Stuck on Wolf Logo

+
I have the witcher 2 on steam, and whenever trying to launch the game, the launcher opens, and after clicking "Launch game", the wolf logo comes up, the game doesn't launch, and after about 10 minutes the launcher opens up again.
I just bought this game about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't worked since, I've been trying to open it almost every day and I've tried almost everything I could think of (Reinstalling and opening with anti-virus off, opening from gog launcher, changing redist to rredist.OLD, heck I even uninstalled and reinstalled my whole virtual c++ software 2009-2019).
I opened a support ticket a week ago, and they still haven't answered (I even sent another one 3 days ago, because maybe I wrote the email wrong but still nothing).
help please : (
dxdiag file attached.

thanks,
doxi

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    116.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Do you get an error message too after trying to launch the game?

Here's the official information from the support website in case the game won't launch:

Especially pay attention to Nr. 3. It could be that a background application is blocking the game, even if it's not the antivirus software. Definitely disable the GOG/steam overlay feature and close every non-essential app.

You can also try this:

Running Steam as administrator is also a thing I'd recommend trying.

Besides, keep in mind that during Christmas and New year, support responses can take a bit longer.

Do you get an error message too after trying to launch the game?

Here's the official information from the support website in case the game won't launch:

Especially pay attention to Nr. 3. It could be that a background application is blocking the game, even if it's not the antivirus software. Definitely disable the GOG/steam overlay feature and close every non-essential app.

You can also try this:

Running Steam as administrator is also a thing I'd recommend trying.

Besides, keep in mind that during Christmas and New year, support responses can take a bit longer.
no error message, it just opens the launcher and then when I click "Launch game" the wolf logo comes up and closes after 10 minutes opening the launcher again. The same thing happens in safe mode (which is essentially no3. as the only thing that was open was my sound driver)
And I have tried uninstalling virtual studio and updating GPU drivers, and I've verified file integrity multiple times (I even tried reinstalling).
And steam is in admin mode

Reinstalling Microsoft's .NET Framework 4 might be worth a try.
I've been bashing my head on this and it seems like there is no way to uninstall the .NET Framework on Windows 10...? Maybe I'm wrong but I've been looking for a way to do it since you sent that message and I just can't find one that works, and from what I understand it's not possible, as .NET Framework is integrated into windows now.

Right, but you could try out this official repair tool: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/net-framework-repair-tool/
I get an error message when using the repair tool:
1578029977531.png

Maybe that tool isn't for windows 10?

Last edited:
There seem to be quite a few logs in that report, though. Might be worth keeping an eye on it. But for now, maybe leave it for now and send a ticket to CDPR support first. Maybe they have better suggestions for your issues with the game.

The contact link can be found in both support links I mentioned above. Just click on „contact us“ here: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-2/pc/sp-technical/issue/1007/the-game-is-not-launching-3
Thanks for trying to help : )

The support ticket still hasn't emailed me back, so I'm still open for suggestions if anyone has any.

Did you look in windows event viewer logs for a specific error code ? If so what was the code? Sometimes that can point you in a direction. Safe mode is different than clean boot mode. Safe mode only gives you a limited set of drivers and services or at least from my experience not enough to run any kind of graphic intensive game. That may have changed with Windows 10, I don`t know since I stuck with 8.1 . Do you have XFire installed? I know that`s one program that can cause the wolf head logo loop.

Did you look in windows event viewer logs for a specific error code? If so what was the code? Sometimes that can point you in a direction. Safe mode is different than a clean boot mode. Safe mode only gives you a limited set of drivers and services or at least from my experience not enough to run any kind of graphic intensive game. That may have changed with Windows 10, I don`t know since I stuck with 8.1. Do you have XFire installed? I know that`s one program that can cause the wolf head logo loop.
How do I check the "windows event viewer logs" and what should I look for?
I just tried a clean boot, and the problem persists. and I don't have XFire installed.

Try right clicking the start button and select event viewer (Windows 8.1 but 10 should be very similar) then on the left screen pane expand windows logs then select application. Your looking for an error most likely listed as apps. I`ll include a snipit pic to show an example. When you find the witcher 2 then look for a code similar to the following 0x000142 or 0x00007b

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    62.3 KB · Views: 320
Try right clicking the start button and select event viewer (Windows 8.1 but 10 should be very similar) then on the left screen pane expand windows logs then select application. Your looking for an error most likely listed as apps. I`ll include a snipit pic to show an example. When you find the witcher 2 then look for a code similar to the following 0x000142 or 0x00007b
What do you mean by "When you find the witcher 2"? because I can't fine "the witcher 2" as a source, this is the only source i have that starts with T:
1578488427665.png

Is it not supposed to be a source? because nothing here has names, and "source" seems like the only thing that could identify it.

I don`t have a pic to help show you but on the far left it would be listed as error. But before getting into that I do have a quick question though . Are you running Steam as administrator? If not then completely exit Steam then right click Steam shortcut and select Run this program as an administrator. Then start Steam and retry Witcher 2. Are you running your computer under an administrator account?

Last edited:
I don`t have a pic to help show you but on the far left it would be listed as error. But before getting into that I do have a quick question though . Are you running Steam as administrator? If not then completely exit Steam then right click Steam shortcut and select Run this program as an administrator. Then start Steam and retry Witcher 2. Are you running your computer under an administrator account?
Yes steam is running as administrator and the computer is running on an admin account.
I meant that when I go to the event viewer -> winodws logs -> applications, there is no source name "The Witcher 2" (or anything with "Witcher").

did you ever figure this issue out? cuse im having the same issue and its just stuck on the wolf logo. I have to use task manager to stop it.

did you ever figure this issue out? cuse im having the same issue and its just stuck on the wolf logo. I have to use task manager to stop it.

This is most likely going to be caused by one of 3 things:

1.) The game is installed in a protected directory like Program Files(x86). Always be sure games are installed on the root of a directory or a folder of your own creation on the root. So, for example:
C:\The Witcher\...
or
C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher\...

Along with this is being sure to set the program's .exe file to "Run as administrator..."

2.) Be sure you have the older versions of Microsoft Redistributables that are required by that game. Super important when trying to get legacy titles working properly on operating system versions that didn't even exist when the game was being developed. Things like:
DirectX 11/12
DirectX 9.0c
Visual Studio
Visual C++
.NET Framework

3.) Driver versions for graphics and audio need to be compatible with the older title. It's not uncommon to need to roll back your drivers to previous versions. Again, as time passes, drivers will no longer support the methods used by older programs.

4.) Anti-virus / Firewall software is interfering with the game. Especially aggressive programs like Norton, McAffee, or Comodo are notorious for conflicting with games on certain systems. You may need to add the game's installation directory to their exceptions list, completely disable them, or you can try more game-friendly security programs like Avast!.

i tried what you said and it didnt work. i went to another post on steam and it apparently was my cpu lol. too many cores so i had to use ryzen master to use legacy mode so i can start up the game correctly.

Top Bottom