Forums are abandoned!

+
Actually, in Elder scrolls's case, the lore is much much deeper and original then well, pretty much anything on the market. It is certainly underrated in that respect.
Yeah but the main quest itself is represented casually slow paced, imo Skyrim wasn't that bad just didn't motivate me... oblivion was meh... In skyrim mods added so much by adding side stories etc to fill in the void feeling.

I may start a thread called, "Is it downgraded? YES IT IS. SUCK IT UP CHILDREN.
Yes do that :D

Anyway whats with all the I don't like GTAV/SKyrim/etc posts lately?

Some people love to act like elitists, once something gets popular they're shitting on it, just for the sakes of feeling above the mass (works the same in music, movies, etc...).

Tho, you can easily see the difference between "I don't like it, but I don't care", and those who are "I'm too good to play this crap" who're going to get crazy just by naming it and go in a comment-shitstorm for no reason at all. (like, go in a metalhead forum, and post " I love to listen to Slipknot or Limp Bizkit", grab some pop-corn and enjoy...)

Now, enjoy these, but before we get too smug, remember this -will- be us in a couple years. Just as excited about lack of gleam on mirrorshades, just as depressed about, despite earlier promises, non-removeable cyberware.

If you want, I can already rant about the fact that CDPR said "yeah, Cyberpunk is filled with drugs... you know, like Braindance!", as much as I can agree that Braindance can turn people crazy...
If I can't fix my character with Smash, Synthcoke, Dorph or Black Lace, I'll be really disapointed...
I mean, ok, a bunch of no-life will probably want to screw their brain with Braindance, but you'll always have people to fix themselves with real drugs, to escape reality, more than watching a movie.

Yeah,I dunno about the GTA/Skyrim bashing, but it rears its head once in a while. Hey, some people don't like some games. Sometimes that dislike is so strong they can't play the game. Some Primitives poster siad he couldn't play hardly any of DAI because he hated the mkb controls. Boggle.

The fear is that the weaknesses of Skyrim or GTA - usually, the blanding or weak plot direction, ( or just weak plot!) - will carry over to whichever open world game is being speculated about. This case, W3. NExt, CP2077.

And that's a valid fear. The tightness of story seen in Witcher 2 or, say Last of Us, that's hard to replicate in a choose-your-own-adventure setting. If you prefer a tight story and sleek plot, something like Skyrim is not going to please you a whole lot.

Also, let's be honest - fuck all that "Have you considered joining the Mages Guild?" shite, where NPCs don't notice who you are, what you've done or, you know, really any world changes! So annoying.

No, my concern is that their concern about a game that isn't out yet - and even after it is out, full of failings or flavours they don't like - will disrupt the enjoyment for the majority who do like it. And by Nurgle, sir, I will not have it. Praise the Emprah!

Also, I love how we can't really be Off Topic in this thread, since every post just confirms the non-abandonment of the forum. Wars! Where are you?! Come post! The water's a slick, gleaming, slightly artificial mess! In other words, just cyberpunk fine!

The fear is that the weaknesses of Skyrim or GTA - usually, the blanding or weak plot direction, ( or just weak plot!) - will carry over to whichever open world game is being speculated about. This case, W3. NExt, CP2077.

Fine I'll say it, I thought GTA5 had a good story for what it was. (and I really enjoyed the three new protagonists)

Last edited:
Suck it up meat bags. You won't get any love till 2016.

...*cries because he's a meat bag*

You are such a meatbag. Sobbing like that. What, WHAT would Dalvyn say? You 've let down the side, fleshy!

Fine I'll say it, I thought GTA5 had a good story for what it was. (and I really enjoyed the three new protagonists)

You know, mostly subjective of course, but what is a good story? Does it not include an element of surprise, of newness for the reader/viewer, typically? I didn't see any of that in GTA V. Retreads of their past stuff. Plus Trevor craziness.

To be fair, it's a crime story and you can only do so much. Still, though. What was your favourite story bit, the part that made you go, "Shit! Good writing here!"

For me, playing Witcher 2, there were so many. The byplay in Flotsam, involving an attempt by one powerful character to control shipping whilst convincing neighbouring powers to take his village under their wing, all the while trying to balance the human/non human tension present in the area, exacerbated by nonhuman terrorist/guerillas, who you can choose to aid, impede or a mix of both.

Nearly everything with the complex character of Letho and the revealed motivations at the end of the game.

Saskia and Philippa.

I could go on and on.

From GTA 5 I recall being impressed only with....hmm. The game's willingness to cast you, the player, as a torturer. That was ballsy. Other than that, none of the stories were new, surprising, clever or striking to me. And I liked what I played! Until I stopped out of boredom.

Forum veteran
Tho, you can easily see the difference between "I don't like it, but I don't care", and those who are "I'm too good to play this crap" who're going to get crazy just by naming it and go in a comment-shitstorm for no reason at all.
No reason at all? I used to live and breathe Oblivion. I even used Oldblivion to play it on my laptop.

Then my lack of good computer hardware led me to the Planescapes. The Baldur's Gate 2s. The Arcanums. I was shattered upon the rocks of these games, and it became clear that my purpose in life was to be a missionary, going from forum to forum preaching the gospel of story tightness. Repent of your decadent open-world games and their inherent lack of meaningful consequence and intriguing story arcs, brothers and sisters, and embrace the peace and love of C&C and story-driven games. You may see it as elitism, but there will be a day of reckoning where the open-world games are dragged to the metaphorical guillotine, a day where we'll all be judged by the content of our game libraries and those with egregious amounts of open-world chaff relative to old-school wheat will be unfriended. It's my solemn duty, as it is for every missionary, to keep you unwashed heathens from being caught off-guard, for none but the glorious REDs in the sky know the hour of judgment, and it could arrive at any moment.

You are such a meatbag. Sobbing like that. What, WHAT would Dalvyn say? You 've let down the side, fleshy!

You know, mostly subjective of course, but what is a good story? Does it not include an element of surprise, of newness for the reader/viewer, typically? I didn't see any of that in GTA V. Retreads of their past stuff. Plus Trevor craziness.

To be fair, it's a crime story and you can only do so much. Still, though. What was your favourite story bit, the part that made you go, "Shit! Good writing here!"

For me, playing Witcher 2, there were so many. The byplay in Flotsam, involving an attempt by one powerful character to control shipping whilst convincing neighbouring powers to take his village under their wing, all the while trying to balance the human/non human tension present in the area, exacerbated by nonhuman terrorist/guerillas, who you can choose to aid, impede or a mix of both.

Nearly everything with the complex character of Letho and the revealed motivations at the end of the game.

Saskia and Philippa.

I could go on and on.

From GTA 5 I recall being impressed only with....hmm. The game's willingness to cast you, the player, as a torturer. That was ballsy. Other than that, none of the stories were new, surprising, clever or striking to me. And I liked what I played! Until I stopped out of boredom.

the clever thing about GTA's narrative was the switching between three people that broke up the open world monotony of "look another side quest" ala a ubisoft game. though this might be playing it for the first time post 5 ubisoft games in the last year, all of which where kind of mediocre or out right awful.

would have liked to see more of the world opened up, more of the stores being enterable places not just opening for a single mission.

Suck it up meat bags. You won't get any love till 2016.

...*cries because he's a meat bag*

the clever thing about GTA's narrative was the switching between three people that broke up the open world monotony of "look another side quest" ala a ubisoft game..

i liked that system a lot, although i didnt really liked the main characters that much, it felt fresh and interesting, it for sure had a lot of potencial

Saskia and Philippa.

I could go on and on.

Well first of all Witcher 2 is in another league of awesome writing when compared to GTA5, I didn't say it was amazing I just said it was good :p

Anyway what made me think it was a good story is simple. It kept me engaged, it made me interested in the three characters lives, I wanted to see the story to the end. It didn't need to be unique it just had to be fun. I'm not claiming it's the next oscar winning masterpiece, but It didn't need to do anything else.

When I say something has a good story all I'm saying is I enjoyed it's overall narrative and there wasn't anything particularly wrong with it. I reserve the words "great" or "amazing" for the better things which earn them.

When I say something has a good story all I'm saying is I enjoyed it's overall narrative and there wasn't anything particularly wrong with it. I reserve the words "great" or "amazing" for the better things which earn them.

Fair enough. I enjoy quite a lot of mediocre things for awhile, so if I think it's good, that means it sttod out to me in some aspect. GTA 5 didn't, really. Story-wise.

