Npc Armor design in the witcher 3

+
Npc Armor design in the witcher 3

Hello!

I was hoping to start a discussion on the armor design in the witcher 3. Particularly after seeing the art style of armor the wild hunt spectral riders were wearing.

I've also noted from what we've seen from trailers and the snippet of game play that was shown; that the armor is very nordic. (Mayhaps due to the region)

I was hoping that the excellent armor design among the npcs in the witcher 2 will make its return in the third game.
I realize we may not have seen any shots of Novigrad (Presumably where we would see that armor design) So here's to hoping that the armor will make a come back, as its made such an aesthetic impact that modders in skyrim have adopted it into the game.

For oogling sake

I liked Armor Design in W2

agree with you.....hope there will be different NPC armours in different areas of world

Oh I think the designs will be great. I think we've only seen bandits and like basic guards in screen shots yet but when knaves and royal guards make an appearance they will totally have awesome armor designs. Yeah, when seeing the spectral riders the armor was the first thing I cared about, all the story just became white noise at that point ^^. I love the red/black details (mainly because it's one of my favorite color schemes :p).

Well, here is a thread in which prospective NPC armour designs (for some types of NPCs) is shown and discussed, check it out: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36357-clans-of-skellige/

the ordinary soldiers in witcher 2 have very strong armor designs. the noblemen knights are a little too fantastic and heavy. they look like ceremonial or tournament armor rather than combat gear.

That plate armour which seems prevalant among all of the more "civilised" northern kingdoms was nicely realistic, a refreshing change from the usual silly fantasy stuff of other games, assume we'll see that all over Novigrad and surrounding Redania. That said it was nice to see the barbarous folk of Kaedwen armoured and clothed differently, and it'll be nice to see the Islanders as well from what i've seen of the concept art. Personally I hope Geralt gets a jacket like Berengar and the other Witchers from the first game, preferred them to his own jackets.

The overly ornamented and rather outlandish armour of the Dearg Rhudri I don't mind, they're trying to evoke a fantastical and otherworldly appearance.

Eh, I opened a thread on the very same topic months ago, after the first TW3 reveal.

EDIT - here, found it: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/34309-what-happened-to-tw2s-outstanding-armor-design/

It's not like the new game doesn't look stunning so far, but it really seems that something about the oustanding armor design in TW2 is gone in this sequel, judging from... well, pretty much everything I've seen so far about the sequel.

We even have an enemy faction with people wearing... ugh... HORNED HELMS.
May god have mercy of our souls.

Aye the horned helms are bloody silly, personally I hope that they point out that these are obvious weak points using Geralt's targeting system thing, a good wack on the helm and the force instead of sliding off (the purpose of a helm) inflicts a stun effect or a concussion.

Still don't like'em, leave 'em to the arses in Skyrim, but at least that'd acknowledge the obvious weakness.

No game has done armor better than TW2 imo. The variety and quality, the attention to detail and authenticity is just insane. I know some of it was a bit too decorative at times, but even in those cases it was well designed. They've set the goal post really high.

i agree, TW2 did such an amazing job in creating realistic knights and soldiers and i definitely think we'll see them again, especially in Redania. it's one of the things i'm looking forward to the most!
i have to say so far i'm also really impressed by the skellige warriors. CDPR never fails to create designs that fit the environment and cultur of the people. skellige dudes already look much more realistic nordic than anything skyrim did.
but i hope they go even further in diversifying clothes and armor of the npc's, but so far it looks like it.
I've found some concept art of the dudes in the cgi trailer and they look really cool!

Bloth said:
Aye the horned helms are bloody silly, personally I hope that they point out that these are obvious weak points using Geralt's targeting system thing, a good wack on the helm and the force instead of sliding off (the purpose of a helm) inflicts a stun effect or a concussion.

Still don't like'em, leave 'em to the arses in Skyrim, but at least that'd acknowledge the obvious weakness.
why does every game have to have horned helmets? they don't even look that cool

garrusbiggestfan said:

Horned helms were ceremonial only. They've never been used in battle. CDPR's designs are pretty sensible, but I still think they should get rid of the horns. I blame Skyrim.

The worst thing about Skyrim is how influential it is. Please CDPR, nix the horns! Please! No stupid horns!

Actually, I am a fan of the realism presented by the getup of the NPCs in TW2 - the only part which I thought was overkill were the noblemen costumes (yes, they look like something out of a play). So far, going by screenshots and leaked footage, TW3 has not been disappointing in the armor department for the NPCs, even though what we are seeing is presumably pre-alpha build.

The only beef I have right now is Geralt's default armor in TW3 - the TW2 armor was cool, had nice aesthetics, and was realistic. In contrast, the TW3 armor as we have seen is... not looking good, imo. Thank god we have armor customization...

The horned helmets thing still makes me laugh in a way...
I mean, why seeking realism when the main character of the game has longswords on his back ? Theoretically, it is impossible/extremely impractical to unsheathe them. This is a fantasy themed universe, I don't see why horned helmets would be the "worst" non-realistic thing.^^

http://www.google.de/imgres?hl=de&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=Am97g9WDdL7Z0M:&imgrefurl=http://conceptartworld.com/%3Fp%3D26816&docid=5CNupzGC6b1TuM&imgurl=http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Witcher_3_Wild_Hunt_Concept_Art_AS_00.jpg&w=1280&h=720&ei=9ekhUsC6H7SV0QWBwoG4BQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=921&vpy=317&dur=2502&hovh=168&hovw=300&tx=124&ty=95&page=4&tbnh=140&tbnw=270&start=87&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:91,s:0,i:358

here you have them, they're pretty cool i'd say. i especially like the fat one

garrusbiggestfan said:
Multiple reasons: one is because they're "fantasy" and "badassing". The other is a misinterpretation of cerimonial japanese and european armors. Same with weapons, swords especially. Some cannot distinguish the difference between "cerimonial" and "battle ready".

Anyway, now it's common place that vikings have horned helmets

Yeah the armour design in The Witcher 2 was pretty much immaculate. Iconic and unforgettable. Just by looking at the silhouette of a certain character you'd know who he was. Incredible.

I'm pretty sure the same quality of art direction will be present in the Witcher 3. In fact, so far of what I've seen, it's looking really spectacular.

ViZ7 said:
The horned helmets thing still makes me laugh in a way...
I mean, why seeking realism when the main character of the game has longswords on his back ? Theoretically, it is impossible/extremely impractical to unsheathe them. This is a fantasy themed universe, I don't see why horned helmets would be the "worst" non-realistic thing.^^

We're stuck with the swords on the back because of Sapkowski's writing, in the first game I tried as much as possible to keep my sword on my hip which was a nice option.

Top Bottom