Should I play Witcher 2 first?

+
Should I play Witcher 2 first?

Will it be possible to play from a Witcher 2 save in Witcher 3, and will it have any effect on my Witcher 3 story?

You can, many people enjoyed it, hence the following for W3. Not for everyone though (and I enjoyed both earlier games far more with the FCR mods active).

You *might* have some equipment carried across with a save game, but the "world state" will be modified in game in the absence of a save state, because of the PS4/XB1 users not having the possibility to run the earlier titles (and there also being many PC users who won't have played the earlier games, which are on older technologies (especially the first).

I would... but it isn't absolutely required.

Will it be possible to play from a Witcher 2 save in Witcher 3, and will it have any effect on my Witcher 3 story?

Aye, you should. :yes But you don't have to if you don't want to. :happy:

Anyway, instead of importing saves and previous choices from previous games (quite a few choices I might add) you apparently can choose from these even as a new player, (and correct Dandelion) while he recaps the story so far.

Well, that is my impression anyway.

I heard only fan translations exist for the later books?
Yes, but I guess they're good enough...Maybe some forum member can confirm this, cause i don't know - I read Sapkowski in my native language ;)

My point is that playing games after reading the books is completely different experience...

Witcher 1 I prefer of the two, but they're practically neck and neck in terms of quality. 1 and 2 are both the best RPG's out there. The #1 thing is I warn people about the first game's combat. It's not going to be for everyone. I personally really enjoy Witcher 1's combat, but can say for sure that 2 has way better combat. My friend played through Witcher 1 and 2 and he didn't like the first due to the combat. However, he said the story, atmosphere and music was still amazing in the first. He liked the second a lot more in terms of gameplay though and he said it still continued the excellent story and well written characters the first had.

there's quite a disconnect between step 1 and 2 for english speaking people only lol. I heard only fan translations exist for the later books?

english translation of the book is quite bad. the french one is the best imo, but u have to speak french :(

And yes the step are :

1 : books

2 : witcher 1

3 : witcher 2

english translation of the book is quite bad. the french one is the best imo, but u have to speak french :(

And yes the step are :

1 : books

2 : witcher 1

3 : witcher 2

Don't be so rude with fan translators. They do it volunteer and for free. But if you're speaking about official trnaslations, here, I don't know.

You don't need to play any of the pervious titles of the witcher to understand the sequel. BUT, you MUST read the BOOKS to have a FEEL about the CHARACTERS in the TW3.

Yes --it will have an effect. But you get to choose the major choices you made in TW1 and TW2 at the start of TW3 even if you don't import a save. As far as we know there is only one choice you can only have by importing a save --and that's whether or not Geralt has a certain tattoo you get in a side-quest in TW2.

For that reason I don't recommend playing it before playing TW3. The Witcher 2 is a difficult game to get invested in if you haven't played the first game or read the books. And I recommend reading the books more plan playing The Witcher 2. Even if you only have time to read The Last Wish and Sword Of Destiny.

If you were planning on playing The Witcher 2 already then, by all means, go for it! But I don't recommend playing it simply to prepare for The Witcher 3. For that, I would even recommend playing TW1 more than playing TW2.

Last edited:
The English fan translations are fine. Googling should be enough to find them.

As for playing the Witcher 2 -- it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. I would encourage it. If you can't play the first Witcher game because you're weak due to not enjoying it, read the gamepedia wiki on the plot before you play the Witcher 2. I think it would be weird starting the Witcher 2 knowing nothing about the previous game, is all.

The best translation is clearly the German one, sorry. ;)

Edit: 1000 posts, yeha! :p

I kindly desagree. The best one is the Spanish translation. J.M Faraldo make peasants speak with different accents and lexicon, as noble ones conversation is more culte. The name of items and tools, and clothes are quite acuratte, and the immersion is absolutly recpectful with Sapkowski's world.

Top Bottom