Photo Mode not working? Here's a fix!

+
So apparently, some people on PC are having difficulties figuring out how to hop into the photo mode added with the next-gen update. The truth is: you can't, because your game (for whatever reason) doesn't recognize a critical set of input configurations, omitting it from your profile entirely. I'm not sure why this happens (especially since not everyone seems to be affected) but here's how to fix it:

1. Navigate to your config file location: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\The Witcher 3\
  2. Open the file input.settings with a text editor of your choice.
  3. Copy the following block of text (see below) and paste it at the very end of that file.
  4. OPTIONAL: feel free to change the key bindings under [PhotoModeTrigger] to any key of your preference (e.g. changing IK_U to IK_F3 will bind it to F3)

[PhotoModeTrigger]
IK_U=(Action=EnablePhotoMode)
IK_Pad_LeftThumb=(Action=EnablePhotoMode_Step1)
IK_Pad_RightThumb=(Action=EnablePhotoMode_Step2)

[Boat]
DERIVED_FROM=PhotoModeTrigger
[BoatPassenger]
[Combat]
[Combat_Replacer_Ciri]
[Diving]
[Exploration]
[Exploration_Replacer_Ciri]
[Horse]
[Horse_Replacer_Ciri]
[JumpClimb]
[Swimming]
[ThrowHold]

[Photomode]
DERIVED_FROM=BASE_CameraMovement
IK_W=(Action=PMC_MoveForward)
IK_S=(Action=PMC_MoveBackward)
IK_A=(Action=PMC_MoveLeft)
IK_D=(Action=PMC_MoveRight)
IK_LeftMouse=(Action=PMC_MouseMovement)
IK_RightMouse=(Action=PMC_MouseRotation)
IK_MouseZ=(Action=PMC_MoveForward)
IK_Pad_LeftTrigger=(Action=PMC_MoveUp)
IK_Pad_RightTrigger=(Action=PMC_MoveDown)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisX=(Action=PMC_MoveRight)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisY=(Action=PMC_MoveForward)
IK_Pad_RightAxisX=(Action=PMC_RotX)
IK_Pad_RightAxisY=(Action=PMC_RotY)
IK_Escape=(Action=DisablePhotoMode)
IK_Pad_B_CIRCLE=(Action=DisablePhotoMode)
IK_PrintScrn=(Action=ScreenshotRequested)

Save the file, start your game and enjoy photo mode! :)

I found a visual bug in photo mode. When I'm riding a boat and I enter photo mode, Geralt's hair is flying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_57.png
    Screenshot_57.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 1,585
I found a visual bug in photo mode. When I'm riding a boat and I enter photo mode, Geralt's hair is flying.

Not related to the fix I mentioned above. The only thing it does is re-add the key bindings that were missing from the config files for some reason. However this type of glitch isn't entirely new to me - I've seen it very frequently in the pre-update (i.e. 1.32) version of the game, when using the FreeCam mode added via a mod plugin. I assume it's somehow related to an issue occurring whenever the camera is detached from any type of character.

Here's a thought: since it seems to be related to hair, have you tried turning NVidia HairWorks on or off?

So apparently, some people on PC are having difficulties figuring out how to hop into the photo mode added with the next-gen update. The truth is: you can't, because your game (for whatever reason) doesn't recognize a critical set of input configurations, omitting it from your profile entirely. I'm not sure why this happens (especially since not everyone seems to be affected) but here's how to fix it:

1. Navigate to your config file location: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\The Witcher 3\
  3. Copy the following block of text (see below) and paste it at the very end of that file.
  4. OPTIONAL: feel free to change the key bindings under [PhotoModeTrigger] to any key of your preference (e.g. changing IK_U to IK_F3 will bind it to F3)

Thank you so much. I quite literally love you. Saved my life

thanks , i can n'joy photo mode
i'm a bit crazy with this feature in-game , with this i want more to explore the world of a game

Yes that did the trick :) AWESOME thank you so much!
Just binding the button in the ingame-menu did nothing.

Yeah, that's because those settings aren't recognized by the game as I said. Even if you set the binding via ingame menu, it'll reset to "none" after restarting, and the actual functionality isn't there either. I recommend making the input.settings file write-protected after the change, too... just in case the game decides to override it with non-functional values again later on (until CDPR fixes it).

Doesn't work for me whyyy? I'm so sad :(
U, F3, or even left and right thumb controller, nothing work...

Doesn't work for me whyyy? I'm so sad :(
U, F3, or even left and right thumb controller, nothing work...

on all cutscene , all tutorials , and hints display command on screen , we can't use photo mode

That's right. If you look at the block of text, it shows you exactly which situations / ingame states allow photo mode. I included all which made sense and wouldn't cause any errors (like exploration, combat, sitting on a boat etc) but in other situations it might not be possible at all. This is by design though... meaning that chances are, the game (originally) wouldn't have let you go into photo mode during those situations to begin with.

Otherwise, if you were just trying to get it working while running around with Geralt... please let me know what you've done exactly (or what the issue is, if you're encountering any kind of bug), so I could try to help you. Needless to say, if you're not playing on PC and/or are NOT running the next-gen update (i.e. still clinging to the old-gen version) you will NOT get photo mode as a feature.

/edit: to clarify - the above wording sounds a bit wrong, my apologies. Of course you'll get photo mode on console as well... but the proposed fix will obviously not work for you, because you can't edit text files on your Xbox or PlayStation.

Last edited:
Omg I'm so dumb sorry... I just missed to click on "click to expand" to see all the text to copy... and I just pick the 3 first lines :rolleyes:
I copied all the text now and it work perfectly now, thank you very much!!!

Last edited:

Thank you so much.

Please where we can find : Navigate to your config file location: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\The Witcher 3\
Post automatically merged:

I can't find where i need to copy the following block of text :(

And after a month we are still waiting for CDPR fixing that issue...

Top Bottom