Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Tempers, tempers.

I hope the game will be fun - I don't expect it to be Cormac McCarthy, or whoever. It's much too easy to pick any work apart - very few can sustain criticism from someone determined to dislike a product at the outset.

As for incompetent or semi-competent generals running armies? There's a couple cases of that IRL. A couple.

That said, Bioware's rep for storytelling has not been, in my opinion, stellar as of late. I did Like Jade Empire, though.

I spent half an hour going over the Dragon Keep save game function - the impression I came away with was that DA:O was a lot more epic than DA2, which is also how I remember playing them.

I do miss the Origins part of Dragon Age, but on the other hand, the Keep reminded me I had a HELL of a time picking between my Elf Mage, my Dwarf Noble, my Dwarf Commoner and my Human Noble. So at least that's....easier?

Realism wise, I don’t think that a majority the DA:O origins weren’t meant to prep you up a gifted commander, rather you were meant to be the ordinary man with some talent. You can argue for Cousland and Aeducan, but for the rest of the origins the Warden shouldn't even know how to handle military leadership to begin with. He could be talented at making decisions for the greater good in the outcome sure, but he will get things done messy IMO. He will also at times be a foreigner chess piece in a political game (Orzammar).

Personally though, being the political mastermind all the time is not my cup of tea, and I like being the everyman with untested moral values and see how they crack under pressure.

That’s why I quite enjoyed my mage elf playthrough because she was incomptetent and naïve, and that’s what I expected from young girl who has been sheltered in a big tower for her whole life and knows nothing of leading.

Favorite choice ever in the game was actually failing to save Irving because of her incompetence, and then personally executing Jowan as a follow-up at Redcliffe. She becomes a bit of a better leader, but I didn’t expect her to become a prodigy after a few weeks who can manage to match Bhelen or Anora. Really the best accomplishment she did was ending the Blight within only a year.

I’m not expecting much from Inquisition but I do hope we can fail quests and continue with the game and make stupid decisions still. Its what made DA2 bearable and occasionally entertaining.

Last edited:
Sorry for my temper. I just get frustrated when people make a topic more than what it was. I'm well aware of how people feel about Bioware and their storytelling, and as I always find myself saying in these boards, I don't even disagree. I certainly don't like Dragon Age Origins because the story was super original, lol, especially when mass effect and Origins practically tell the same exact story.

All I said was that the warden was more capable a general than hawke. Even if everyone including myself agreed they were both stupid and sucked nekker farts, I'm pretty sure everyone here would agree the Warden accomplishes more than Hawke, no matter if you thought that the warden did so stupidly, or by lacking intelligence.

Even ignoring all that... The warden has experience leading men, and Hawke really doesn't at all. So whether or not people think the warden is capable of being A general, it's undeniable that he's still more capable than Hawke, no matter how small others may think that margin is.

That's it. I really don't think my comment warranted all this.

I really wish discussions here wouldn't end with "you're dumb because you think x but I'm smart because I think x is dumb"
can't we have discussions that don't end in name-calling? Okay so you think Bioware's stories are dumb, no need to insult people that don't find that to be the case.

BUT anyway, on another topic, I made the MOST adorable looking Elf Grey Warden today. He looks about 12 years old and is half the size of everyone else. It's so cute I'm having a hard time concentrating on the game properly.

I certainly don't like Dragon Age Origins because the story was super original, lol, especially when mass effect and Origins practically tell the same exact story.
This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I just want to point out that just about all BioWare games use the exact same story format even going back to KOTOR 1. "Go to these 4-5 locations in any order to collect item X. Deal with a different political faction at each location. Once you've finished use item X to attack the bad guy!"

I really wish discussions here wouldn't end with "you're dumb because you think x but I'm smart because I think x is dumb" can't we have discussions that don't end in name-calling?
Well that's a dumb opinion. Jk. :troll:

Last edited:
Personally though, being the political mastermind all the time is not my cup of tea, and I like being the everyman with untested moral values and see how they crack under pressure.

I don't mind this kind of story actually. What I do mind is Bioware's insistence on making such a character a god like being leading nations.

