Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
But to be sent there you need money , that's why most magicians come from rich families...however it doesn't seem to be the case with Yen (so we're wondering how she got there :p )
Well, she didn't want to talk about that. ;_;

Translated from the italian version of Time of Contempt, please forgive any mistake.

"Yen?"
"Yes?"
"When you studied in Aretuza... and you slept in a small room like this... you had a dolly without which you could not fall asleep? And which you put on the writing desk during the day?"
"No," replied Yennefer fidgeting beside him. "I did not have any dolly. Do not ask me questions about that time, Geralt. Please do not make them. "

From what I understood from the books, her mother hit her too. And I don't think she or her husband gave any orens to improve Yen's life.

Yeah but you know, mother is always a mother. You can only go so far until you break. It's not about money, I think she was just trying to get there in poverty and was eventually picked up by Tissaia, either during the road or at its end. I don't know if I should go that far and say that Nimue's journey at the end of SoS was a reference to how Yennefer got there by Sapkowski, I imagine it was similar but in far worse conditions. Village to city, barn to sewer. That's my own interpretation.

Last edited:
"Yen?"
"Yes?"
"When you studied in Aretuza... and you slept in a small room like this... you had a dolly without which you could not fall asleep? And which you put on the writing desk during the day?"
"No," replied Yennefer fidgeting beside him. "I did not have any dolly. Do not ask me questions about that time, Geralt. Please do not make them. "

Me while reading this part

I think back when Yennefer was a child magic wasn't as popular as it is in Ciri childhood days. So sorceress like witchers were searching for ugly babies in order to take them away and make them study magic. Remember that beautifull girls were doomed to be a wife so I think they were short on students.

---------- Updated at 11:58 AM ----------

Yeah but you know, mother is always a mother. You can only go so far until you break. It's not about money, I think she was just trying to get there in poverty and was eventually picked up by Tissaia, either during the road or at its end. I don't know if I should go that far and say that Nimue's journey at the end of SoS was a reference to how Yennefer got there by Sapkowski, but I imagine it was similar but in far worse conditions. Village to city, barn to sewer. That's my interpretation.
But I don't think Yennefer was dreaming to be a sorceress :\ I really think that in those days you didn't need to pay money in order to send your child in Aretusa. And her parents were happy to send her away...

It's not about her dreams or goals, rather just escaping from agonizing childhood and seeking for some shelter.
Which is why I imagine her destination was most likely influenced by somebody in some way, since she didn't
really have any real notion of her future, she simply wanted to escape the pain. It's all just my own speculation.

Last edited:
I don't know if I should go that far and say that Nimue's journey at the end of SoS was a reference to how Yennefer got there by Sapkowski, I imagine it was similar but in far worse conditions.
Nah, it would be difficult for a hunchback to make all this way to the Aretuzae by herself. And she was younger than 13 when she passed her entrance exams, but Nimue was 16-17, plus healthy. I believe her parents brought her in Aretuzae themselves, because Yen was showing signs of magic and it was a better place, than orphanage. She was depressed and suicidal, because she thought, that no one loves her, she is ugly, deformed, abandoned. I believe Tissaia saw the strength of her will, she even told that her cuts was real, deep, she wanted to die, that was not tantrum from a teenager who was too scared to really die, but her intentions was real. She was really strong and brave girl, to be not scared of death in her 11-12 years.

Nah, it would be difficult for a hunchback to make all this way to the Aretuzae by herself. And she was younger than 13 when she passed her entrance exams, but Nimue was 16-17, plus healthy. I believe her parents brought her in Aretuzae themselves, because Yen was showing signs of magic and it was a better place, than orphanage. She was depressed and suicidal, because she thought, that no one loves her, she is ugly, deformed, abandoned. I believe Tissaia saw the strength of her will, she even told that her cuts was real, deep, she wanted to die, that was not tantrum from a teenager who was too scared to really die, but her intentions was real. She was really strong and brave girl, to be not scared of death in her 11-12 years.

