The Politics of the Witcher 2. Part 4: Emhyr, The Hidden Chessmaster

+
The Politics of the Witcher 2. Part 4: Emhyr, The Hidden Chessmaster

Due to formatting issues and restrictions on the number of images I can post here here, I've elected to post the article on Tumblr. You can read the 4rth installement here.

Enjoy!

If I could also offer an advice, read it while listening to this and this (if you're not the type who gets distracted or annoyed). I was listening to them while writing it and they fit oddly well with Nilfgaard.

Great read as usually. Actually learned a couple of things as well, which is amusing after 13 playthroughs. But I wonder, did Philippa order Cynthia to turn Triss into a figurine? I thought Cynthia did it without Philippa knowing

Bleor said:
Great read as usually. Actually learned a couple of things as well, which is amusing after 13 playthroughs. But I wonder, did Philippa order Cynthia to turn Triss into a figurine? I thought Cynthia did it without Philippa knowing

The intrigue, espionage and deceit are the common denominator in the political history of Temeria and other kingdoms. Philipa, Cynthia... both play their tricks and use people and their powers (magical and / or political) for their own purposes, they used both the one to each other, as the other characters on the world that we discovered through the experiences of Geralt.

once again well written post KOP. btw is that your own active blog or is it just for your post? I'll link that too instead of just crediting with your name in my own blog as before. If you have another site/blog of your own then send me the link (preferably on fb as I tend to overlook topics here) so that I can get you a bit more traffic :)

Bleor said:

I find it very improbable, in fact impossible, that Philippa was not able to sense Triss in the figurine even though it was right on her desk, when Vanhemmar can sense Triss approaching the camp from a distance as a figurine.

Philippa had to know.

Bleor said:
once again well written post KOP. btw is that your own active blog or is it just for your post? I'll link that too instead of just crediting with your name in my own blog as before. If you have another site/blog of your own then send me the link (preferably on fb as I tend to overlook topics here) so that I can get you a bit more traffic :)

That's my blog yes and thanks for that, appreciate it :)

Seeing all this information together does indeed make Emhyr more of a magnificent badass in my eyes. The question is: Will CDPR deliver on it? I have hope they will!

Captivating read, it's refreshing to see a well put together and intricately concieved plot rather than the hand waived half arsed attempts that are becoming de rigueur. You show an admirable ability to untangle and disseminate it.

Thanks Damariel :)

CostinMoroianu said:
Seeing all this information together does indeed make Emhyr more of a magnificent badass in my eyes. The question is: Will CDPR deliver on it? I have hope they will!

In the past, I always debated in my head who was the most impressive chessmaster, Letho or Radovid. But when I started thinking of Emhyr's plan as a whole as well as the execution, well it's no longer a contest for me.

I have faith they will. I am worried less about his abilities and more about his motivations and how he behaves. The dev diaries calling Nilfgaard the "Empire of evil" raise some doubts even though they were not portrayed this way in the game.

CostinMoroianu said:
Captivating read, it's refreshing to see a well put together and intricately concieved plot rather than the hand waived half arsed attempts that are becoming de rigueur. You show an admirable ability to untangle and disseminate it.

Thank you, I like to think my studies were useful in that regard at least haha

What is more refreshing and impressive is that TW2's plot has even more intricacy and plot developments than this. 99% of games can't even come close to making a plot as well designed as Emhyr's strategy, let alone have that plus several other interesting plots, all well designed. And all so beautifully linked.

KnightofPhoenix said:
I find it very improbable, in fact impossible, that Philippa was not able to sense Triss in the figurine even though it was right on her desk, when Vanhemmar can sense Triss approaching the camp from a distance as a figurine.

Philippa had to know.
I want to discuss this point with you:

Vanhemmar sensed the jade statuette, not the Triss figurine inside. Why would Philippa suspect anything from the jade statuette, even if she did sense it? As far as she could have been concerned, it was just another magical item Cynthia was playing around with (if it was magical at that stage, since Cynthia could have charmed it later on).
Besides, just because the jade statuette was on her desk, doesn't mean Triss was inside at that time. It could have been prior to her capture.

