Would he make sense in the lore? I created a fictional character for the music contest

+
As we all probably know, CD Projekt Red challenged musicians to contribute music to their new DLC.

Since I love writing lyrics
and playing with words, I made a song that had vocals and lyrics that hopefully made sense in the world of Cyberpunk 2077.
Now I want to know what all the Lore-Lovers of Cyberpunk 2077 think of the lyrics, and where I could have done better/where I don't make any sense.

I created a fictional character, one that isnt originally from Haiti but grew up in the pacifica district. I've always been a fan of people like Lupe Fiasco that experienced hardship in rundown areas, but instead of blindly participating, forming some critical thought through art instead.
Naturally, growing up in a disasterous area like Pacifica, dealing with conflict and issues through violence would be a natural trait/ability that developes over there. Yet not being part of Haiti/Voodooboy heritage, there's a sense of "me vs the world", or at least the freedom to promote your own ideas rather than representing a culture or a gang affiliation.

With that character in mind, I wrote those lyrics:

verse 1
Nighcity, befitting of dogtown
Life's a bitch here,
but as a stray you show teeth
or go down
biz based on survival's the best you can build here
or bonds of blood as bullets get guts spilled
everyone's disposable
no time for closure when scavs go through the corpse of your loved ones,
thats lesson one son, don't get close to anyone, they wont be here for long
The NCPD
Is Answrin ziggy
too busy on tv,
to care for this district
corporate greed is
roaming round freely
their technology feels
like a disease
you expect me to get my perspective on track
best way to pay bills is run the net or the edge
yes, please doc rip away my conscience
i kill all those ghosts, but i still feel haunted

Chorus:
but at night i sleep
like a little kid
thanks to life beating me
into a coma
like on lsd
everything seems unreal
disconnect how I feel
just like a robot
Dear Doctor Please
Rip away the deeds
I commit on the street
And put more chrome on me
I dont want to deal
with the people I kill
its easier to live
if you feel nothing"

verse2
purpose is
an urban legend
that turns some wretched
to burn the fashists
a worthy deathbed
will birth a legend
not serve the better
we wont learn a lesson
shits depressing like watson whore
degenerate like junkies that fuck to gore
yet bloodlust is necessary where im from
morons try to start shit cause my accent's wrong
microphone only lasts a moment
gotta holster guns to make it back home
Doc please give me something stronger
I cannot pretend much longer

There are parts that are a bit more obvious than others.

In verse one, I lay a certain 'groundrule' of the district, a little play on word with dogtown, bitch (female dog), a stray and showing teeth, since you wont survive without having the ability to show your fangs.
Friendship doesnt exist; either you make business, or you kill people together.
If you ever find someone you enjoy, they might be gone in the next moment and become tools for scavangers.

The part with Ziggy was a reference to a loading sequence in game, where an NCPD officer was invited to Ziggys talkshow to talk about the safety of nightcity. Also its commonly known that the NCPD doesnt participate in upholding any sort of safety in pacifica, leading me to criticise their ressourcemanagement.

To "have perspective" and do "something proper" like trying to get a good job is useless, the best paying jobs are being a netrunner or edgerunner.

The chorus describes a weird mindset how to still find any joy in a world like this. I was asking myself how you'd manage to sleep in those conditions, and then remembered fainting once and how it was the most freeing, disconnecting sensation from reality. Therefore, you naturally sleep if someone beats you into a coma. Same with experiencing the world on substances, making the world more an insane theater you can disconnect from.
And ultimately, the more you replace your body with chrome, the less human you are, the more you can 'feel' like a robot.

Verse 2 describes the idea that you create purpose by believing in the "legend". Yet ultimately, the legend rarely influences anything, is an inspiration for the unfortunate to cause minor damage and repeat the cycle.
Watson Whore is a reality show in nightcity, and after the Snuff Braindance Quest, you can phantom what sort of kinks and desires are more common in Nightcity.
Still, who am I to judge, as bloodlust/extremities are needed to survive in this city, pointing at my accent (not being Haitian) possibly enough to find myself in conflict.
The microphone (creation of music/art) gives me a brief moment of freedom before it's back to the reality of keeping your gun ready for self-defense.
And ultimately, deminishing returns causes you to need something stronger the longer you cope.

Musically I wanted to create something that could be found in the Cyberpunk universe, and not something inspired by our modern age.
The genres we find in our world most of the time have cultural backgrounds, or a history how they came to be. So if I wanted to make "oldschool hiphop", Id look for music to sample, possibly funk, or soundtracks of old TV series.
So how would that happen in a world full of lifechanging technology and the different folks in Nightcity?
I was thinking of making the song dirty, but then thought in a world where you can phonecall directly into someones brain, soundquality will be high even in the poor places of Nightcity. The only thing I considered is to change the pitch slightly over time, glitches etc. but the sound itself is justified to sound polished.
Even though my character isnt Haitian, the tribal culture still influences me growing up there, which I wanted to represent in the music. It is a "sample" method, but with modern technology.
The lowpitched rapparts slightly lean towards encrypting your messages as a hacker.
I have to admit, the chorus sounds very 'poppy' and traditional, yet after watching Edgerunners and paying attention to the music on the Cyberpunk Radiostations, there is a certain degree of pop (regardless if its original Cyberpunk 2077 pop or not) that separates me from the rest of pacifica district and cultural/musical expectations.

Overall, I kept the chorus mainly as a nice contrast to the darker verses to also underline the two contradicting sentiments.

What do you guys think? Please criticise the sh*t out of the song. Regardless of me managing to get into the DLC or not, I'm still going to make more music and always hope to learn something new!

The3rdFace

Last edited:
Lyrically I found a cyberpunk slang dictionary online and leaned heavy into that.. so much so you might need the dictionary to make sense of it. Basically it's telling someone they're an idiot for spending all there time in Brain Dances when there's more important things to care about. It's based on the assumption that present day problems will extend into the future, IE - people spending all their time in internet garbage rabbit holes in real life.

Musically I tried to incorporate equal parts cyber, and punk, and assumed that the artist would be poor - so would generally use custom equipment and misuse things that aren't necessarily designed for making music.. which isn't a far stretch from how I already work. (there's an acoustic guitar that's made to sound crunchy and electric, some clanky percussion which sounds like hitting oil drums in an empty parking garage - but is actually a cookie tin, and I'm running Linux with all free and open source software.)
Also weave in and out of a bridge that pretends to be a live recording in night city.

[spoken, distorted]
scored a preem BD
a glossy zero-trip terror bonanza
from some paranoid bennie out on the edge
time to jack in and delta the f**k up

The deets are apparent, you're hexed, it's abhorrent

[with fake audience sounds, simulating a live show]
(hey night city, how the f**k are you doing? You ready to get high? Well jack into this.)

[spoken, distorted]
Hey choom is that you?
I think my circuits are frying
ram like chrome coated kibble
on the edge, the edge of a flat line

wake up your brain is on fire, the signals are rioting
corpse-o, the errors are fatal

'cause your mainline's short-circ'd and blind
leviathan gomi gibson

[fake audience sounds]
(let's hear some f**king noise!)

[spoken, distorted]
lost in a beaverville virtu
a vulture gonk seeking sleaze
an I O pass through, with dirty dirty me

Lyrically I found a cyberpunk slang dictionary online and leaned heavy into that.. so much so you might need the dictionary to make sense of it. Basically it's telling someone they're an idiot for spending all there time in Brain Dances when there's more important things to care about. It's based on the assumption that present day problems will extend into the future, IE - people spending all their time in internet garbage rabbit holes in real life.

Musically I tried to incorporate equal parts cyber, and punk, and assumed that the artist would be poor - so would generally use custom equipment and misuse things that aren't necessarily designed for making music.. which isn't a far stretch from how I already work. (there's an acoustic guitar that's made to sound crunchy and electric, some clanky percussion which sounds like hitting oil drums in an empty parking garage - but is actually a cookie tin, and I'm running Linux with all free and open source software.)
Also weave in and out of a bridge that pretends to be a live recording in night city.

[spoken, distorted]
scored a preem BD
a glossy zero-trip terror bonanza
from some paranoid bennie out on the edge
time to jack in and delta the f**k up

The deets are apparent, you're hexed, it's abhorrent

[with fake audience sounds, simulating a live show]
(hey night city, how the f**k are you doing? You ready to get high? Well jack into this.)

[spoken, distorted]
Hey choom is that you?
I think my circuits are frying
ram like chrome coated kibble
on the edge, the edge of a flat line

'cause your mainline's short-circ'd and blind
leviathan gomi gibson

[fake audience sounds]
(let's hear some f**king noise!)

[spoken, distorted]
lost in a beaverville virtu
a vulture gonk seeking sleaze
an I O pass through, with dirty dirty me

Love it, the vocab makes it perfect for cyberpunk. Cant wait to hear the song once we can release it
Post automatically merged:

Love it, the vocab makes it perfect for cyberpunk. Cant wait to hear the song once we can release it
Would also be fun to collaborate as 'characters' and make cyberpunk music collaborations

Nobody knows who the Faraday Fusion is, but sure thing the Night City streets may be safer, or darker, with the new superheroes around. The origin stories are all what matters. Rest will be history.

The music is inspired by these new superheroes in the city. The submission comes with a flash origin story.

Papa Sato's Spicy Noodles_

That one night was the day. The day when the neighborhood got much safer. Everybody sane avoids the nights if possible. It was the same for me. I had grabbed takeaway noodles from Papa Sato and was headed back to my lair. Back in front of those screens. That's where I use my days to do all the small gigs people ask of me. Like the guy who had his legs modded to work like a spider. He needed the control chip programmed for that. I do not know where people get these ideas. Well, I'd rather not judge. Got to earn my living somehow in this city_

I had just passed around the corner when the explosion happened at Sato's Spicy Noodles. Rumors say it was an accident and gas burners had exploded. Some say it was a gang hit. Papa Sato's slogan "all are welcome" may not be the smartest, but he's still a fine cook. The place was packed with people when the fire took over the entire place. Everybody now says it was a miracle. No one was hurt bad, and everybody was safe before the fire control got to the site. All I saw was that flash of neon lights. Something, or someone, stormed in and saved everybody. Even old Sato got out alive. Only his noodles were getting too hot. Too hot for my taste_

Since that day, gangs have treated the shopkeepers well on that street. Maybe out of fear? Whatever the reason is, at least streets are safer. People call the miracle a neighborhood hero. Call it a coincidence, but it reminds me of a gig someone asked a few months back. A job which I got sent a doll chip to mod into some nighttime superhero fantasy. Poor rich kid tried to bargain and rip me off, threatened to close me down otherwise. Nobody gets to rip me off, so I added extra code to the chip. To keep me and my noodles safe. I called the new mod, the Superdoll_

Nobody knows who the Faraday Fusion is, but sure thing the Night City streets may be safer, or darker, with the new superheroes around. The origin stories are all what matters. Rest will be history.

The music is inspired by these new superheroes in the city. The submission comes with a flash origin story.

Papa Sato's Spicy Noodles_

That one night was the day. The day when the neighborhood got much safer. Everybody sane avoids the nights if possible. It was the same for me. I had grabbed takeaway noodles from Papa Sato and was headed back to my lair. Back in front of those screens. That's where I use my days to do all the small gigs people ask of me. Like the guy who had his legs modded to work like a spider. He needed the control chip programmed for that. I do not know where people get these ideas. Well, I'd rather not judge. Got to earn my living somehow in this city_

I had just passed around the corner when the explosion happened at Sato's Spicy Noodles. Rumors say it was an accident and gas burners had exploded. Some say it was a gang hit. Papa Sato's slogan "all are welcome" may not be the smartest, but he's still a fine cook. The place was packed with people when the fire took over the entire place. Everybody now says it was a miracle. No one was hurt bad, and everybody was safe before the fire control got to the site. All I saw was that flash of neon lights. Something, or someone, stormed in and saved everybody. Even old Sato got out alive. Only his noodles were getting too hot. Too hot for my taste_

Since that day, gangs have treated the shopkeepers well on that street. Maybe out of fear? Whatever the reason is, at least streets are safer. People call the miracle a neighborhood hero. Call it a coincidence, but it reminds me of a gig someone asked a few months back. A job which I got sent a doll chip to mod into some nighttime superhero fantasy. Poor rich kid tried to bargain and rip me off, threatened to close me down otherwise. Nobody gets to rip me off, so I added extra code to the chip. To keep me and my noodles safe. I called the new mod, the Superdoll_
That sounds amazingly fun as a sidequest storyline too

I think you did a great job creating a character w/ being specifically referential. I get the story and it can be relatable to anyone in a similar situation. For anyone not in a similar situation, the character is understandable as representative of a person in that situation and evokes empathy as well.

I'm not very musical, I just can't read lyrics and put them to a tune. So I have a hard time coming up with any constructive criticism on this. I have a visual creative background so I super understand needing that critical feedback, and I feel bad for coming up with nothin, at least for now. But I do think you made the concept work.

I think you did a great job creating a character w/ being specifically referential. I get the story and it can be relatable to anyone in a similar situation. For anyone not in a similar situation, the character is understandable as representative of a person in that situation and evokes empathy as well.

I'm not very musical, I just can't read lyrics and put them to a tune. So I have a hard time coming up with any constructive criticism on this. I have a visual creative background so I super understand needing that critical feedback, and I feel bad for coming up with nothin, at least for now. But I do think you made the concept work.
Thanks a lot! I used to include a link to the music file but then realised CD Projekt red prefers the music to be not prereleased so i took the link away :) even for musical people, the description is quite useless without actual sound examples Id say ;)

What do you guys think? Please criticise the sh*t out of the song. Regardless of me managing to get into the DLC or not, I'm still going to make more music and always hope to learn something new!

The3rdFace

Don't take any of this as expert opinion, I'm not a musician. I'll try to be as constructive as I can - hopefully this is somewhat useful.

Pros:
- Instrumentally I think it fits for the most part.
- Conceptually, I like the idea of talking about what it's like living in NC.
- I like the contrast of rap and singing / toughness vs vulnerability.

Possible room for improvement?:
- Vocals: I'm not totally convinced by the character. Or is that the point? In the verses, is the character putting up a front trying to act tough? Or are they actually tough? If it's the latter, then maybe the vocalist needs to get into character more (so a general acting issue?) - or use a vocalist who can personally relate to the character already?
- Lyrics and the beat - So for the verses, I felt it was struggling to sit in the pocket of the beat at times. But I dunno, was that the point somehow? If not, then that's something I'd look into.
- Lyrics: for the most part, I don't think you needed to explain anything because it's pretty obvious on the surface what's being said. If that's your goal, then fair enough, but if not then I guess I'd want experiment more so there's more room for subtext and interpretation.

I'm no lyricist, but if I wanted to get really good at it, then I'd probably study the shit out of poetry, especially Shakespeare. I'd try to learn as much about his use of poetic devices and rhetoric. Because, to me, poetry/rap/etc., is way more compelling when those things are done really skillfully.

I dunno if you've seen this TED talk about Shakespeare and Hip-Hop, but it might be useful:

Anyway, I could be talking crap, in which case ignore everything I said - otherwise I hope it helps a bit. Was a good try!

Don't take any of this as expert opinion, I'm not a musician. I'll try to be as constructive as I can - hopefully this is somewhat useful.

Pros:
- Instrumentally I think it fits for the most part.
- Conceptually, I like the idea of talking about what it's like living in NC.
- I like the contrast of rap and singing / toughness vs vulnerability.

Possible room for improvement?:
- Vocals: I'm not totally convinced by the character. Or is that the point? In the verses, is the character putting up a front trying to act tough? Or are they actually tough? If it's the latter, then maybe the vocalist needs to get into character more (so a general acting issue?) - or use a vocalist who can personally relate to the character already?
- Lyrics and the beat - So for the verses, I felt it was struggling to sit in the pocket of the beat at times. But I dunno, was that the point somehow? If not, then that's something I'd look into.
- Lyrics: for the most part, I don't think you needed to explain anything because it's pretty obvious on the surface what's being said. If that's your goal, then fair enough, but if not then I guess I'd want experiment more so there's more room for subtext and interpretation.

I'm no lyricist, but if I wanted to get really good at it, then I'd probably study the shit out of poetry, especially Shakespeare. I'd try to learn as much about his use of poetic devices and rhetoric. Because, to me, poetry/rap/etc., is way more compelling when those things are done really skillfully.

I dunno if you've seen this TED talk about Shakespeare and Hip-Hop, but it might be useful:

Anyway, I could be talking crap, in which case ignore everything I said - otherwise I hope it helps a bit. Was a good try!
Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

The goal was for the verse to be a 'front' as in a trained social behaviour, while the chorus is the inner monologue of the humanity that suffers from it. I was doubting the chorus to be honest, especially with "Dogtown being the toughest turf".. I wasnt sure if a character with any sort of humanity would survive there. I'm going to write more music with cyberpunk in mind nd will probably go down the human-path, rather than the hardknock tough front path.

For the vocals, do you mean flow or mixing-wise ? If flow-wise, do you have an example of what youd consider really well executed? :)

Thanks for the link, ill check it out!

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

The goal was for the verse to be a 'front' as in a trained social behaviour, while the chorus is the inner monologue of the humanity that suffers from it. I was doubting the chorus to be honest, especially with "Dogtown being the toughest turf".. I wasnt sure if a character with any sort of humanity would survive there. I'm going to write more music with cyberpunk in mind nd will probably go down the human-path, rather than the hardknock tough front path.

For the vocals, do you mean flow or mixing-wise ? If flow-wise, do you have an example of what youd consider really well executed? :)

Thanks for the link, ill check it out!

I really like the idea of the chorus showing his vulnerability and yeah someone like that could absolutely survive there. I mean that's part of the tragedy, right? It's kinda like that movie Moonlight by Barry Jenkins.

So conceptually I think that's really good. I like the idea of the verse being his tough exterior. His trained behaviour is so trained, because it's survival, isn't it? It's not like putting on a front at school; this is putting on a front in Dogtown - he can't afford to have any cracks show up on his armor. Especially since he's not Haitian. So maybe that's a strong case for making the verse a bit tighter somehow.

Re: Vocals, I just meant in terms of believability. Like, is there real conviction there? Tightening up the lyrics can help, but at the end of the day conviction is what really sells it right?

Anyway, examples of what I think is well executed? Honestly, I rarely listen to rap music but I recently listened to this, and it is absolutely amazing:

Top Bottom