Loved your last sentence ;)

But I disagree. I don't think her parents sent her to Aretuza. When a father/mother hates and hits her/his own child (the most important thing for real parents), that "person" doesn't worry or have any mercy for anyone or anything. Not when your father hates and abuses you and at the same time, your mother hits and blames you because you're the reason your husband sleeps with other women, among other things. They didn't give a shit about Yen. She was just bullshit for them.

‘Lady Yennefer! No! I do not want to be alone!’

‘Ciri,’ the sorceress said softly. ‘Once I told you everything I do is for your own good. Please trust me. Run.’

Ciri was already on the stairs when she heard Yennefer’s voice again. The sorceress stood beside a pillar, leaning her forehead against it.

‘I love you, my daughter,’ she said, her voice muffled. ‘Run.’

:cry:

“Ciri said something else, didn’t she? Something only you heard. Tell me what it was.”

“No,” he protested and his voice quivered. “No, Triss.”

“Please.”

“She wasn’t speaking to me.”

“I know. She was speaking to me. Tell me, please.”

“After coming to… When I picked her up… She whispered: ‘Forget about him. Don’t torture him.’”

“I won’t,” she said quietly. “But I can’t forget. Forgive me.”

“I am the one who ought to be asking for forgiveness. And not only asking you.”

You love her that much,” she stated, not asking.

That much,” he admitted in a whisper after a long moment of silence.

-Blood of Elves

I don't think her parents sent her to Aretuza.
Maybe, but I just think it's illogical for a girl to make a difficult way to the school (it is really difficult to hunchback to walk, they have instant pain in the back, and if she had hunch because of rickets, instant weakness and malnutrition) and then attempt a suicide right away. That's because I think her parents or only mother brought her in Aretuzae themselves. Maybe they knew someone who was going to that area and gave them the girl.

Maybe, but I just think it's illogical for a girl to make a difficult way to the school (it is really difficult to hunchback to walk, they have instant pain in the back, and if she had hunch because of rickets, instant weakness and malnutrition) and then attempt a suicide right away. That's because I think her parents or only mother brought her in Aretuzae themselves. Maybe they knew someone who was going to that area and gave them the girl.

I agree with you. My theory is someone else put the eyes on her and discovered she was special - had talent for magic. Maybe that someone saw her on the streets, who knows! We'll have to ask Mr. Sapkowski :D

Last edited:
Kudos, didn't know you were so good at math. :D Anyway the lack of this is so obvious that we can do 1 minus 1 and have 0.
I'm not that great at math tbh, but if little old me can use whatever brains I possess to put 1 and 1 together and come to the correct conclusion, surely superior minds, such as your friends can too.

‘Lady Yennefer! No! I do not want to be alone!’

‘Ciri,’ the sorceress said softly. ‘Once I told you everything I do is for your own good. Please trust me. Run.’

Ciri was already on the stairs when she heard Yennefer’s voice again. The sorceress stood beside a pillar, leaning her forehead against it.

‘I love you, my daughter,’ she said, her voice muffled. ‘Run.’

:anger:Everybody has their plans for me, even Yennefer. - CDPR

My theory is someone else put the eyes on her and discovered she was special - had talent for magic. Maybe that someone saw her on the streets, who knows! We'll have to ask Mr. Sapkowski
Very likely. Someone helped her to go to Aretuzae, and he is a good guy/gal =) Eh, I hope Pan Sapkowski will write another book, or two, or three. Ahh, the dreams :cheers4:

I'm not that great at math tbh, but if little old me can use whatever brains I possess to put 1 and 1 together and come to the correct conclusion, surely superior minds, such as your friends can too.
Whoa, good advice. They like math a lot. I will tell them, thankies.

:anger:Everybody has their plans for me, even Yennefer. - CDPR
Must not show affection. Yennefer is a cold rude witch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom