Is it just me, or is Yen... [Spoilers}

+
*googles "Xanatos Gambit"*

Sorry. An Xanatos Gambit is basically a plot where all of the outcomes benefit the plotter even if some of them seem to benefit the victim. In truth, even in the alternative outcomes, they still serve the plotter.

e.g. Philippa's conversation with Geralt in that she knows if he chooses Triss, Yen may be heartbroken and flee (which it seems she does), if he chooses Yen, she flees with Geralt to be on their own. She sows some discord with her snarky comments in the ruin, but she knows what she is doing and also knows that most of the outcomes still benefit her. Even if Yen stayed, Philippa basically threatened to have her discredited and imprisoned and given Yen's compromised state, she could pull it off (as she wouldn't really have any allies and Geralt couldn't really help in any shape or form even if he wanted to, as he hates scheming and plots and all that jazz). The only real variable in such a scenario is if the Emhyr basically sees Philippa's attempt at manipulation and just throws her in jail himself irrespective of Yen, which he very well might. Of course, this all assumes that Nilfgaard wins the war.

Sorry. An Xanatos Gambit is basically a plot where all of the outcomes benefit the plotter even if some of them seem to benefit the victim. In truth, even in the alternative outcomes, they still serve the plotter.

e.g. Philippa's conversation with Geralt in that she knows if he chooses Triss, Yen may be heartbroken and flee (which it seems she does), if he chooses Yen, she flees with Geralt to be on their own. She sows some discord with her snarky comments in the ruin, but she knows what she is doing and also knows that most of the outcomes still benefit her. Even if Yen stayed, Philippa basically threatened to have her discredited and imprisoned and given Yen's compromised state, she could pull it off (as she wouldn't really have any allies and Geralt couldn't really help in any shape or form even if he wanted to, as he hates scheming and plots and all that jazz). The only real variable in such a scenario is if the Emhyr basically sees Philippa's attempt at manipulation and just throws her in jail himself irrespective of Yen, which he very well might. Of course, this all assumes that Nilfgaard wins the war.

Ah, I see. Hm, still not sure I like that. I still don't see Geralt not telling Yen what Philippa is up to. And as to your last sentence, you say it like I am ever not going to kill Radovid :p

Ah, I see. Hm, still not sure I like that. I still don't see Geralt not telling Yen what Philippa is up to. And as to your last sentence, you say it like I am ever not going to kill Radovid :p

I agree. Philippa is scum. Somewhat likable scum in the sense that she's a really interesting character that I have a love/hate relationship with. Her incessant scheming fascinates me.

As far as Radovid...hey, you never know. I can't ever imagine a scenario where I wouldn't kill him, but to each his own.

See, I like Philippa too, something about her just appeals to me. I still don't like Yen, though the ongoing conversation in this thread has made me like her more than I did previously, and now I kinda see Triss in a new light as well.

Getting nearer to the point where I actually need to make a choice between Yen and Triss, and now I am actually not sure which to choose.

Phillippa is more likeable than Yen because she's self-aware and knows that she's scum. Too bad she wasn't a romance option.

Phillippa is more likeable than Yen because she's self-aware and knows that she's scum. Too bad she wasn't a romance option.

I can't really compare the two personally, but..hey, I've already written about 9000 characters on Yen today (according to an 'achievement' I received), so I guess we can just agree to disagree! :thumbup:

Last edited:
You sure about that? Last time I checked Yen was happily in love with Geralt and enjoying her life together with him and their daughter Ciri. ;)

PS: I really thought the Triss+Geralt ending was completely out of character for Geralt. He would never leave his friends and Ciri to live in a land far away just because his ambitious girlfriend wanted him to. I really don't like the Triss+Geralt ending and if there is ever gonna be a canon ending, that one isn't gonna be it.

Weird, because I think the Kovir ending is awesome for Geralt's relationship with his friends. In Kovir, Geralt ACTUALLY HAS A HOME so now Ciri can drop by to visit rather than just hope he's at Caer Morhen sometime or meet on the road.

---------- Updated at 12:53 AM ----------

Yep, classic case of the Xanatos Gambit if I've ever seen one.

More like another sign Phillipa has a lot of dumb luck. For a supposed master manipulator, she is TERRIBLE at reading people.

Yennefer doesn't CARE about advising royalty, unlike Triss, and leaves because she doesn't want to serve Nilfgaard.

Phillipa is threatening Yennefer to get a job Yennefer hates. It's hilarious.

