Baptism of Fire is out!

+
That's the MMPD release I believe. Try the link in the op for a better cover and trade release.

Also this might clear it up: http://www.thepassivevoice.com/04/2013/trade-versus-mass-market-oh-the-humanity/

The difference is actually the Publishers the one already available is by Gollancz and is the UK Version. The other version is published by Orbit and is the US version (these are the ones I own). I'm fairly certain the cover is not the only difference but having not had a chance to read the UK release I can't tell you what if any differences there are.

The difference is actually the Publishers the one already available is by Gollancz and is the UK Version. The other version is published by Orbit and is the US version (these are the ones I own). I'm fairly certain the cover is not the only difference but having not had a chance to read the UK release I can't tell you what if any differences there are.

Both Orbit and Gollancz answer to Hachette Livre. Orbit is Hachette USA's subsidiary for SFF titles; Gollancz is Orion Publishing's (now only another Hachette regional division) subsidiary for SFF titles in the UK. Neither has so much as a figment of their former independence; the Victor Gollancz we used to know is long dead, and so is his press. Victor Gollancz was a great man, and this makes me sad.

I think Orbit's cover is merely a conscious concession to the premise that Sapkowski's books will be attractive (mostly or entirely) to those who know the Witcher games. As Sapkowski had no following of any kind in the US before the games, even if it may be a cowardly and inartistic choice, it is not a commercially stupid one.

Last edited:
Are they any different? amazon hows things differently, I don't want a book that's awkward and strange to the series :/ I want witcher 2 on their covers.

There is no difference, just the cover.

Ah ok thanks for correcting me.

Both Orbit and Gollancz answer to Hachette Livre. Orbit is Hachette USA's subsidiary for SFF titles; Gollancz is Orion Publishing's (now only another Hachette regional division) subsidiary for SFF titles in the UK. Neither has so much as a figment of their former independence; the Victor Gollancz we used to know is long dead, and so is his press. Victor Gollancz was a great man, and this makes me sad.

I think Orbit's cover is merely a conscious concession to the premise that Sapkowski's books will be attractive (mostly or entirely) to those who know the Witcher games. As Sapkowski had no following of any kind in the US before the games, even if it may be a cowardly and inartistic choice, it is not a commercially stupid one.

I guess even the book business is cut throat. What a world

Was this translation announced? If so what other books are announced of being translated? For me this comes as a surprise.

Was this translation announced? If so what other books are announced of being translated? For me this comes as a surprise.
When Time of Contempt was out last year, at the back cover there was an advertisement of Baptism of Fire, but i haven't seen any other announcement.

Guys, what about the fan translation? I mean, how do they compare to each other?

All this time since I finished reading Times of Contempt (Jan/14) I eagerly waited for the BoF's official translation to be published, but I've always read a lot of complaints regarding the way the series in general were brought to English.

Can anyone here shed a light on this subject?

I know the fan translation may have been discussed before, but only now we can put them toe to toe

Im from Croatia and i know that Sword of Destiny is translated to Serbian but that is a bit different,
so thanks mate, i owe you big time ;).

Ah. Now I don't know whether I want to wait. I bought the other books digitally and I'll still get a lower price if I wait...

I am still waiting for Times of Contempt(Disdain would sound sweeter) and I might as well wait, since I'm buried in pile of work and might as well see it as my prize after I'm done. Now Baptism of Fire is out and I have to order it too. Two prizes, yay! But since many here are more knowledgeable about this than I am I might as well ask.

The Last Wish was out before the first witcher game. I know this because on the back of the cover they advertise the soon to be released Witcher 1. So 2007 then. I bought the Last Wish and Blood of Elves four years back. The books have been out for what...20 years? And translated into many languages in that time? Why has it taken so long for it to be translated to English and what is taking so long still? :ermm: Know that I'm glad and grateful that something is happening...they are on their way. I now have two books to look forward to, and might as well re-read the previous two in the process as I like them so much.

But I still wonder what(really) happened to this process...and what stalled it in the first place.

I am still waiting for Times of Contempt(Disdain would sound sweeter) and I might as well wait, since I'm buried in pile of work and might as well see it as my prize after I'm done. Now Baptism of Fire is out and I have to order it too. Two prizes, yay! But since many here are more knowledgeable about this than I am I might as well ask.

The Last Wish was out before the first witcher game. I know this because on the back of the cover they advertise the soon to be released Witcher 1. So 2007 then. I bought the Last Wish and Blood of Elves four years back. The books have been out for what...20 years? And translated into many languages in that time? Why has it taken so long for it to be translated to English and what is taking so long still? :ermm: Know that I'm glad and grateful that something is happening...they are on their way. I now have two books to look forward to, and might as well re-read the previous two in the process as I like them so much.

But I still wonder what(really) happened to this process...and what stalled it in the first place.

It's a story as old as printing. Book publishing is a for-profit business, and the cost of translating, printing, and marketing a book by an author unknown in your market has to be justified -- or it won't happen. The only reason there is any Sapkowski in English is that the first game provided enough of a demand to risk translating two volumes. Four years later, the second game opened the market to two more. The sales of these books or of the third game may provide enough of a foundation to translate the rest.

It's a story as old as printing. Book publishing is a for-profit business, and the cost of translating, printing, and marketing a book by an author unknown in your market has to be justified -- or it won't happen. The only reason there is any Sapkowski in English is that the first game provided enough of a demand to risk translating two volumes. Four years later, the second game opened the market to two more. The sales of these books or of the third game may provide enough of a foundation to translate the rest.

Thank you for answering! Yeah, that seems logical but...harsh. I mean, Sapkowski's writing is that good, better than good, and I think it deserved the credit and faith from the market long ago. Sure, I never heard of Sapkowski until the game was released but still...I should of have! :crybaby: I've seen all kinds of fantasy titles getting all kinds of attention, but they are nowhere near Sapkoski. But still, The Last Wish came before The Witcher game. Someone had to believe in the books before the game was released. Oh well, better late than never I guess. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom