Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
Ahoy mateys, Previously I installed everything successfully by setting the compatibility mode to windows 95 on all TWEE exectuables. That includes the upgrade,the language pack, the adventures. 4 files in all. I also installed .NET up to 3.0 SP1. I wasn't able to install it via RandomOfAmber's way. I removed .NET 3.0 and tried to install. Then I installed .NET 3.0 and then tried to install. Both waysdid not work till I went back my original route, which is posted earlier, and set windows 95 compatibility to all of the TWEE executables. My guess is a resource problem, which is posted earlier in this thread. Something is making the process stop because of a lack of resources and then enteran infinite loop. I've been successful twice at my way of doing it with XP X64 Pro SP2. I suggest everyone else try it that way. I'm convinced it isn't a .NET issue but a resourceissue and right now it is only able to be circumvented via compatibility settings for the binaries.-William

Ok, I was up at 5 AM on the 19th, trying to download this thing. I succeeded. I tried installing, i got this error...SetupNew\setup.cpp (135)PAPP:pGUID$@Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (6001) IE 7.0.6001.18000I noticed several other people had received the same error. Ive tried every fix ive been able to find, including writing the Hairy Bear dude (no response yet...2 days. Still hoping.) Ive tried to download it from several different sites, including and last, the official site. Ive tried running the patch with every available compatability (Win 95, 98, etc.) Ive tried using a file extractor that was listed on this site. Ive used several different download accelerators (DAP, Leachget, etc) Ive tried running a clean install of the original Witcher game. Ive tried turning off AND uninstalling my virus software and firewall. Ive tried opening the other files, the language and xtra quests and both worked fine. Ive used chckfile and all files are the correct size. Im lost here people. Can ANYONE give me some help? I was hoping that I would see a forum dedicated to fixing the Witcher patch from the dev's due to the vast amount of people having issues, but since its now the 23rd and no such forum has popped up, ive given up on that hope. Any info would be extremely appreciated, or if Ive missed a fix that I havent listed, if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.I actually fixed this right after i posted. See my PAPP:pGUID fix post for details.

I tried this win 95 compatability mode option, but I still run into a problem. When it comes time to log in for the registration check, it says cannot install .NET 3.0 or something to that effect. So basically I can't get to where I was using the win 95 option. Did you run into this problem, and if so how did you fix it?

SetupNew\setup.cpp (135)PAPP:pGUID$@Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (6001) IE 7.0.6001.18000That was the error i was receiving when trying to patch the game. I saw that several people were having the same issue. I figured out how to fix it tonight. It is some sort of driver or possibly a antivirus compatibility issue, though when i tried uninstalling my virus software I still received the same error. So heres how I fixed it; Reboot in safe mode with networking (Restart + F8) Your going to need internet access so pure safe mode alone wont work. Install the EEpatch. Thats it. I feel pretty stupid I didnt figure this out earlier but hey, sometimes the most difficult solutions are the most obvious ones. Plus I kept looking online for a fix instead of trying to fix it myself. Ive never seen an error like that before in my life so it was a complete mystery to me at first. One thing, while your patching it may look like the patch isnt working. It is. I noticed when i ran my task manager it said "Witcher Patch; Not responding" but it was indeed responding. It didnt take more than 20 mins either, though It said up to two hours. Anyhow, Ive only played a few minutes. I wanted to post this in case any of you were still having a problem with that bug. They finally made it so that Eskel is the one who blows the stones away in the beginning. Leo did it before, but then claimed he couldnt do it later due to a sprained wrist. Seems like continuity became a priority in this patch. Bravo.

sasnipes said:
I tried this win 95 compatability mode option, but I still run into a problem. When it comes time to log in for the registration check, it says cannot install .NET 3.0 or something to that effect. So basically I can't get to where I was using the win 95 option. Did you run into this problem, and if so how did you fix it?
if you do not have .NET 3.0 installed, please install it, see the first post of this thread