I also see Phillipa as crucified or whatever they do in Nilfgaard within the month by Emryhs.

So him getting assassinated is probably best for her as Voorhis doesn't seem too bright.

More like another sign Phillipa has a lot of dumb luck. For a supposed master manipulator, she is TERRIBLE at reading people.

Yennefer doesn't CARE about advising royalty, unlike Triss, and leaves because she doesn't want to serve Nilfgaard.

Phillipa is threatening Yennefer to get a job Yennefer hates. It's hilarious.

I also see Phillipa as crucified or whatever they do in Nilfgaard within the month by Emryhs.

So him getting assassinated is probably best for her as Voorhis doesn't seem too bright.

She reminds me of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget in her attempt to think that everyone is just to compete with her all the time. She bungles something though inevitably succeeds...I love it.

She reminds me of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget in her attempt to think that everyone is just to compete with her all the time. She bungles something though inevitably succeeds...I love it.

It's awesome because it's true. It's also canonical because "The Witcher 2" is all about how every one of Phillipa's plans blows up spectacularly in her face.

1. Assassinate Radovid's dad (Radovid takes this...poorly)
2. Create Saskia's kingdom with her as a slave (Doesn't work out either way)
3. Have Sabrina sabotage the efforts of King Henselt (gets an important ally killed and turns Henselt against Sorceresses)
4. Her sex toy/familiar turns out to have been a spy for Nilfgaard all along.

She just is.....AWFUL at scheming.

Blofeld in James Bond has a better track record.

It's awesome because it's true. It's also canonical because "The Witcher 2" is all about how every one of Phillipa's plans blows up spectacularly in her face.

3. Have Sabrina sabotage the efforts of King Henselt (gets an important ally killed and turns Henselt against Sorceresses)

You can't say she doesn't aim high.

I loved her reaction when you tell her of Cynthia's betrayal. Too bad you can't tell her later how you knocked boots with Cynthia too. Haha ouch.

You can't say she doesn't aim high.

I loved her reaction when you tell her of Cynthia's betrayal. Too bad you can't tell her later how you knocked boots with Cynthia too. Haha ouch.

I have the weirdest idea that with the exception of Dijkstra, Geralt has slept with most of her lovers and it annoys her terribly.

Her biggest failed scheme was the plan to marry Ciri with the prince of Kovir which was the very reason why she founded the lodge in the first place (besides her obvious hunger for power and recognition of course).

About the Yen/Philippa comparison:

There is a basic difference between Yen and Philippa though that makes Yen a ton more likable: she actually and truly cares about the ones she holds dear. She truly cares about Geralt and Ciri. Their fate and well-being is more important to her than every possible power scheme offered by chance, own power, rulers or other sorceresses. Philippa only cares about herself and maybe "the big plan to change the world". Yennefer was like that once as well but she changed and that's quite important. She changed becuase with Ciri and Geralt there are people she actually cares about. She recognized that the end doesn't always justify the means. She acknowledged that only following the big scheme could hurt the people you love.

It's also a pretty common mistake to take the Yennefer from the short stories. You have to take the Yennefer of The Lady of the Lake for the basis of the assessment of the "final" Yennefer in the books. And like Ciri and Geralt Yennefer changed quite a bit during the events in the books. She evolved and progressed as a character. I do think CDPR did that mistake as well to a certain limited extend from time to time. Yen in TW3 too often resembles more the Yennefer from the short stories or early in the pentalogy than the "late" Yennefer. In other rare occasions she seems to be totally out of character (e.g. greeting scene in Kaer Morhen). But apart from that her overall character is pretty much well displayed.

I agree. Philippa is scum. Somewhat likable scum in the sense that she's a really interesting character that I have a love/hate relationship with. Her incessant scheming fascinates me.

As far as Radovid...hey, you never know. I can't ever imagine a scenario where I wouldn't kill him, but to each his own.

I think the story should have played up Radovid's insanity being caused by Philippa's magical manipulation of him when he was in her care.

I think the story should have played up Radovid's insanity being caused by Philippa's magical manipulation of him when he was in her care.

When I heard the chess speech, I assumed Radovid was insane because Phillipa had somehow cursed him from a distance.

When I heard the chess speech, I assumed Radovid was insane because Phillipa had somehow cursed him from a distance.

I remember someone talking about how sorceresses used mentally weak kings to do their bidding. Radovid fought the control, and eventually his sanitybroke.

Top Bottom