The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
NicolasF said:
But why leave her out at all from the beginning? Yennefer doesn´t even get mentioned by name in TW1, for that matter Ciri fared little better.

I can't remember the source, unfortunately, but i think I read somewhere that CDPR were forbidden to use Yen and Ciri in TW1 by Sapkowski himself, because he had some plans for them or whatever. Could just be a rumor, though. Still, it should be remembered that back when TW1 was released, there were no plans for making it a trilogy, so maybe it was not such a big deal back then.

NicolasF said:
I just hope they don´t pull a Mass Effect 2 with Yennefer. And over there people complained about Liara getting pushed on the player. We got awake with Triss in her bed.

What? Afair, with ME2 the opposite was the matter. People complained about Liara reacting quite indifferently even if Shepard romanced her in ME1.

Shawnkh said:
I have some very important points to get across.
Why does everyone assume that because Witcher is a role playing game, they or Geralt can make all the decision and choose who they want to be with ? Maybe Yennefer does not want to be with Geralt anymore. Maybe Triss has changed her mind about Geralt and doesn't like to be with Geralt. Maybe there is going to be a third character introduced in Witcher 3 that Geralt falls in love with. It happens in life doesn't it ? You love someone but they don't love you back.
For those people complaining about Shani, well guys sometimes distance separates people. Geralt had to serve Foltest after the end of Witcher 1, since no one can deny a King's request without getting beheaded. Geralt had to leave Vizima because his king had ordered him to. It doesn't take away from the fact that Witcher is a role playing game. You sometimes can't change what happens even in real life.

And finally for those saying Yennefer is Geralt's true love from the books, and now that Geralt remembers the past there is no way he chooses Triss. Geralt REMEMBERS the past now, it doesn't mean he has regained his emotions. Emotions are not memories, they are feelings, memories are facts not feelings. You don't remember love. He may simply remember yes I have had sex with Yen, but he wouldn't relive the emotions he had for her. He simply remembers facts. So at the start of Witcher 3 Geralt is like the gamers that have not read the books, he'd feel more emotion towards Triss, but it can change though out Witcher 3. Geralt may fall in love with Yen again at the same time that players do. This is why Witcher 3 needs a whole lot of character development and Yen should get introduced early in the game.

Excellent post. So easy to get caught up in what we as players want, as opposed to intelligently written NPCs with their own motivations. And Yen...I just hope CDPR's writers are up to the task of introducing a volatile, sometimes bitchy past love, and making the player actually empathize with her.

Ggrimm said:
What? Afair, with ME2 the opposite was the matter. People complained about Liara reacting quite indifferently even if Shepard romanced her in ME1.

Tell that to the people who didn´t. Then LotSB made her a friend without player input. Then ME3 ending(s) happened and everyhting alse was moot.

So the Lodge knows where Yenn is -> Triss is part of the Lodge -> She wasn´t told.

Allow me to be skeptical. You aren´t recruited into the Bene Gesserit by being a naive idiot.

Yennefer or Triss

after reading and playing and watching the tv series of the Witcher...my suspicions are confirmed that Yennefer is sooooo not worthy of Geralts love. :fury: I know i'm gonna catch heat for saying this but...everything i ever learned about her sounded off. i don't trust her and when i see her in Nilfgaard in TW3, imma off her like the rest of the BlackOnes.
Opinions?
We all know the sorceresses have always been up to something buuut what will you do? choose triss or yen?

She's such a bully. Mods, whatcha gonna do?

Anyway, Yennefer and Geralt have one of -those- relationships. Unless you're in it, it looks prettttty crazy to outsiders. Hell, it's crazy when you are in them. But, what can you do? It's love.

Triss isn't a whole let less complex than Yennefer, either. Sorceresses have their own agenda. I've wondered, in my geekier moments, if Triss seems more accommodating simply because Yennefer exists. Less pressure when you're number 2, after all.

I'm hoping my main Geralt will be able to carry on his love affair with Triss he's sacrificed much for over the course of 2 games.
No doubt if i enjoy the game i'd do a 2nd playthrough with a Geralt who experiences re-uniting with Yen.

after reading and playing and watching the tv series of the Witcher...my suspicions are confirmed that Yennefer is sooooo not worthy of Geralts love. :fury: I know i'm gonna catch heat for saying this but...everything i ever learned about her sounded off. i don't trust her and when i see her in Nilfgaard in TW3, imma off her like the rest of the BlackOnes.
Opinions?
We all know the sorceresses have always been up to something buuut what will you do? choose triss or yen?

Forget Yennefer you've seen in the movie.
Look:
View attachment 2231
Don't tell me you don't find her HOT!
And, yes, this topic shows up again and again.
And some people fear that Yennefer lost her memory and work for His Majesty.

Attachments

• 250px-Yennefer_of_vengerberg_by_justanor-d586bq8.jpg
    250px-Yennefer_of_vengerberg_by_justanor-d586bq8.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 54
She's such a bully. Mods, whatcha gonna do?

Anyway, Yennefer and Geralt have one of -those- relationships. Unless you're in it, it looks prettttty crazy to outsiders. Hell, it's crazy when you are in them. But, what can you do? It's love.

Triss isn't a whole let less complex than Yennefer, either. Sorceresses have their own agenda. I've wondered, in my geekier moments, if Triss seems more accommodating simply because Yennefer exists. Less pressure when you're number 2, after all.
I love your answer cuz it's spot on...I've been close in a relationship like you mentioned and yes the thought has briefly suspiciously crossed my mind riiight before i had to answer a few questions in the Elven Bathhouse-- if Triss was being oooverly accomodating or if it was "just the sex talking" or if she was "buying" Geralt with the "low maintenance of being number 2." hard to tell sometimes with these ladies...

I'll assume that since we're talking about Yennefer here, we're in book-lore territory and spoilers are a go. Skip the rest of my post if you haven't read the books! (though I don't honestly see how you could argue for or against Yen vs. Triss without having read the books :listen: )

i don't trust her and when i see her in Nilfgaard in TW3, imma off her like the rest of the BlackOnes.

Regardless of how you feel about Yen as a person, you can't forget that Ciri loves her like a mother. You may decide that your Geralt has a falling-out with her (though I submit that wouldn't be book-Geralt's attitude), but even then he'd remain overly protective of her for Ciri's sake.

Also, I'm not sure how much choice we, as players, will actually get. Don't forget: The Witcher series is a bit unusual for an RPG insofar as you don't get to choose the main character, and you don't get to make a certain number of choices you would in other games. In TW1, for instance, you can help the Order of the Flaming Rose if you choose so, but you cannot, in any way, join the Order. When Siegfried suggests you join, you don't even get a dialogue option: Geralt says no. A stronger example yet is the romance choices from TW1 to TW2. You can choose Shani all you want in TW1, but Triss is the more important character story-wise and you wake up in her arms in TW2 no matter what you chose.

Geralt of Rivia is not a character you get to define: he already exists, and CDPR gets the final say in what he does. You can change the world around him (one of the most awesome things about the game, in my opinion), but you can't change him. And I get the feeling that, because Yennefer is an absolutely HUGE part of him in the books, and that his memory in TW3 should be near healed, you may not have any choice in this matter : CDPR might just go ahead and decide that Yen is the love of his life, the chosen mother of his adopted daughter, and that there is no scenario in which canon-Geralt would not go back to her.

Can't wait to see though :cheers:

I prefer Yennefer! She and Geralt have made mistakes but they're very close and have a bond that Triss will never have with Geralt. She's just a friend for him and a sister to Ciri while Yen is the perfect person for him and a mother to Ciri! At least I see it that way! XD

after reading and playing and watching the tv series of the Witcher...
I suggest to forget the tv series... :<

I prefer Yennefer! She and Geralt have made mistakes but they're very close and have a bond that Triss will never have with Geralt. She's just a friend for him and a sister to Ciri while Yen is the perfect person for him and a mother to Ciri! At least I see it that way! XD
You couldn't have said it better.

:victory:

Last edited:
I haven't read the books yet, and while I intend to, I am not sure how much players like me can really expect from Yen. My only point of reference is Triss, who has been a major character for two full games. So it is definitely a bit of a bias I have. Still, I am interested in meeting Yen in TW3.

Yes, I am aware and LOVE the fact he's a defined character. Hell I love everyone I've read so far...The Witcher Universe is a terrific set of stories. ...and i totally get their very adult very true to life(for some folk) relationship; Geralt and Yen. When i made this post before it was all merged and changed and what not....it was more so a poke and prod, tongue in cheek, playing around with the dysfunctionality of these two, kinda thing. That's all...cuz mosttimes i wanna punch Yen in the face and sometimes i wanna punch Triss in the face......Meh. that's all. in fact i'll be playing two save games like i've been doing and i'll enjoy them both for sure.

......tho kinda regretting i made the original post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom