[MODS] A small collection of personal mods

+
[MODS] A small collection of personal mods

UPDATE: please use this following post link to a temp location for new/live links to latest mod versions: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ersonal-mods?p=2270840&viewfull=1#post2270840

Hey folks,

A few people around have been asking me to share my few mods that I've done up so far during my playthrough. I've been trying to keep on with playing the game rather than modding it, etc. But, some things I ended up compelled to mod, because they annoyed me ;p Most are quality of life stuff, intended for personal use, but I figured others may want to use them too.

Modifications include;

modEnvLighting (Notice: check here for more info on majorly updated versions) - This is sort of a global lighting overhaul. It modifies 120+ envs that are commonly used, from all areas. Providing more accurate object light interaction. Basically so people, and the environment/stuff don't glow bright in the dark, and have accurate interaction with light, and the game camera. It resolves the fluorescent-lights-skin-syndrom people have with the default lighting. Also, it sorts out the overly bright interiors. It actually makes quite a big difference IQ speaking imo.

It also (optionally) adds a few extra location-specific weather presets to the prologue area, Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige. Such as Fog, Dust clouds, sun showers, calm winds for Velen, and Fog, sleet, snow storm, to Skellige (for examples). Nothing extreme or anything like that.

This can also be used with other lighting mods (such as ULM) as long as they're not modifiying the actual env files. Also ensure the other lighting mod is loaded after this one.

modLodAndFX (Notice: check here for more info on majorly updated versions) - This a) increases the level of detail for geralt and all of his components (hair, beard, skin, eyes, model, etc) It also increases the ambient occlusion allowance on him overall. I swapped out lod-based in-game hair for uber quality one (non HWs). It also removes the pop-in for stuff regarding him. Basically so he looks the same in and out of cutscenes. And not like a glazed-eyed zombie when you're outside of dialogues. And b) it also doubles the particle allowance for both Igni, and Aard and their various forms.

modRendAndRuneGlow - This modifies the rend special attack camera, it removes the screen wobbling, and the wonky OST-ish forced camera (basically you keep the regular cam when using Rend). It also removes the persistent glow from weapon runes.

modRoachControl - This modifies Roach's controls to remove the auto steer pathing of roads. I personally found it annoying when using a controller, so I just removed it. Personal preference oriented of course. Feels much better not having to keep the left stick pressed down all the time, so Roach doesn't go running off in the wrong direction ;p

modCamera - this is various small camera modifications. Such as, a tiny bit further back indoors, a smoother running cam, removes the sprint cam changes, smoothes out roaches cam, and makes trotting distance the same as riding. Also caps the combat distance at the original released distance. I found after some patch it got crazy far away almost like a moba lol.

modSkillPoints - This basically makes it so you get 2 skill points per level, and 2 skill points per Place of Power. Its purely personal pref. I found, seeing as you've only got 12 slots for active skills, A few extra points to play around with builds would be more fun, and rewarding when you level up, or find a PoP. This doesn't require a new game or anything, but it will obvious only take effect for any PoP, and levels gained after installing it. No backlog etc.

modAnalogFix - This is basically just my own version of the analog fix. Keeps a smooth range between slow walking <-> and running, without messing with anything else.

modTextureGroups - This just modifies the texture groups array xml, to use the higher quality compression for stuff (which was previously only used for cutscenes), and allows a higher res cap to ensure the highest able is used. Understand this is not forcing anything. It just enables the use of.

Use whatever you like from it. Merge, or share, etc at your own discretion. I can put them on Nexus whenever I get around to it. But for now I really cba making all the pages, and getting screens etc. Maybe later or so. Enjoy.

Link: Mods compilation (OneDrive link)

Last edited:
modGeraltLodAndSigns
modTextureGroups

Feel like these are perfect combo with Increased LOD's Architecture & Environment parts.
Already gave it small test, spammed few Aards and came back here. :)

That looks cool !
However, it might be nice to add that you took inspiration of already existing mods.
I've only checked modEnvLighting. I was curious to see what exactly did you add as weathers definitions since I'm currently working on my Weather mod that I based off EWCM, released a few days ago, only to see that, in fact, some of them (most of them in fact) are just copy/paste of mine with an added .env to it.

Can you release a version of Geraltlodsings without the eyes? I'm already using a witcher eye replacer and I would prefer to use that.

Edit: I installed your Geraldlodsigns and Texturegroups files but can't really tell if it did anything. Is there an easy way to tell?

Last edited:
Are some mods, for example LOD tweaks performance hungry? Or there is no performance impact at all?

modGeraltLodAndSigns
modTextureGroups

Feel like these are perfect combo with Increased LOD's Architecture & Environment parts.
Already gave it small test, spammed few Aards and came back here. :)

Yeah, These are done manually, though. It's pretty painstaking tbh, there are ~70+ mesh files just for Geralt alone lol.

That looks cool !
However, it might be nice to add that you took inspiration of already existing mods.
I've only checked modEnvLighting. I was curious to see what exactly did you add as weathers definitions since I'm currently working on my Weather mod that I based off EWCM, released a few days ago, only to see that, in fact, some of them (most of them in fact) are just copy/paste of mine with an added .env to it.

I'm sorry about that, man. Honestly, I'd forgotten about it (I hadn't even remembered I had added some extra weather types until later on after I posted this, and I had to edit the OP and add it in lol). I remember I liked the idea when I seen your weather additions, and I incorporated a few modified types to my csv's. But, as I've mentioned a few times in the OP. I'm not really "releasing" these, not about e-peen. Just sharing them here, as it was requested. And, they were all intended for personal use. It's also why a lot of them are bundled together. Some used the same scripts and whatnot.

Again, apologies. But the weather additions are realy only a tiny fraction of the overall changes in that one tbf. It modifies most of the games' environmental files. It keeps all of the original locale-specific color, & params, but changes the camera lighting, etc. The CSL env is more modified though.

Can you release a version of Geraltlodsings without the eyes? I'm already using a witcher eye replacer and I would prefer to use that.

Edit: I installed your Geraldlodsigns and Texturegroups files but can't really tell if it did anything. Is there an easy way to tell?

Those are modifying the lod, and mesh params, not the textures. You can still use the custom eyes. If you want to compare take a screenshot with Geralt facing the cam with them off, then with them on, I guess.

Are some mods, for example LOD tweaks performance hungry? Or there is no performance impact at all?

I didn't notice any frame rate cost from any of the mods in the OP.

---

I also forgot to mention in the OP (it was pretty late when I posted it) that the mesh/lod edits are done using Sarcen's amazing editor.

Feel free to use whatever you like, if you want to add/merge them with other mods, or such.

Last edited:
What do you mean when you replace the LOD hair with uber quality HW hair?

What I mean is - by default when running around in-game Geralt has various assets using "assetname"_lod. For instance: hair, eyes, skin, teeth. I removed the use of the lower lod ones, and changed it so it uses to non-lod, max quality ones at all times. And I said Non-HW hair btw. Not HW hair.

It's does this for all hair, but I found it most noticable with the default longer /w ponytail hair, myself.

cool stuff.

Thanks, man. Nothing too fancy overall. Just stuff that I wanted to change/ or annoyed me enough to mod. I've still not gotten around to completing the game yet, so I'm trying to stick to playing, and not ruin my playthrough getting OCD about modding it xD

Last edited:
Sounds promising...any chance to have some comparing screens? Just to see how it would like...

Must say that I love your ENV mod , I hated the fact that Geralt had this light around him in caves .... Your mod fixed that :)

Can I use your env edit with Shaedhen's weather mod? Since the both do the same thing with the weathers I'd assume not. Can you release a version without weather edits?

