The Last Wish - How was it handled?

+
The Last Wish - How was it handled?

The option for breaking up with Yennefer is something that the game allows, including breaking the Djinn's curse.

However, uh, damn that really wasn't well handled by Geralt.

He could have done something a little less painful.

Maybe STABBED her.

Eeesh.

What was your take, those who chose to stick with Triss?

I hated the way it was handeled,because Geralt lied to Yen.It's clear in the books that the wish did not make Geralt to fall in love with Yen.He made the wish because he was already in love with her.

I get there's no GOOD way to say, "Yennefer, I'm sorry, I don't feel the same way anymore."

But I get the impression the developers weren't too happy with the idea of players not wanting to be with Yennefer.

So they concocted a silly reason for Geralt to no longer feel that way.

As if couples' feelings didn't change.

I thought the actual break up scene was handled well. Geralt breaks it to her quite apologetically and Yen comes across as shocked and saddened.
I felt sympathy for Yen at the time before later handling drove that sympathy out of me.
The problems lie after. In Kaer Morhen she seems to not acknowledge the break-up, acting like they are in a relationship, including snogging Geralt.
On top of that there no options given for reactivity regarding having chosen Triss.

I was happy with the option since she was being shoved in my face all the time

And Geralt flirting with her even though he was already romancing Triss? Didn't like that one bit

At least this explained that (a bad excuse but still..)
And finally my Geralt was free of Yen!

But of course it didn't really matter at all
(Yen behaved normally after that and Triss sadly didn't care...)

I feel there's a... chronological issue with the way the relationship with Yen was handled. Observe.

You meet Yen, and the game immediately tells you via dialogue that this isn't a smash and run relationship. From the way you interact with each other in Wyzima, to the first bed scene, through the main quest line, you're constantly reminded that Yen is important. Very important. In fact, most of the interactions with her boil down to reminiscing. We did that, we went there, wasn't that great, how we (mostly Yen) laughed, etc. And then the D'jinn quest ends and the whole relationship drops off a cliff if you pick one of the options (but in reality nothing changes because Yen is necessary for the rest of the game), or continues on without any change if you pick the other.

Now look how Triss is handled.

You meet her, and even without knowing anything about the events of the previous games, it's easy to establish you have a past that isn't really in the past, so to speak. At the same time, you're essentially free agents with the ability to pursue the potential relationship again, if you so desire. You do the quest line and in doing so, you can choose to grow closer or remain distant. The connection either grows organically or never takes off. As the end of the arc comes around, regardless of whether you remain indifferent or rekindle the spark, it all feels organics and, well... make sense. Because you made it make sense with your actions.

As nostalgic as the Last Wish was, I think it would have been better to handle the spell breaking as early as possible (perhaps even off screen, via some ex machina) and let Geralt and Yen figure the future out on their own.

I hated the way it was handeled,because Geralt lied to Yen.It's clear in the books that the wish did not make Geralt to fall in love with Yen.He made the wish because he was already in love with her.

I don't know how you could possibly come to that interpretation after reading the Last Wish. He was trying to save her life, even after she abused the heck out of him, because he's a dopey white knight sometimes.

Here's the proof:
'You're going there because you have to, aren't you?'
Geralt hesitated. He thought he smelled the scent of lilac and gooseberries.
'I think so,' he said reluctantly. 'I do have to. I'm sorry, Chireadan—'
'Don't apologise. I know what you feel.'
'I doubt it. Because I don't know myself.'
The elf smiled. The smile had little to do with joy. 'That's just it, Geralt. Precisely it.'

The option for breaking up with Yennefer is something that the game allows, including breaking the Djinn's curse.

However, uh, damn that really wasn't well handled by Geralt.

He could have done something a little less painful.

Maybe STABBED her.

Eeesh.

What was your take, those who chose to stick with Triss?

I feel the same, when i saw the option to breaking up with Yennefer right after complete the Djinn Quest... That was... Stupid... That's the wrong moment and the wish has nothing to do with love, i knew it.

