[Spoilers] What's your Opinion on Blood and Wine?

+
My only (minor) complaint is that there's kind of a weird tonal problem with Toussaint having just as many if not more monsters and bandits than war-torn Velen, but I don't really know how it could have been handled better. Otherwise it's great. Toussaint is BEAUTIFUL, it had a good number of quality sidequests, the main quest was interesting (even though Detlaff wasn't as interesting a villain as O'Dimm), there is a new gwent deck!, and I like a lot of the characters.

Last edited:
Blood and Wine is the perfect end to the Witcher saga, you folks made the game I've always dreamed of playing as a kid. I can't even begin to describe the stupid grin on my face when I first hit Toussaint.

I thought Toussaint was an excellent foil for the previous dark, rainy and moody landscapes. The story was great. There was a lot of deliciousness :) I still go back to Novigrad sometimes though. And even Kaer Morhen and White Orchard - for no reason at all....

Loved the location...

But the story just sucked. I found every step of the way just uninteresting, full of "meh" characters (no more so than Anna Henrietta, whose mannerisms just made me despise her) and I just wanted to push on and get it over and done with.

Vampires are lame.

Last edited:
I'm going to have a noticeably difference of opinion from the majority here : overall, I was comparatively disappointed by this expansion.
Of course, the operative word is "relatively". It still had its strong points, and the relative letdown is in no small part (though not entirely) due to following the masterpiece that was Wild Hunt.

First, though, the good : It's massive. It's hard sometimes to remember it's just an expansion. I often thought about other adventures Geralt had previously, and it struck me "oh shit, it's actually in the same game and I can actually just fast-travel back there ! This point is really deserving a ton of pro-points to CDPR, because a 20 bucks expansion pack that has more content and a bigger location than most "epic" games, is certainly about unheard of.
This alone elevates this expansion above the "average" point, if only because of the respect toward consumer it shows. Regardless of the result, it proves there was a definite good will to do good.

Toussaint is also a pretty striking locale. The assets are impressives, the palace is gorgeous. I like the idea of a lighter, softer and more upbeat land to compensate the absolute grim of three games and end up Geralt's adventures on a slightly more positive outlook.

A lot of quests are actually pretty good, and suitably humorour or imaginative.

Finally, the trip in Fablelands was absolutely great - easily the highlight of the expansion.

That being said, though, there is a lot of little (and a few big) things that made me consider there was a lot of "quantity over quality" there.
- First, the thing which stroke me, is the wasting of gorgeous models through the use of an absolutely ridiculous graphical carnage. The horrible yellow filter and the ever-present blurring made the expansion actually much uglier than the original game - people claiming it's more beautiful must really have either terrible screen, or terrible eyes. It even stopped me to play, until I could find a way to replace this horror with some modded lighting - thanks the modding community in general, and CertainlyStenchy in particular. It's a big pet peeve of mine, but seriously I can't understand how it could go through QA as is, and how any designer could not only let such atrocious distorsion pass, let even actually propose it...

- Second, if, as said above, I like the idea of a change of tone, it was just overdone. The Witcher always had this bit of satire and spoofing, but it always managed to avoid going into farcical. It was greatly handled in Wild Hunt, with a light touch and a bit of silliness. B&W, though, lacks subtlety and makes the whole duchy feels to be kind of a joke. The idea was good, but the execution was simply excessive.

- Overall, the writing and the missions, though not strictly speaking bad, was noticeably inferior to Wild Hunt (and to HoS). It was much more formulaic and predictable, and lacked the depth and subtlety we got from the main game. Especially, the snarkiness, the moral dilemma and the personal bonding were mostly absent (only Regis managed to add a bit of the latter).
All in all, the writing was serviceable, but I don't remember a moment where I felt really moved or surprised, while interaction between Geralt and Ciri were always ladden with emotion. Again, it wasn't "bad", but it certainly was "worse" - it didn't felt like it was the same writers at all.
I also dislike the amount of time the game would confiscate control for long period of time - to be fair, it's also something I would blame Wild Hunt toward the end. But it's truly infuriating when you can't issue a non-combat command for 15+ minutes in a row. Seriously.

- Finally, my biggest beef : the main story ranged from "mediocre" to "frankly bad". I liked a lot Anna Henrietta, and it was okayish until the assault of the castle (though not great by any means), but after that, save with the Fableland bit, it simply crashed down into fanfiction territory. The massive vampire attack was a moment of /facepalm, completely destroying immersion and suspension of disbelief. It was hamfisted in the extreme, contrived and felt just like an unsubtly way to up the ante in the most superficial manner.
Syanna was absolutely unsufferable, and it was made even more annoying by the game basically bending over to make you feel that she was the victim and you should feel sorry for her, and barring you to any kind of good ending if you didn't just suck up to her. I especially disliked how often my own agency was robbed of me, with Geralt assumed to be sympathizing with her. I guess it could be claimed to be a deconstruction of Twilight (with the arrogant bitch in relation with a vampire, which is designated as the heroin despite being, well, a bitch), but I'm afraid it's just bad writing.
Geralt itself seemed to suffer from a lot of fatigue, being overall pretty inept at deducing the obvious, and the game holding the player's hand quite a bit too much.
And worst of all, the endings, which were forced and shoehorned to death. Either the easily forgiven mass-murderess whose responsability in killing hundred is happily cast to the wind ; or the idiotic "everyone blames you for the death of the traitoress, despite the same guys saying a bit early that the populace would be ready to storm the palace to lynch her" ; or the even more idiotic "everyone knows Syanna planned to kill her sister, but nobody is close by to prevent the extremely obvious stabbing even after being warned about it 15 seconds before".
Good writing is organic and happens naturally. This was the antithesis of that, and felt just like a big block of idiot ball being passed.

So yeah. For all the praise about B&W I've read on the Net, I find it overall very unsubtle (no room for Bloody Baron here, that's for sure), going too far in the farcical and losing a lot of the typical Witcher authenticity which made Wild Hunt to great, and having an especially trite, hamfisted and shoehorned main plot. I also can't shake this weird feeling it was a different team which wrote this expansion, even though I have read nothing about it - but the writing is simply not the same.
That being said, despite the lengthy criticism, it's still a worthy expansion if judged by its own merits - the mediocrity of the MQ is easily counter-balanced by the scope of what is "just" an expansion, but feel like a full-fledged game - and it falls short mainly because of the standards it has to hold to.
Still, I hoped for a better send-off for Geraly, leaving with a whimper instead of a bang, in a finale that is massively below the fantastic "empress Ciri" one when it comes to "moving moment".

Last edited:
I beat B&W a couple of hours ago, and I can't help but feel disappointed with the end result, which is a shame considering this is Geralt's last adventure.

Before anything else, I'd like to emphasise that I knew beforehand that it was going to be very difficult for CDPR to outdo themselves after HoS, so I dove into this expansion with tempered expectations. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

Pros:

- Toussaint is an absolute gorgeous region to explore, especially Beauclair.

- The new "mutagen system" was a great addition to the game and it actually made the combat more fun.

- I enjoyed the seemingly out of nowhere encounters with the Bruxas when I was exploring.

- The amazing soundtrack.

Cons:

- Outside of "La Cage Au", I found the main quest to be very underwhelming. Dettlaffe and Sylvia are both terrible characters, and the main story suffered because of it. Their motivations hardly justify their heinous actions over the course of the game. This situation could have been mitigated if Dettlaffe hadn't killed hundreds of innocent people just to get to Sylvia.

- The lack of resolution regarding Orianna and her terrible secret. She could have easily been our last contract during the epilogue...

Nitpick:

- The Skellige deck is crap, and it might as well never have existed in the first place. The dwarves were right all along!

Last edited:
Could never get into the witcher games tbh, think it was the combat no sure why though, but i decided to pick up 3 on the cheap an try it out since i was pretty bored with my game library an was pleasantly surprised to find i really enjoyed it, i mean alot, so i decided to buy the season pass after i had done a couple of play throughs an played through both DLC, played through both once an tbh i have zero desire to visit any of them again unlike the main campaign where im visiting again for about the 10th time. both DLC just plain bore my truth be told, characters an story just dont interest me, suppose it was hard to try an emulate what was a great base game
Maybe if i could get into the other 2 games (which i doubt will ever happen) i might feel some connection to the DLC, but as it stands, yeah i find both to be pretty boring

One of the best IF not the best Rpg DLC ever released!