Asmodean...THANK YOU! Thank you so much for being awesome. I've been struggling to figure out how to remove the fake lights from the game, and thanks to your mod and digging into it, I finally figured it out! You can ignore my PM I sent now lol.

I'm going to release it soon, it's going to make a pretty big difference with the lighting in dark areas, whether it's during gameplay or during a cutscene. In a good way IMO. Torch will become much more useful as well :p

edit: actually seems I do still need help, what did you edit to remove the light from geralt in the cave?

edit 2: Nevermind, I figured it out, looks like I'll have to do this mod the hard way and add the change to every .env lol...is there a quick way to go about this or do I just have to paste the variable into ever .env one by one?

Last edited:
Must say that I love your ENV mod , I hated the fact that Geralt had this light around him in caves .... Your mod fixed that :)

Thanks, glad you like it. That also bothered me. Hence why I modded it lol.

thanks so much, amazing work, how did i miss this thread

Thanks, man. Not seen you around lately, what's up?.

Can I use your env edit with Shaedhen's weather mod? Since the both do the same thing with the weathers I'd assume not. Can you release a version without weather edits?

I've uploaded that below, check for the link.

Asmodean...THANK YOU! Thank you so much for being awesome. I've been struggling to figure out how to remove the fake lights from the game, and thanks to your mod and digging into it, I finally figured it out! You can ignore my PM I sent now lol.

I'm going to release it soon, it's going to make a pretty big difference with the lighting in dark areas, whether it's during gameplay or during a cutscene. In a good way IMO. Torch will become much more useful as well :p

edit: actually seems I do still need help, what did you edit to remove the light from geralt in the cave?

edit 2: Nevermind, I figured it out, looks like I'll have to do this mod the hard way and add the change to every .env lol...is there a quick way to go about this or do I just have to paste the variable into ever .env one by one?

Sorry, I've not been on to check pm stuff, glad you got it sorted. That is related to the camera lighting btw. I used modified params for that. For the dialog lighting, its thr dialog lighting params.

----------------

I've updated the two below, if people want to update to them;

I went a bit overboard with modding the effects. Along with the changes already mentioned in the OP, I've increased the quality / particle count of;

• all signs
  • bleeding,
  • blood decals,
  • dismemberment,
  • blood trails,
  • cold area fx,
  • dust particles,
  • wind fx,
  • interior fx,
  • fog,
  • water fog,
  • wind pollen / flowers,
  • leaves,
  • rain,
  • snow,
  • fire(bonfires, braziers, torches, etc),
  • embers,
  • smoke,
  • low cloud fx,
  • location specific fx for prolog, Novigrad, Velen, Kaer Morhen.

I've also improved all of the sign particle effects. Doubled their amount, and added wind infuence to the Igni embers, and smoke. Also wind infuence to the Aard water splash, and dust.

Link: modLodAndFX

Also, by request, I've updated the world lighting env mod, and uploaded a version without the modified csv files, (weather stuff). Only all of the modded envs in there now, so enjoy.

Link: modWorldEnvLighting

Let me know how you get on with them.

Last edited:
^Thanks for the modEnvlightning version without weathers!

Your new modlodandfx, should I still be using your geraltlodandsigns and texturegroup mods with it?

@Asmodean your worldenvlighting don´t works if you have installed sjbox lod mod if you charge a saved game appears an infinite load screen. Sorry for my english

^Thanks for the modEnvlightning version without weathers!

Your new modlodandfx, should I still be using your geraltlodandsigns and texturegroup mods with it?

Remove GeraltLodandSigns. Keep the rest. I changed the name, as it modifies more than just signs now.

@Asmodean your worldenvlighting don´t works if you have installed sjbox lod mod if you charge a saved game appears an infinite load screen. Sorry for my english

There shouldn't be anything being changed in these that would produce an infinite loading screen. I suspect it's the lod distance mod. That mod is very ambitious and still riddled with bugs currently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom