Adam Kiciński about TW3 delay

+
Adam Kiciński about TW3 delay

A brief interview Adam Kiciński gave Polish Press Agency, as published here: http://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/CD-...u-motywacyjnego-po-2014-r-wywiad-3079132.html

I translated his statements, as only they have any relevance.

"The formal decision to delay the game was made today, but we've pondered on it for the last couple of days. Back in January when we've stated that things were on schedule, we were convinced they were so indeed."

"We could have published the game this year, but after playing it repeatedly we've concluded it's worthwhile to move the game a bit, to be sure we're going to deliver a really polished product. During the development we started to aim higher than we originally planned. Now we've concluded it's worthwhile to use a bit more time to further polish the game. Delaying the game by four months doesn't constitute a fundamental change for the company."

"We haven't yet started the paid marketing campaign and getting pre-orders, so nothing changes cost-wise, we don't have to give the money back to anyone."

"Delaying the launch will increase production costs a bit, as it implies more man-hours. Having more time we can optimize the production better. Because of the stake we're playing for, the additional costs aren't really that important."

"I don't believe we've erred anywhere. It's not the matter of a single critical line failing."

"All the things we've announced earlier, i.e. comics, board game both paper and for tablets, and one more new thing that will be announced next week, all those will be published this year as planned."

"It's too early to say whether Cyberpunk could make its debut next year. We're working on the game, but I will agree that there is no reason for two large premieres taking place in one year."

"During the development we started to aim higher than we originally planned."

"Delaying the game by four months"

That stands out for me particularly, i wonder if any of those things they started aiming higher for are the result of the forum's suggestions. And it seems they could've released the game in october? good to know.

Thanks for the translation and finding the article.

That stands out for me particularly, i wonder if any of those things they started aiming higher for are the result of the forum's suggestions. And it seems they could've released the game in october? good to know.

I would take a wild stab and say it had something to do with the graphics.

Guess we'll never know.

I would take a wild stab and say it had something to do with the graphics.
Careful, lest there be some more stabbing involving a certain person.

Last edited:

:hatsoff:
to the developers for being forthright about the delay and the reasons for it.

Still, the cynical old-time developer in me wants to call "feature creep" on hearing statements like "during the development we started to aim higher than we originally planned." That's the danger of thinking fan suggestions should control what the developers do.

Before this fragment:
All the things we've announced earlier, i.e. comics, board game both paper and for tablets, and one more new thing that will be announced next week, all those will be published this year as planned.

The article says: "also [the company] informed about an upcoming unannounced project"

So the new "thing" might be the new unannounced project.

Yeah, the article was pretty much reiterating what Kiciński said in each next paragraph, so I decided translating it would be pointless.

And pretty much every thing is a project, even had it been an Easter post card. So it can be a game just as well as any other random collectible.

I do hope it's a game, though. I mean, with TW3 delayed, a game in mid-2014 would surely keep people interested in the franchise, plus it would generate healthy income (especially since it would most likely utilize the noise TW3 already generated). But, we shall see.

:hatsoff:
to the developers for being forthright about the delay and the reasons for it.

Still, the cynical old-time developer in me wants to call "feature creep" on hearing statements like "during the development we started to aim higher than we originally planned." That's the danger of thinking fan suggestions should control what the developers do.

They've managed fan and critic input about as well as I've seen it done, so far. I've quite a bit of confidence in them on that front. My guess is they're having a hard time reigning their own ambitions in, as well as bug fixing and polishing.

They have told us they are working on that long ago. :)

Out of curiosity, what did we have a problem with Novigrad about? I remember people saw a small city in game and thought it was Novigrad and were mad because it was small until the developers said it was another city, but other than that I don't remember anything...

Out of curiosity, what did we have a problem with Novigrad about? I remember people saw a small city in game and thought it was Novigrad and were mad because it was small until the developers said it was another city, but other than that I don't remember anything...

The city you briefly see in the debut trailer is Novigrad and people were concerned about it's size, since it looked kind of small for "the biggest city in the Northern Kingdoms", so the devs assured us that it's being worked on, and I got to say it's looking good in the VGX trailer. The thing you mention was actually a piece of artwork that turned out not to be Novigrad.

Oh, there's been a long ton of criticism over what people thought was the size of Novigrad in the game and what they thought it should be.

And I mean "long ton" as in a nightmare my great-grandfather had where he watched helplessly as a long ton of peas was dumped on his family.

By the way of real-world comparison, Veliky Novgorod, the leading city of the Novgorod Republic, was at its largest just 5,300 households. The reasons for complaining over the size of in-game Novigrad have long escaped me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom