How would NPCs react to monsters in the Witcher 3?

+
How would NPCs react to monsters in the Witcher 3?

One of the things that I loved about the witcher 2; In Flotsam they had border guards just on the outskirts of town. I remember getting into a scoff with too many nekkers and running back to the border, and watching the guards engage the enemies. I always thought that was a very immersive touch to the game.

I wonder if that will happen in the witcher 3? Will there ever be dynamic events where you see a group of bandits in a forest, perhaps running into the creature you were trying to track down? Or would monsters follow you around long enough for you to "kite" them into town. Would the guards react?

Its the little things that CDPR have been so great at doing. (Npcs taking shelter from rain) I hope they haven't forgotten!

Very basic NPC behavior imo. And The Witcher 1 had it too. Remember? The peasant guards outside the village in the outskirts who attacked any nearby barghests.

We barely saw that in The Witcher 2, but we did see it in The Witcher 1 - merchants and peasants reacted in panic when they saw barghests during the night and if I remember right, they always tried to run away.

Though, I really don't think something like that should happen in a city with walls, militia, and barracks.

I'm guessing the guards would react. But what I would like to see is, if the monsters do get into a small town, I would like to see the villagers hide inside their houses.

PsyCoil said:
We barely saw that in The Witcher 2, but we did see it in The Witcher 1 - merchants and peasants reacted in panic when they saw barghests during the night and if I remember right, they always tried to run away.

Though, I really don't think something like that should happen in a city with walls, militia, and barracks.

Unless you have a kikimore infestation. :)

linkman214 said:
would monsters follow you around long enough for you to "kite" them into town. Would the guards react?

I suppose that would cause town guards to lock down the city gate for a while !
who knows, maybe that gate is going to be closed for more than a day, until they feel it's safe again.

Csszr said:
Unless you have a kikimore infestation. :)/>/>

Pesty Buggers they are. Gotta get some serious Witcher Spray and Walk away for that kinda infestation,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlWYEX5ALio

I don't see why they wouldn't just grab their pitchforks and fight back. A dead villager is the only good villager.

I'm sure TW3 will be similar to TW2 in this matter. However, leading monsters and bandits into towns and letting them wreak havoc just for fun? Well, that rises a couple of questions.
Would an example of burnt village alert the neighbouring region?
Will the army intervene at some point?
What if they kill someone important, rendering quests impossible to finish (I've seen something like this in other games)?
What about the main quest line?
Should there be immortal characters and impenetrable fortresses?
Could Geralt really become a villain?
(Oops, I think I'm getting off-topic. Sorry. :))

But ciriously. NPCs were always important in The Witcher series in terms of creating the perfect atmosphere. It may be a real challenge to build a believable society in an open world game, but I don't expect any less from CDPR than they delivered before.

They should just scream and run away.

Some heores can try to fight, jump around that beast in front of my sword ..and sometimes .. sh!t happens ;) ..

The devs have said that there will be instances of you (Geralt) accepting a contract and if it isn`t completed in a timely manner if it all then indeed monsters can destroy an entire village . So it really doesn`t matter if they stand and fight or run away .

I would say it should depend on NPC type. The soldiers and guards should fight and die if necessary. It is fine if some of them flee seeing deaths of their comrades, but it shouldn't be when there are still a lot of them. Peasant men may try to fight with whatever they have, depending on the monster, but definitely not large ones. Women, children, old people should just flee and hide.

In general I want to see complicated NPC daily routines - people going to work/market/forest/fields in the morning, to taverns, brothels, or whatever places they choose for relaxation, and returning home. People going to temples to pray, doing a lot of different work-related tasks, children playing. The closer it estimates the real life in a medieval city the better.

vivaxardas said:
I would say it should depend on NPC type. The soldiers and guards should fight and die if necessary. It is fine if some of them flee seeing deaths of their comrades, but it shouldn't be when there are still a lot of them. Peasant men may try to fight with whatever they have, depending on the monster, but definitely not large ones. Women, children, old people should just flee and hide.

In general I want to see complicated NPC daily routines - people going to work/market/forest/fields in the morning, to taverns, brothels, or whatever places they choose for relaxation, and returning home. People going to temples to pray, doing a lot of different work-related tasks, children playing. The closer it estimates the real life in a medieval city the better.

I think Witcher 2 came real close in that regard even more so after they added the barnyard animals . I can still hear some of the children following Geralt "Can girls become witcher`s too ?" or "Why 2 swords , does he tend to lose them ?" . But I digress and strayed off topic a little .

Top Bottom