Anyone else have Open World Fatigue?

+
Anyone else have Open World Fatigue?

Im tired of playing open world games with a character that has no personality. The reasoning of it is ofc that you are playing yourself which is why most of these characters are bland i would much prefer to play a character that had a preset personality cause then the dialogues would be far more engaging and real. Been playing Fallout 4 and my character basically has very little personality whatsoever. I wonder if we could remedy this by having characters with preset personalities.
Open world games for me personally are getting a bit boring. Been playing MGS5 and all u do is invade a basecamp (they all look the same) and do the same mission extract or kill something or someone. Fallout 4 is a bit better it was specially designed areas within the open world but most of the places u explore do not its basically go there and kill everything. Witcher 3 which i stopped playing after 3-4h (cause i didnt care about the character or the world) seemed to have a lot of specifially designed areas and a lot of open world combat of just going someplace and taking things out. Dunno i feel like the open world games have gotten repetive and to go back to linear scripted games is a better fit now. Although the best solution would be to have a mix of the two. Like the Arkham Games.

I have this "open world fatigue". I can't stand picking flowers, scraps and rocks on the ground anymore (that's called "exploration" I guess). In one year I did it with DA:I, TW3, MGS5, Fallout 4, the best "AAA" games of the year...
I agree, I prefer the Arkham formula, even the Assassin's Creed one if you get rid of the collectibles, or what GTA does. Even Dark Souls with its brilliant level design would be better than those "fully" open worlds. It makes beautiful vistas but gameplay-wise it does not always work.

Open world and "length", I might add. There's no point in making a 120 hours long game, especially when the gameplay isn't diversified enough or if you're stuck 40 hours out of these 120 with the same build.

You don't have to be "bigger" and "longer" to be good :)

Forum veteran
You know a lot of games aren't open-world, right? Most of them, I'd wager. Sure, you're bound to end up with one if you only pay attention to recent games with bazillion dollar advertising budgets, but that's kind of like going to a burger joint and complaining that they don't have caviar. If you want linear games, there are oodles of them out there, many of them even amazing hidden gems. You just have to look instead of relying on commercials and full-page ads and the gamer-herd hype that those things create.

Source: experience in hipsterish contrarianism, and a love of linear games

You don't have to be "bigger" and "longer" to be good :)
My spam folder would seem to disagree with you.

I guess I'm starting to kind of get an open world fatigue.
But I think it's because of all the damn filler content as you say, just repeating the same things over and overa gain, and how the game just keeps shoving shit in your face in spite of the urgency of the main story.

I still enjoy exploring an open world though, beautiful vistas, and then trecking down a valley to find something previously unseen under the trees.
And in relation to Night City I'm going to enjoy the city in pretty much the same way looking to see what's behind the next corner and discovering alleyways.
I just really hope that they are careful with filler crap, and that the story is low key/not epic so I don't have to feel both guilty and disconnected when I'm distracted by other things to do.

[h=2]Anyone else have Open World Fatigue?[/h]

I do, and have for a good while already. But for me it's more about the map than an "open" character.

Big openworld sandbox games have become increasingly choresome and boring recently. There is just too much pointlessness going on in hoofing empty distances over prop scenery with little of worthwhile to do over and over again. The schtick of trying to find or bumbing into something randomly interesting in a vast void has grown very old. It's overall rather boring and only artificially inflates the gamea length. Too much random wandering, too much emptiness, too much pointless filler content. This goes for all sorts of games of this ilk, Witcher 3, GTA, Bethesda games, and so on. That's why I've continuously tried to suggest that CDPR would use huyb rather than sandbox design for their map in CP, to make the world more detailed and interactive in areas that are allowed at one bite and cut down (or repurpose) some the dead gameplay from between.

No, no fatigue at all, actually.

But then again I'm only really familiar with open world (RPG) games that do the "open world" right, like the first 2 Gothics, the first couple Elder Scrolls, the original Fallouts, the Ultimas, or newer titles like TW3.

How much spare time and how much of your attention you're capable or willing to spend on the game plays an important role too I guess. Also the setting and the plot/narrative and how it's conveyed through the PC, the NPCs, locations, quests, and so on. And the type of player you are: A filthy casual who's just breezing through the main questline while ignoring everything else for bragging/having beat the game as fast as possible, an OCD nutjob who just has to do everything there is to do in the game, no matter what and how long it takes or someone in between both extremes, who invests more than the average player but less than the completionist.

Unlike Blizzard's development philosophy these days, I consider story just as important, if not a bit more important than gameplay. Open world games like the GTAs, the Just Causes, Saints Rows, Watch Dogs or more recently Fallout 4 for example I find to become rather dull really fast, mainly due to the fact that I don't find the settings nor the story and how it unfolds interesting enough to keep me hooked. They may do a couple other things like characterization, locations or gameplay mechanics really well but it don't mean a thing if it ain't got the things I'm personally looking for in a game or any game, be it open world or not.

I'm also in a position to have quite the amount of spare time to kill and I rather kill that time by immersing myself in one really good, well written and thought out open world game (including all the herb hunting and scavenging for crafting components), like TW3 for instance, than wasting it on shallow open world/sand box experiences in which the meat and potatoes is all about climbing towers, liberating camps, doing painfully bog standard fetch/kill quests, accumulating chaos points or chasing after collectibles for pointless achievements.

So - no, no fatigue at all in my case.
Give me proper non-linear 100+ hours open worlds over more linear/compact/focused and therefore shorter (pseudo-)open worlds/sand boxes any day of the week.
The longer and bigger, the better. And that's what I said.

Last edited:
I just put Fallout 4 on the back burner after 100+ hours.
I'm tired of kill-loot-kill-loot-kill-loot ...

And don't get me started on bullet sponges!
I feel less well armed with a customized plasma pistol and a gauss sniper rifle then I did with the 10mm in the vault at the start of the game.

Last edited:
I just put Fallout 4 on the back burner after 100+ hours.
I'm tired of kill-loot-kill-loot-kill-loot ...

And don't get me started on bullet sponges!
I feel less well armed with a customized plasma pistol and a gauss sniper rifle then I did with the 10mm in the vault at the start of the game.

Yeah no variety whatsoever, just kill this, kill that ect.

I mean thats okay if I played a soldier build, but when I tried to do some other builds (stealth charisma etc) it just wouldn't work.

Well this has been a year of open world games like no other before:GTA V(PC),The Witcher 3,Mad Max,Metal Gear Solid V,Arkham Knight,Fallout 4,Assassin's Creed:Syndicate,Just Cause 3....

You will obviously get fatigue if you only play those types of games. That's a no-brainer. Besides Witcher 3 I've been playing Xcom Enemy unknown, Starcraft II, Heroes of the Storm, Total War Attila, etc. So while I play open world games is a very lovely feeling to go and explore as you wish.

I don't think Open World is a problem, I think some mission design is. But then again, people lost their shit for SRIV because it's "an open world game which is not boring and oh-the-missions-are-so-crazy-and-original"... no. SRTT and SRIV are bad examples of open world games: a bland, somewhat big open world in which nothing happens in favor of one-off corridor sections in which they can hold your hand so that you see all the fun stuff in the right order, or QTE missions... and in IV an open world that you play in auto-pilot, kinda like a zombie, that's the kind of compelling that game is.

GTA (couldn't pick exactly which one, but I suppose in terms of world it would be SA and V which I haven't played) and SR2 to me is where it's at and... if Witcher 3 is like Witcher 1 but open world... that to me is almost like an open worldier Majora's Mask or Wind Waker and that's... just right for me. I'm one that says that not all games should be open world but... Cyberpunk 2077 has to. Just don't pad it with busywork. To me the real treat of open world is rewarding player interest and exploration, not only with unlockables, but with personal satisfaction from discovering something like an easter egg or a piece of worldbuilding. Also, making it feel alive and lending itself to that kind of gameplay that blends preparation and improvisation.

Yeah, this burned me out of fallout. Funnily enough, the witcher cured me of it. I need open world but set in an established world and you playing an established character. DA:I was meh and after playing witcher I realized that kind of world is what i needed. If cyberpunk is similar I eill be even more excited for this game.

If anyone has ever played the classic Ultima series they know that open world games can be done very very well. It just depends on if you are going for immersion or QTE/Combat as the main focus.

In the former, like Ultima, it can be done well, the open worlds serves as an interesting setting that you can explore with interesting characters and quests. In the latter it is more of a tag line (hey look it is an open world, they are popular, right?) stuffed with filler and endlessly spawning bad guys, as a result it is not done well at all and people get sick to death of it.

You will obviously get fatigue if you only play those types of games. That's a no-brainer. Besides Witcher 3 I've been playing Xcom Enemy unknown, Starcraft II, Heroes of the Storm, Total War Attila, etc. So while I play open world games is a very lovely feeling to go and explore as you wish.

Yeah, you need to mix it up a bit. Only playing open world games is not good idea. Excellent choice of games btw. XCOM 2 in February! Can't wait.

Only time I have "fatigue" in open world games is that time I collected too many junk to be able to run lol

Anyway seriously back to topic, reason why MGS 5 was so Goddamn repetitive is because Kojima got boot from KONAMI and then KONAMI cut half.....every game content from game that smelled like "Kojima".(Real ending was cut from game as well...so MGS 5 is bad example because of it).

Fallout 4 was "loading time thrill" for me =P
Loading, loading, loading, you get in elevator....loading, loading, loading, loading and entire game is just loadings and honestly I prefer game with less load time plz because I bought some game to actually play not get loading time everywhere!

While I wouldn't mind another Geralt like character(that has his own story), honestly I prefer my own damn character that I can relate to because that is what point of RPG game is in first play....to role play! And how am I to role play anything with already defined character in here? Defined character already has his/her story, love interest, morals and etc.......so as I said I don't see much RP elements in here. Only reason why we could work even with Geralt was because of his amnesia so we get to define him, but still as much as I love uncle Geralt he still had his own love interest, despite all "amnesia" thing he still had his own morals as Witcher, his own looks, gender....everything was defined about him already and as I said as much as I loved him I still gotta admit I couldn't relate to him much as I would do with some of my own complete custom character.

So reason why I like custom characters is because as you said I'm one deciding who they shall be or not and that is main point of every RPG game, to define your own story.
Open world, because exploring, plus open world = less loading times(that is not case in FO4 though lol). I mean why I don't mind linear games....honestly I prefer to get off map sometimes instead of being stopped by some invisible wall that says "Can't come here, please stay on right path, it is rule!" and rules are boring and I prefer not being bound by "only path" but take whichever the hell I wish. If I need to come to some quest mark I want choice will I use shortcut, long way or go straight instead of just being forced with straight path.

Customized character with last name like bioware is my favorite. The last name gives you some connection with the world, instead of "main character popping out of nowhere like every other rpgs.

Customized character with last name like bioware is my favorite. The last name gives you some connection with the world, instead of "main character popping out of nowhere like every other rpgs.

Only having a preset last name can decrease the customization and roleplaying possibilities a lot. I mean, it didn't bother me in Mass Effect having a character based off of me and other original characters of different races with an anglosaxon name that also sounds allegorical of Jesus Christ... but I want to be able to make a character that doesn't have to be half-American, half-Anglosaxon or whatever. If I want to make my character retain his or her hispanic, japanese, chinese, german, french, italian, senegalese... surname, I want to be able to. A lot of times Hollywood and related entertainment industries seem to believe that the world needs an American character even in every non-American setting so that people can relate to him... when what people may like is just the story of the migrant character. I may like Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai, but I may like as much the Serbian Niko Belic in GTAIV.

not all open world games are like fallout 4,it is a wrong example
you find open world games boring, ok, that's your opinion, it's ok, not everyone thinks they are borin, i don't, i like them
i still play tw3, i think it's awesome

in cp2077 the player will have the possibilty to customize the protagonist and to develop it throughout the story and game world, i'm sure cd projkt red will find the right way to create the game and there is no need to worry about a boring game nor dull game world

Top Bottom