I feel the same, when i saw the option to breaking up with Yennefer right after complete the Djinn Quest... That was... Stupid... That's the wrong moment and the wish has nothing to do with love, i knew it.

It's really just needlessly sadistic.

"It looks like....you got your wish."

What the ****, Geralt?

I think there should have been an option for Geralt to tell Yen that he needs time to think about things. Allow the player to come back to it later if they desire to choose Yen. Non-book readers don't know much about her. Giving them more exposure to her later in the game and then deciding should be an option. Instead, you're forced into either saying that you love her or breaking up.

I think there should have been an option for Geralt to tell Yen that he needs time to think about things. Allow the player to come back to it later if they desire to choose Yen. Non-book readers don't know much about her. Giving them more exposure to her later in the game and then deciding should be an option. Instead, you're forced into either saying that you love her or breaking up.

I also would have preferred a special Triss option.

"I'm...with someone else now."

Something to give Yennefer, at least, some small amount of dignity to go with and not leave her questioning the last thirty years of their relationship.

I agree with hismastersvoice on this. The real issue was at what time the Last Wish takes place.

By the time you go out to find the Djinn with Yen your Geralt could already have confessed his feelings to Triss. That alone makes me scratch my head a little. Sure the wish doesn't prevent Geralt from falling in love with other people, but shouldn't that have factored into those moments? Shouldn't it have added a pretty big element of doubt that the relationship with Triss might not last or be sabotaged somehow because of the wish?

The way it stands now, either the final confession to Triss should've been moved to after Last Wish or, like hismastersvoice suggested, Last Wish needed to happen sooner.

If we could add some scenes, I'd rather tweak the scene with Triss at the docks to not be the definitive confession. That she isn't convinced that she can have Geralt with Yen back in the picture, or that he might not really want her now that his memories are back and Triss took advantage of him. You have a chance post-Last Wish to convince her otherwise.

That would give the player a chance to get to know both love interests in Geralt's life before making a final choice. As a final little thought, I felt Yen needed to have a talk to Geralt about Triss at some point. I remember she said back in Vizima that she doesn't want to hear excuses, but I'm pretty sure it needed to come out before she could feel secure about Geralt.

And you cleary have no idea about Geralt And Yennefer and what really drives them.
I strongly recommend this thread for you:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/40716-Yennefer-of-Vengerberg-(all-spoilers)

I have read the books. I'm commenting just on the Last Wish short story. At the point that he makes the wish, he has only just met Yennefer, and in their brief acquaintance, she has double-crossed him, mind controlled him, got him thrown in jail, and generally been a horrible person to him.

This is kind of a silly discussion, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I think the way they handled it in the game made sense to me. I'm sure that a lot of folks who read the books wondered if their relationship was the product of the wish or not, and giving the player/reader the opportunity to decide for themselves is actually pretty cool.

At the point that he makes the wish, he has only just met Yennefer, and in their brief acquaintance, she has double-crossed him, mind controlled him, got him thrown in jail, and generally been a horrible person to him.

You should read the link @Gilthoniel provided in one of the above posts. I'll quote from that article:

"Yennefer can hear thoughts. When she first met Geralt, he looked her over and realized she used to be a hunchback. He made a game in his mind of trying to decide what deformity she used to have – since most sorceresses have a deformity. Yennefer heard his thoughts, and in anger, she enscorelled him and used him to get revenge on everyone who had been unkind to her in the city. She had him go around spanking people for calling her names and putting her down, then later she tried to get him out of prison when he was arrested. She even tried to send him through a portal so he would be safe when the djiin took over the town.
Yennefer pranked Geralt to get back at him for silently mocking her about something that she is very sensitive about. It’s revealed in the last novel that she hated being a hunchback so much that she tried to kill herself when she was a girl. "

And of course, she also helped Dandelion, who otherwise would never have sung again.

Top Bottom