What are some essential mods?

+
What are some essential mods?

New to the Witcher modding community.Anything like the "Unofficial Oblivion Patch" out?Any good ingame tweaks that make the game, well, less of a hassle?Hard to be specific... I'm not looking for quest type mods, just tweaks to the gameplay that make the game more enjoyable.

Mods like the UOP? Nah, The Witcher's not as buggy. ;)The essential thing is to have the EE version or the original version patched to the EE up to the latest patches and fixes.Definitely have a look at the Insane Difficulty mod - even if you're not into the difficulty feature, because there are the most worthwhile mods included in this mod. But after a while of playing on low difficulty you might find it very enjoyable to up the difficulty, which you can't do in game without the mod. Of after a few playthroughs. ;DAnd then there's the Useful Things mod - three very little things with big effect.Aside from that there are a few "cosmetic" mods. But they don't change gameplay, naturally. They're just for fun. And for you to explore. :)

LicaonKter said:
what is not enjoyable now?
Nothing specific. There were mods that came out for Oblivion that made me go "Hey, I didn't notice that was missing, but now that it's there, that's awesome!"That "Stuff" pack was cool. I remember the last time I tried playing the Witcher, I found it a little frustrating needing to find a place to light a campfire to level, or spend orens to rest in an inn when I was hard on cash as it was.I also grabbed the self-installer version of that Insane Difficulty mod. Looks pretty promising as well!Hmm...Any controller type mods out there? I'm using xpadder with my PS3 controller, and it's working great, but maybe there's a controller mod that has context oriented input? Grasping I'm sure, but worth checking.Any general suggestions are cool.EDIT:I've also got a question about the "Insane Difficulty" mod. If I install the "harder" version, selecting the ingame difficulty has no bearing except for the combat tips right?

cipher86 said:
I remember the last time I tried playing the Witcher, I found it a little frustrating needing to find a place to light a campfire to level, or spend orens to rest in an inn when I was hard on cash as it was.
on every level you can find campfires, and use flint from your inventory to light it up, for free
cipher86 said:
Any controller type mods out there? I'm using xpadder with my PS3 controller, and it's working great, but maybe there's a controller mod that has context oriented input? Grasping I'm sure, but worth checking.
maybe you can share your profile with others here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10726.0
cipher86 said:
I've also got a question about the "Insane Difficulty" mod. If I install the "harder" version, selecting the ingame difficulty has no bearing except for the combat tips right?
correct

Posted in that controller topic..Also, any way to remove the visual effects that the potions cause (like the Cat's Eye... outside "blur" effect")?

Um... I kind of get the impression that you don't really want this game, but another. ???Don't go giving the developers the wrong ideas to exclude the coolest features from the next witcher game! :eek:I don't think you can get rid of the blur effect, but why does it bother you? I think it adds a lot to the immersion.But isn't that the only visual effect from any potion anyway? Except for the red spots when you had too much poison... :evil:I too came from Oblivion and am totally mod-crazy. My Oblivion looked and felt differently every week. And I've clocked hundreds or thousands of hours of gameplay. And then I discoverd the Witcher for me and a great calm took hold of me... and a manic modder got sucked into a game that was not perfect but somehow good as it was. Yes, I am grateful for the two aforementioned mods and I still have some little troubles with the game. But the experience makes up for it tenfold. It's magic. ;)Pardon my rant and I am not here to judge you, but this really isn't as much in "need" of modding that Oblivion. Or let's say, it's just a different kind of role playing.

DelightfulMcCoy said:
Um... I kind of get the impression that you don't really want this game, but another. ???Don't go giving the developers the wrong ideas to exclude the coolest features from the next witcher game! :eek:I don't think you can get rid of the blur effect, but why does it bother you? I think it adds a lot to the immersion.
Course I want this game! I wouldn't have bought it after playing the demo if I didn't want it.Modularity isn't a bad thing. I'd prefer to play without the effects, simply because I don't like them, the same way I'm not too fond of motion blur, having to bring out a torch in a dungeoun in order to be able to see anything, bullet time... I'm not saying the Witcher has all these features, there are just certain features in every game I do not find essential and could do without (except for the Hitman series. I refuse to see a single flaw in any game since the second). Although I'm into RPG games, I'm not as heavy into the immersion factor as some people are. I like a good story and good gameplay, but there are certain trimmings I can do without.This game does have a mod kit, and that's cool. I think more developers should take notice of the fact that allowing gamers to create content for gamers is a good thing. We will all be playing the same core game, but we can each have it tailored a little more to our tastes, and as such each of us will likely enjoy it much more.Will the potion screen effects ruin my game? No. However, if there is a way to get rid of it, I would enjoy the game a little bit more.I do see the folly of overly modding a game - you can take a game that was a masterpiece to begin with and, after loading way too many mods, absolutely ruin it. This is not what I have planned for my version the Witcher, and I hope you now understand where I am coming from.

cipher86 said:
...and I hope you now understand where I am coming from.
Hm, from a place far away from your pc and you would totally hate the new Prince of Persia with all it's colourful effects? :whistle:Kidding. I get it. Forgive my nosyness and thanks for explaining it. :peace:

DelightfulMcCoy said:
Definitely have a look at the Insane Difficulty mod - even if you're not into the difficulty feature, because there are the most worthwhile mods included in this mod. But after a while of playing on low difficulty you might find it very enjoyable to up the difficulty, which you can't do in game without the mod. Of after a few playthroughs. ;DAnd then there's the Useful Things mod - three very little things with big effect.
Hi, thanks for the info. I found the Insane Diff mod, but am unable to find the Useful Things mod (unless it's part of the Insane Diff mod). I searched this forum, Witcher mod sites and Google. Would you please point me in the right direction? :)

Excellent, tyvm! I really wanted the storage item desperately, and the other 2 are nice too. ;D

Top Bottom