Lyras said:
Problem every time I want to instal the patch, it will check mei registration...but everytime i got the massig that I must registrat the game.If I look in my Profil it say that i have done that. So what must I do that I can play the Enhanced Edition Version?sorry for my english I am not very good at it. but I hope you understand.*grins*cu lyraz
Lyras said:
I have the same problem. No aksing for Passwords or so, only a message, that the game has to be registered. But it already is...Pls help!!!
Lyras said:
Yup, same problem here. Get to the point where it says it is gonna check my registration, and hit the button to continue. Not even a pause just pops up not registered. The only option i have is to hit finish and exit the installer

lepermessiah said:
I am getting:CRC error: patch 14.exe does not match the file in the setups cab file. What do I do? Is ot a corrupted dowload? What a hassle this has been.
read the first post: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0 and check your files first

Berzerkula said:
Hello RandomOfAmber, I'm going to try your method and just install up to .NET 3.0 and not SP1. Can you try my method by way of setting all compatibility to windows 95 then running the install. I'll report back after I've tried your way. By the way, I installed all of the updates at once. Time to save my game and give it a shot.-William
Hi William -- before I tried uninstalling .Net Framework 3.0 SP1, I had tried the Win 95 Compatibility Mode trick, but unfortunately every time I ran the installer I was getting the same error message as sasnipes, namely:
Berzerkula said:
I tried this win 95 compatability mode option, but I still run into a problem. When it comes time to log in for the registration check, it says cannot install .NET 3.0 or something to that effect.
So I was receiving an error, "Cannot install Microsoft .Net Framework", and then the installer was crashing out.I suspect it may have had something to do with the WAY I installed the .Net Framework 3.0 update the first time around: first time, I used the automatic WindowsUpdate to upgrade the .Net Framework. This last time around, I uninstalled 3.0 SP1 and 3.0, and then used the full 3.0 Redistributable package direct from Microsoft Downloads. I don't know that it actually does anything differently, but heck: it worked! (Incidentally, if you use the Universal Extractor trick on the TWEE_Upgrade.exe file and go inside the folder it unpacks, you might note that the .Net Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package is actually the exact method INCLUDED with the TWEE_Upgrade. It is this very same file which the installer itself will try to run if you don't already have 3.0 installed.)So ultimately I'm not sure if it was the .Net Framework, or the not letting the upgrader install the extra adventures, which did the trick for me. But one of the two certainly helped!
Berzerkula said:
RandomOfAmber: you rock.i dont think the net thing was it. all i did was get rid of the missions, put the patch files to compatability mode and ran it. took like 5 minutes to apply all of it. installed the extra mission separately. :D now lets see if it runs.cheers!!
Well Ambient-Whisper, I'm just glad SOMETHING worked for you! As I said: the Win95 Compatibility Mode thing didn't work for me because of the .Net Framework issue, so who knows?!In any event, I hope the information I've provided continues to be of use to someone who's having trouble! All the best,RoA

If your system meets the requirements, and has been properly maintained (good anti-malware practices and regular defragging in particular), this step shouldn't require more than about an hour.

Hi guys!For those of you still having the "SetupNew/setup.cpp (138)", here's my story and a possible solution.I downloaded the TWEE_Upgrade.exe file at least 7 times, from here, from gamershell, from a torrent tracker site...I always got the same damn error when launching TWEE_Upgrade.exe: >SetupNew/setup.cpp (138) etc etc.MD5 and sizes were right all the time though, so I really didn't know what to do.I tried then to manually unpack the file from shell prompt using "TWEE_Upgrade.exe /extract_all:", but all I got every time was a "Disk1" directory with a 0 byte file called "MZ" (if I remember correctly). and nothing more.And this happened on TWO different computers.I was at a loss, but then I realized that on both computers I had Vista SP1. I reached for another PC with XP SP2 and I tried again the manual unpacking. This time everything went fine and the "Disk1" directory was correctly populated with files form the package.I then transferred back the "Disk1" dir on the Vista PCs, put the language packs and additional adventures inside "Disk1" and launched setup.exe from "Disk1". GOT IT! The patching started and everything was done in less than an hour!Finally I got my Enhanced Edition running!!So it seems to me that Windows Installer (Installshield) in Vista has some problems unpacking the TWEE_Upgrade.exe self extracting package. I had NO problem at all in manually unpacking (or auto-unpacking for what matters) the language packs (italian and English) and the two additional adventures, so the problem seems related to only TWEE_Upgrade.exe.I still don't know what causes InstallShield in Vista to fail the unpacking, though.If you are experiencing this problem on Vista and have some way to get to an XP computer, try to manually unpack the Upgrade file from there and take then back the Disk1 direcotry and all its contents to your Vista machine.I hope this one can help somebody.The game is great! Thanks CD Projekt!!

damn i'm really angry.I registered the game. Entered the serial and got a confirmation email.Whenever i try to install the EE patch it says "you need to register the game" :-[I'm running vista64. I even uninstalled Kaspersky internet secuirty and disabled my firewall.the registration process seriously sucks.edit: I figured it out. See the thread for registration problems :)

Got SetupNew/setup.cpp (138) forWinXP professional, SP3.NET Framework 1.1, 2.0SP1 and 3.0 installed. MD5-Checksum - okCan't unpack manually, when I start TWEE_Upgrade.exe /extract_all: - nothing happens.I try to stop Kaspersky Internet Security - that does nothing. And I definitely not going to uninstall it for patch 1.4P.S. I upgrade Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 to KiS 2009, and patch start fine!or... it just was first reboot after intallation of NET Framework 3.0.... But ti works!

RandomOfAmber said:
RandomOfAmber said:
Hello RandomOfAmber, I'm going to try your method and just install up to .NET 3.0 and not SP1. Can you try my method by way of setting all compatibility to windows 95 then running the install. I'll report back after I've tried your way. By the way, I installed all of the updates at once. Time to save my game and give it a shot.-William
Hi William -- before I tried uninstalling .Net Framework 3.0 SP1, I had tried the Win 95 Compatibility Mode trick, but unfortunately every time I ran the installer I was getting the same error message as sasnipes, namely:
RandomOfAmber said:
I tried this win 95 compatability mode option, but I still run into a problem. When it comes time to log in for the registration check, it says cannot install .NET 3.0 or something to that effect.
So I was receiving an error, "Cannot install Microsoft .Net Framework", and then the installer was crashing out.I suspect it may have had something to do with the WAY I installed the .Net Framework 3.0 update the first time around: first time, I used the automatic WindowsUpdate to upgrade the .Net Framework. This last time around, I uninstalled 3.0 SP1 and 3.0, and then used the full 3.0 Redistributable package direct from Microsoft Downloads. I don't know that it actually does anything differently, but heck: it worked! (Incidentally, if you use the Universal Extractor trick on the TWEE_Upgrade.exe file and go inside the folder it unpacks, you might note that the .Net Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package is actually the exact method INCLUDED with the TWEE_Upgrade. It is this very same file which the installer itself will try to run if you don't already have 3.0 installed.)So ultimately I'm not sure if it was the .Net Framework, or the not letting the upgrader install the extra adventures, which did the trick for me. But one of the two certainly helped!
RandomOfAmber said:
RandomOfAmber: you rock.i dont think the net thing was it. all i did was get rid of the missions, put the patch files to compatability mode and ran it. took like 5 minutes to apply all of it. installed the extra mission separately. :D now lets see if it runs.cheers!!
Well Ambient-Whisper, I'm just glad SOMETHING worked for you! As I said: the Win95 Compatibility Mode thing didn't work for me because of the .Net Framework issue, so who knows?!In any event, I hope the information I've provided continues to be of use to someone who's having trouble! All the best,RoA
RandomOfAmber, I have the 2.0 version installed, with windows xp 64. What should I do? I don't know if the 3.0 version would work with 64bit.. or mess anything up.

Hi...!I have this Problem:When i start the TWEE-Patch, after online-activation, there is following error:patchSecurity.exe - Application ErrorApplication has generated an exception that could not bee handled.Process ID=0x48c (1164), Thread ID=0xa48 (2632)(this process and thread always change with every try)edit: maybe it has something to do with the jit-debugger?edit2: tried to install the game new and downloaded the new driver... no sucessi can't install the patch... what should i dohope someone can help me

When I want to install the witcher Enhanced Edition edition I get the following error:'CRC ErrorCRC error: the file D:\Program Files\The Witcher\Data\patch14.exe doesn’t match the file in the setup’s .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor."How can I solve this?

Top Bottom