CD PROJEKT RED x Twitch: Support A Streamer

+
Exactly. It's a goddamn skin. Something that has absolutely no effect on your game. It's not even some unique weapon. It's a damn smart rifle. You already have those in your game.

From a consumer standpoint, it's pretty easy. Don't care about something that has zero effect on the game? Don't care about something that doesn't add any kind of meaningful content to the game?

Then don't subscribe.

You're acting as if CDPR is trying to scam you out of your share of the El Dorado.

CDPR isn't pushing some kind of awesome additional DLC through Twitch. It's a skin for a weapon that already exists.

I swear some people think every company out there is acting like they're twisting their arm into buying stuff they don't need. Don't like it? Don't need it? Move on. That's all. It's a nice move for streamers, it's free publicity for their newest product and you don't have any obligation to buy it.
Its about principles, and it always starts small. They said no locked content, you buy game and you get everything... Now all of a sudden this twitch nonsense. So sorry, it is a problem in my book aswell, unless they make it avaliable for the rest of us that bought the fame and the expansion and just dont care about twitch. Not only do i own the game and the expansion, both were pre ordered to show them support and on GOG... And now i have to waste my time on this twitch nonsense to get the full deal? Thats BS coming from CDPR. Support twitch all you want, whatever, but make it avaliable in game through gameplay... Or support twitch in some other way without locking content from your customers.
Post automatically merged:

Is this exclusive skin for this twitch stuff or will we be able to get it via other means in the game? I remember hearing you saying something like: buy the game you get all the content, no microtransactions, no BS... Granted this is not a microtransactions but it is BS if its locked from the rest of us that own the game and the expansion because we simply dont care about twitch.... so i hope thats not the case, because i dont remember hearing you saying: you will have to make a twitch account to get the full deal.... It might be just a skin but idc, it aint right to make it unavaliable from peeps that bought the game and the expansion just because they dont care about twitch...

Last edited:
This will 100% be a twitch exclusive, and Honestly WHO CARES.

Twitch has been doing free drops for a long time and has recently been pushing the support a streamer campaign, Many Dev Studios participate in those campaigns. It's just a fun little extra for the twitch community, and it helps smaller streamers get some views and maybe some subs, nothing more. You're 100% getting the "Full Deal" you're getting every single piece of content in the game that has any actual meaning to game play and story, this is just a little something extra for a small section of fans that choose to participate.

Honestly would people be as upset if it was a "Free" twitch drop, but they don't have a linked twitch account?... also do people feel this way about the Pre-order bonuses PL has them? because anyone who waits for a review misses out on that but are paying the same price just maybe a day too late? OR the bonuses items you get for the rewards club thing if you link your account to GoG (Assuming you bought it on a different platform) ? What about every single game in the past that has run exclusive skin/content/xp pack deals with real life brands, like KFC or McDonalds or Mountain Dew, getting redeemable codes with valid purchases? It's just fun promotional stuff, it hurts no one and it shouldn't be a big deal. Especially since it's not even really "Content" it's just a silly promotional item, and none of the money goes to CDPR it goes to the streamers, Subbing on Twitch is about the equivalent of "tipping" at a coffee shop, if you like the service tip, if it's not for you don't. I probably won't be subbing to anyone at least not specifically for this skin, but if a streamer is really informative or entertaining, and I choose to sub because of their content, it's nice to get a little reward for doing something I would have done anyway.

And with that said again I implore people, just have fun with it, it's not that serious, it's all just supposed to be a nice thing for streamers and their fans. SO please let's all relax a bit and just try to enjoy things without getting so bent out of shape. And again, to the streamers, good luck, have fun, hopefully this helps your channels a bit if you're taking part. Look Forward to seeing you all on the 26th!

As is evident in this very thread, there are enough people who care.

But if that's not enough, could always go ask on Steam forums how everyone feels about it. Bet they'd be thrilled to hear about a 5$ reskinned weapon.

But again, my Question is, why are people so angry over something special for community engagement? There are literally hundreds or more examples of community/event based in game rewards. Getting a special skin for attending an event, getting an item code for shopping at a certain store, getting some reward for being part of a beta test, or Pre-order Bonuses, which are also locked behind a timed paywall. So many more small little "badges" to show that "I took part in this event" exist.

None of those things seem to get the same backlash this is getting. This is not CDPR taking advantage or selling anything, CDPR does not get the money, CDPR is not opening an in game transaction market, this is not a gateway to aggressive or unethical monetization like other games have done. It is literally just a little bonus for engaging with other community members, and any money that changes hand is going straight from a viewer to a twitch streamer, CDPR takes 0 profit.

Trust me I get not wanting to pay for the skin, I won't be. But there are so many more egregious examples of greed and microtransactions, and this is just not that. It's a very small community driven promotional thing, that has literally 0 impact on actual content, and should be fun for people who like it and easy to ignore for people who don't, This should not be a controversy.

I wouldn't say people are angry, just disappointed because CDPR doesn't do microtransactional DLC at all so it's weird seeing an exclusively reskinned weapon offered for 5$. As I've been saying myself they could have made it a simple Twitch Drop which would be completely alright with me, but they haven't so the only positive thing I can say about this event is; thank God they had the hindsight not to put up anything actually meaningful, like a reskinned vehicle.

But to answer a few of your questions;
  • Honestly would people be as upset if it was a "Free" twitch drop, but they don't have a linked twitch account?...
I can't speak for others, but would be completely alright with me.

Twitch Drops in fact provide far more exposure and support because it's open to the entire community, so by having to stay in a stream for 30/60/120 minutes you get a chance to actually get a feel of the person streaming. I've personally discovered countless of small streamers this way which I follow to this day, precisely because I had their streams on in the background and listening to them stream as I do my work.

But by this being a paywalled event the amount of people participating will be significantly lower. At the end of the day it's not 5$ for a one-time event that helps streamers, it's high viewer count and followers. A high viewer count can help a streamer entirely break the mold at the right moment in the streaming industry and become someone of note. 5$ won't do that.
  • Also do people feel this way about the Pre-order bonuses PL has them?
Nope, I think PL's preorder bonus is absolutely classy. It's not an exclusive in-game item, just an early unlock for a vehicle everyone has access to.

- Cyberpunk 2077 Preorder - Everyone has access to it
- Phantom Liberty Preorder - Everyone has access to it
- Support A Streamer - Exclusive in-game content for 5$

Had they made an early-unlock of some weapon or a vehicle for this event, would be completely fine. But they knew exactly what they were doing, because imagine the people's reactions had Phantom Liberty had an exclusive preorder item.
  • OR the bonuses items you get for the rewards club thing if you link your account to GoG (Assuming you bought it on a different platform)?
I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I'm perfectly alright with the promotional GOG items. They're free and available to anyone who cares about obtaining them. The key note is that they're free and available.
  • What about every single game in the past that has run exclusive skin/content/xp pack deals with real life brands, like KFC or McDonalds or Mountain Dew, getting redeemable codes with valid purchases?
Unfortunately many games started exploiting its fanbase, which is why I personally do not buy games which actively do this by splicing up in-game content and monetizing it. CDPR despite what happened to them at launch, I still love because they stick to their principles in terms of respecting the fans by not exploiting them with microtransactions and stuff.

Or so I thought until now, this may as well be a turning point for the company to start with this BS.
  • and none of the money goes to CDPR it goes to the streamers. Subbing on Twitch is about the equivalent of "tipping" at a coffee shop, if you like the service tip, if it's not for you don't.
It's not about who the money goes to though, it's about who's doing it. It's an exclusive in-game item being dangled towards the fans by CDPR because they organized this event, a company which prides itself on not doing any microtransactional exclusivity BS with in-game content, which is what they've done here.

Last edited:
Wow i thougth the pre order car was exlusive. Good that it isent since i dont like that kinda things or exlusive items overall. Hate to use the "slippery slope" argument here but i dont think they have ever done any pre order stuff or special editions extras. We shall se how this develops but i will not get the skin or the pre order this time around atleast.

But again, my Question is, why are people so angry over something special for community engagement? There are literally hundreds or more examples of community/event based in game rewards. Getting a special skin for attending an event, getting an item code for shopping at a certain store, getting some reward for being part of a beta test, or Pre-order Bonuses, which are also locked behind a timed paywall. So many more small little "badges" to show that "I took part in this event" exist.

None of those things seem to get the same backlash this is getting. This is not CDPR taking advantage or selling anything, CDPR does not get the money, CDPR is not opening an in game transaction market, this is not a gateway to aggressive or unethical monetization like other games have done. It is literally just a little bonus for engaging with other community members, and any money that changes hand is going straight from a viewer to a twitch streamer, CDPR takes 0 profit.

Trust me I get not wanting to pay for the skin, I won't be. But there are so many more egregious examples of greed and microtransactions, and this is just not that. It's a very small community driven promotional thing, that has literally 0 impact on actual content, and should be fun for people who like it and easy to ignore for people who don't, This should not be a controversy.

There isn't much to understand here.

It's largely manufactured outrage because some people can't stand the thought of not getting absolutely trivial stuff that other people get. They'll use whatever mental gymnastic is necessary to justify the outrage.

Furthermore, as far as I saw, the outrage is limited to a very small number or people. Another small number seems to celebrate this and the vast majority doesn't seem to care at all. It isn't much of a controversy because most recognize this as a minor marketing stunt that isn't diminishing anyone else's game.

If it was locking some meaningful content behind this, I'd be right up there with the outrage but this a paint job for a gun we all have access to.

But people love getting outraged these days.

I'm not going to get it either. I have zero interest in Twitch and a skin isn't going to get my attention. Still, I wish all the best to the streamers who participate and hopefully this stuff doesn't spill into their streams

I have concerns with this as well. Great idea to have a skin promote community engagement. Bad implementation here, surely there is a more effective way to engage the community rather than gifting money to specifically chosen Twitch accounts. What's also happening here is Amazon gathers valuable marketing data from unsuspecting Cyberpunk gamers including potential banking information. There is no way CDPR is doing this alone, they definitely either contacted or were in contact from Amazon for this twitch deal. I mean, wonderful strategy to sneak into a new market by Amazon leadership, a boss somewhere is getting a pay raise. Sort of unethical actually.

Honestly guys, it is just a skin in pixels...literally. Some of the things mentioned here, are really unjustified and rather degrading towards a company that brought us one of the best games of all times (if not the best). Personally I am more concerned as far as how "small", the streamers to be chosen, will be. And how much effort, they have placed in their streams, as far as Cyberpunk goes or in general.

Last edited:
Wow i thougth the pre order car was exlusive. Good that it isent since i dont like that kinda things or exlusive items overall. Hate to use the "slippery slope" argument here but i dont think they have ever done any pre order stuff or special editions extras. We shall se how this develops but i will not get the skin or the pre order this time around atleast.
Back in the day, when The Witcher 2 launched, CDPR did a bunch of vendor-exclusive in-game items. So, if you bought the game at GameStop, you would get item X etc. They later reversed this policy after admitting it was bad for the customer, and unlocked all of these exclusive items with a patch for everyone and adopted a policy of not locking in-game content behind any sort of exclusivity going forward.

So, it's just puzzling to see them repeat the same mistake 10 or so years later. Almost as puzzling is seeing people trying to tell other people what they're allowed to be disappointed by as customers.

Back in the day, when The Witcher 2 launched, CDPR did a bunch of vendor-exclusive in-game items. So, if you bought the game at GameStop, you would get item X etc. They later reversed this policy after admitting it was bad for the customer, and unlocked all of these exclusive items with a patch for everyone and adopted a policy of not locking in-game content behind any sort of exclusivity going forward.

So, it's just puzzling to see them repeat the same mistake 10 or so years later. Almost as puzzling is seeing people trying to tell other people what they're allowed to be disappointed by as customers.

For the record, I personally don't have issue with people being "Disappointed as a customer"... I just think maybe put the pitchforks away, like this is not a step towards turning into EA levels of microtransactions. It's just something that's not for everyone, as I've said, I don't think $5 for a skin is something I'm interested in.

Perfectly fine to feel disappointed or not want to participate, another thing to act like this is some horrible, terrible, predatory thing CDPR is doing. At least that is the point I've been trying to make, many publishers have done much worse when it comes to exclusive content, I think it's the all caps, hate that gets thrown at them over something so minor (In my opinion) that bothers me personally. Like fine it's cool to not like it, I just wish everyone would take it a little less seriously.... but I guess that's just the internet.

Last edited:
For the record, I personally don't have issue with people being "Disappointed as a customer"... I just think maybe put the pitchforks away, like this is not a step towards turning into EA levels of microtransactions. It's just something that's not for everyone, as I've said, I don't think $5 for a skin is something I'm interested in.

Perfectly fine to feel disappointed or not want to participate, another thing to act like this is some horrible, terrible, predatory thing CDPR is doing. At least that is the point I've been trying to make, many publishers have done much worse when it comes to exclusive content, I think it's the all caps, hate that gets thrown at them over something so minor (In my opinion) that bothers me personally. Like fine it's cool to not like it, I just wish everyone would take it a little less seriously.... but I guess that's just the internet.
I'm not sure I really understand why any of this is being equated to "outrage" and "pitchforks in hand". I imagine it's got something to do with the nature of written communication, where the tone is impossible to convey.

I promise you I'm not sat here fuming about an in-game skin. I do find it disappointing though - like I said, this is a situation where a company is hypocritically engaging in what it has previously acknowledged is anti-consumer behaviour. And I'm simply expressing my opinion on that behaviour, or are we only allowed to voice our disagreement with CDPR's actions if we're outraged?

I completely understand the point of "it's just a skin, I don't really care about it" - what I don't understand is the point of "therefore you shouldn't care about it either, and if you do, then you're just being nonsensical and outraged". Like, how does that make any sense whatsoever and how is it conducive to keeping a conversation respectful? I also find it strange that the same people seemingly hold the opinion that an "outrage" would apparently be justified if this was more than a skin. Like, even then, I don't think "pitchforks" and "outrage" would be acceptable, it's just video games.

Last edited:
Yea while EA is alot worse at these kinda things just like most game publishers are nowdays its not really a good argument. Theres allways going to be those that take advantage of this and charge way to much for skins/transmogs/season passes/Xpboosts/repboosts so on. Doesnt mean i like seeing a less predetary tactic used for games that DID not have it before. Heck i atleast expect it form the others.. Im not angry either i just dont care for it and ill not be buying it now anyways, no matter the extras you get. Only thing you can do is vote with your wallet and or pre orders and im exercising that right.

I'm not sure I really understand why any of this is being equated to "outrage" and "pitchforks in hand". I imagine it's got something to do with the nature of written communication, where the tone is impossible to convey.

For what it's worth, I actually don't think anything you've said falls into that category, However, other people on the forums here as well as some other places online YouTube/reddit/etc... that I've seen definitely has even in this thread things got a little heated early on, and I promise I'm not trying to retread that ground, just saying, I don't think it's all that serious.

I'm not trying to be the tone police or anything, I just think some people have maybe made a mountain out of a molehill here, and said some wild stuff about CDPR, again not calling anyone out, especially not your post. But more of a general vibe some people seem to bring to the topic.

Chooms!

We’re thrilled to announce that we are partnering with Twitch to host Support a Streamer for the release of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty! Twitch viewers will be rewarded with a unique weapon skin - the Yasha sniper rifle - for gifting subscriptions to participating streamers.

Starting September 25 until October 21, support your favorite, eligible streamers and you can receive the Yasha sniper rifle skin that will unlock in-game in Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty!

We will announce more details about Support a Streamer for our whole community soon, but today, we want to address all of you awesome creators on Twitch!

If you’re interested in participating in Support A Streamer with your channel, please fill out this form until 10 September 2023 at 23:59 PST (08:59 CEST) - we’ll go through all applications and pick as many of you as possible! The language of your content doesn’t matter - we’re open to creators from all over the world. The only requirement is that you’ve streamed any of CD PROJEKT RED’s games since December 2020.

Stay tuned for more info!
I hope I get picked I filled out multiple forums I gotta get a new cyberpunk jacket tho

just for good luck tho y’all check me out ……

See yah in night city Chooms

Attachments

• IMG_6054.jpeg
    IMG_6054.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Well... Kinda rude how I just start streaming and i just find out about this, 4 days too late to qualify... Pre-Ordered quite a while ago, because i believe in CD Projekt Red. Told everyone "No man, they're gonna nail it. They've crossed their eyes and dotted their T's, It's basically everything we always wanted. They're about to restore our faith humanity. You just watch!" I said. No sooner had I for truly said those words outloud (no word of a lie) to my ailing grandmother... that I find out, I'm not going to be able to promote the things and stuff for the this and the that.. and we're all doomed for failure. No faith in humanity restored. Instead, I'll have to just go ugly cry in a corner. All because I'm 4 days late to sign up, and the link won't work for chooms like me. Anyhue... Love you all. Too-Da-Loo

Personally, I'm excited for this. Also, it starts during Subtember, so if you do it early, you can get 25% off the sub.

I get some people don't like it because it's a "microtransaction". However, this isn't so much as they're selling this gun skin. It is a promotional incentive to go out and support a streamer, and get a weapon skin in exchange. It's no different than getting a promo code for a skin with your McDonald's meal purchase, only you'd pay more on a fast food meal. The incentive is also so trivial that it doesn't make or break your advantage in the game. It's just a vanity. If you think a vanity isn't worth paying something for, then what do you suggest as a non-game breaking incentive?

Chooms!

We’re thrilled to announce that we are partnering with Twitch to host Support a Streamer for the release of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty! Twitch viewers will be rewarded with a unique weapon skin - the Yasha sniper rifle - for gifting subscriptions to participating streamers.

Starting September 25 until October 21, support your favorite, eligible streamers and you can receive the Yasha sniper rifle skin that will unlock in-game in Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty!

We will announce more details about Support a Streamer for our whole community soon, but today, we want to address all of you awesome creators on Twitch!

If you’re interested in participating in Support A Streamer with your channel, please fill out this form until 10 September 2023 at 23:59 PST (08:59 CEST) - we’ll go through all applications and pick as many of you as possible! The language of your content doesn’t matter - we’re open to creators from all over the world. The only requirement is that you’ve streamed any of CD PROJEKT RED’s games since December 2020.

Stay tuned for more for giving me this opportunity

Truthfully when I originally got the Twitch notification that I could have the chance to be part of this I was excited, but I also signed up with low expectations. Just got home and saw that I have been selected and I just want to say Thank you so very much for giving me the opportunity to be part of something like this. You don't know how much this means to me. Also just in time as I a putting together my first PC build, I greatly appreciate it Twitch & CD Projekt Red you are awesome. :cry:

Top Bottom