The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7589650 said:
Where are those Wives' Tears?
They've become rather scarce these days, but I managed to locate a bottle for you:

Hope, i don't beat a dead horse here, but is there any news on a native Linux Version for TW3?
Played TW1 back in my Windoze days, bought TW exclusively because of the native Linux Version.
Probably waiting for Vulcan ?

Didn't buy any non-Linux game for a long time now and most probably never again will.

I like TW series and i liked how CDPR behaved in TW2 time. I really hope, this part of the fanbase won't get dropped.

Cormac.Dubh;n7629330 said:
Hope, i don't beat a dead horse here, but is there any news on a native Linux Version for TW3?

Welcome to the forum! There haven't been any news in a long time. CDPR don't communicate anything lately. You can find the timeline of key events here. That's all information that's available now.

Probably waiting for Vulcan ?
I doubt it. From their last communication it sounded like they don't care to work on TW3 anymore. You can check however this thread about Cyberpunk 2077. Please comment there too, and express your interest in the Linux version. The more Linux users will speak up - the better. It's possible they'll release CP2077 for Linux using Vulkan, but CDPR never said anything on the topic really.

I like TW series and i liked how CDPR behaved in TW2 time. I really hope, this part of the fanbase won't get dropped.
CDPR seem to be drifting in the direction of legacy publishers who ignore Linux users, so I don't have high hopes.

Last edited:
A native port from CDPR themselves does not look likely at this point. Too bad the VP port of TW2 was not received well, that probably does not encourage outsourcing the newer game to another company, either, although Feral Interactive for example would likely be interested given how well the game still sells.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7589450 said:
Wine-staging 2.0. Not much of a difference, but this time I tried walking around a bit after skipping the broken intro to avoid audio spoilers.
Looks like this:

That is actually impressive progress from the game not running at all not so long ago. Perhaps it could become playable this year, even if it takes time to fix all the visual glitches and other issues.

sv3672;n7638500 said:
A native port from CDPR themselves does not look likely at this point. Too bad the VP port of TW2 was not received well, that probably does not encourage outsourcing the newer game to another company, either, although Feral Interactive for example would likely be interested given how well the game still sells.

I feel that it's unlikely too, given how much time CDPR had to address this, and the fact that they have more than enough money to do it. On the other hand, TW2 for Linux came out 3 years after their initial release for Windows. It's not 3 years still from the initial release of TW3, so who knows. May be CDPR will wake up and ask Feral or VP to make it in the future.

TW2 port from VP was mostly criticized in the beginning, because it was indeed beta quality, VP admitted that. They however fixed major performance issues that it had, and it's pretty good now, and quite popular among Linux gamers. I doubt initial troubles of VP port are the reason for CDPR not to release anything else for Linux.

sv3672;n7638500 said:
That is actually impressive progress from the game not running at all not so long ago. Perhaps it could become playable this year, even if it takes time to fix all the visual glitches and other issues.

The progress is due to continuous work on DX11 support in Wine. There are still missing features, but things are moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
Didn't buy any non-Linux game for a long time now and most probably never again will.

The same thing to me. Last three years (since first install of Linux) I buy only Linux versions of games. If there will be no version for Linux (native or even some port), I will NEVER buy TW3. And no other game. If there will be really possible to play some games with Wine, I will play them, but without Linux support any game studio will not have my money. This is my position.

Linux gaming is gradually growing. So if CDPR thought it was worth it to release TW2 for Linux when Linux gaming market was smaller, not sure what really stopped them from doing the same thing with TW3.

The make it or break it test will be with Cyberpunk 2077. If CDPR won't release it for Linux, it will show that they (development studio at least) now reverted to legacy publishers mentality regarding Linux, and copy practices from EA, Activision and the like.

Last edited:
Wine-staging 2.1.0. The start menu works at last without corruption with Mesa (when CSMT is enabled, since they now made CSMT work with DX11).

The rest isn't any better than before.

Riven-Twain volsungGarrison72
Sorry to bother folks, but you probably know this well. What should be the correct intro video for TW3? Does it play when you click "New Game"? In Wine I don't get any intro, when clicking New Game it goes straight into Kaer Morhen baths or something like that. I also saw this video, and not sure, is it one of the intros too?

I suspect it's some bug in Wine, but just to be sure what's missing, would appreciate your comments.

I think when you start a new game you get one of the impressive CGI videos, where Geralt and Vesemir track down Yennefer (we saw this before the game was released). After that you start playing the flashbacks, starting with Geralt in a wooden tub.

I haven't played TW3 in a while but if I remember correctly, that comic book style video is the main intro, before you get to the main menu.

If you can only see one of them with Wine then that's weird. I'd assume all videos use the same codec. Then again, it's already a surprise that it actually starts.

I'd really like to know what CDPR's plans are regarding Linux. As of now, I think TW3 is the only major game I like that is Windows-only. Sadly, their seem to like keeping things secret nowadays.

It might not be a reliable indicator, but the jobs posted here do not seem to include any related to Linux programming, although I only checked the details (by clicking on the link) of a couple ones. Where I did, they required experience with Visual Studio, DirectX, and other Microsoft technologies. I do think a Witcher 3 port (if any) by another company like Feral or Aspyr is more likely, but it would be interesting to know what the plans regarding Cyberpunk 2077 are.

volsung;n7740370 said:
If you can only see one of them with Wine then that's weird. I'd assume all videos use the same codec. Then again, it's already a surprise that it actually starts.

I can't see any of the intros, so I assume something is failing in Wine and those intros are simply skipped.

sv3672;n7742380 said:
It might not be a reliable indicator, but the jobs posted here do not seem to include any related to Linux programming

I check their job postings periodically for Linux and Vulkan. They had a few GOG related Linux positions, and some network related stuff (they are using Linux for server infrastructure). But never any engine related Linux openings.

Intro videos work if you install xact_jun2010 (using winetricks). Nice to see at least the starting parts of the game working without glitches in Wine :)

According to a post on Phoronix, the game might be getting a Vulkan update in the future. Although I think this information may not be reliable, since I only found a recent press release from AMD about partnership with Bethesda, but not CDPR.

Top Bottom