Geralt carries two swords.. except..

+
Geralt carries two swords.. except..

The silver is used for monsters, and the steel blade is used for humans.

If I recall from reading a certain short story in the last wish, didn't Geralt blatantly state that neither really mattered which was used against what? That certain monsters were more susceptible to silver, however he would still use the blade on humans? And hadn't other men hunted monsters with regular steel swords?

I understand if it is in the game for purposes of gameplay, however I am curious..

Personally, have no idea. Haven't read the books. Though I plan too! They seem awesome.

It's probably just a gameplay mechanic. Or who knows. Maybe silver swords really are the only way to deal serious damage to supernatural beings from other dimensions. Perhaps the lore just doesn't specifically say it and let's the reader/gamer infer the connection between silver and monsters instead. I don't know. I do love the way the system works now and hope it continues in other Witcher games. It's great for immersion :)

In the "Last Wish" Geralt literally says, while talking Iola in the Melitele temple, that silver sword is for monsters and witcher's iron one (made of meteor iron) for self-defense and monsters that are can be harmed by it. Many creatures which are result of magic or spheres conjunction are susceptible only to silver (like werewolves, vampires, ghouls), while iron does little or no harm to them. Geralt used and carried iron sword nearly all the time, and silver one was unleashed only to fight monsters.

Other men hunted monsters, but they were rarely successful, hence witchers were created.

I think he says they're both for monsters in TW1. (Something like "you're wrong, they're both for monsters"....)

It's a common misconception that the steel sword is for humans; Geralt says -- in both the books and in TW1 -- that both swords are for monsters.

And how important the silver sword is can be seen by the fact that Geralt nearly dies in the short story in The Last Wish in which he fights the striga (the same striga fight that's reproduced so faithfully in the intro movie of TW1). The minute he wakes up after having been unconscious for awhile, he asks about his silver sword and is reassured that it's safe and nearby. He doesn't ask about his injuries or about Adda or about Foltest or about his payment for breaking the curse until AFTER he has asked about his silver sword.

In certains moments, in the books, Spawoski explain that Geralt prefers do not use the silver sword against humans because he try to ensure non nicking the blade of the sword and preserve its sharp edge, because silver is more malleable than steel, and with humans any steel or iron is good to kill them. His silver sword is a little-great treasure for only one purpose.

Thothistox said:
I think he says they're both for monsters in TW1. (Something like "you're wrong, they're both for monsters"....)

I believe he was metaphorically talking about "human monsters" with that.

Wichat said:
In certains moments, in the books, Spawoski explain that Geralt prefers do not use the silver sword against humans because he try to ensure non nicking the blade of the sword and preserve its sharp edge, because silver is more malleable than steel
As far as facing humans goes, I believe you got it right. Silver will always lose when going up against steel/iron. Why risk damaging the silver blade if an iron one can do the job just fine?

Not sure about silver vs monsters though, haven't read the books.

Both are for monsters. While its perfectly logical to use silver against vampires, werewolves or ghosts, there is little reason to use it against wyverns or endregas. They are simple beasts and there is nothing magical about them AFAIK therefore steel would be much more effective. Its a rather unfortunate design decision tbh, I guess they just wanted to keep things simple.

In books, when Geralt fights against the Striga e.g., Spawoski draws an image of pain and suffering every time silver blade contacts with monster's blood. In games, Geralt seems less carefully about his silver sword and its use. So I think this is a devs decission to simplify the game.

Both swords are for monsters. A Witcher isn't a hired murderer, a soldier or a professional duelist. He's trained to stay out of trouble as far as humans are concerned. But trouble has a way of finding Geralt. ;)

If you haven't read the books, then you should. It's really worth it. Two books were officialy published, the rest was translated by forum users.

Randomdrowner said:
Hopefully CDproject will make the steel sword effective against non-magical creatures in W3.

As much as quite few fans of the books would like to see that, it probably won't happen. Silver for monsters, iron for humanoids is a simple rule, and some people still get a bit confused; once in a while we have a thread in which someone has an issue with fighting certain opponent and it turns out that they were just using a wrong sword.

How about introducing that feature into a hardcore mode? Silver for "magical" beasts (like undead), and iron for regular living things? I would love that, it would really make preparation, knowledge of beasts, and planning more satisfying... Wait, when is the REDkit coming out?

In the first Witcher, steel sword was more effective against wolves (regular animals, not magical beasts), in comparison to the silver one. At least so it seemed to me. So I don't think CDPR are in theory against the idea.

Gilrond said:
In the first Witcher, steel sword was more effective against wolves (regular animals, not magical beasts), in comparison to the silver one. At least so it seemed to me.
That's true.

So I don't think CDPR are in theory against the idea.
I think they made the steel sword effective against creatures that are ordinary in OUR world, rather than making it effective against creatures that are ordinary in GERALT'S world. I don't know if they just didn't think about it hard enough or if they were taking the perspective of the naive player, rather than the perspective of all the lore hounds we have around here. ;)

Corylea said:
That's true.

I think they made the steel sword effective against creatures that are ordinary in OUR world, rather than making it effective against creatures that are ordinary in GERALT'S world. I don't know if they just didn't think about it hard enough or if they were taking the perspective of the naive player, rather than the perspective of all the lore hounds we have around here. ;)

Against a being of flesh and blood, especially unarmed, the difference of being hit by a silver plated steel sword and a regular steel sword should of course be negligible. The only reason not to use the silver sword is to keep it in optimal condition against wraiths, werewolves and other magical creatures that cant be cut but steel.

So they could actually have a "silver quality" meter/bar that goes down if you use the silver sword against "hard objects". If it gets too low, you need to re-plate it at a good smithy.

Thothistox said:
I remember that, too. Though it’s correct that what they are meant for and what he ends up using them for are two different things.

He did say "They are both for monsters" in TW1. Its so much interesting the most dangerous monsters are in fact humans.

Top Bottom