Crossbows. Yay or nay?

+

Crossbows. Yay or nay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that they were OP, dealing massive amounts of damage and being only limited by availability.

Very much untrue. With a proper sword build using oils and potions you were capable of dealing tremendous damage to enemies. Getting close to 1 shot kills on the Operator for instance.

Early game balance? Well again with oils and potions and a decent sword ( and by decent I mean ones easily craftable in Act 1 ) you could still do a hell lot more damage then with a dagger. Sure daggers could do damage but swords were far more effective.

Personally I am for crossbows. Much better then ridiculous dagger throwing anyway.

Last edited:
I don't care as long as a cross-bow is not a necessary weapon against certain monsters. I will just sell them as I did with uncharacteristic weapons in TW1-2. Or I might use it as long as I do not get tired to look at Ezio-Geralt running around. :)

Traps And Lures would be setting them up and returning later.
Bombs... well the animal will explode, there goes the fur/hide.
Throwing knives are just downright ineffective.

Using traps and lures would be better lore-wise than Geralt packing a crossbow though.

Very much untrue. With a proper sword build using oils and potions you were capable of dealing tremendous damage to enemies. Getting close to 1 shot kills on the Operator for instance.

Early game balance? Well again with oils and potions and a decent sword ( and by decent I mean ones easily craftable in Act 1 ) you could still do a hell lot more damage then with a dagger. Sure daggers could do damage but swords were far more effective.

Personally I am for crossbows. Much better then ridiculous dagger throwing anyway.

You are supposed to be using swords, throwing daggers are meant to be a side-weapon, yet they had more DPS than most swords in the game. And they were a safer option than swords as you could keep your distance while dishing out massive damage.

Wouldn't say dagger throwing is ridiculous - much faster than readying your crossbow, putting in the bolt, aiming (while remaining stationary), shooting, then putting it away. It just doesn't supplement Geralt's fighting style.

much faster than readying your crossbow, putting in the bolt, aiming (while remaining stationary), shooting, then putting it away. It just doesn't supplement Geralt's fighting style.
Why are we assuming it'll be used in open combat at all? The entire point of it is long range not something you would use while slicing people.

Why are we assuming it'll be used in open combat at all? The entire point of it is long range not something you would use while slicing people.

Well that's what I am saying. Geralt's good at slicing people, not at aiming a crossbow at targets that are far away from him. It's entirely contrary to his figting style.

Well he wouldn't exactly be 'fighting' anyone while using a crossbow...(and it's a crossbow, not good at aiming?)

Lore... Witcher don't use throwing knives, bombs... Geralt have their swords,. and don't use another (Season of storms)... He don't need another armors...
If you dont like crossbows/bows/throwing knives/bombs, you dont use it...

Well he wouldn't exactly be 'fighting' anyone while using a crossbow...(and it's a crossbow, not good at aiming?)

Well it doesn't eactly have a reflex sight on it. When a target is far away, even a slight movement can result in a failed shot. What I am saying is, he's an expert swordsman, not crossbowman.

Using a crossbow doesn't aid his fighting style. Pulling out a crossbow before combat is also very uncharacteristic for him. I mean, why not get some other weapons as well then? What if he encounters a highly armoured enemy. Surely a mace would come in handy then. What about a lance while he's riding his horse. Might as well, right?

He could, in theory, use all of those, nothing's stopping him, But he doesn't. Because he's Geralt.

Last edited:
Well he's more suited to fighting with a sword in close range, since that's what he's used to but nothing for long range.

Well he's more suited to fighting with a sword in close range, since that's what he's used to but nothing for long range.

He doesn't need to fight at long range. His tactics include closing in on his opponent, not keeping away from them. He doesn't have a weapon for horseback either, doesn't mean he should get one.

Last edited:
People keep comparing crossbows to bombs and throwing daggers. Those items complement Geralt's fighting style, which is close range, while a crossbow is very counter intuitive to what Geralt is used to. Plus bombs and throwing daggers don't show up next to his signature weapons, that crossbow is such an eye sore.
Oh flying monsters you say? Is a crossbow really the best weapon against a huge flying monstrosity? Like one shot would really make a difference, and by the time Geralt would reload, he would be toast.

(well we don't know if mounted combat made it in or not and he does have swords)

As stated before and I will again, I'll wait and see how they've implemented it not pass off my uninformed opinion as judgement.

You are supposed to be using swords, throwing daggers are meant to be a side-weapon, yet they had more DPS than most swords in the game. And they were a safer option than swords as you could keep your distance while dishing out massive damage.

Wouldn't say dagger throwing is ridiculous - much faster than readying your crossbow, putting in the bolt, aiming (while remaining stationary), shooting, then putting it away. It just doesn't supplement Geralt's fighting style.

They did not have more DPS. They had more base damage, that does not equate to DPS nor does it to an accurate damage assessment.

Geralt on his with one of the weaker swords in the game does more damage then one of the highest end daggers in the game.

People keep comparing crossbows to bombs and throwing daggers. Those items complement Geralt's fighting style, which is close range, while a crossbow is very counter intuitive to what Geralt is used to. Plus bombs and throwing daggers don't show up next to his signature weapons, that crossbow is such an eye sore.
Oh flying monsters you say? Is a crossbow really the best weapon against a huge flying monstrosity? Like one shot would really make a difference, and by the time Geralt would reload, he would be toast.

What about hunting?
Geralt don't use other weapons than swords...
Google translator:
,,-All three are darn good sword. Better than Michelet. So I would suggest a more secure, long-range weapon. For example, those Nilfgaardian stars. Do you want you sell a few pieces. I've had a lot.
- Do not buy it. This is impractical. Noise in flight.
- The whistle works psychologically. It can paralyze the victim fear.
- Possibly. But perhaps warn. I zdążyłbym before the repeal.
- If you could see in you throw, yes. I know you can dodge the arrow or a bolt ... But in the back ...
- On the back too.
- Bullshit.
- Let's be - said Geralt cold. - I turn my face to the likeness of your dad's an idiot, and you throw me the Orion ...''
I said one more time, don't like crossbows? Don't use it...

Yeah, bombs and throwing daggers are more like a thing he does on the fly, not a completely different weapon that requires a change in his tactics. And yes, placing it next to his swords is just... No.

As for flying creatures. You guys do realise that they must actually get close to Geralt in order to make an attack, so he would get opportunities to hit them with a sword either way. Remaining still while carefully aiming a crossbow at a fast-moving creature that is making a dive for you hardly seems like the best tactic. Probably better to lure them to a place where there's less space for them to fly around or to take cover so that their angle of attack is limited.

I want to draw your attention to a moment in the books. The hunt for the golden dragon. The dragon was at long range, yet never did Geralt ask for a ranged weapon against a flying creature that is far away from him when he finally decided to fight the beast.

Geralt turned around and, with a slow movement, tightened the buckle on the bandolier across his chest by two holes. He raised his right hand to check that the hilt of his sword was well positioned. The poet looked at him wide-eyed.
"Geralt, you're going to..."
"Yes," replied the witcher, calmly. "There is a limit as to what is possible. I've had enough of all this. What are you going to do, Jaskier? Will you stay or will you follow Niedamir's troops?"
The troubadour bent to carefully put his lute down against a stone, then straightened up. "I'll stay. What are you talking about? Limits of the possible? I reserve the right to use this expression as the title of my ballad."
"It might be your last ballad."
"Geralt."
"Yes?"
"Don't kill it... if you can."
"A sword is a sword, Jaskier. When it's drawn..."
"Try."
"I shall try."

They did not have more DPS. They had more base damage, that does not equate to DPS nor does it to an accurate damage assessment.

Geralt on his with one of the weaker swords in the game does more damage then one of the highest end daggers in the game.

Whatever you say, all I know is that it was a lot easier to handle enemies by spamming R (which is what I mean by higher DPS) than it was to properly position myself and strike at a safe moment with a sword.

Also, daggers did anywhere between 30-70, probably even more, base damage, a lot more than the weakest sword in the game, so I don't know where that's coming from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom