Interviews and Articles Part 2

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh I've started to pass this stuff off now when I hear it in the interviews. There's been so many weird moments in interviews due to the Interviewer or Intervewee's lack of fluent English.

We can see the Toxicity bar in every single Demo, I doubt it has been removed, that would be completely retarded. Like WAY beyond auto-refilling potions retarded.

Yeah, it's better to take these things with a grain of salt. It's a huge game with many underlying systems, it's extremely difficult for one guy to know how each of them works especially now that things are still subject to change. It's the same case with what we know about auto-refilling: an interview stated that you need to gather ingredients to make new batches of potions while others stated thet you only need to do it the first time and when upgrading the potions.

EGX developer sessions line-up announced

The Witcher 3, Dragon Age, The Division live on stage and on Twitch.
Saturday 27th September

6pm BST- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Using the latest video and gameplay stills, CD Projekt presents the various mechanics which combine to create the living and breathing world of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Last edited:
So there have been confusions in the past about things like HairWorks being present only on PC or on consoles as well. This new Nvidia slide clears up that it is planned for the future, but doesn't exist on consoles so far.

How is possible? PS4 and XBOX ONE are based on AMD.
That has nothing to do with it. Most of GameWorks features have nothing to do with NV hardware. There are a few effects like APEX Turbulence that need a Nvidia GPU but the rest doesn't rely on Nvidia GPU.

HairWorks uses DirectCompute instead of CUDA for example, opening it up for both Nvidia and AMD.
APEX Destruction/Clothing doesn't need a Nvidia GPU either.(Clothing used to, but not anymore).

I suspect since NVIDIA Turbulence shows "planned" then in a future SDK update, games won't need a NV GPU for it anymore.

How is possible? PS4 and XBOX ONE are based on AMD.

NVidia has been busily optimizing and porting PhysX and other Gamesworks programs to x86-64 and DirectCompute for quite some time now, which opens other platforms up to these technologies..

The latest Metro Redux games are a perfect example. They updated the PhysX SDK from 2.8 to 3.3, which gave it a MASSIVE boost in performance when running Advanced PhysX on the CPU. I've tested it personally. Provided you have a strong CPU like a Core i7 (preferably overclocked), you can enable the Advanced PhysX effects without any significant performance hit. Before the upgrade to PhysX SDK 3.3, running the Advanced PhysX option on the CPU would result in a massive hit to the frame rate no matter how powerful your CPU was.

This did require some sacrifice however. Some of the interactivity was scaled back, but the overall quality was not diminished.. Interactivity typically requires a lot more processing power, and is more naturally suited to hardware acceleration..

As for the consoles, the planning of the incorporation of advanced PhysX effects says to me that NVidia will be exploiting their compute capabilities. The consoles were always meant to use the compute units for heavy processing, as their CPUs are very weak...

^This pretty much. The latest SDK is great and has a lot of SIMD(CPU) optimizations that is why so many games are using/opting-to-use these finally.

Now let's not take this offtopic any further...

No TXAA for Witcher 3? Pity.
That list seems incomplete because I remember more things from NVIDIA/GameWorks that TW3 is supposed to be using and TXAA was one of them.

One of the older images I could find has TXAA mentioned for example.

CDProjektRED has an ubersampling, which looks way better and less blurry than TXAA. But takes more FPS than TXAA of course.

You can do "ubersampling" in almost 90% of the games within the last 10 years it's not something unique to CDPR.

Ubersampling or more correctly called Supersampling/SSAA is the worst form of AA when it comes to performance and it will only clean up object/surface etc jaggies. TXAA also eliminates TEMPORAL aliasing which SSAA does not. Temporal meaning things like flickering objects, z-fight like yellow lines between two different objects etc. Temporal SMAA does that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom