Gold Units can now be Targeted by Spells and Effects

+
This is a bit scary, not because Golds can be targeted but because they ALL need to be reworked. This will probably create issues and we'll be stuck in another broken meta for a month or two.

If they do a good job of balancing everything, it might even be fun. But this being a big change, chances are slim of a good balance right from the start.

I personally don't like this change and i think it shouldn't happen because it will ruin the game.If you want to make gold cards vulnerable just create more cards like shackles and dimeritium bomb

Last edited:
bilbo.baggins;n9357291 I also wonder if Igni or Scorch in general is getting nerfed. [/QUOTE said:
Yep, Igni nerf incoming.

Also, i suspect a possible Eithne nerf: resurrect a special Spell card from the graveyard.

bilbo.baggins;n9380581 said:
Also, i suspect a possible Eithne nerf: resurrect a special Spell card from the graveyard.
You mean, make her useless?

I'd rather have Golds being vulnerable to other Golds. In other words, to reverse it to CB situation.

HenryGrosmont;n9382761 said:
You mean, make her useless?

I don't know if that would make her useless, because i don't know which special cards will be "spells" after the patch. It would make her weaker, for sure, and since a lot of people complain about her being too powerful, i'm afraid she might undergo some change.

It's a bad precedent to set, going back on something that they've stated so strongly for so long they want to be the case (gold cards are big, hard to kill cards that help close the game). I can't help but feel they would have been better off changing the values of certain cards to be silver instead, or even introduce gold cards that become silver when played.

Having said that I like that gold cards can be killed, but I'd rather it wasn't totally open - I think the compromise should be that golds can be hurt/targeted only by other units (gold silver or bronze). I don't think it's fair that a gold card can just be Alzur's Thundered, weathered down, or even Scorched. But most units wouldn't one shot kill (with the possible exception of the new Assassin card), or your spending a big enough resource that it seems a bit worth (another gold card, Nithral, etc). The only exceptions would be gold cards like Assassination, or the Dimeritium cards obviously. I would have it include special cards spawned from units, so you can't kill Yen: Con with a Alzurs pulled from Deathmold, for example.

Of course the change might be absolutely fine anyway. I'd just rather not see a removal meta myself.

bilbo.baggins;n9383201 said:
I don't know if that would make her useless, because i don't know which special cards will be "spells" after the patch. It would make her weaker, for sure, and since a lot of people complain about her being too powerful, i'm afraid she might undergo some change.
People always complain about something. Doesn't make it true every time though...
SkippyHole;n9383411 said:
It's a bad precedent to set, going back on something that they've stated so strongly for so long they want to be the case (gold cards are big, hard to kill cards that help close the game). I can't help but feel they would have been better off changing the values of certain cards to be silver instead, or even introduce gold cards that become silver when played.

Having said that I like that gold cards can be killed, but I'd rather it wasn't totally open - I think the compromise should be that golds can be hurt/targeted only by other units (gold silver or bronze). I don't think it's fair that a gold card can just be Alzur's Thundered, weathered down, or even Scorched. But most units wouldn't one shot kill (with the possible exception of the new Assassin card), or your spending a big enough resource that it seems a bit worth (another gold card, Nithral, etc). The only exceptions would be gold cards like Assassination, or the Dimeritium cards obviously. I would have it include special cards spawned from units, so you can't kill Yen: Con with a Alzurs pulled from Deathmold, for example.

Of course the change might be absolutely fine anyway. I'd just rather not see a removal meta myself.
It's not going back. They're actually making golds susceptible to any damage not just gold damage.

bilbo.baggins;n9383201 said:

Yes, ST really needs to be nerfed bad. Decent leader options isn't consistent with bad bronze/silver/gold options. Must fix now.

Oh wow, this thread is full of scrap-beggars again o\
Every single patch f2players demand refund for their free cards. No matter that casual players who became 19+ rank(it was easy) already received free ~20 barrels and ton of scraps (2 times - when they gain rank and when season ends) they feel offended by evil devs. Just compare this insane rewards to other CCG.
Stop be greedy arrogant boarders, game must evolve, no matter how. Any change is good (c) Icefrog.

Maybe try being a bit more insulting and condescending next time. You're not quite there yet. Internet warriors...

Anyway, I doubt we're getting refunds for every gold. I believe the existing system, where only nerfed (I know some consider Golds being targetable a nerf) cards get full refunds, is generous enough. Especially since you can craft premium versions of nerfed cards and then mill them for 1600 scrap, esentially exchanging useless meteorite dust for scrap.

Snake_Foxhounder;n9387201 said:
Especially since you can craft premium versions of nerfed cards and then mill them for 1600 scrap, esentially exchanging useless meteorite dust for scrap.

It's no longer possible. Now you get scrap + meteorite when milling premiums (thus it's now possible to convert scrap into meteorite).

On the topic of gold cards, I think the change is good. However, CDPR needs to give golds with over time effects more str and/or armor, and golds with immediate effects should have less str. It would also be nice to give high str cards (like Tibor, Elder, Hjalmar, Letho) some kind of protection against scorch and Gigni, otherwise they'd be either useless (especially Tibor) or OP (Letho).

I am also not sure what they plan to do with Kambi.

Last edited:
Esmer;n9387301 said:
It's no longer possible. Now you get scrap + meteorite when milling premiums (thus it's now possible to convert scrap into meteorite).

On the topic of gold cards, I think the change is good. However, CDPR needs to give golds with over time effects more str and/or armor, and golds with immediate effects should have less str. It would also be nice to give high str cards (like Tibor, Elder, Hjalmar, Letho) some kind of protection against scorch and Gigni, otherwise they'd be either useless (especially Tibor) or OP (Letho).

You serious? That's a pretty big hit for F2P players. This was one the only way of catching up to people who pay, as you can get 2 golds out of that. 1600 scrap isn't easy to come by.

Might as well create premiums then.

Esmer;n9387301 said:
Kambi will probably morph into a timer/deathwish situation. So rather than the timer needing to go off, it'll be a deathwish that triggers the effect along with a timer. So either way (barring a lock), you'll get the effect. Which is pretty much just like live, except you can trigger it early by damage. Only way I can see this card working.

As for Letho, I don't see him as much of an issue. He destroys a row, which is pretty much what GIgni does anyways. The trade-off is that he doesn't plop down a 4 body along with it. Let's be honest - SK players are just super worried about the banish effect. Yeah, it'll mess some things up and he will be quite strong, but other factions will have their strengths too. Schirru will be massive, along with Ithlinne. Hell, even Aglais will see a nice bump due to more emphasis on spells.

I think Monsters and NR are about the only factions that seem lower on the totem pole right now. But we haven't seen all the cards and changes yet.

arubino99;n9387461 said:
As for Letho, I don't see him as much of an issue. He destroys a row, which is pretty much what GIgni does anyways.

Igni destroys one card if you stagger your units correctly. Letho as two card combination with scorch or artefact compression can basically destroy and banish(important) 4 units. That can be extremely good esspecially against Skellige.

Last edited:
BornBoring;n9387641 said:
Igni destroys one card if you stagger your units correctly. Letho as two card combination with scorch or artefact compression can basically destroy and banish(important) 4 units. That can be extremely good esspecially against Skellige.

Exactly. Before you had to combo Letho with exactly D-Bomb (or D-shackles + scorch/Gigni) to banish enemy units and then reset Letho. Now, unless CDPR changes something, you can combo Letho with any of these cards: Gigni, Scorch, Artifact Compression, Peter, Mardroeme. The change is obvious: strengthen Letho instead of buffing him. Still, that makes the combo easier since you no longer need to have Letho and D-bomb, but you can have Letho + Gigni or Letho + Scorch, or Letho + Artifact Compression.

Last edited:
Restlessdingo32;n9385931 said:
Yes, ST really needs to be nerfed bad. Decent leader options isn't consistent with bad bronze/silver/gold options. Must fix now.

Can't really tell if the sarcasm is general or directed at me. I think it's obvious that "i suspect or i'm afraid she might get nerfed" is different from "i think she needs to get nerfed".

- Tibor alone in a row is safe from Igni because Igni is getting nerfed. Also safe from Mardroeme because now he strengthens. Yes, he can be scorched.

- Kambi is getting a deathwish.

The gold change specifically and the direction of many of the changes in this game as a whole are very bad Imho. Golds being immune to everything(or everything other than themselves in CB) along with the 3 rowed battlefield were 2 of the 3(alongside creatures that don't actually attack) key defining characteristics of Gwent as a card game and what differentiated it from other card games like MTG, Hearthstone, etc. Anyone with any TCG experience can see that the recent changes are hitting Gwent's uniqueness(first adding agility everywhere and now golds) aiming to make Gwent similar to other TCGs, most notably Hearthstone which despite(or maybe thanks to) it's awful casualness(as per Blizzard's standard since the Activision takeover) has been cornering the TCG market these days, including oddly enough the competitive scene surpassing even the original and grand daddy of all TCGs: MTG.

As a former MTG as well as Hearthstone player, I really like Gwent for its originality and uniqueness. I'd really hate to see Gwent succumb to the standard TCG trends and become just another MTG clone so to speak(same as all other MMOs these days are called WoW clones). Another worrying trend, as others have already mentioned is the frequency of massive changes this game is constantly going through. I understand that this is still technically a beta and that the main purpose of a beta is to test things out. However there needs to be a clear strategy the devs are aiming towards. There need to be certain red lines that they should never cross in development in order to preserve certain elements. Not having any connections whatsoever with CDPR I can only speak for myself but if it were me the ultimate strategy(in the game's development, not game play) should be to make a unique TCG using its original roots from The Witcher series. The red lines I mentioned should be about preserving Gwent's unique defining characteristics that I mentioned above, as without them Gwent's identity as a unique TCG will be demolished. Lastly, continuously making massive changes is bad for development and doesn't actually provide with a lot of useful data as there's this scientific concept called isolating variables. When you change too many things at once you can't isolate any individual variable to evaluate it on whichever criteria you choose. Making small targeted(at specific suspect variables) changes is far superior than gigantic overhauls from a data collection perspective for the devs, not just for us as the players.

bilbo.baggins;n9389081 said:
Can't really tell if the sarcasm is general or directed at me. I think it's obvious that "i suspect or i'm afraid she might get nerfed" is different from "i think she needs to get nerfed".

- Tibor alone in a row is safe from Igni because Igni is getting nerfed. Also safe from Mardroeme because now he strengthens. Yes, he can be scorched.

- Kambi is getting a deathwish.

Nah it was a joke :). I wouldn't be surprised if you're right.

Top Bottom