If Triss was inside the Jade statuette on her desk and she did in fact know about it, one would think that she would guard it better! Remember the precautions she took to guard the counter-spell to Saskia's charm? I find it very hard to believe that Philippa would be careless enough to let a fellow lodge member - someone who knew all her secrets, previous dealings, and inner workings of the lodge - be so easily reachable.

Then there is Triss' testimony. She said that she went to Philippa's house, and was taken by surprise by Cynthia's attack while Philippa was out. Philippa did not send Cynthia out to capture Triss, it was Triss that ran into Cynthia.

Philippa is cold and calculating, but if she has a soft spot for anything, it would be her fellow lodge members. When Geralt tells Phillipa that Sile ordered the mercenaries she sent to kill Triss along with the king slayers, she was furious. I played that scene multiple times, and she wasn't acting, she was genuinely surprised and angry at Sile's decision. I find it unlikely that Philippa would resort to harming Triss before Triss actually showed any intention to interfere.

-----------------------------------

My take on it: A series of unfortunate events. After Geralt delivered Triss' bandanna to Philippa, they were side tracked by external events (such as the mob accusing Stennis of poisoning Saskia) before she had the chance to properly search for her. Later on, while Philippa was out, Triss walks into her house by chance. Cynthia sensing a great opportunity, attacks Triss and turns her into the figurine.

She tells Vanhemmar of this recent development using magical means while Philippa was still out. She could have then charmed the statuette or choose it because it was magical to begin with, and told Vanhemmar to keep a look out for it.

This also adds up with Nilfgaards hasty departure from Henselt's camp in the middle of the night as soon as they got the Triss figurine. They didn't even pack up their camp and supplies, so it wasn't preplanned or they would have been better prepared for it.

KnightofPhoenix said:
In the past, I always debated in my head who was the most impressive chessmaster, Letho or Radovid. But when I started thinking of Emhyr's plan as a whole as well as the execution, well it's no longer a contest for me.

I have faith they will. I am worried less about his abilities and more about his motivations and how he behaves. The dev diaries calling Nilfgaard the "Empire of evil" raise some doubts even though they were not portrayed this way in the game.

If they portray Emhyr as a genocidal maniac who goes on insane ramblings like Hitler does in Der Untergang I'll be quite angry, perhaps angry enough to buy a plane ticket to Warsaw to punch some writers ( just joking ).

Still I am rather hopeful, in fact the thing I'm wondering right now is after the agonizing process I went through to make a Letho tribute how in bloody hell will I make an Emhyr one!

What's next for you? Radovid or Temeria?

Keep in mind if you are going to Temeria that the La Valattes rebelled a while ago, before the events of the first game which explains why Foltest was not in Vizima.

Dragon said:
I want to discuss this point with you:

Vanhemmar sensed the jade statuette, not the Triss figurine inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WytbiCbGX8E
3:40

Shilard: "This is Vanhemar, my personal sorcerer. He sensed Triss approaching the camp."

So no, Vanhemar was able to sense Triss specifically. If he was able to, it is impossible for Philippa not to.

If Triss was inside the Jade statuette on her desk and she did in fact know about it, one would think that she would guard it better! Remember the precautions she took to guard the counter-spell to Saskia's charm? I find it very hard to believe that Philippa would be careless enough to let a fellow lodge member - someone who knew all her secrets, previous dealings, and inner workings of the lodge - be so easily reachable.

She did slip there, but she would have thought that the figurine hidden inside a statuette was enough to keep it safe. No one would be able to sense that it's magical other than her and her trusted apprentice. Geralt was easily manipulated to look the other way.

Then there is Triss' testimony. She said that she went to Philippa's house, and was taken by surprise by Cynthia's attack while Philippa was out. Philippa did not send Cynthia out to capture Triss, it was Triss that ran into Cynthia.

Perhaps an ambush set by Philippa. I find it hard to believe Philippa didn't sense her presence.

In any case, even if she didn't order it, she knew about it afterwards and kept her in the figurine. But she has every reason to do that in the first place.

