Aard + weather OP !

+
Yep, they totally should nerf it -- we need to make sure that the only viable deck left will be ST control.

DarkH94;n7305470 said:
Yep, they totally should nerf it -- we need to make sure that the only viable deck left will be ST control.

Do you realize that ST control is one of the main builds that is using this combo right?

People know my position about nefs here on forums, but on this one i have to to concur that is a little bit strange. Its not just the general strength of the combo, but also because, as i already stated, doesnt make much sense if you compare with other cards interactions.

Also, i agree with whoever said that this combo drives the metagame too much siege centered.

Laveley;n7305500 said:
People know my position about nefs here on forums, but on this one i have to to concur that is a little bit strange. Its not just the general strength of the combo, but also because, as i already stated, doesnt make much sense if you compare with other cards interactions.

Well weather followed by lacerate has the same board clearing effect, the only difference of this one is that it works on weather resistant cards and doesn't work on siege row.

Gersen;n7308480 said:
Well weather followed by lacerate has the same board clearing effect, the only difference of this one is that it works on weather resistant cards and doesn't work on siege row.

Weather + Lacerate = P0. AARAD has Power 6 this is a big difference.

The weakness of this combo is that all Gold Cards from Scoia has low Value. So bring a Powerfull Gold Card like Gerald or and Scoia has big problems to win the round.

Gersen;n7308480 said:

Lacerate is only 1 row, while Aard is 2 rows combined. That's a lot stronger. Weather + Lacerate was an okay play. Weather + Aard is a still a little too strong, maybe.

Lacerate doesn't kill weather immune units with it and like said it only kills a row put in weather.
Gersen;n7304840 said:
Huge yes, but like a lot of other strong combo it's also situational you have to be able to place it, for it to be "huge" you need :

- To have Aard and at least a weather card in your hand.
- Have weather resistant card or no cards on the targeted row
- Once you play it have your opponent not clear it with clear sky or other cards
- Have your opponent be nice enough to group all his strong cards on a single row
- Hope that your opponent won't protect the strongest units with Quen or promote

And if all those are fulfilled then yes you can use the combo... but let's not forget that it can also be used against you, it makes using weather a potential double edge sword. Actually I wonder if it's not the devs answer to weather decks; if you play weather on all three lanes it means that your opponent can nuke your melee or range row if he has aard in his hand.

Unfortunately, I wish that was the case but it's not. Arrd's very existence makes any weather cast behind your main line awfully threatening. You don't know if the opponent has Aard or not in his deck, let alone in his hand.
From now on, when a monster deck player play woodland spirit, you'll have to wonder if Aard is not coming.

Aard's very existence threaten to insta lose the round at every weather left on the board for even one turn during the whole game. And that, even after Aard is actually played, it will still threaten the next rounds due to the possibility of Renew. As I said above, you have less clear weather than the opponent has weather cards.
Aard forces you to play your clear weather earlier and run out of it even if the opponent doesn't actually have aard. Either that, or you're accepting the risk of the opponent having it (and it's only epic and absolutely brutal, so yeah).

Well, we'll see. I except to see a lot of Aard at this rate. considering to take it too for removal, it's just too good to pass to win a round honestly.

4RM3D;n7308640 said:
Lacerate is only 1 row, while Aard is 2 rows combined. That's a lot stronger. Weather + Lacerate was an okay play. Weather + Aard is a still a little too strong, maybe.

It's not really "two rows" it kills only one row, the one on which Aard is played, the other one is just a "normal" weather impacted row.

Like I said during the "weather is OP" controversy some weeks ago, IMHO the issue is that there is way too many weather effect card in this game, that's what makes most weather based combo seem too powerful, if there was only Ragh Nar Roog, Areomancy, the three single row ones as silver, and a couple of units, things would be better.

Zefyris;n7308750 said:
Aard's very existence threaten to insta lose the round at every weather left on the board for even one turn during the whole game. And that, even after Aard is actually played, it will still threaten the next rounds due to the possibility of Renew. As I said above, you have less clear weather than the opponent has weather cards.
Aard forces you to play your clear weather earlier and run out of it even if the opponent doesn't actually have aard. Either that, or you're accepting the risk of the opponent having it (and it's only epic and absolutely brutal, so yeah).

Well in the same way that before if a monster deck is playing Caranthir your have to wonder if a lacerate is not coming next forcing you to remove weather as fast as possible.

Honestly what you describe is a worst case theoretical scenario that is very unlikely to happen very often , it's very situational and based on luck, it would mean that you opponent has a deck based around Aard and was lucky enough to get a hand with all the card he needs in his hand. Also Renew is a double edge sword, it's useless on round one and only useful on round two or three if you already played gold cards earlier, if you only receive another gold on round three then it's only dead weight that make you lose a gold slot.