Some people love to act like elitists, once something gets popular they're shitting on it, just for the sakes of feeling above the mass (works the same in music, movies, etc...).

You don't think there might be a reason for criticism other than alleged and misguided elitism; that popularity is the reason and the shield against which all the criticism is thrown at? That path only leads to the "million flies can't be wrong" -line of thinking.

Sometimies it stands to reason that the more in the (relative) minority you are, the louder you need to be to be heard. And even though not always, it is sometimes the case that popularity and liking of the big picture blinds one from the faults of the product that would be apparent when looking a bit closer, before someone points them out (yeah, that door opens both ways, but that's where the discussion starts).

A lot of people bring these two games as examples for how "things should be done", and it's OK for people to like what they like, but if one thinks otherwise (and in this particular case, I think both GTA V and Skyrim would make a lousy template for a Cyberpunk RPG, plus I don't consider them to be on the higher ground despite their popularity anyway -- McDonald's is popular too, but... ya know), he should say it out loud. These games are extremely popular and well made in their own respects, but they are not above criticism nor some sort of grand panacea of all things gaming.

Sometimies it stands to reason that the more in the (relative) minority you are, the louder you need to be to be heard.

Yup, let's ban Cyberpunk then, since a bunch of minorities says it's the fruit of satan..

I have nothing against criticism, popularity isn't a shield either, exchanging your ideas and point of view is the right thing to do, you'll agree or not on some things, but you can't force people's tastes or what they think would please their tastes.

Sure, fastfood sucks, video game industry turned in a big joke, MTV was better when they showed good video-clips, but you can't do much against it, it's how it goes nowadays, deal with it, or rant against, but nothing will change.
Companies need money to run, and minorities don't buy much, so... welcome in 2015

Last edited:
Yup, let's ban Cyberpunk then, since a bunch of minorities says it's the fruit of satan..

As we say here, "opinions are like assholes, everyone have one, but it doesn't mean yours stinks less than your neighbor's one".

That first line is pretty far-out, Mal. That wasn't Kofe's point at all and you know it. The second line may also be accurate, but everyone around here is free to have a stinky opinion. As long as it's couched relatively politely and with friendly intent. Friendly-ish.

As for GTA and Cyberpunk's similarity, that dev quote is something like an elevator pitch - designed to intrigue and encapsulate, but a very rough idea of what is in mind. They also said CP2077 would be a Role Playing Game and not a shooter, very much unlike GTA.

So we'll have to see. Sometime....next year. Maybe later this year. November? Anyone think November, late November? I need to start a new Countdown Timer soon, after all...

That first line is pretty far-out, Mal. That wasn't Kofe's point at all and you know it.

It's a funny picture, though. Religion is a funny concept to begin with.

As for politeness, we might need a fistfight and a couple of lost teeth over this one, but it's only polite to trade some dentals. Mi casa su casa, or how it goes.

you can't force people's tastes or what they think would please their tastes.

And I have no intent to force anything on anyone. But I do believe, that discussing and viewing things critically (even things one likes) can help broaden ones perspective and perhaps help appreciate things that were previously alien.

Sure, fastfood sucks, video game industry turned in a big joke, MTV was better when they showed good video-clips, but you can't do much against it, it's how it goes nowadays, deal with it, or rant against, but nothing will change.
Companies need money to run, and minorities don't buy much, so... welcome in 2015

Things have already changed. We got Kickstarter. It's nothing really earth shattering yet, but that success already shows there's market for more than Big Macs, even if Big Macs still form the bulk of people's diet (proverbially speaking). Publishers have already shown interest in studios like InXile, Larian and Obsidian over their crowdfunding success' -- or so they claim.

Big and (often) bland AAA "mass-pleasers" aren't going anywhere. And they shouldn't; they have their place. But the market should be able to bend for a higher variety as it used to; nothing will ever change if nobody ever says anything, there's no market if there's no demand.

Last edited:
And I have no intent to force anything on anyone. But I do believe, that discussing and viewing things critically (even things one likes) can help broaden ones perspective and perhaps help appreciate things that were previously alien.

I learn a LOT more arguing with someone about something I like then talking to someone that agrees with me.

Top Bottom