Patch Notes 11.7

+
5p blacksmith that has like no ceiling
Yeah, I see these play for 12 boost, it's more than some 7/8P cards. They're even fine with Devo archetypes, which is just bonkers when you compare it to Equinox.

Now, CDP will be "collating data" for 2 months before realising it needs nerf, again loosing another bunch of players in the process.

rrc

Forum veteran
But everyone knows ST can only be on par by mistake.
Not just that.. ST can have any kind of OP mechanism for only one month. The speed at which ST gets nerfed is unmatched. At least this is one speciality of ST. ST cards would get nerfed the fastest, even before the cards are released.

They saw all the cards that were going to be released and thought that the cards that nerfed were ST cards. Seriously, how much can they hate ST? Or care about it so much that it doesn't make any players hate ST?

Not just that.. ST can have any kind of OP mechanism for only one month. The speed at which ST gets nerfed is unmatched. At least this is one speciality of ST. ST cards would get nerfed the fastest, even before the cards are released.

They saw all the cards that were going to be released and thought that the cards that nerfed were ST cards. Seriously, how much can they hate ST? Or care about it so much that it doesn't make any players hate ST?
True. Even I, as a ST lover, am slowly drifting away to other factions, because this attitude you described is just unbearable. I still can't get over killing dwarfs, offensive movement, spella'tael, handbuff and bunch of other fun archetypes. One simply can't use them in competitive play above certain rank.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
This, for me, is still a preliminary impression — I have spent virtually all my playing time in ranked mode (to advance in the seasonal quests ) at rank far below where I belong in both skill and cards because I have no desire to play competitively.

But I finally have about a dozen or two games in unranked after the latest card drop. I must say that I think the game has gone from the best meta we’ve had in years to the absolute worst. Everything is now about massive removal while still generating points — which severely limits the playable decks; makes playing the game a boring matter of play a card, remove a card; and results in success almost totally dependent upon who draws best because cards that have flexible play order don’t generate enough points and removal, and tutors (except broken ones like AA) don’t allow inclusion of sufficient million point cards. None of the new decks I’ve found hold any strategic interest, and my fun old decks are unplayable because they cannot withstand having six to eight of the most important cards instantly removed.

Am I over reacting based on little play or has this card drop completely ruined the game for anyone else?

At least I still enjoy playing at rank 25 (where players generally don’t use the extremely OP recent cards) — I just have to accept occasional atrocious play and find ways to lose enough that I don’t climb to the ranks where the game is no longer fun.

Last edited:

It's honestly amazing to imagine the devs having their last big prerelease meeting where they are trying to make sure they got it all right, and there they are looking at and discussing ALL of these insane Tide cards, and the ones they decide to emergency nerf are Riordain and Hostage Taker, lmao.

"Whew. Good thing we caught those, guys!"

This, for me, is still a preliminary impression — I have spent virtually all my playing time in ranked mode (to advance in the sat a rank far below where I belong in both skill and cards because I have no desire to play competitively.

But I finally have about a dozen or two games in unranked after the latest card drop. I must say that I think the game has gone from the best meta we’ve had in years to the absolute worst. Everything is now about massive removal while still generating points — which severely limits the playable decks; makes playing the game a boring matter of play a card, remove a card; and results in success almost totally dependent upon who draws best because cards that have flexible play order don’t generate enough points and removal, and tutors (except broken ones like AA) don’t allow inclusion of sufficient million point cards. None of the new decks I’ve found hold any strategic interest, and my fun old decks are unplayable because they cannot withstand having six to eight of the most important cards instantly removed.

Am I over reacting based on little play or has this card drop completely ruined the game for anyone else?

At least I still enjoy playing at rank 25 (where players generally don’t use the extremely OP recent cards) — I just have to accept occasional atrocious play and find ways to lose enough that I don’t climb to the ranks where the game is no longer fun.

I just deleted the game (again) after I got to rank 12 for the first time after HC with a memedeck. The game just became so unbelievably boring, as soon as I knew the archetype I knew exactly what cards he would play. It's by now that I notice in what kind of heaven I was with my own rank 18 decks.

This, for me, is still a preliminary impression — I have spent virtually all my playing time in ranked mode (to advance in the seasonal quests ) at rank far below where I belong in both skill and cards because I have no desire to play competitively.

It's not only you...

I started this game in October 2021 and at this moment it was the best game i ever had on my mobile phone. I've spent a lot of my free hours to play it, had a lot of fun and quickly fell in love with it. Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost. But if I lost it was very often because my opponent just played his cards better, had some combination i didn't expect or outsmarted me otherwise. In very rare cases it was because of a stupidly OP combination. So losing was some kind of teaching - especially in the beginning - and still part of the fun.

