Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this here, since it is hard to dig through more than 900 pages. In Skellige, if you've dealt with Morkvarg before you and Yen went to Freya's garden together, they would have a different conversation.

Yennefer: You didn't mention your heroic battle with this Morkvarg character...

Geralt: You know me... Don't like to take my work home...

Yennefer: Mhm, I'm afraid you don't like home - the very concept of it. I asked you once to move to Vengerberg for me. Remember? Was that ever a row...

Geralt: Yeah... Those were the days...

Never knew this, need to try it next playthrough, again :)

"Reading last couple of pages in Triss thread where this was mentioned, I won't post it in there though, don't want to get reported multiple times and I don't want to read offensive PM's either. Some things you just can't discuss out there."

If you receive offensive PM's, then report them, or block the person who sent them or both. However, do NOT post them in the forum (refer to forum rules) and do NOT discuss the behaviour of other forum members within the forums.

@Gilthoniel, no, you should not discuss it here, and as a result your post was deleted.

Like if you go to Skellige and do the Yen stuff, especially with the Garden, before doing the Novigrad quest chain, you get some different dialogue, like after you and Triss deal with Menge there's entirely different dialogue.

Ah, good to know too.
Will do that when my second playthrough starts.

:pride2: Geralt ?
:geraltfeelgood:Yes ?
:pride2:Can you do this for me ?
:geraltfeelgood:Yes, but why ?
:angry2:.................because
:geraltsad:eek:h oh ......

]:pride2: Geralt ?
:pride2:Can you do this for me ?
:smiling2:No
:angry2:: Avada Kedavra!

And on the other Side.....

Geralt?
Can you do this for me ?
:geraltthatsgood:Sure, no need to know why because you know what you are doing....
I know i can count on you......visit me after you're finished...... ;)

:smiling2: Jackpot.... :wub:

Btw, kallelinskis Avas should be on the first page..takes long to find them ^^

Last edited:
I can't say for sure but I can give you my best guess at interpreting it. She was using Emhyr to find and save Ciri from The Wild Hunt. Emhyr wanted to save her so he could use her to continue his legacy, giving her the Throne. So the arrangement would have meant a safe Ciri, but a sacrifice from Yennefer, meaning she would have to give up her beloved daughter to him. A sacrifice she was willing to make because it meant Ciri's safety. This all plays out in the Empress ending, but obviously in the Witcher ending Geralt just fakes her death, and in the other bad ending, well... you know.

So I would take the sacrifice that leaves her in an unfortunate situation to be letting go of Ciri and letting Emhyr give her the throne. The Empress ending situation.

Makes sense to me, but I can't say for sure if that's the correct interpretation.

That could actually explain why Ciri doesn't seem to trust Yennefer in the game ("I bet even Yennefer has plan for me"). In fact, that might even explain why she didn't look for Geralt, because she didn't want Geralt to find out, so Geralt wouldn't judge her.
Poor Yennefer, so eager to save her daughter that she's willing to sacrifice their bond...

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this here, since it is hard to dig through more than 900 pages. In Skellige, if you've dealt with Morkvarg before you and Yen went to Freya's garden together, they would have a different conversation.

Yennefer: You didn't mention your heroic battle with this Morkvarg character...

Geralt: You know me... Don't like to take my work home...

Yennefer: Mhm, I'm afraid you don't like home - the very concept of it. I asked you once to move to Vengerberg for me. Remember? Was that ever a row...

Geralt: Yeah... Those were the days...

I had that ending. Both of my playthrough, I will usually kill Morkvarg first before going there with Yen.

My ability to put 1 and 1 together.
Kudos, didn't know you were so good at math. :D Anyway the lack of this is so obvious that we can do 1 minus 1 and have 0.

Therefore, I quote and agree with this following post completely.
Agreed, the mum/daughter connection could've definitely been done better.

In the books Ciri/Yen were very close, almost as close as Ciri/Geralt. I thought it was cool how Ciri wanted to be known as "Cirilla of Vengerberg, daughter of Yennefer" in the last book. Yet in the games Yen often seems like the 3rd wheel.

I think CDPR didn't highlight this relationship as much because a) the focus is on Geralt (you the player) and therefore the father-daughter connection, b) maybe some scenes would seem awkward for those who went with Triss romance, though I doubt it because a breakup doesn't mean a kid favors one parent by default. The parents might feel awkward around each other, but to Ciri they're still mom and dad.

It would not have been difficult to include some softer Yen/Ciri moments, nor would it be hard to adjust some of the current Ciri/Yen and Ciri/Yen/Geralt scenes to reflect that (no added voiceovers needed). Hopefully they can address this in one of the xpacks.

---------- Updated at 12:27 PM ----------

I think it's pretty easy to understand and fairly obvious. I recommended & then talked about the game to a bunch of people who had not read any of the books and they definitely weren't confused on that point. Then again, I also don't feel like the game was lacking in exposition, character building, or screen time for anyone in particular. If I felt that anything was lacking, it was the post-climax denouement.
I'm glad that you and your friends understood that, sadly on my part I had a couple of friends who (like the one I mentioned before) played the game, payed attention, and didn't feel like Yen and Ciri had a mother-daughter relationship.
About the bold part, I'm afraid I can't agree with you here. :)

After bringing uma to emperor

:areukiddingme: Could`ve used some of that famous biting wit of yours, where`d it disappear to¬ ? I mean you were meek as novice at Aretuza called in to dean`s office.
:whut: I merely know when I can indulge my pride, and when to swallow it, unlike some others I know.
:geraltaha: Ah I see, so you show your claws to me because i`m a lowly witcher but….
:angry2: Do you really wish to do this now Geralt ? We can fight another time, in another place where the walls have no ears.

Later i Kaer Morhen
:smiling2: So you say to me in Vizima We can fight fuck another time, in another place where the walls have no ears.
:pride2: Geralt stop twisting my words :happy:, and i was meant to say fuck emperor and his plans, i work for him because i had to it`s because of Ciri
:geraltthatsgood: Now you said fuck, reading my mind again? :D
:whut: Geralt....:D
:smiling2: Unicorn ?
:pride2: Yes unicorn:D
:geraltfeelgood:

Any of you have ever wondered how Yennefer got to study in Aretuza? Because I think her parents were poor and they hated her... mostly her father, who used to abuse her. So I don't think the idea of taking her to Aretuza came from them. Maybe they got her out of the house and she ended up in the streets, where maybe Tissaia de Vries found her and discovered she was special. Very special :heart:

Last edited:
Any of you have ever wondered how Yennefer got to study in Aretuza? Because I think her parents were poor and they hated her... mostly her father, who used to abuse her. So I don't think the idea of taken her to Aretuza didn't come from them. Maybe they got her out of the house and she ended up in the streets, where maybe Tissaia de Vries found her and discovered she was special. Very special :heart:

It seems from the book flashbacks that Yen's parents weren't really rich to afford Aretuza school. Her father was really horrible man.

I don't know why (maybe because of that great artwork from deviantart) but I actually imagine that Tissaia de Vries saw her on the street and took her under her wing...

Last edited:
Any of you have ever wondered how Yennefer got to study in Aretuza? Because I think her parents were poor and they hated her... mostly her father, who used to abuse her. So I don't think the idea of taking her to Aretuza came from them. Maybe they got her out of the house and she ended up in the streets, where maybe Tissaia de Vries found her and discovered she was special. Very special :heart:
She was so ugly she wouldn't get married very soon, therefore being a quadroon and having sorcerer and elves ancestors she was sent to Aretuza.

My opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom