The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really guys, the game has gone gold and will be released in about two weeks. What is is even the point in arguing if there may or may not be a downgrade in visuals? Seems to me like there are more useful things which one can spend his precious time on. :p Just my opinion.

You have 0 proof this is novigrad but keep to insist it and post a screen which cleary shows two different locations..
On the other hand a journlaist who played the she-elf scene says it's Oxenfurt. So indeed :facepalm:

Good grief.

This entire Oxenfurt or Novigrad argument isn't even fucking relevant to the point B l a d y was trying to make.

The point being (Or at least what I assume) that in comparison to the VGX/Debut Trailers, the draw distance appears to have taken a big hit. Now I'm currently torn, because there's some moments where the draw distance does seem pretty poor in comparison, but then other moments (Like that recent Facebook video from up on the highest point in Skellige) where the draw distance still is fucking crazy and almost, if not the same, distance as those trailers.

Frankly I'm just going to hold my hat for another 2 weeks, and find out. Fuck knows I've got the PC to run it at Max to find out.

Last edited:
I'm honestly not sure what IS relevant to Blady's post.
Unless there's an actual explanation (using words, not some cryptic link or images), maybe the whole thing should be dropped... deleted... something.

Which was more than just a suggestion, by the way. Post deleted.

Last edited:
Really guys, the game has gone gold and will be released in about two weeks. What is is even the point in arguing if there may or may not be a downgrade in visuals? Seems to me like there are more useful things which one can spend his precious time on. :p Just my opinion.

I think it's reasonable to discuss the graphics and their evolution, but it has to be in good faith, specific if possible and backed by evidence. Which is really hard given the complex weather and lighting conditions. It only takes a single occurrence to prove that an effect still exists so we have to be rigorous in how we look at this stuff. Which is why I personally think this latest discussion about the view distance is bullshit, or at least fallacious.

I mean for god's sake, at these scales increases in draw distances aren't even likely to be that high of a burden. Without a proper comparison, which the recent footage doesn't provide, this doesn't make any technical sense.

Edit : meant far away draw distances. What really hurts performance is the amount/draw distance of nearby objects. Think Skyrim cells.

Last edited:
CA toggle on consoles?

Hey guys, I heard that you can toggle this effect on/off on PC, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the console versions can also turn it off? I despise the effect and really hope that CDPR give us the options to turn it off on consoles too.

Thanks.

That's a lot of questions and there's a lot of different things to talk about to give you a satisfying answer. I don't claim to know exactly what's what and I might be flat-out wrong on many things. That being said, I've been asking myself the same questions since the youtube embargo lift, so here goes :).
Thank you SO much. This is EXACTLY what I needed. You sir have gone above and beyond in getting me up to speed. I would give you all my red points if I could.

BTW what do RED points do? Haha

I personaly don't care if there is a downgrade. What matters is immersion. WoW, even for its time, was a mediocre looking game based on a technical level. But the art and - most importantly- the solidity of the world still makes it one of the most immersive games today.

The only big problem that I see in W3 is the constant pop up/pop in. The entire world as you move just fades in and out. grass appearing under your feet as you go at some points. That's the only serious problem which I hoped CD would minimize. It is not only the streaming of the open world that creates the problem, the engine or the coding has some limitations that other games don't suffer from. I remind you that the same problems existed on W2.

Anyways, it is too late for that now anyway. The game generally looks excellent, if not spectacular.

Dying light is crap. Secondly the maps are tiny, the same geometry used for buildings. The W3 is huge.. bloody huge.. There thousands of characters walking around, moving cloth is not really important, there has been downgrades obviously, the game still look amazing, do I wish we had the visuals shown? hell yes. Has it been downgraded for consol parity.. i truly truly hope CD would'nt do that.

They are the best devs out there and have the most respect of any company in the business from the community, they know that, so I don't think they would shaft us unless m$ paid some top dolla to keep them all looking the same. Features have gone, ones that us graphics whores all wanted, what can we do about? nothing, CD must of had ligit reasons.

Well, i was just asking.

We all know they are different game with different details. I was just using Dying Light for example because i don't see it in other games (i don't play alot of games). We can say small details are not important, the same goes for beards/hairs. So if moving hairs/beards is important to some people, i don't see why moving clothes is not important. And i think hair tech cost more GPU than cloth tech.

No need to be too opinionated. I was just asking, and now i can safely assume it's not in this game.

There's cloth physics in TW3, but probably not for every character/NPC. As a lot of people wear armour of some kind, and monsters don't wear clothes, it's also probably a lot less necessary.

Hey guys, I heard that you can toggle this effect on/off on PC, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the console versions can also turn it off? I despise the effect and really hope that CDPR give us the options to turn it off on consoles too.

Thanks.

Thought you at least deserved some kind of response, because your post seems to be getting lost amongst this thread.

When we got the response about it having a toggle on PC, people asked about consoles as well but never received a response. Educated guess based on the fact that very, very few console games offer graphical customization, would say you probably won't have a toggle, but console folk will just have to wait and see.

How in fucks' name is an 8.5km square map supposed to have a 25km draw distance... hyperbole much?

I am avoiding the spoilers as best, so I don't know many technical details, however...

If like The Elder Scrolls games, there could be an outlying map of lower detail, that is not explorable, but their for sake of realism? Does somone know if Wild Hunt map is like this?

Witcher 3 glitch Invisible trees

hi guys I saw some footages of the game which I pre orded and in all the footage I saw when the person walked near a tree and moved his screen the tree went invisible.. It's in all game footages I saw am I the only one who sees it? Because it annoys me.

I think it is a gameplay decision.
They can't have the trees block the camera, because it gets annoying after a while especially in a game like Wild Hunt which is full of trees and vegetation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom