Monsters in the Sea?

+
Monsters in the Sea?

Having the ability to travel by ship can open up all sorts of hazards one can experience at sea. I noticed in the previews there was talk about Sirens luring sailors to their deaths, and Geralt having to acquire a certain item in order to sail to an island safely. That sounded like a really neat concept, however if that is exclusive to a quest, I was curious of the possibility of there being sea monsters in an open world sense?

Things like sharks, ship-bound bandits, or other creatures that would make sense within the witcher universe.

How would the player handle these hazards? Its hard to imagine how they would be able to pull off ship combat against something that is actually in the sea. I could see bandits boarding your ship, and you taking the fight on the decks.

but what do you guys think? Should boats simply be as a means for travel? or do you think CDPR should utilize the chance for some interesting gameplay mechanics?

Agent_Blue

linkman214 said:
Having the ability to travel by ship can open up all sorts of hazards one can experience at sea. I noticed in the previews there was talk about Sirens luring sailors to their deaths, and Geralt having to acquire a certain item in order to sail to an island safely. That sounded like a really neat concept, however if that is exclusive to a quest, I was curious of the possibility of there being sea monsters in an open world sense?

Things like sharks, ship-bound bandits, or other creatures that would make sense within the witcher universe.

How would the player handle these hazards? Its hard to imagine how they would be able to pull off ship combat against something that is actually in the sea. I could see bandits boarding your ship, and you taking the fight on the decks.

but what do you guys think? Should boats simply be as a means for travel? or do you think CDPR should utilize the chance for some interesting gameplay mechanics?

Agree.

It shouldn't turn into an excursion.

However, I find it hard to picture Geralt steering the boat and doing anything else at the same tine. Sometimes an evasive manoeuvre is the only viable option.

Some underwater content would be nice.

I can't imagine Geralt being to happy on the water for some reason. The only experience with water is
in the short story with the sirens
as far as I remember. I can imagine it being a special quest, but if he would have to fight monsters constantly in the water, I would imagine him saying: "Fuck it. I'm too old for this shit." :)

Pirates maybe, but I don't know, do I really want pirates in a Witcher game? Bad enough to be constantly compared to Skyrim, don't get them to compare to Assassins Creed now as well.

A way to pull of fighting from a boat would be mounted crossbows/harpoons which
the player can mount like turrets and use to fire at whatever is attacking the ship.

But from a technical standpoint it's better to use ships just for transportation and not for combat itself.

emperorzorn said:
A way to pull of fighting from a boat would be mounted crossbows/harpoons which
the player can mount like turrets and use to fire at whatever is attacking the ship.

But from a technical standpoint it's better to use ships just for transportation and not for combat itself.

And Geralt isn't too keen on ranged combat anyway, so it would be weird to shoot around, I think.

Seems to me having sea battles is getting way off track from a design standpoint. But I'm wondering if whales or sea monsters can overturn our boat.

slimgrin said:
Seems to me having sea battles is getting way off track from a design standpoint. But I'm wondering if whales or sea monsters can overturn our boat.

Well if some sea monster is strong enough to overturn the boat, I'd say Geralt is pretty much screwed if that happens, not to say that that it wouldn't be a cool sight to see, it would be cool to have some forbidden waters that you would be able to clear out in order to get to a certain place, like a narrow water passage between the mountains which would lead to the open sea and an island/underwater cave or something like that...

If there being multiple places like this would be a problem, it would be cool to at least have one cool quest like this...

Csszr said:
I imagine Geralt is kind of like a cat in a boat.

Not really... in one story of books while he is looking for Ciri, Geralt accepts a contract for chasing an aquatic monster which causes problems to the boatmaster and his business. And even he maintains a struggle in the middle of the deep waters

Wichat said:
Not really... in one story of books while he is looking for Ciri, Geralt accepts a contract for chasing an aquatic monster which causes problems to the boatmaster and his business. And even he maintains a struggle in the middle of the deep waters

But didn't he think that it was just a hoax and he needed the short term money?

Of course there will be monsters, but i can't really imagine that Geralt wants to meet/fight sea monsters, especially under water, he just isn't trained for that. Nobody uses swords under water, he would need something like a spear or even a harpoon and even then he would be clearly inferior. You just can't move under water like you do on earth and a witcher needs his flexibility and quickness.

Pirates? Maybe, but the Skellige fleet is the biggest in the Witcher world, i don't think they would allow much piracy near their territory, maybe in the far off areas.

Kallelinski said:
But didn't he think that it was just a hoax and he needed the short term money?

Yes, to get some money and to call atention of those who wanted Ciri.

Wichat said:

Oh yes, Blood of Elves. Well let me rephrase, I imagine him like a cat in that tiny boat on those rough seas. :p

I suspect that seas will mostly be a means of travel and not much more. The Blood of Elves had the Aeschna and TW2 had it's cousin the Kayran, but if there is any sea combat, I would guess that it will largely be us fighting in the style standard to TW3, just on the deck of a ship. To an extent this is fine simply because this game sounds so ambitious that I worry about them trying to make good on the sheer amount of content.

Well I really want monsters in the sea but I don't know if that will be possible to do it right... still, it would be very impressive to me ;]

Sea? Kayran, mermaids, sirens, as already mentioned; naiads... Fishpeople/waterpeople... And pirates... Why not? Flotsam, Roche's ship and some other certain things and themes, hinted/reminded them. Pirates. Just don't turn geralt into jack sparrow troll or something... :p

Something along the lines of what Greed said was what I was thinking too.

Separate question, which will probably sound dumb: are there Witchers who do specialize in sea monsters? In the siren story, it didn't sound like it. If so, is there a different regimen of potions that they go on for mutations that help with the sea? *readying to hide in shame*

Agent_Blue

Calrabjohns said:
Something along the lines of what Greed said was what I was thinking too.

Separate question, which will probably sound dumb: are there Witchers who do specialize in sea monsters? In the siren story, it didn't sound like it. If so, is there a different regimen of potions that they go on for mutations that help with the sea? *readying to hide in shame*

Not at all!

I hadn't thought about that but it seems a wonderful idea!
Hope Devs pick on this, if they haven't already.

Top Bottom