Philippa is cold and calculating, but if she has a soft spot for anything, it would be her fellow lodge members. When Geralt tells Phillipa that Sile ordered the mercenaries she sent to kill Triss along with the king slayers, she was furious. I played that scene multiple times, and she wasn't acting, she was genuinely surprised and angry at Sile's decision. I find it unlikely that Philippa would resort to harming Triss before Triss actually showed any intention to interfere.

And I do not doubt that her anger was genuine. I do think Philippa cares for Triss and doesn't want her dead.

But consider this. Triss is opposed to the Lodge's plan and is adamant to find out who is behind the assassinations to absolve her love Geralt. That and she would have been opposed to controlling Saskia. It makes perfect sense for Philippa to want to get her out of the way. Turning her into a figurine would be the best way to do it without killing her.

CostinMoroianu said:
What's next for you? Radovid or Temeria?

Keep in mind if you are going to Temeria that the La Valattes rebelled a while ago, before the events of the first game which explains why Foltest was not in Vizima.

Not sure. Probably Temeria. Then I might write about the Lodge and Philippa's plans. Then Radovid.

And I do know that Foltest was dealing with problems up north but is it mentioned that it's the La Valettes? It would make sense actually. As Letho says, tensions were escalating and he had to become a monk months in advance. So I'd put at around the beginning of the first game.

darker days ahead in TW3 game.....hope to see that my raised question will be solved when the TW3 released.... waiting for TW3

KnightofPhoenix said:
So no, Vanhemar was able to sense Triss specifically. If he was able to, it is impossible for Philippa not to.
Been a while since I played the game. Sorry for the mistake.

She did slip there, but she would have thought that the figurine hidden inside a statuette was enough to keep it safe. No one would be able to sense that it's magical other than her and her trusted apprentice. Geralt was easily manipulated to look the other way.
Hmmm...perhaps the reason why she took so much precautions with Saskia's counterspell is because of the Triss figurine incident.

And I do not doubt that her anger was genuine. I do think Philippa cares for Triss and doesn't want her dead.

But consider this. Triss is opposed to the Lodge's plan and is adamant to find out who is behind the assassinations to absolve her love Geralt. That and she would have been opposed to controlling Saskia. It makes perfect sense for Philippa to want to get her out of the way. Turning her into a figurine would be the best way to do it without killing her.
Your explanation does indeed seem plausible. Next time I replay the game, I am going to have to pay attention to these events closer, and then decide if Philippa did or didn't know about the Triss figurine. Congrats, you made the game that much more complex for me .

This is something that I only thought of after my 5fth playthrough, which to me goes to show how good Philippa is at manipulating people and diverting their attention. (my love for her naturally increased :p)

It's always a pleasure :)

The events in Vergen are still ambiguous, but imo, Philippa was behind both Triss' predicament and Saskia's poisoning.

The current Emperor of Nilfgaard is Emhyr Var Emreis, who bears the title of Deithwen Addan yn Carn aep Morvudd (The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of His Enemies). He was cursed by a group of conspirators who opposed his father’s rule before coming of age. He was cursed to turn into a hideous creature from dawn till midnight, effectively making it impossible for him to fulfill his birthright. The curse was broken however thanks to Geralt of Rivia and Emhyr was subsequently able to take his throne and exact a terrible vengeance on the conspirators. Please care to ellaborate.....i know the nordling.....but i want detail about his history

In the last wish short story Geralt is hired by the Queen of Cintra for a job to kill a monster, what he doesn't know is the monster is a guy named Dunny who is a human turned into a beast by a curse cast on him as a child. Still Dunny is still perfectly rational and he seeks to marry the Queen's daughter, which he deserves to by the law of surprise when he saved the King's life, who is dead at this point, but the queen opposes this.

The princess however has fallen in love with Dunny, so yeah beauty and the beast cliche however Geralt manages to lift the curse and convince the queen to allow them to marry. Dunny and his wife have sex, she get's pregnant and gives birth to a daughter.

Ciri.

Later they board a ship to Nilfgaard, but the princess being suspicious leaves her daughter behind in Cintra. Dunny is then revealed by the Emhyr.

So that's it ladies and gentlemen: Geralt of Rivia is the adoptive father of Ciri, rightful heir to the Nilfgaardian Empire! God have mercy on us.

Top Bottom