+

What skills matter to you the most?

• Signs.

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Swords.

Votes: 58 59.2%
  • Alchemy.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • All of the above as equally as possible.

Votes: 24 24.5%

• Total voters
I wanna be the best swordsman that Northem Kingdoms and Nilfgaard has ever known - so ABSOLUTE 100% Swordsmanship tree.

A witcher without alchemy is half a witcher.

I finished Witcher 2 two times with a strong focus on the alchemy tree. And I have to resist laughing my ass off every time when I read comments on youtube that are like "alchemy is so difficult, the game is much harder when focussing on it" .... you get so strong with this shit, you're one-hitting enemies in the second and third chapter, when you combined it with strong, rune-powered swords+oils etc. ... I just love alchemy in the witcher games. For me it sets the franchise apart from other games. Swords and magic spells exist in every rpg... but those are awesome, too. :)

First playthrough: Sword + Sign
Second playthrough: Sword + Alchemy

I managed to max Sword and Sign and a bit of Alchemy (until mutagen enhancement or something) on Witcher 2.

I'll go with Sword and on my second playthrough with sign (magic) build. I'm not really into alchemy to be honest, only a few skills.

I think I'll go with something like 50% Signs (Igni and Aard mostly, Axii actually looks useful this time too), 35% swords (mainly to get the special moves and such), and 15% alchemy (bombs and potions).
Might switch priorities on signs and swords if there are more interesting swordsmanship skills though. And if light armor - oh horror - is tons more fashionable than medium.

A witcher without alchemy is half a witcher.

I finished Witcher 2 two times with a strong focus on the alchemy tree. And I have to resist laughing my ass off every time when I read comments on youtube that are like "alchemy is so difficult, the game is much harder when focussing on it" .... you get so strong with this shit, you're one-hitting enemies in the second and third chapter, when you combined it with strong, rune-powered swords+oils etc. ... I just love alchemy in the witcher games. For me it sets the franchise apart from other games. Swords and magic spells exist in every rpg... but those are awesome, too. :)

I agree but the thing is that you don't really need to put points in the Alchemy skills for alchemy to be useful, I think. It will be less efficient, but you can still enjoy that aspect of the game. While with martial and magic skills, you can unlock some cool new moves/powers, which is a huge part of their appeal to me.

I vote for the 4th option, but I can guess perhaps I'll be following the Signs path the more I read CDPR's devs words....

Out of 4x3 active skills i'll go with 1st 3 - Alchemy - Acquired Tolerance, Side Effects and Synergy, 2nd 3 Signs - Magic Trap and Sustained Glyphs [yrden skill] and Puppet [from Axii] or Firestream [smth for crowd control - some monsters are immune to axxi and i'll have to check how long burning lasts] , 3rd 3 from fighting skills - counterattack + first and third ability from strong attack tree. Last 3 slots - Crippling shot for some pesky monsters and from utilities - Bear school and Adrenaline Burst - It should be fun :D

A bit of a tanky [bear shool heavy armor + 20% VItality bonus],
hippie [side effects] bonuses from 4 [2 random] potions.
control wizard [Yrden's slowing down enemies, destroying projectiles, 14 yeards radius, continous dmg to all inside it and Crossbow Crippling Shot]
with one f*** crazy ass strong and easy to perform counterattack
+90%dmg + knockdown - Counterattack
+50% dmg - inside Yrden radius
+25%dmg - 1st strong attack skill
+ dmg based on stamina and 50% defense reduction from Rend
+20% dmg - Bear School
finally + min. 20% dmg from lesser mutagens [dunno bonus from greater] further increased by 50% from Synergy.
+x% From potions consumed and extra one's from Side Effects
+x% from oils...
+x% from runes...

So tactics - defend, wait for window of opportunity, slice in half. :)

edit: probably Firestream since thx to Side Effects i could get some bonuses to signs and with puppet it would be wasted. Also bonus from mutagen synergy would play better with Igni. Oh, and once enemy is burning I could use this time to reposition to the side or behind him or just to bravely run away :) Yay! Cool game :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IkbCeZ9to

Last edited:

erxv

Forum veteran
probably gona go with the flamethrower version of igni and pretty much everything else in cool swordsmanship :)

I've always been fond of a mix between alchemy and swordfight. Only sign I use in normal mode was Aard but I became familiar with Yrden Quen and Igni on Dark mode in the Witcher 2.

For Witcher 3, I'll try to be as versatile as possible. After all, Geralt is a witcher, and as such, has mastered alchemy, swordplay and sign casting. So I guess i'll have to stick with the trinity to have the most faithful version of Geralt ;)

For TW2 I went mostly down the sign path, especially Quen. I went with swords on my second playthrough.

For TW3 I think I'll do the opposite but, seeing as though I'll be playing Death March, I'm wondering how many points I'll feel the need to spend in the utilities section for health and regeneration buffs. I always go for extra toughness and health when I'm playing games on harder difficulty settings.

I guess I could also try to resist and just 'play better' though. After all, you don't need extra health if you don't get hit.

---------- Updated at 01:35 PM ----------

Geralt is a witcher, and as such, has mastered alchemy, swordplay and sign casting. So I guess i'll have to stick with the trinity to have the most faithful version of Geralt ;)

Yes, this vision of Geralt always pulls at me during my skill point choices too. It would make me feel like my Geralt is a true professional but I always worry that he won't be powerful enough in any one specific thing so I never do it :(

Yes, this vision of Geralt always pulls at me during my skill point choices too. It would make me feel like my Geralt is a true professional but I always worry that he won't be powerful enough in any one specific thing so I never do it :(

In RPGs like Witcher or solo game, I tend not to care about "min-maxing" and character optimisation as long as the character fit the vision I have of it :)

And sometimes it's more useful to be medium skilled at everything than master in only one thing =D

Here's what i've came up with. If i find xbow shitty, i'll throw in 2 other abilities that i'll find more lore-friendly [why, oh why throwing knives are gone...]. :)

View attachment 13915

Attachments

• 4way.jpg
    4way.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 4way.jpg
    4way.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 67
Since I'm going for the permadeath mode on my first walkthrough, I will be doing some heavy investing into vitality and Quen first to survive battles.

However, I have just finished the Dark Mode on the TW2 and realized that going in strong with Aard and fast sword attacks is the best way to take out 2-3 foes before they all gang up on you. So Offense may be the best defense depending on the circumstance.

Top Bottom