And then they released hidden treasures and all was about OP Nekker-combinations, later Renfri and the new broken scenarios making all about OP Renfri-combinations, later reavers, sove, and so many more terribly broken and ridiculous cards that i can't mention all of them. Now this tide rises package, which is all about "play your golds several times/several golds in one turn and build up so many points you can easily slam a final 1xx point at your opponent".
There are so many broken answer or lose cards that - if you want to play competitively - control is the only viable option. Or you play the same broken cards and hope you have the more broken combination than your opponent or you just draw better...and this of course makes all decks that rely on synergies built up over some turns unplayable. Which is pretty sad, because these are the kind of decks which you can lose against but still smile and think "well done".

At the first view i am in the same situation as i was at the beginning of 2022. Switching between ranks 0-3, sometimes win, sometimes lose. But nowadays losing is in 99% of all cases just because I met about the 20th player in a row playing pirates with unlimited armor while killing all my units or enslave 6 with torres, or multiple vanadain+angus and later about 10 waylays with 6-point-elven deadeyes by simlas or another ridiculous deck where you know all your opponents moves from the first turn on and still lose because you don't have enough answers for opponents answer or lose cards. It's boring. It's frustrating. And it has very few in common with my first days, where the outcome of a match was in many cases dependent on how i played and not on what deck i played.

Beginning with the hidden-treasure-carddrop they consequently butchered the core elements of this game and made it a stupid pointslam fiesta.

I "quitted" the game for several times already because of this very sad progression. Somehow i always came back because of the sentimental memories from the beginning. But it's no fun anymore and i'm pretty sure there will be no "gwentfinity" for me.

It's not only you...

I started this game in October 2021 and at this moment it was the best game i ever had on my mobile phone.

The July 2023 season is the worst season ever in Gwent, and I share your pain.
It's beyond ridicolous, as I said in a previous message.
It's incredible that the devs not only repeated but even amplified the mistakes of the past...
We finally nerfed Drakenborg and Spring Equinox? Don't worry, we introduce 5-6 more broken combinations of cards! One of them making the Skellige Pirates basically invincible with a mechanic that is exactly the same as it was with Drakenborg and Spring Equinox!!! (boosting cards for the value of armor, so 15-16-17 points each turn, for 3-4 turns in a row if you have Teleportation).
People are playing Nilfgaard less? Don't worry, we introduce Nilfgaard flanking broken combinations, with 2 new cards that can summon 4 cards in 2 turns!!

And as a result, I am at rank 4 and the air is not breathable, too much toxic. I have never forfeitted so many games.
Every single game is against the same overpowered meta decks, you know already which cards they will play in which moment of the game, but you can't do anything. Poor me still here using one of my original decks (that no one else is using). I noticed I lost the pleasure of playing my original decks, even when I beat the opponent. This is a bad sign.

We came to a point when, apart from immediately forfeitting a good part of the games I play, I am strategically quitting games that i am winning to avoid progressing to the next rank. My target is to stay at this rank and then be relegated to lower ranks next seasons.
This way I hope to find a more breathable air at lower ranks. This if I will not decide to quit the game before.
Previous seasons I made the mistake to climb until rank 1 (I declined Pro rank) and I really regret it.

Yes Gwent is a nice game if you play 10-15 games, but when you progress and start to play hundreds of games, it becomes a toxic game that you don't want to play. It's a pity and it makes me angry. I really loved it.

Obviously I will not be here after December, I can't see myself playing this unplayable game in Gwentfinity. Why should I ?

Obviously I will not be here after December, I can't see myself playing this unplayable game in Gwentfinity. Why should I ?
The worst part of Gwentfinity is loosing pro scene and esports. Otherwise, I see this as a chance for community to improve the game as a whole.

Whether it's already too far into power creep or community system fails, we'll see.

I know I said it already, but it's really a shame CDP did not work with the community to balance new cards and just kept them obviously overpowered for couple of months, turning players away. Gwent is such an amazing project, it lacked love it truly deserved.

The worst part of Gwentfinity is loosing pro scene and esports. Otherwise, I see this as a chance for community to improve the game as a whole.

Whether it's already too far into power creep or community system fails, we'll see.

I know I said it already, but it's really a shame CDP did not work with the community to balance new cards and just kept them obviously overpowered for couple of months, turning players away. Gwent is such an amazing project, it lacked love it truly deserved.
I agree that Gwent is a great game and the loss of e-sports support is huge.

Unfortunately, I don’t think “balancing” is the big issue (at least not if you view “balance” as parity between top archetypes). The big problem with Gwent is binary play where player decisions during the game play a minor role in its outcome (i.e. virtually every match depends upon which opposing deck was drawn and which cards are drawn in which order). And this is a consequence of card design, not power and provision cost. As such, it will not be impactable by community support. I sincerely hope developers begin to focus on this issue before it is too late.

Top Bottom