HD Textures - we surely need a mod with them!

+
Hey guys and gals, so I've uncooked the game and want to import some textures into Blender, but cannot figure out how to do it for the life of me. What program are you guys using to play around with textures? I've never tried modding before, but I have been using Blender for about 6 months so I wanted to try it.

Next comparision. Normal maps updated.

Attachments

• TheWitcher3_SACK_Original01.jpg
    TheWitcher3_SACK_Original01.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 32
  • TheWitcher3_SACK_HDReworked01.jpg
    TheWitcher3_SACK_HDReworked01.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 30
Yeah I think we desperately need an high res texture overhaul. W3 is strange to me in that the textures are very hit and miss. Some things are really high res (like face and skin), while some other things are really low res.

Does anyone know if these dds textures of vegetation are actually loaded in the game? Because yesterday I decided to take a look at them with a dds viewer and I found out that they look really gorgeous while the same ingame ones suck. Anyone knows why ?

Does anyone know if these dds textures of vegetation are actually loaded in the game? Because yesterday I decided to take a look at them with a dds viewer and I found out that they look really gorgeous while the same ingame ones suck. Anyone knows why ?
Yeah I found this too. I Changed the colour of the grass in a few of the .DDS files, but when I loaded the game up, non of the changes were applied...

Impressive work weel done! So will we have to wait long before we'll be able to use those fantastic hd textures in the game?? :)

You might be onto something then, it's possible that CDPR stashed away the 2013/SoD grass textures like Ubisoft did with Watch_Dogs' shaders and advanced physics. I don't think that's the case though, because for example in the E3 downwarren demo (a year ago!) you can see that the grass textures are exactly the same, just better lit. They had a whole year, wouldn't have stashed them quickly but rather deleted them, imho.

Hello! :)

New Red Brick textures (WIP), currently without specular.

Like it? :)

Attachments

• TheWitcher3_RED_BRICK_TEX_Original01.jpg
    TheWitcher3_RED_BRICK_TEX_Original01.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 103
  • TheWitcher3_RED_BRICK_TEX_HDReworked02.jpg
    TheWitcher3_RED_BRICK_TEX_HDReworked02.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 134
  • TheWitcher3_RED_BRICK_TEX_HDReworked01.jpg
    TheWitcher3_RED_BRICK_TEX_HDReworked01.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 154
  • TheWitcher3_RED_BRICK_TEX_Original02.jpg
    TheWitcher3_RED_BRICK_TEX_Original02.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Hello! :)

New Red Brick textures (WIP), currently without specular.

Like it? :)
This looks good, like really good! The bricks look like they have actual depth. It would be great if you could do the same type of thing with cobbled roads, or stone walls. Doing textures like this are really good, Becuase they're used a lot thought the game so for the work you'd do making new textures it would have a great effect, as opposed to replace textures of sacks (which look good, but it's like a lot of work for a very little payout)

Great as always

Hello again! :)

Thanks a lot for all comments, REDpoints etc., it motives me to more hard work!

Early version of this modification will be release soon on nexusmods.com

It looks rly bumpy...are these normalmaps?
Yes, normal maps :)

And next work:
Completely reworked normal/specular maps and increased it resoution from 512x512 to 1024x1024. (still in WIP)

Looks better? :)
Regards

Attachments

• TheWitcher3_Checkered_Floor_TEX_Original02.jpg
    TheWitcher3_Checkered_Floor_TEX_Original02.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 26
  • TheWitcher3_Checkered_Floor_TEX_Original01.jpg
    TheWitcher3_Checkered_Floor_TEX_Original01.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 22
  • TheWitcher3_Checkered_Floor_TEX_HDReworked02.jpg
    TheWitcher3_Checkered_Floor_TEX_HDReworked02.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 103
  • TheWitcher3_Checkered_Floor_TEX_HDReworked01.jpg
    TheWitcher3_Checkered_Floor_TEX_HDReworked01.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I think for larger things, 2k resolution is better. Small things like sacks, 1k is good.

I'm saying this coming from a heavily modded skyrim background so perhaps its different in Witcher 3.

Top Bottom