Yeah because we have to jump between extremes right?

Look at Geralt, he's no leader of a nation but he is easily one of the competent, intelligent and capable protagonist we've seen.

Look at Geralt, he's no leader of a nation but he is easily one of the competent, intelligent and capable protagonist we've seen.

I was just kidding with you. And perhaps a tomato picking peasant roleplaying game would be exciting. You never know until you've tried one.

But in all seriousness, not a single one of the Dragon Age games has turned your character into a "god like being leading nations."
The Warden to an extent leads a sizeable army, but she's no god, and Hawke is definitely not either of those things. I can't comment on other Bioware games, however, as I haven't played them.

The Warden to an extent leads a sizeable army, but she's no god, and Hawke is definitely not either of those things. I can't comment on other Bioware games, however, as I haven't played them.

god like being. Also the warden is seriously one. Taking down up to three High Dragons, butchering hundreds of Darkspawn and well trained soldiers/assassins/mercenaries. Ending a blight in less then a year.

If that's not god like being I dunno what is. it's a power trip.

Trading one extreme for another, as it were.

god like being. Also the warden is seriously one. Taking down up to three High Dragons, butchering hundreds of Darkspawn and well trained soldiers/assassins/mercenaries. Ending a blight in less then a year.

You act as if they did all of this by themselves.

She doesn't do those things by herself though? She has a team of 3 other capable warriors/mages who assist her, plus the others at the end of the game. And all those armies that join her. She's a formidable leader but no god.

I think Bioware can make an important hero without giving them god-given powers or even being tasked to save the world. I’m not sure it would be better, but it would be a different route if Bioware made the protagonist the royal heir of a dying nation. No special powers, no eminent doom, but you are important.

That said, the current Bioware stories aren’t innovative because they really are just the backdrop for the characters. They prioritize on characters first because that’s their strength and that’s what many people want the most from their games. The save-the-world story is the quickest and fastest plot to get a whole group of different people together and see how they react to it. (Haven’t played older Bioware games either to really say). It makes Dragon Age entertaining, but its also why I don't think Dragon Age isn't really art or even that meaningful. The huge timesink and character interactions in Inquisition is just an excuse to delve into escapism, IMO.

She doesn't do those things by herself though? She has a team of 3 other capable warriors/mages who assist her, plus the others at the end of the game. And all those armies that join her. She's a formidable leader but no god.

If you’re hardcore enough you can playthrough with no party members actually so technically you can be Mary Sue if you have the skills. xD

I think Bioware can make an important hero without giving them god-given powers or even being tasked to save the world. I’m not sure it would be better, but it would be a different route if Bioware made the protagonist the royal heir of a dying nation. No special powers, no eminent doom, but you are important.

That said, the current Bioware stories aren’t innovative because they really are just the backdrop for the characters. They prioritize on characters first because that’s their strength and that’s what many people want the most from their games. The save-the-world story is the quickest and fastest plot to get a whole group of different people together and see how they react to it. (Haven’t played older Bioware games either to really say). It makes Dragon Age entertaining, but its also why I don't think Dragon Age isn't really art or even that meaningful. The huge timesink and character interactions in Inquisition is just an excuse to delve into escapism, IMO.

If you’re hardcore enough you can playthrough with no party members actually so technically you can be Mary Sue if you have the skills. xD

Definitely true. Dragon Age is great because of the characters and companions. The storylines are just there to keep things moving LMAO

Loool I find Dragon Age Origins hard enough on easy with a full party I think i'd die on my own........

Surprised they're going with a demon invasion though, killed thousands of them annoying little wimps in the first two games, i'd not think there were that many left. Hardly a serious threat when you've killed 'em before by the thousand, like a god sweeping aside petty mortals. More of an irritating trifle.

Edit: Yeah they ought to stick with the squeeing moron characters and dating sim aspects, that's Biowares strength.

Good on you :) Bloth is still right that they are squeeing morons.

(Haven’t played older Bioware games either to really say).

I can, and they weren't about saving the world and yet they had not only BETTER companions in same cases but also a good story.

Top Bottom