Novigrad

+

Guest 3702081

I guess the quarters with poorer inhabitants won't look as tidy and neat as the parts of the city we've seen so far.

Though we probably won't witness the ultimate fate of Novigrad in the war during W3, I think in the long run Nilfgaard won't conquer and destroy it, since the city is economically strong and it wouldn't be very clever to subdue such a city by military force.

The war with Nilfgaard didn't come any further of the Pontar, so Novigrad doesn't have armies fighting at its gates or a crippled economy and starving citizens (supposedly, or at least not necessarily). One could imagine refugees fleeing from Temeria and their destroyed villages to the greatest city in the North, but there are many reasons why Novigrad wouldn't suddenly become all bleak and depressing, even if they started housing most of them.

I was talking about preparations to war. Normally there should be plenty of military, recruitment camps foreign armies marching south. There should be refugees, and famine. War also bring economical crisis and people are significantly poorer, many goes on streets.
Also city seems very open, anyone can easily enter there no fee for merchants or guards looking for nilfgardian spies.
Maybe this is only me but city lacks of tension, some fear.

I fucking love such authenticity in games. This is why i adore so much first witcher

@gregski
yeah, right but only if it is done right else it might easily destroy atmosphere.

I was talking about preparations to war. Normally there should be plenty of military, recruitment camps foreign armies marching south. There should be refugees, and famine. War also bring economical crisis and people are significantly poorer, many goes on streets.
Also city seems very open, anyone can easily enter there no fee for merchants or guards looking for nilfgardian spies.

Maybe there's a perfectly valid explanation for that? One that we simply don't know because we don't have the full story sitting in front of us.

Your concern is valid, one of the biggest mistakes games (And movies - See the Star Wars Prequels) is when a War is happening but parts of the Universe just seem completely oblivious to it when that makes absolutely no sense. However CDPR have a keen attention to detail, and it's one of those situations where if Novigrad was meant to feel "war-torn" in some way, they would make it so and that's why I'm not willing to judge Novigrad on that front just yet.

I like the look of the City, and as much as the dreary atmosphere of Vizima in TW1 was superb, I think Novigrad looks equally atmospheric - just in a different way. As long as there's a valid reason for it appearing like as if there's not a War happening to the South, then that's totally fine.

I think the "happy" and colourful look of Novigrad might create a good contrast with all its dirty business and dark secrets.

Also`we will have the dark,dirty, war torn lands of.... of er..... well, no mans lands......

So I welcome the fact we will see so many varied locations. I like bleak, but I also like colorful, vibrant if you will. I can not wait to see it on my computer screen

It depends; the war with Nilfgaard has only been going on for six months, so it's still early enough for the area around Novigrad to be unaffected by famines or an economical crisis; also, the occurrence of both would vary with the nature of the city's economical self-sustenance and its role in the war, of which we don't know much yet (correct me if I'm wrong, I might have missed something). In fact, I do get the feeling that Novigrad could be straddling the fence between Nilfgaard and the Northern Kingdoms, not actively participating in the conflict - although it would probably be almost forced to follow Redania - and secretly supporting one or the other side, or both. It could surely make for an interesting plot and I definitely look forward to see what intrigues the writers will fill the free city with, but I digress.

About the remaining points, soldiers wouldn't be constantly marching south just at the feet of Novigrad's walls, and in the game we'll probably see the various armies already stationed in No Man's Land. Recruitment camps could be located somewhere else, probably closer to the keep or the barracks, same as for the rest of the military. However, for a free city, unless you rely on mercenaries I doubt you'll be able to recruit much to form a sizable and stable army, especially since almost everything outside your city walls belongs to Redania, which has its own army to maintain and whose capital is not very far from Novigrad itself. It would all depend on the influx of refugees, but I can see the city refusing them entrance and telling them to go straight to another Redanian hold instead. Another simple explanation is that the game is still all just a work in progress, which it is, and especially was back in June.

Of course, this is all just my speculation borne of the very same love for authenticity in games we share, so I hope you won't take it as me trying to systematically dismiss your claims, which I figured is what it could look like. Your opinion is just as valid as mine, and in fact, I do agree on the point that the city looks too open; yes, there are guards on bridges and at the city gates, but the apparent indiscriminate lack of inspection seems a little odd.

Emhyr is a wise and sophisticated ruler and military strategist, and he tries to avoid head on military confrontations as much as possible. I believe he is planing to conquer the North as swiftly and as fast as possible by weakening them through other means such as assassinating the monarchs and dismantling the Lodge of sorceresses. He has spread chaos throughout the Northern kingdoms with his plots in order to avoid having to grind his way through strong and united kingdoms with devastating military campaigns. It is in his best interest to take over cities like Novigrad with as little damage as possible in order to avoid citizen uprisings and economic crashes. Novigrad is one of the largest port cities in the North, meaning that it brings much revenue from trade, and a war ravaged city would not generate much revenue. It is possible that Emhyr may have stroke a deal with Novigrad since they are a free city within Redania's border, or they may have surrendered after Redania's fall (If Redania has fallen).

"It often comforts me to think that even in wars darkest days, in most parts of the world, absolutely nothing is happening" - Brynden Blackfish, the line works well in this case :)

The dark and grey image of medieval society where everyone is dirty and wearing torn up grey/brown clothes is a myth, it´s a misconception we get from the extreme poverty of the 17th to 19th century, that it must have been even worse back in the 15th century... People didn´t have mud on their clothes and medieval clothing was generally very brightly coloured orange, blue, light green etc. Except ofcourse working clothes, they might be a bit more bland, but still not shaggy and torn up :p

In case of famine, war and pestilence... well, hunger or disease does not tear up your clothes, especially when they are made from wool :p

I know "The Witcher" is not supposed to be the actual 15th century, but it does actually portay it quite well in this regard :)

Of course, this is all just my speculation borne of the very same love for authenticity in games we share, so I hope you won't take it as me trying to systematically dismiss your claims, which I figured is what it could look like. Your opinion is just as valid as mine, and in fact, I do agree on the point that the city looks too open; yes, there are guards on bridges and at the city gates, but the apparent indiscriminate lack of inspection seems a little odd.

You have to consider that, even in case of a large city, most people leaving and entering would be known to the guards themselves. The real ‘test’ would be identifying and interrogating strangers, note suspicious behaviour, that kind of thing.

As for military activity, a free city like Novigrad would be expected to have a fairly large militia (organised by neighbourhoods or guilds?), backed up by some (quasi-)professional troops. In a time of danger, it would be natural to see them training a lot more than usual.
That’s assuming that Novigrad is comparable to high and late medieval and early modern cities in the Low Countries and Germany in this regard.

Oh and a thing they should fix is that for example in tw1 vizima richer part was unproporionally big to the poor one

During our gameplay presentation you only saw a small part of Novigrad, but there is a lot more to explore! The city has many different quarters and you will find a variety of locations and also atmosphere: from poor districts where haggard peasants sit in their own filth to a rich district where nobles stroll around and everything in between.

Thanks @SMiki55 for sharing it and for kind words. The map was done by me, we talked over it a bit with SMiki back in fan-art thread :)

To explain briefly, I don't know much about Novigrad, did not read books, also northern island couldnt fit the paper i was drawing on. Did that map based on this as a source:

So as its title, it is just an alternative :)

But one thing, is island on right side really empty? I dont think so because i think the inn Geralt meets Dijkstra is in that island. In the SS i put above, Geralt is waiting on a bridge outside the city so i believe it's not empty.

But one thing, is island on right side really empty? I dont think so because i think the inn Geralt meets Dijkstra is in that island. In the SS i put above, Geralt is waiting on a bridge outside the city so i believe it's not empty.

Ofc its not empty but it has lower density then the one Smiki showed, is it bad or good time will tell... I can only speak for my self and for me this Novigrad is more then i thought it would be.

Red is geralt trace, 2 blue circles are big gates in city walls

wolf head is near road sign. on right island there is only couple small villager houses

here you can see same houses on right

Red is geralt trace, 2 blue circles are big gates in city walls

wolf head is near road sign. on right island there is only couple small villager houses

Woah didn't thought it was that big :p
Anyway the island in the north is also part of it so?

Hmm, it seems i missed this part, not good... Guessed the length of the way between the city and the southern island a bit wrong. Also the canals inside the city misled me i guess, as Geralt passes one before he comes to the inn. I thought it was the one between left and right islands.

I guess my version has some urban sprawl issue heh. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom