Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so it's the people who whine about downgrades that should be "rightfully" mocked, not the developers who downgrade their games.
I think it's directed at those who mindlessly yell "Downgrade" at everything and don't bother backing it up and just continue to yell it. At least that's how I interpret it.

Oh, so it's the people who whine about downgrades that should be "rightfully" mocked, not the developers who downgrade their games.

No its the act of falsely advertising your game, and than the hilariously paranoid victims it has created which cry foul at anything, and everything that are being mocked.

After looking at the illumination and textures on those latest screenshots.. I'm now wondering if my GTX Titan will really run it.

I think we can say that there is no game on the market with this level of attention to detail, I mean look at the clothes, the swords, the building, the materials, how the trees and paths are placed.. Its all so natural, so believable, every picture looks a painting.

Just take a moment and try to observe the details.

After looking at the illumination and textures on those latest screenshots.. I'm now wondering if my GTX Titan will really run it.

I think we can say that there is no game on the market with this level of attention to detail, I mean look at the clothes, the swords, the building, the materials, how the trees and paths are placed.. Its all so natural, so believable, every picture looks a painting.

The game still looks great but that's not really the point.

An idea of something can be mocked without attacking any people, are we really doing this? Actually no we're not, we're getting back on topic right this moment.

My rig

Quad Core Q9950 2.83 GB

Geforce GTX 750 TI 2 GB

6 Ram.

I am expecting to be able to run the game at medium with either 60, or 30 FPS. So If I can do that than your titan should hold up.

The latest batch of screenshots looks brighter and more saturated than before. Doesn't look much different to me on a technical level. Something to note is that all of those latest screenshots have similar times of day and weather conditions. I'll reserve judgement.

Screenshots mean zilch. Official screenshots of any game look better then the actual game does.

I look forward to the news & articles being published tomorrow so this thread can finally be closed and forgotten.

The same media that a lot of gamers distrust these days? Seriously if that's your argument then no. Also people are still waiting for that redone version of the Elder Blood trailer that you said, in this very thread I might add, would be put on youtube.

The only thing that will shut people up is gameplay footage that looks as good as VGX.

Last edited:
Things in these new screenshots do look slightly inconsistent, but overall, they're f*cking amazing. I don't think I'll notice a somewhat inferior texture on a wall 20 meters away while playing the game for real. I can't wait for the gameplay video and Q&A.

One of those games has higher resolution textures and noticeably better lighting. Can you guess which one?
It's The Witcher 3.

Dragon Age Inquisition was a cross-generation game (it also came out on PS3 and Xbox360.) So it's to be expected that it won't look as good as next-generation exclusives like TW3 and EVOLVE.

i don't see better lighting on the witcher 3 yet from what it is right now DAI using Frostbite 3, the best lighting engine with cryengine 3 and maybe UE4.

The latest batch of screenshots looks brighter and more saturated than before. Doesn't look much different to me on a technical level. Something to note is that all of those latest screenshots have similar times of day and weather conditions. I'll reserve judgement.

This, I would almost say that the game looks a tad cartoony now when comparing it to earlier pictures (especially when looking at the characters).
Overall it still makes me feel like some heavy concessions had to be made in comparison to the earlier trailers, but when remembering that it is open world one should not be too harsh and these newest pics look good.

"Heavy concessions" is a bit strong, isn't it?
The screenshots we've just seen look just as high quality as the ones we were shown before.
Of course when a game like the Witcher 3 is so hyped, it is inevitable that people build it up in their own heads to be 10x greater than any game could possibly achieve, and then blame everything other than their own imagination for why the game isn't coming up to their standards.

The screenshots we've just seen look just as high quality as the ones we were shown before.
Of course when a game like the Witcher 3 is so hyped, it is inevitable that people build it up in their own heads to be 10x greater than any game could possibly achieve, and then blame everything other than their own imagination for why the game isn't coming up to their standards.
Some cases you vision shows right, but most of them don't if we look at analytical critics, like comparing one gameplay to another and see the differences in quality, real ones. Not everything is imagination, just that you can't see.

---------- Updated at 09:29 AM ----------

I think it's directed at those who mindlessly yell "Downgrade" at everything and don't bother backing it up and just continue to yell it. At least that's how I interpret it.

In a democracy you can yell without the need of a backing it up. When you start to censor that, you keep only one voice, so not need of a truth anymore since is not any different point of view, based or not.

I don't think that is quite the case. The latest images are not as impressive as earlier showings, however I don't believe they have enabled all the visual fx in the latest builds. Seems like there are many post processing effects missing or set to low.

Old Novigrad image

Latest build Novigrad image

When comparing the latest screenshots to the earlier ones and the trailers with them (Two Swords for example) you can see a difference in quality (in my opinion that is). You may disagree but there is some foundation for it without just pointing at someone and blaming it on his imagination and acting like it is just the ramblings of a crazy person (not to mention that you are disrespectful by doing so).

Again, not saying that it looks bad, far from it, but I and some others do see a difference, make of it what you will.

I don't think that is quite the case. The latest images are not as impressive as earlier showings, however I don't believe they have enabled all the visual fx in the latest builds. Seems like there are many post processing effects missing or set to low.

Old Novigrad image

Latest build Novigrad image

I'm not sure this proves anything, since it's quite obvious that both photos have gone through a different editing process. And until we've seen the game played on the highest settings it's impossible to say that there has been a "downgrade"

But I really don't want to get into an argument over this. For me the graphics are not the most important thing. I care about gameplay, and I would happily play a game that looked like the Witcher 2 if it has the gameplay the Witcher 3 is supposedly offering.

When comparing the latest screenshots to the earlier ones and the trailers with them (Two Swords for example) you can see a difference in quality (in my opinion that is). You may disagree but there is some foundation for it without just pointing at someone and blaming it on his imagination and acting like it is just the ramblings of a crazy person (not to mention that you are disrespectful by doing so).

Again, not saying that it looks bad, far from it, but I and some others do see a difference, make of it what you will.

Of course there will be differences, the game is being developed. For example, the old screenshots lack all sorts of post-processing effects, which were compensated for with sharpening and colour filters. Just because something looks different (in this case, you think it's too colourful, iirc) does not mean it is worse on a technical level. If anything, this is the best the game has looked so far in terms of visual fidelity. That's not a downgrade, it's changes being made as the developers iterate upon their product, that's why it's called work-in-progress footage. It's subject to change. It's something we as consumers have to live with, if we want to have more early looks at games, while they're being developed.

The only thing that's happening here is the devs being encouraged not to give us early glimpses of their products in the future.

Of course there will be differences, the game is being developed. For example, the old screenshots lack all sorts of post-processing effects, which were compensated for with sharpening and colour filters. Just because something looks different (in this case, you think it's too colourful, iirc) does not mean it is worse on a technical level. If anything, this is the best the game has looked so far in terms of visual fidelity. That's not a downgrade, it's changes being made as the developers iterate upon their product, that's why it's called work-in-progress footage. It's subject to change. It's something we as consumers have to live with, if we want to have more early looks at games, while they're being developed.

The only thing that's happening here is the devs being encouraged not to give us early glimpses of their products in the future.

Simply the truth ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom