gives a very small buff?

i think it would be best if quest were not restricted in any way and quest monsters would scale towards player. This way player would be able to play the way he wants, instead of following the predestined path.. Yet, it would be also interesting if some quests would only unlock randomly, and not every time, so there would be a chance for different quests active for different playthrough, so entire experience would be a bit more randomized instead of linear path...

Also, one thing that always bothered me is the starting position in Velen - If Geralt comes from Vizima, why he is entering it in the middle of map? wouldnt the Nilfgardian Army camp be a better starting possition???

I had the same problem. The game beign so great, I wished to solve all the quests and question marks on the map, but soon I found myself level 20 and still in Novigrad with a bunch of grey and green low-level quests left. If some of you played WOW, you would know there was an option to prevent over leveling: turning off the XP gain. CDPROJEKTRED please make it happen in the next patch!!

Please take a look before u read.

I love the Witcher universe. I have read 7 books, played the games etc. Still in progress with 1-st playtrough because I was waiting for new GPU and didnt want to play such game with old. I do like everything in this game but exp system looks odd. Need to say I'm using "Always get full xp" (or something) mod which grants full reward even for gray quests

One moderator said that u can't get xp for all quests because u will be too OP. Plus people notice that main quests giving a lot more XP than the side. I see one good solution: decrease XP gain from main quests (i.e. after foggy island I jumped 27-30, I know it's important moment but still; and a lot of quests became grey).

Pros:
- you will always be rewarded for your work
- you won't be "too OP"
- enemies will be at least "green", i.e. not gray and more competitive
- you don't need to follow dev's order of completing quests

Cons:
- lower replayability for some players
- maybe whine of some people playing easy mode
- you actually have to do it :)

OR u can decrease exp gain from main quests or even all sources only on the highest difficulty.

OR (I doubt I should say this) raise required lvl for some quests. For example at least for Skellige. One guy had about 20 grey quests until islands and kept getting grey. I had same experience but with lower amount of gray quests.

2-nd solution based on previous reply:
5) As for the system itself, indeed it feels a bit strange. You need 1k XP from level 1 to level 2 and 1k XP from level 9 to level 10. From my experience this system was more or less great in the "middle part" of the game. The first moments feel a bit weird (and weak) and from what I've gathered around the web, it is even harder to level after the game - I cannot say anything about this part, since as I mentioned, I just finished the game. Also, it is a bit foggy part of the game, who knows what level requirement will 2 big DLCs have and all. But through the main game itself, the system is a bit unbalanced.

is to increase amount of needed experience ot lvl up. Lvl 32 atm and still 2k exp to lvl up tho u getting exp by thousands for storyline which is wrong in all this context as for me. Before going to foggy island and (dont know how to spell in English) Kaer Morchen my quest was already gray and I started using exp mod a bit early for a reason I felt really bad about idead of gettin xp for side quests but not getting xp for main quests at all.

It's very chaotic post but I tried my best. Have a nice day.

I would be happy if the change in power between levels were smaller. If that were the case, we could have more quests closer to each other in difficulty. For example: if the large damage bonus fo rhigher level weapons were to disappear, the enemies wouldn't have to be scaled up to match. A drowner could still be a drowner (instead of having everything between level 4 and level 34 drowners). When gaining new abilities you can take on more and tougher opponents more efficiently, but the change in difficulty between quests could be in type of monster and number of monsters.

It's really kinda disappointing to hear that the overlevelling is still a problem - especially on consoles, due to the lack of mods. I am just coming back to the game after a long break (never even finished it, work got in the way, then other games) and had dearly hoped that my one big gripe - as a completionist and explorer, I was woefully overlevelled for too many new quests after a while, even new ones in just reached locations - had been addressed.

Hopefully, it will be, but if you need any more suggestions on how...

In short, area and quest and reward levels should adjust to the player's level, but the level adjustment should never be negative (lowering the area/quest level), only positive (adjusting a low level to the player's level to present appropriate challenges and rewards). Whatever you decide to do, no matter when, it should always be "relevant" and provide appropriate challenge and rewards.

Areas and Quests (both Main and Side) should have an available level range, that is determined by when you first enter the area or accept a quest.
The level should take into account both the developers' plan of progression, your character's level and the chosen difficulty.
Similarly, quest rewards, like gear and weapons, should also be raised to the newly determined quest level.
Most importantly, the level range for areas, sub-areas and quests should have a minimum level but NO maximum level.

How this would work:

Whenever you enter/discover a new area or accept a quest, its level will be determined by your character's current level - but not necessarily set TO your character's level.
Let's say you enter a new area at level 15. The area has a minimum level of 10 (set by the devs according to their plan of game progression, like it is). Since you exceed the area's level, a few adjustments will be made:
Everything in that area (free roam enemies, encounters, chest content) that has a level BELOW your own level will be raised to a higher level, depending on your difficulty, like (as a suggestion):

- Just the Story: Level adjusted to (Player level -1)
- Story and Sword: Player level
- Broken Bones: Player Level
- Death March: Player Level +1

The result would be, that no matter when you enter an area, the lowest enemies you can encounter would never be lower than the newly determined level to present a reasonable challenge (the difficulty modifications - weaker/stronger enemies, less/more damage - are not changed, after all). Similarly, if you found an unguarded chest, the contents would also never be below that level.

The areas in the Witcher 3, though, have many sub-areas of different levels, mostly higher - but those will NOT be adjusted downwards. If enemies are already higher than you are, if you're level is too low for something, it will stay that way until you level up. A level 17 enemy will still be level 17. A level 25 still 25. Only if your level is too high, will any change take place.

It would work in a similar way for quests and their rewards. When your level 15 Sword&Story character encounters/accepts/begins a quest that was level 10, it and its rewards will be raised to his own level, 15. But any quest with a level similar or above your current level will remain the way it is. But they're not locked in, until you accept/engage in them. That way, multiple stage, area-hopping quests will always remain relevant, and if you see a level 15 contract now, but don't accept it, then level up and return, it will turn into a level 16 or 17 or whatever contract once you do accept it.

To summarize:

Whenever you encounter something for the first time, you will never be too overlevelled - but you may very well be underlevelled.

In this way, completionists and explorers could take it all in, never having to worry about finding a "waste of time" side mission they are already over-levelled for but there would still be plenty of areas and quests and enemies they are woefully underlevelled for when they first encounter them.
And people only following the story missions could still do that according to the devs' plan of progression (i.e. minimum level requirements for the quests).

A system that adjusted the world around the player according to a minimum level range set by the devs and an maximum range determined by the player's level would accommodate every play style and always keep what you are doing relevant.

Last edited:
After Playing for another 6 hours or so on a new game, the overlevelling dilemma has already reared its ugly head - and I am only level 6.

If I do the primary mission for level 6, I'll be overlevelled for at least two other missions and possibly a contract, now.
If I go on a side quest for level 6, with all the stuff and ? on the way, I'll be overlevelled before I even get there, then overlevelled for the main mission.

And yes, "overlevelled" in this case is just one, maybe two levels, but the fact that it's so damn quick to happen, that by simply playing the game you can so quickly outgrow the recommended levels, knowing that with the amount of content present, it will only get worse and worse...

It's just plain frustrating and takes a LOT of the joy out of the game for people who like to explore and complete all they can...

We're RPG players... if you made side quest and Witcher contracts scale with your current level and made the story quest require you level up a bit befor each major plot point we would be happy. Side quest and contracts can still require a higher level in certain areas, the only difference is they wouldn't go Grey, keep them at green or something (for example Wraith contract would be level 22 but if you surpass that level it follows you by -2 levels so if you were level 35 it would be 33)

You would see the next story quest require a bit of leveling so you go and complete side quest and contracts to gather XP, gear or just overall combat experience. We don't really need incentive to do contracts and side quest, they're fun and have always been a welcomed experience. But if I'm 10 levels higher than the side quest the build up to a fight is gone cause you'll kill it without any problems. So there's no challenge or reward.

Doing these side quest actually ruins the game cause it makes the story mode too easy and skipping side quest to have some challenges in story quest means you'll come back to the side quest overleveled too. It's forcing us to do the exact opposite of what we want, which is to get the full experience of your game.

That's a compliment, honestly you couldn't pay me to do the side quest in a lot of other RPGs cause they're usually boring or not worth the time.

Last edited:
(Disclaimer: I was playing a translated version, so I don't know original names - I'll try to avoid using them)

For the first time I've completed TW3 on the next-to-last difficulty level, trying to get as much exp as usual: using witcher swords with experience bonuses only, trophies with exp bonus, choosing "high-toned" quest endings (more exp, less gold - or even no gold at all), using Axii wherever it's possible and so on. Of course, as a result, lots of quests (including plotline) have gone "grey". Then I've started it once again, on the highest difficulty, doing exactly opposite: swords with highest damage, quests with maximal crown reward (not that I really need them), skipping beast lairs and haunted villages, and so on - and, of course, doing quests in level order only. Did I reach my goal (to gain full exp for EVERY quest)? No. The only thing that changed was level where some quests started to become grey.

Do you know what I'm feeling now? Frustration. And, from what I read on various forums, DLC(s) do not fix this problem, so I'm not even sure that I ever buy any of them. It looks like CD Project guys have created lots of content, but... they do not want anyone to explore it fully? These "greyed" rewards just discourage any attempts... The same applies at money and loot, but I'll write about it in a more appropriate thread(s).

The easiest solution of this problem was stated in this thread already: lower "grey border" from "player level minus 5" to at least "player level minus 10". However, better alternative would be going through the whole quest list, adjusting their levels according to exp gained for ALL existing quests of lower level, at least on highest difficulty (plus some bonus from killed mobs, Axii, swords, freed villages etc). Also get rid of situation where lowlevel quest goes after highlevel in the chain. I mean, for example... final fistfighting quest is lvl11? FOR REAL?? So, to gain full exp I have to defeat several lvl25-30 opponents plus
bear and troll
with bare fists at lvl16 max? Seriouly? Also, some quests could be split in two, like "Following the Thread" (where the first part with ekimmara is lvl11, while the last part which requires voyage to Skellige is lvl16-18 ). And so on... but I guess nobody would do such a great job, so maybe go the easiest way at least (lvl-10)?

I really wish CDPR would read this...there is a major nonsense going on with this game.The lvl suggested to go to Skellige is lvl 16 yet after getting there we get story quests that are below 16.I remember having a story quest that was lvl 13...what gives?....I mean whats the point of this?...I went to Skellige when I was way above lvl 16 cuz I do not wanted to leave unfinished business in Novigrad or Velen that means not leaving major side-quests like Now or Never,Carnal Sins and etc behind.So naturally I was lvl 18 near lvl 19 when I went to Skellige if I remember right and getting there I was in the brink of losing xp for all the story quests...I don't remember right but I guess I even lost in some.This is way bad-made and unbalanced and needs a fix ASAP.

And this here below...this thing of earning less xp for quests 5 lvls below you is a major nonsense.And one of the big mistakes with Witcher 3 that makes it lose score points.

We're RPG players... if you made side quest and Witcher contracts scale with your current level and made the story quest require you level up a bit befor each major plot point we would be happy. Side quest and contracts can still require a higher level in certain areas, the only difference is they wouldn't go Grey, keep them at green or something (for example Wraith contract would be level 22 but if you surpass that level it follows you by -2 levels so if you were level 35 it would be 33)

You would see the next story quest require a bit of leveling so you go and complete side quest and contracts to gather XP, gear or just overall combat experience. We don't really need incentive to do contracts and side quest, they're fun and have always been a welcomed experience. But if I'm 10 levels higher than the side quest the build up to a fight is gone cause you'll kill it without any problems. So there's no challenge or reward.

Doing these side quest actually ruins the game cause it makes the story mode too easy and skipping side quest to have some challenges in story quest means you'll come back to the side quest overleveled too. It's forcing us to do the exact opposite of what we want, which is to get the full experience of your game.

That's a compliment, honestly you couldn't pay me to do the side quest in a lot of other RPGs cause they're usually boring or not worth the time.

This!!....man its like you've read ma mind and spoke ma words for me ha...impressive.

In NG+, in Turn and face the strange, completing the quest does nothing. At the very least we could have two more slots to equip skills since there is space and have two mutation skills activated instead of only one. I mean, whats the use of that quest if it does nothing. If you're not going to give us these perks, I'd rather have that quest omitted from NG+.
Aard seems very weak in NG+. I could equipt all skills, have sword give sign power bonus, enable Aard related mutation ability enabled, use potions, and yet, I can't knock down opponents with Aard and even if I can sometimes manage that, they quickly get up and I can't finish them off. NG+ Aard needs more power.

[Edit: Sorry, had meant to put it in another page in another tab. Hopefully a moderator will put it in the right place.]

Last edited:
In NG+, in Turn and face the strange, completing the quest does nothing. At the very least we could have two more slots to equip skills since there is space and have two mutation skills activated instead of only one. I mean, whats the use of that quest if it does nothing. If you're not going to give us these perks, I'd rather have that quest omitted from NG+.
Aard seems very weak in NG+. I could equipt all skills, have sword give sign power bonus, enable Aard related mutation ability enabled, use potions, and yet, I can't knock down opponents with Aard and even if I can sometimes manage that, they quickly get up and I can't finish them off. NG+ Aard needs more power.

[Edit: Sorry, had meant to put it in another page in another tab. Hopefully a moderator will put it in the right place.]

Post moved :)

Did you enter to that "mutagen machine" which was just before the exit?

Post moved :)

Did you enter to that "mutagen machine" which was just before the exit?

I did. Didn't see anything change for me. I'm also not using any mods right now. But it's still the 4 slots I got for completing the quest before NG+. I don't see anything new. Did I miss anything?

I did. Didn't see anything change for me. I'm also not using any mods right now. But it's still the 4 slots I got for completing the quest before NG+. I don't see anything new. Did I miss anything?

Oh sorry, somehow I figured that you were there first time :D

Then it's only for the exp I'm afraid.

Oh sorry, somehow I figured that you were there first time :D

Then it's only for the exp I'm afraid.

So I suggest they give two more slots to equipt skills when this quest is done in NG+ and two active abilities in mutations as a reward for completing it for the second time, i.e. in NG+. For next update, you know.

Last edited:
So I suggest they give to more slots to equipt skills when this quest is don't in NG+ and two active abilities in mutations as a reward for completing it for the second time, i.e. in NG+. For next update, you know.

Not a bad suggestion :)

I think it would be great to add something in between main quests and Hearts of Stone/Blood and Wine. In NG+ i have a hard time getting the levels to do the expansions so i had to resort to cheating myself the lvls for it to be able to start those expansions. There needs to be more XP in the 62 to 67 range. Maybe change some quests in Skellige to higher levels. I always go to Skellige with many quests already not giving any XP anymore.

Top Bottom