Clans of Skellige

+
Synvael said:
Eist is dead, Crach is now the new king of Skellige, isn't he?
Well... in "Tower of Swallow", Crach is still a jarl, not the king. Hmm.

SMiki55 said:
Yeah, that puzzled me a bit. :p Maybe because Crach was the sister's son or it's simply a mistake?

Maybe only male descendants can be legall king?

In first of articles about TW3 in polish magazine "CD-Action", Hjalmar has been described as candidate for the Skelligan throne.

Maybe TW3 will be explain this?

My interpretation was that Skellige have some kind of elective monarchy where the next ruler is determined by some assembly.

If primogeniture was in place Crach wouldn't have been Bran's heir while Eist was still alive.

SMiki55 said:
Maybe only male descendants can be legall king?

In first of articles about TW3 in polish magazine "CD-Action", Hjalmar has been described as candidate for the Skelligan throne.

Maybe TW3 will be explain this?
I hope so. :)
Yes I was thinking about the male descendants, could be the only reason.

SMiki55 said:
My interpretation was that Skellige have some kind of elective monarchy where the next ruler is determined by some assembly.

If primogeniture was in place Crach wouldn't have been Bran's heir while Eist was still alive.
Got a bit confused here, why? Bran hadn't sons and Eist married Queen Calanthe after the "birthday party" of princess Pavetta. Even if primogeniture was in place there were no first-born, if I remember well Calanthe wanted Pavetta to marry a jarl so Cintra and Skellige could be allies.

Maybe I don't remember well... >_

Synvael said:
Got a bit confused here, why? Bran hadn't sons and Eist married Queen Calanthe after the "birthday party" of princess Pavetta. Even if primogeniture was in place there were no first-born, if I remember well Calanthe wanted Pavetta to marry a jarl so Cintra and Skellige could be allies.

Maybe I don't remember well... >_<

Who's the agnatic heir when you don't have sons? Your oldest brother. NOT the son of your sister.

JonStryker said:
Who's the agnatic heir when you don't have sons? Your oldest brother. NOT the son of your sister.
Yup. Now I get it, I was a bit confused. xD

slimgrin said:
I'm assuming Skellige will be like viking age Scandinavia, where chieftains waged constant war over land and were as willing to sell a fellow Norseman into slavery as they were a conquered slave. I don't expect it to be a pleasant setting for Geralt.

Total surprise to me, and I ought to know. ;) The horned helmets theme(which I don't recall from the books I've read) is said to be a myth and later artistic creation. And it seemed to have stuck I suppose. Oh well. :rolleyes:

What you said about conquering and selling thralls, well thralldom existed unfortunately, but decreased as Christianity spread. And yeah, it seemed to be a very a grim environment to live in, where bloodfeuds(blood revenge) could quite literally obliterate entire families. Either way, reading the name 'Crach an Craite' and saying it aloud has absolutely no Scandinavian in it. So I always assumed it was Scottish or possibly Irish. Maybe Welsh. Which is why I expected to see those cultural influences instead of Scandinavian. True, vikings raided and settled several coastal settlements in England, and language influences are broad, but still, seeing viking helmets opting for a viking setting baffled me. My guess was Scottish or Irish.

To OP, I had no idea of the different clans of Skellige. Sounds cool. :D

Real name of Skelligan sorceress Lytta Neyd was "Astrid Lyttneyd Ásgeirrfinnbjornsdottir". 100% Scandinavian. In Icelandic it means "Astrid (popular Icelandic name) Lyttneyd (propably surname), daughter of Ásgeirr (mother's name) and Finnbjorn (father's name)".

SMiki55 said:
in the debut trailer you can see a soldier from the crachs ... and the "town?" he is standing for looks like it is the most important of the skellige

BORCH3DOHLEN said:
in the debut trailer you can see a soldier from the crachs ... and the "town?" he is standing for looks like it is the most important of the skellige
Indeed. Crach is jarl of Skellige, most important person of Islands. His main estate, and propably capital city of Skellige is Kaer Trolde, large castle on Ard Skellig. But he isn't the king. Actually Islands haven't got a king.

SMiki55 said:
Real name of Skelligan sorceress Lytta Neyd was "Astrid Lyttneyd Ásgeirrfinnbjornsdottir". 100% Scandinavian. In Icelandic it means "Astrid (popular Icelandic name) Lyttneyd (propably surname), daughter of Ásgeirr (mother's name) and Finnbjorn (father's name)".

Not quite. Icelanders don't have a surname other than the patronymic. Lyttneyd would be the middle name. The patronymic never contains both parent's names. In this case it would mean Astrid, the daughter of Ásgeirrfinnbjorn. The weird thing is that Ásgeirrfinnbjorn are actually two names, Ásgeirr and Finnbjorn. Normally the patronymic is only made from one name, not several.

JonStryker said:
Not quite. Icelanders don't have a surname other than the patronymic. Lyttneyd would be the middle name. The patronymic never contains both parent's names. In this case it would mean Astrid, the daughter of Ásgeirrfinnbjorn. The weird thing is that Ásgeirrfinnbjorn are actually two names, Ásgeirr and Finnbjorn. Normally the patronymic is only made from one name, not several.
I'm not sure. From Polish TW Board:
(original post)
Hi!

A few pages earlier there was discussion about name "Astrid Lyttneyd Àsgeirrfinnbjornsdottir" and there was speculations about this is Icelandic. Since I live on this icebound island a few years, we are happy to utter.

Astrid is a name, it's popular here. Lyttneyd is word created by Andrzej Sapkowski, maybe some surname or second name.

"Àsgeirrfinnbjornsdottir" - Àsgeirr is mother's name, Finnbjorn is father's, "dottir" means "daughter".

At the translating helped me a friend who is native Icelandic and he has a tiny problem with that surname, but finally we succeeded and we have reached a conclusions that I described higher up.

SMiki55 said:

Iceland may be a 'cool' country(notice the my lame wordplay there? ;)) with cool people, but I have never thought of it as part of Scandinavia. In fact I don't believe it is.
Scandinavian countries are Norway, Sweden and Denmark. The Scandic mountains runs between Norway and Sweden. Scandinavian Airlines is a cooperation between these countries(Iceland has their own airline).

'Nordic' countries however include all five countries(Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Iceland) of northern Europe. Ergo this common misunderstanding.

The name Ásgeirrfinnbjornsdottir is very Icelandic-like indeed. :D

Didn't both the Norwegian and Danish crowns claim Iceland after the Sturlunga age of Snorri Sturlusson at points? Had to step in because of all the kinslaying and feuding etcetera I had heard, seems the Scandinavian's who founded the colony were a rambunctious lot.

Six clans!? Wow, wasn't aware that there were that many, yet alone that there even existed any steadfast societies in Skellige. This has a lot of potential, and I hope there are many "side activities" in the game that will allow for more deeper exploration into their political standings with each other and the world.

Really digging the concept art, especially the clans differences in clothing which can tell a lot about the clans. E.g. personally I find that the Craite's seem to be more brutish and "feral" with the use of red colored clothing and horned helmets (while still unpractical) to intimidate their adversaries. Heymayey seem to be more (potentially) a lot more pompous in their design, with more brighter and colorful clothing and less armor, which could be a sign of being more civilized in nature. The Dimun are perhaps more "simple" folk, with not a lot of armoring or even clothing on them, and are perhaps fishers (and farmers?) considering one of them carrying a rope and having a bone neckless.

Well this is simply my humble opinion, and could be a lot different than the way I depicted it, but what I wanted to point out was that it looks like CDPR will continue adding the same amount of detail they did in TW2 when it came to designs and depicting people / characters, and which is a feature I truly love.

SMiki55 said:
I'm not sure. From Polish TW Board:

Well I am. Wiki describes this pretty nicely: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name

Ásgeirrfinnbjornsdottir is not very Icelandic as patronymics are never constructed from multiple names. Either Ásgeirrsdottir or Finnbjornsdottir.

JonStryker said:
Well I am. Wiki describes this pretty nicely: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name

Ásgeirrfinnbjornsdottir is not very Icelandic as patronymics are never contructed from multiple names. Either Ásgeirrsdottir or Finnbjornsdottir.

Sounds right to me. By the by my Old Norse is pretty sketchy but as I remember Asgeir means weapon of the Aesir, while Finnbjorn means a Finnish bear, and we all know what Sson and Dottir mean.

Blothulfur said:
Didn't both the Norwegian and Danish crowns claim Iceland after the Sturlunga age of Snorri Sturlusson at points? Had to step in because of all the kinslaying and feuding etcetera I had heard, seems the Scandinavian's who founded the colony were a rambunctious lot.

Norway took over Iceland, under Haakon the Elder (Haakon IV) and his son Magnus the Law-mender (Magnus VI). Denmark was in turmoil in the decades following the death of Valdemar the Victorious (Valdemar II) and would not have been in any position to impose rule on the Icelanders. This was more than a century before the Kalmar Union.

Blothulfur said:

Don't know, I wasn't around back then. :rolleyes: But it's possible, why wouldn't they compete for land? All countries seem to have done this. And they been competing before, but more with Sweden than between themselves I think. Kinslaying, feuding and being a rambunctious lot seems to have be each and every country back in the day. England and USA is another example. I remember Stephen Fry calling the States the 'colonies' on one occasion. Ah, the lovely bickering and joking of old rivals. But my point being this, Scandinavia does not include Iceland no matter which country of Scandinavia tried to claim ownership of it or not.

Top Bottom