Facebook buying Oculus VR

+

Forum veteran
Now I can ignore my friends and replace meaningful social interaction with the like button in 3D virtual reality!

Statements like

"We believe virtual reality will be heavily defined by social experiences that connect people in magical, new ways. It is a transformative and disruptive technology, that enables the world to experience the impossible..."

sound like a shortsighted waste of technology and a whole lot of money.

Virtual reality as a way of interacting with things we can't see and places we can't go, for robotic surgery or exploring hostile environments, for military training or educating the disabled, that's technology with social payoff.

But all this announcement says is Mark Zuckerberg has too much money.

Hence why I don't have a Facebook account, they have too much control over things and can't be trusted.

Money money money profit profit profit. OR looks like low risk investment. How much did they bought it for?

edit: $2 billion.

According to Eurogamer, it was something like $2 Billion. So basically crazy money!

Not really if you think about it they will make double that money in next few years. Everyone will want one, they will sell at least 2 million units and then OR 2 and OR 3. with price tag 400-499 for final product. They could release new model every year just like iPhone for e.g

It's a lot of money for a little indie startup. If it goes right they now have access to amazing funds and can create what they want.

If SONY headset wont support PC/Linux its "shut up and give me money" market for facebook. No competition. Its like iPhone had good few years until Samsung and Sony started catching up for past 2 years. But Apple made sh*t loads of money and still is. They know what they are doing thier researchers did thier homework and calculated profit margin for first few years.

Is there not some kind of backer discrepancy and then this? It seems like there would be some issue that a company gets bought that was basically created by pledges and then sells out for a huge profit.

This has taught me to never, ever back anything now.

I feel bad for everyone that backed it.

Aver

Forum veteran
It gets funny when you realize that John Carmack works for Facebook now.

Or sad.

Is there not some kind of backer discrepancy and then this? It seems like there would be some issue that a company gets bought that was basically created by pledges and then sells out for a huge profit.

Facebook bought it just for future profits. they confirmed staff wont change and they wont effect the development of the product in any major way ..Just the price and PR I suppose.

Facebook bought it just for future profits. they confirmed staff wont change and they wont effect the development of the product in any major way ..Just the price and PR I suppose.

Well.. I still wouldn't trust Facebook's plans and ideas.

Based on my quick skim of the news articles this morning, they already fulfilled their pledges, so there's no legal impact. That won't stop the donors from being pissed off, of course.

Top Bottom