Witcher Franchise Speculation

+

Witcher Franchise Speculation

• I would like Witcher 4 with Geralt in a story after the Witcher 3 events. Warning! Unlikely!

Votes: 94 23.9%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with Ciri and a story that takes place after Witcher 3 events.

Votes: 107 27.2%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a new PREDEFINED protagonist (not Geralt or Ciri).

Votes: 92 23.4%
  • I would like Witcher 4 with a PLAYER CREATED CHARACTER (skyrim, dragon age).

Votes: 71 18.1%
  • I would like a Witcher Prequel Series with a much younger Geralt.

Votes: 102 26.0%
  • I would like Witcher 1 remade and expanded upon in the new engine (and maybe W2 as well).

Votes: 103 26.2%
  • The new game(s) should build on the existing universe. Kingdoms and characters are largely the same.

Votes: 77 19.6%
  • The new game(s) should be a "a fresh start". New exciting lands, characters, companions, lore etc.

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • I would like more than 2 expansions for W3, maybe 4-5 to expand on Ciri, Triss, Saskia, Iorveth etc.

Votes: 179 45.5%
  • Once Witcher 3 is done I don't want more Witcher games. CDPR should do other things.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
My opinion: I can't stand playing as a female being I am a male. People complain about game immersion, well I definately can't immerse myself playing a female. No way to relate, plus I hate it when dudes hit on you, kinda weird when your a dude lol I hated Tomb Raider for it and I pick and choose Resident Evil games for it as well, like RE3 or the most recent, Revelations 2. Last of Us had me going until I played as a little girl, dont get how that is cool but luckily I was back to Joel in no time and even in this game playing Ciri, I just blow through super quick to get back to playing Geralt. Id rather just create my own character or play as Geralt.

banana.. HAMMA!

Could someone please explain to me why is it that most people seem to have no problems playing as sterile mutant monster slayers, space soldiers, robots, aliens, vampires, gods, psychopathic serial killers, elves, dwarves, wraiths, zombies, cyborgs, animals etc., yet they find it impossible to play as a female character?

Seriously, why is a character's womanhood such an incredibly defining trait (in your eyes) that it overshadows everything else? Why is it that you can't see them primarily as interesting characters? Why can't you look at Lara Croft first as a person, then as a treasure hunter and explorer, then as an action hero, and only then as a woman?

This phenomenon is, to me, one of the strongest indicators that some men indeed see (and treat) women as objects - they're not really persons, they're women. With such a foundation I guess it's no wonder these people find it easier to relate to aliens and undead than to women.

Could someone please explain to me why is it that most people seem to have no problems playing as sterile mutant monster slayers, space soldiers, robots, aliens, vampires, gods, psychopathic serial killers, elves, dwarves, wraiths, zombies, cyborgs, animals etc., yet they find it impossible to play as a female character?

Seriously, why is a character's womanhood such an incredibly defining trait (in your eyes) that it overshadows everything else? Why is it that you can't see them primarily as interesting characters? Why can't you look at Lara Croft first as a person, then as a treasure hunter and explorer, then as an action hero, and only then as a woman?

This phenomenon is, to me, one of the strongest indicators that some men indeed see (and treat) women as objects - they're not really persons, they're women. With such a foundation I guess it's no wonder these people find it easier to relate to aliens and undead than to women.

I think theres about 100 posts explaning why .. How about bothering to read them? And i am wondering a little something about people like you; Why do you see everyone as an object that needs analazying rather than humans with diffrent tastes? Also who gave you right to label people according to what they like or do not like?

I think theres about 100 posts explaning why .. How about bothering to read them? And i am wondering a little something about people like you; Why do you see everyone as an object that needs analazying rather than humans with diffrent tastes? Also who gave you right to label people according to what they like or do not like?

Funny, I must have missed these 100 posts, for I haven't seen one that explains why someone can't play as a woman apart from just stating that they "can't identify" with a female character or something equivalent. Which is what my post was all about. Why can't they? What makes women so totally alien?

Seriously, why is it that you can you roleplay a sterile, century-old mutant monster slayer - which I assume you're not in real life - but you can't roleplay a woman? Do you feel you're somehow closer to the former than the latter?

Of course I see - and accept - that people have different tastes. What I'm wondering is why a character's gender is such a huge issue to so many, when it's often completely irrelevant considering what actually defines those characters as persons.

As for labeling... I'm not quite sure - whom did I label as what now?

I just want another game with Geralt as the protagonist. I think he neither got the ending he deserved after 8 books and 3 games, nor that there is any better protagonist for a Witcher game.
If CDP really want's to end his story, then imo Ciri is the only logical choice.
A mage like Yen/Triss wouldn't work because the majority want's to play a swordfighter. A pure warrior like Zoltan wouldn't work because a lot of people want to play a magic-user, so it has to be a hybrid. Not to mention that the game is called "Witcher", so we should play one. Any other witcher like Lambert or Eskel would be just a inferior version of Geralt and there would be no point in not just let us play Geralt instead.
But whatever you do CDP. No player-created character please. Imo the predefined character is one of the reasons why all three wiitcher games had such a great story and character writing.
To summarize my opinion: Continue with Geralt. If that's not an option: make Ciri to the next protagonist. If that's not an option: let the franchise end with Witcher 3.
You could also just release a new addon with a new area every 6 months instead and make it to the biggest open world rpg of all times.

Last edited:
To summarize my opinion: Continue with Geralt. If that's not an option: make Ciri to the next protagonist.
But some of the endings make turning Ciri into a protagonist impossible unless CDPR comes out and say "hey, forget about your ending and we are just gonna pick a convenient ending for you". It is easier to bring Geralt back as the protagonist then to have Ciri who is also a unstoppable overpowered super weapon, as the protagonist.
I also did not like Geralt's endings, and it really did not do his character justice.

But some of the endings make turning Ciri into a protagonist impossible unless CDPR comes out and say "hey, forget about your ending and we are just gonna pick a convenient ending for you". It is easier to bring Geralt back as the protagonist then to have Ciri who is also a unstoppable overpowered super weapon, as the protagonist.
I also did not like Geralt's endings, and it really did not do his character justice.

^ i always keep saying this
AND, the problem is, the more the endings the more stuff they need to add/change, alot of people complain because alot of decision from W2 were changed but they would've affected the game so much that it would have changed it radically

Funny, I must have missed these 100 posts, for I haven't seen one that explains why someone can't play as a woman apart from just stating that they "can't identify" with a female character or something equivalent. Which is what my post was all about. Why can't they? What makes women so totally alien?

Seriously, why is it that you can you roleplay a sterile, century-old mutant monster slayer - which I assume you're not in real life - but you can't roleplay a woman? Do you feel you're somehow closer to the former than the latter?

Of course I see - and accept - that people have different tastes. What I'm wondering is why a character's gender is such a huge issue to so many, when it's often completely irrelevant considering what actually defines those characters as persons.

As for labeling... I'm not quite sure - whom did I label as what now?

The notion that the other gender is too alien to relate to is incredibly common today, Especially in conversations regarding a lack of female protagonists. Very often do I hear arguments that there should be more female protagonists, and black, and fat, because for some reason these traits are seen to be defining enough to be required to be able to relate. It boggles my mind. I'd love more variety, if nothing else than for it to be aesthetically pleasing, but I can't for the life of me understand this reasoning.

People want to experience something they can relate to emotionally and a century-old mutant guy is in many ways easier to relate to than a women for many guys.

I for one also don't like playing Female characters in emotional story driven games. Don't see what all the hostility is about. Next thing you know people turn hostile when I tell them I don't like cheese.

Many of the other reasons for not wanting Ciri as protagonist have already been named: the whole concept is overpowered, doesn't fit the existing story etc. More Geralt or another character with an established history(could even be completely made up) would be cool. A complete blank slate character would be somewhat disappointing for me - lets not turn this into the elder scrolls.

People want to experience something they can relate to emotionally and a century-old mutant guy is in many ways easier to relate to than a women for many guys.

Just wondering why it's assumed that everyone here is a male and their choice of how they relate to playing a gender is the important thing to consider.

Us women had to play a male Geralt, and handled it just fine (though I'd prefer to be playing a female).

Anyway, the modern move is to give us choice of male or female at character create screen.

Last edited:

And I think your example of century-old super mutated human being easier to role play than a woman says a lot about people, and not in a good way...

Ciri is a perfect candidate for next game, she is a complete character, a woman but at the same time determined, secure, and confident.

Just wondering why it's assumed that everyone here is a male
Who's assuming anything?

There is nothing to explain, its a purely emotional argument. I don't like it because I don't like it. So unless you want to have some meta-emotions discussion, I don't see what there is to discuss. Besides, is this really the thread/platform to discuss this issue?

And I think your example of century-old super mutated human being easier to role play than a woman says a lot about people, and not in a good way...
If you feel that way, that's your prerogative. I think however, its a common fact that men and women approach relations and decisions in a different manner - doesn't really have anything to do with the 'mutant monster-slayer' part. The whole point of emotions in games like this is to make these mutant characters relateable.

Last edited:
From a development perspective, they may return to the series after Cyberpunk but the main obstacle is needing a good story.

Everyone is - all talking from a male perspective.
To be fair, the question is: "Would you like it? Do you want Ciri's tale?"

Not everyone want to insert gender politics into every discussion. Some people simply want to state what they think and how they feel. If most people here are guys, so be it. Nothing wrong with that is there? Besides, most people that play these type of games are guys, so generalizing for the sake of argument is a fairly normal thing to do.

But I really don't want to turn this into some gender discussion, so this is my last reply regarding this topic.

Everyone is - all talking from a male perspective.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that NOT everyone here is talking from a male perspective. So let's drop this, shall we? That's more than just a suggestion, by the way. To all concerned. I'm going to start deleting posts if it carries on like this.

And, talking from an entirely personal and female perspective.
1. I had absolutely no problem playing as Geralt, and I enjoy looking at his ass for hours at a time.
2. I would have absolutely no problem playing as Ciri as long as they fix her run animation.

Oh, and speak for yourselves. Don't anyone claim to speak for others unless you're prepared to provide certified evidence that you're a mindreader.

Top Bottom