I have Aard in my deck, and yes it is very powerful IF, and only if, you are able to use which,at least for me, doesn't happen very often, most of the time all that my Aard does is giving me 6 STR and remove 1 to a couple of units, either I don't have weather in my deck or my opponent removes it before I can play Aard.

Noxus91;n7303680 said:
Hey guys !

Just bought aard and tried a game to test it, it's look super op !

http://plays.tv/s/L4aWc_GvA_-X

I think the -1 should trigger before the pull and not after (to op with weather...) :eek:

What do you think about aard atm ?

HF !

First of all, it is a hard combo to pull off. Second you should see it coming if you are keeping tag on the card placements of your opponent.

Aard should hit for 1 str FIRST and then move the units back one row, just as it would be in theory as the sign hits first and then pushes back the enemy. If the person uses clear skies after wards then every unit should clear at -1 str from the aard. Otherwise it's just retarded

ManuW3;n7309640 said:
Aard should hit for 1 str FIRST and then move the units back one row, just as it would be in theory as the sign hits first and then pushes back the enemy.

In The Witcher 3, Aard can also makes your enemies fall down. Falling down hurts too, hence the 1 damage. XD But yeah, it is not so much retarded as it is overpowered.

Gersen;n7308480 said:

I dont think you quite understood what i said. I was referring to card interaction mechanics and lacerate doesnt have nothing to do with it. You could compare for example with other cards that do damage on weather, like savaga bear. Savage bear damage applies before weather.... why the f aard damage applies after seems odd to me.

Last edited:
How did I know there would be a thread about this? Aard+weather is not OP at all, its a new strategy in this game, that's all. It requires a certain Gold card and a weather card to set up. Its hardly OP. This combo can easily...and I say EASILY be countered by people with First Light. It requires people to have a First Light in their deck and maybe not always use Rally when you get the card. CDPR finally gives a option to counter the Insannes that was monster's untouchable melee row and people want a nerf? really?Aard+weather is NOT OP. Northen Realm's Henselt is what you may consider OP but aard and weather is nothing more than a good strategy against monster decks. Its hard to use this combo against NR because they tend to have Gold rows insanely fast, so its not OP at all people. Again this combo is easily countered with clear weathers. Can we please stop asking CDPR to nerf cards everytime people lose to a new strategy people discover? its going to end up harming this game a lot in the long run.

I don't disagree with you here, but I think it's a combo that doesn't have a lot of counters (3 cards per deck really). Once more cards are released, there will be better strategies.

I find it interesting you mention it as a counter to Monster play. The way I see it, Monster gets the most use out of the combo. They have more reason than anyone to even have weather cards in their deck. I would bet that the majority of non-Monster players didn't even bother taking Weather cards until they got their hands on Aard. It's a natural compliment to Monster who gets weather passively, and then has more reason to keep additional weather in the deck.

ManwichTuesday;n7313290 said:
I would bet that the majority of non-Monster players didn't even bother taking Weather cards until they got their hands on Aard.

Aeromancy is a very useful card for scoia'tael since many of their cards are mobile.

ManwichTuesday;n7313290 said:
I don't disagree with you here, but I think it's a combo that doesn't have a lot of counters (3 cards per deck really). Once more cards are released, there will be better strategies.

I find it interesting you mention it as a counter to Monster play. The way I see it, Monster gets the most use out of the combo. They have more reason than anyone to even have weather cards in their deck. I would bet that the majority of non-Monster players didn't even bother taking Weather cards until they got their hands on Aard. It's a natural compliment to Monster who gets weather passively, and then has more reason to keep additional weather in the deck.

That seems more than enough though doesn't it? If someone is doing aard+weather combo they have only one shot to do it. Ive seen people use all 3 first lights in their decks (they tend to always use Rally tho) but almost all decks have a few of these cards. All you need is one clear weather to screw up the aard+weather combo and users get 3 of them. IMO the complaints are from people who continue to use First Light's rally rather then save one towards the end incase of a aard+weather combo. The combo is risky honestly because of easy it can be countered. So as it is I don't think the card itself needs to be nerf but I do agree that later down the road cdpr should add more new cards for better strategies but as it CDPR shouldn't really nerf the card. Every patch is starting to be a nerf to some strategy someone on the this fourm doesn't like and CDPR should not handle it that way. I mean come on just by looking at the card CDPR knew what they were doing with this and this card is definitely a good counter to monster's "op" passive ability or even monster weather decks that love having the board be filled with weathers.

Top Bottom