The Last Wish - How was it handled?

+
You should read the link @Gilthoniel provided in one of the above posts. I'll quote from that article:

"Yennefer can hear thoughts. When she first met Geralt, he looked her over and realized she used to be a hunchback. He made a game in his mind of trying to decide what deformity she used to have – since most sorceresses have a deformity. Yennefer heard his thoughts, and in anger, she enscorelled him and used him to get revenge on everyone who had been unkind to her in the city. She had him go around spanking people for calling her names and putting her down, then later she tried to get him out of prison when he was arrested. She even tried to send him through a portal so he would be safe when the djiin took over the town.
Yennefer pranked Geralt to get back at him for silently mocking her about something that she is very sensitive about. It’s revealed in the last novel that she hated being a hunchback so much that she tried to kill herself when she was a girl. "

And of course, she also helped Dandelion, who otherwise would never have sung again.

Of course. She helped Dandelion (because at that time she thought still controlled the djinni) and then mind controlled Geralt and nearly got him killed before he wound up chained to a dungeon wall (ha ha, funny prank) all because he looked at her and realized she used to be a hunchback. It was obviously true love at first sight.

Thanks, it all makes sense now.

Yen actually does act a bit differently if you break up with her. She's much more angry about Geralt and Triss' relationship in Kaer Morhen, potentially teleporting Geralt into a lake if he pursues the conversation in a direction that upsets her. That option doesn't come up if you stay with Yen; Geralt and Triss' past relationship is briefly brought up and dropped.

Last edited:
It's rather hilarious how rabid that blogger is

Right?
Seems just like a blind Yen fanboy

I mean he/she can like Yen more but (as always with book readers) they bash Triss and make it seem like Yen's the only true love of Geralt
just silly

It's really just needlessly sadistic.

"It looks like....you got your wish."

What the ****, Geralt?

Hard to believe, but Geralt was nicer in the game over this sort of thing than he was early in the books. He walked out on Yen in Vengerburg without so much as a word and left her distraught for years (and this was after he made the wish). Here in the game he makes some clumsy attempts to explain. (Marginal) progress to a gentler Geralt? :p

Of course. She helped Dandelion (because at that time she thought still controlled the djinni) and then mind controlled Geralt and nearly got him killed before he wound up chained to a dungeon wall (ha ha, funny prank) all because he looked at her and realized she used to be a hunchback. It was obviously true love at first sight.

Thanks, it all makes sense now.

She was ready to help Dandelion even before she knew about the djinn

No,she mind controlled him,because he lied to her about the seal(and also shamelessly stared at her boobs).And lying to a person whom you asking for help is apretty stupid thing to do,especially if that certain someone is a sorceress.

Also,she helped him to get out of prison.

Right?

I mean he/she can like Yen more but (as always with book readers) they bash Triss and make it seem like Yen's the only true love of Geralt
just silly

Well, despite all that happened between Geralt and Triss in the first two games, Yennefer is Geralt's one true love. And CDPR also acknowledges this and the default slate when starting TW3 is that Geralt and Triss broke up, because he went to find his one true love. It's only later in the game when the players can choose to go against this and choose Triss. And we're not trying to bash Triss, we just know more about her past than non-book readers, and we just want to point out that she is not as sweet and innocent as non-book readers think, and these non-book readers coincidentally always think Yen is the devil incarnate, which she isn't.

Right?

just silly

Not all book readers bash Triss,let's be honest here.

Exactly! We Yen fans like Triss also. But it seems Triss fans only love Triss and blindly hate Yennefer.

Ridiculous view that apart from being wrong does nothing but start up another instance of the pointless Yen vs Triss war. How about we don't further feed the fire that derails threads into bickering?

Ridiculous view that apart from being wrong does nothing but start up another instance of the pointless Yen vs Triss war. How about we don't further feed the fire that derails threads into bickering?

I guess it should be told to Triss fanatics- but I agree with you ;)

It's really just needlessly sadistic.

"It looks like....you got your wish."

What the ****, Geralt?