And a wonderful and emotional final to the Geralt trilogy!

I think i don't need to say more about it! Just a great game!

(And what makes it even more better, is the little surprise at the ending^^)

It was awesome !
Hate them bugs and plants. Well this plant monster is really bad .. I said that from first witcher and I will whenever I can . It just suck.
Story as usuall.. AWESOME !! House .. cool feature .. didnt care to much about it thou
Thank god for upscaling monsters . Otherwise this would be disaster.

Balance, crefting, Clear and cool UI especialy inventory and crafiting to make this game perfect. I look foward to Witcher 4

Strong DLC. Strong as in it is both beautiful and fun, and nice to waste an entire weekend on. A lot of love clearly was put into it. A+ on Skellige Gwent. Small things like the Olfieri mage and the dolphin illusions at the party made the game felt like a real time experience at times.

HOWEVER it still has the same story problems from the base game mostly for the same reason: open world. The resources put into making Toussaint so big was at the cost of a more fleshed out plotline. And that was the difference that made Witcher 2 such a great RPG IMO.

The plot of the game wasn't engaging because the pacing of the main quest felt wrong.

IE: What was the need for the giant fight at the beginning? Just to be epic? It could have been tied to the main plot, perhaps to Syanna's plot. It would have given her the proper introduction of her presence at least. Not mid-game where we learn she wasn't the complex villain as advertised.

Some side quests delving further into the main cast’s backgrounds, poltics of Toussaint vampire lore would have been vital too. It felt that the most interesting topics were snubbed at the cost of civilian's sidequests or Witcher contracts. Though interesting, too much of it makes the minor NPCs feel as mindless as from other games and that you've done it 100x before.

TL; DR :
Strong game with a lot of effort put into it, but not in the right direction for my tastes.
More should have been put into the things that really mattered, considering that the Witcher series is a story-driven RPG.
8/10.

Last edited:
I finally managed to play through Blood & Wine (left some sidequests unfinjshed though), and I must say that as a whole it's even better than HoS, and therefore also better than the main game. There are some truly great quests in Toussaint, not to mention plenty of clever and really funny dialogue.

The one thing I didn't like at all was the Gwent tournament, because I don't like being forced to use a specific option (deck). It was one of the quests I never finished. Next time, though...

I can't say I'd missed archespores or kikimores (those swamps in TW1 were/are a nightmare), but it was still nice fighting "new" monsters. Superior Golden Oriole was more than worth its weight in gold. :D

I'm pretty sure I got the worst possible ending (which earned me the Kling of the Clink achievement; I felt bad seeing poor Geralt in prison), but there was no point at which I didn't feel my choices were justified. I really, really didn't like Syanna, whereas Dettlaff was even likeable (once the truth behind his actions was unveiled). The further I progressed in the story the less I liked Anna Henrietta. All in all the story is on par with the story of HoS (better than main game story), but with several more quests.

By the way, Manticore gear combined with the
Professor's spectacles
from HoS makes Geralt look like a true, cool professional. :cool:

Summing up: 11/10

I forgot to mention that Toussaint is incredibly beautiful. It's like a paradise except for the monsters and other nasty stuff. :D

I forgot to mention that Toussaint is incredibly beautiful. It's like a paradise except for the monsters and other nasty stuff. :D

I felt like I was having a vacation there. I watched scenery, smelled the flowers and was so happyhappyhappy. All around was peace and quiet, birds and butterflies... It was like a princess fairy tale where everyone lives happily ever after. Then suddenly -BANG- and I was dead without warnings :D

Very beautiful, and very deadly!

Blood and Wine was fantastic - I had a great time playing it, and loved how it gave some closure to Geralt's previous adventures. It would have been nice if more old friends would have showed up at the estate (I do have a spare bedroom, after all), but, hey, you can't have it all! :geraltfeelgood:

Blood and Wine was fantastic - I had a great time playing it, and loved how it gave some closure to Geralt's previous adventures. It would have been nice if more old friends would have showed up at the estate (I do have a spare bedroom, after all), but, hey, you can't have it all! :geraltfeelgood:

My guest room did get an occupant, and an old friend (literally) at that. Must've made different choices along the way. :)

I got Yennefer too, but like you said she didn't move in the guest room. She couldn't even have done it since it was already occupied. :p

Top Bottom