I did like her confusion at how the attraction could only be one way Besides, that wasn't all that bad - Geralt was honest and to the point, not sadistic.

How could something like The Witcher ever turn into a Twilight Style Geralt/Triss vs Geralt/Yen fanwar?
You have a story were love is so complex and difficult but fans decide to just wave their Triss/Yen banners?
Weird.

I'm just calling it as I see it. But, I agree with you, all this bickering has gone off the rails. But, I just can't stand all the Yen hate that is going around, and most of it is just immature stuff like "She's such a bitch blabla" and they completely ignore facts and reject all reasons and explanations about Yen.

The context of the books are severe when it comes to Triss Merrigold. Without the context of the books, she is a deeply caring friend who becomes a love interest of Geralt's. WITH the context of the book, Triss is in fact a snake in the grass. Readers know that it is not mistake that Triss ends up with Geralt. Triss shows to have no real friendship with Yennefer as she consistently and systematically goes behind her friend's back to steal her man. In fact one could say Triss taking advantage of Geralt in his amnesia is morally corrupt. The last interaction they had, Triss again was trying to woe Geralt while Geralt made it abundantly clear he wanted no part of it. And then Yennefer rebuked Triss and in equally stern words also told Triss to piss off.

AND yet at the first opportune moment, Triss ends up back with Geralt? This is sociopathic behaviour. She was told off in no uncertain terms by both members of the relationship, yet taking advantage of Geralt's amnesia and Yennefer's absence, she sneaks back in. Some friend.

The context of the books are severe when it comes to Triss Merrigold. Without the context of the books, she is a deeply caring friend who becomes a love interest of Geralt's. WITH the context of the book, Triss is in fact a snake in the grass. Readers know that it is not mistake that Triss ends up with Geralt. Triss shows to have no real friendship with Yennefer as she consistently and systematically goes behind her friend's back to steal her man. In fact one could say Triss taking advantage of Geralt in his amnesia is morally corrupt. The last interaction they had, Triss again was trying to woe Geralt while Geralt made it abundantly clear he wanted no part of it. And then Yennefer rebuked Triss and in equally stern words also told Triss to piss off.

AND yet at the first opportune moment, Triss ends up back with Geralt? This is sociopathic behaviour. She was told off in no uncertain terms by both members of the relationship, yet taking advantage of Geralt's amnesia and Yennefer's absence, she sneaks back in. Some friend.

And all of that makes for excellent material for interesting conversations and dialogue that we never get to explore in the game. Such a missed opportunity and frankly a shame considering this is the end of Geralt's story.

Exactly.Taking advantage of someone's amnesia is a very messed up thing to do,especially if that certain someone is your friend(and your best friend's boyfriend).If genders were reversed,and Triss was a man,and Geralt was a woman,it would've been considered rape.

She was ready to help Dandelion even before she knew about the djinn

No,she mind controlled him,because he lied to her about the seal(and also shamelessly stared at her boobs).And lying to a person whom you asking for help is apretty stupid thing to do,especially if that certain someone is a sorceress.

Also,she helped him to get out of prison.

Yennefer is an interesting and well written character in both the books and the games. One of the things which makes her interesting is that it's impossible to be sure how much of her relationship with Geralt is influenced by the Wish. Some readers will probably feel one way about it, while others will feel differently. That's part of what makes it interesting.

I like the fact that the writers of TW3 let the readers/players reach their own conclusions. Hence, I think that the developers handled that quest very well.

And all of that makes for excellent material for interesting conversations and dialogue that we never get to explore in the game. Such a missed opportunity and frankly a shame considering this is the end of Geralt's story.

It's one of the few things i dislike about the game.You can clearly see Yen's flaws and discuss them with her and other people,while Triss seems flawless,because there's no discussion about her flaws.Geralt never confronts her about taking advantage of him or betraying Yen.

The context of the books are severe when it comes to Triss Merrigold..
And this is probably the main issue here. Not only with Triss but many other things.
I mean CDPR definitely knows the books, and sometimes I feel they failed to introduce the witcher improperly to non readers.

Top Bottom