The Witcher mod for Crusader Kings 2

+
Just to please the Fixer I started a new map, the North is pretty much finished. I still have to make up tens of counties in Nilfgaard. Apparantly nothing is known about for instance Etolia. What should I do with that? Give it a Greek touch because there is a Greek region called Aetolia?

Here's my (unfinished) map based upon the map provided with Witcher 2:

Please tell me if there is something very wrong with the map. By the way most of the county name in the North East (Kaedwen) are made up If you have better suggestions I'll use yours ;)/>/>

Looks good to me. Maybe ask Vixarvardis(think I spelled that right), he's pro Nilfgaard, so he might have a good idea.

By the way: If you know good county names (both canon and non canon), put them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajk1ElJ-iLQqdFJHR1pBTjNZWG10Rm9iTUdKc2VtaGc#gid=0

The page about "usable names" is dedicated to people who have names I am planning to use for county or barony names (e.g. Tancarville).

@Cs

Vivaxardas is the name, I was close at first. Might want to try KnightofPhoenix as well, he's very political. Once I get off work in T-minus three hours I will do some research on it as well.

Haha, man you're awesome! Great job! I think you've just created the perfect map, even the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard are seamlessly merged and balanced. Brilliant work.

For the names, there's a collection of Elder Speech words used by Sapkowski and their translations, words used for some cities and places too. For example, Aedd Gynvael translates to "shard of ice", Ard Carraigh to "golden mountain", Gwendeith to "white flame". So we could make something like this, for starters. For the more "real world" names, such as Maribor or Brugge, we might just make them up by following some context rules (like using similar names within the same kingdoms). Of course, with counties it's a bit more difficult, but for placing some towns in the wide Empire blank spaces, like Mettina or Etolia, it could work.

I remember reading something about the merging of actual languages that Sapkowski did to give a name to some cities, but I can't really recall where. But of course, any help from lore experts would be appreciated as well, or even a personal opinion, I guess.

And I really want to stress the fact that I very much appreciate the effort you've made to create such a great map. Trust me, the result is well worth it.

@Fixer
I was pondering something similar for the "missing" regions. Every one gets one (or more) real life cultures I base it upon. Please give suggestions, I am can't really decide right now. The Nilfgaardian ones are most important as I need to add in counties.

Elvish language: Welsh is pretty near to Elvish. Many people and city names can be traced there (Iorweth, Tretogor to only name a few).
Redania: Sapkowski's version of Poland. I might mix in Polish city/castle names here and there but I'll try to avoid diacritical letters like Ł.
Poviss: Lithuania, maybe. The first ruler was called Trojden which is the name of a Lithuanian Grand duke. Plus Poland and Lithuania were connected in a manner similar to Redania and Poviss.
Kaedwen: I made it some weird mixture of Canon counties and county names of Welsh+Irish and German/Old Prussian city names. I somehow always thought that Henselt is Sapkowski's mean German ruler (although Nilfgaard could also be an allegory for the Third German Empire). Russia would be a good choice as well.
Aedirn: No idea. Dovydas of Kovir invented many rulers but I still need more barony-names.
Lyria and Rivia.: No idea. Italy maybe?
Skellige: A mixture of Welsh (Skelligeans speak an Elven dialect) and "Scandinavian". Eist, Crach etc
Redania: The English version of the games gave it an French touch (en:Jacques de Aldersberg,pl:Jakob z Aldersberg) but I am reluctant to do that as well.

NILFGAARD: Welsh mostly. They speak an Elven dialect.
Toussaint: French. That's pretty much canon.
Maecht: I am for Frisian/Dutch as Maecht sounds somewhat Dutch.
Nazair: No idea. Assengard has Nordic roots (Asgard anyone). Rhys-Rhun sounds Welsh(=Elven) once again.
Etolia: No idea. Aetolia is a Greek region. From the books there isn't anything known about this region
Ebbing: No idea.
Geso: No idea. Luckily many castle and city names are recorded.
Metinna: No idea. Metinna sounds similar to Medina (Arabian holy city). Neunreuth is obviously German, Forgeham English.
Vicovaro: Near to Nilfgaard, Welsh probably
Ymlac: Near to Nilfgaard, Welsh probably

etc.

Any suggestion for "parent cultures" for these regions would be appreciated. If someone suggests that Ebbing is English I'd roll with it. Or if there is some fictional region I could borrow from I'd use that one as well.

@Yurtex
If you can spare some time, read this: http://www.sapkowski.su/modules.php?name=Articles&pa=showarticle&artid=112#21
I can't understand half of it but it seems like the guy who wrote it gave it a lot of thought.

Redania is kind of Polish-English mix, more in polish favour. Its coat of arms is equal to polish and novigrad is based on russian novgorod(which much closer to Poland then UK), they both one of the first cities in the region.

Nilfgaard is defiantly Holy Roman Empire(one of the only two empires in medieval Europe), with a bit of Rome (First one empire) and Byzantine Empire(Eastern Roman). And polish winged hussars.

Ebbing hispanic maybe?

About that link sure I do.

I never really saw the connection between Novigrad and Novgorod (although it seems to be obvious). I thought that it is a mixture of Danzig and Venice ...

Holy Roman Empire? More the "classical" Roman Empire. The HRE never really conquered much land. It pretty much was in decline for most of its existance. Nilfgaards colors are in line with the HRE, though.

Yeah... bowing out of this one, geez I like a complicated game but good gods! I found myself keeping a notebook, and I was just a damned prince. Awesome game but I guess I just can't handle the time it takes to really play. Best of luck on your mod man, I'll just be over in the corner, pissing more money in the wind. :/

Csszr said:
Yeah... bowing out of this one, geez I like a complicated game but good gods! I found myself keeping a notebook, and I was just a damned prince. Awesome game but I guess I just can't handle the time it takes to really play. Best of luck on your mod man, I'll just be over in the corner, pissing more money in the wind. :/

That's a pity.

Crusader Kings might be overwhelming at first but after you've got the hang of it it turns out that much of the complexity isn't really complex at all. Just start somewhere and learn from your mistakes. People on the official forums always suggest Ireland for a first game. You can learn many aspects of the game without the threat of being overrun by someone much bigger. Playing as one of the "big boys" (HRE, Byzantium, France, ...) isn't with what you should start. If you want to delve into the total war aspect of the game, a Spanish reconquista is always fun to play. Just don't refrain from reloading if something went wrong - Iberia is a dangerous place.

It's similar to the fights in Witcher 2: Many people complain how difficult they are. But if you have played for a while you'll learn the little tricks that allow you to succeed (for me it was rolling and quening).

Hm, I suppose I'll give it another go when I have time since I have paid for it. I started out as prince of Denmark. Freaking dad made my brother heir before he died. Then I supported him because he made me his heir. Then he threw me in jail and I died and my brother would not freaking die. That was just frustrating.

Csszr said:
Hm, I suppose I'll give it another go when I have time since I have paid for it. I started out as prince of Denmark. Freaking dad made my brother heir before he died. Then I supported him because he made me his heir. Then he threw me in jail and I died and my brother would not freaking die. That was just frustrating.
Lol

Yeah CK takes a lot of time, try also playing as Russian duchies, they are big enough and compete for the kingdom.
Will help you learning de jure stuff and how it works(plus some free holy wars). Then you may try some thing bigger.

I'll look into that as well. Putting seven hours straight into it and not getting anywhere was just an unlucky first time I guess.

Okay, so I went and did some research mostly on the Nilfgaardian provinces, and what I got is mostly a headache and a lot of confusion.

After that, I thought of unifying the counties on that awesome map, and this is what came out.

So while the Northern Kingdoms are known and defined, I still have a lot of doubts about the correct location of whatever lies below the Yaruga. Based on what the Wiki says, the indication we have are the following.

- Just below the Yaruga, from west to east there are Cintra, Upper Sodden, Angren and then the Blue Mountains. So far so good.

- South of Cintra lies Nazair: the sea to the west, Cintra and Upper Sodden to the north, Mag Turga to the east and the river Yelena to the south, beyond which lies Mettina.

- Mag Turga is between the Amell Mountains and Tir Tochair (another mountain range), then there's probably Toussaint, which lies in some mountains. Seems to be placed south of Angren and east of Mag Turga.

- Mettina is bordered by the Yelena to the north, the Sylte river to the south and the sea to the west. East of Mettina is Geso, and south there are Ebbing and Maecht.

- Geso is west of Tir Tochair and is separated from Maecht by the Velda river to the south. I'd place it below Toussaint and almost at the same height of Mettina.

- Maecht is described as bordering with Mettina (north), Geso (north and east) and Ebbing (south).

- Ebbing is a large province which goes from the sea to the west to Maecht and the Korath desert to the east.

- Of Gemmera we only know that it's in the south; Etolia is "on the southern coast", Vicovaro is "one of the southernmost provinces", and Ymlac and Rowan are close to each other, but the latter is quite far from the capital.

All this considered, I tried to place them as best as I could without touching the borders, but there's still some conflict with the plethora of custom and official maps. Opinions?

Csszr said:
I'll look into that as well. Putting seven hours straight into it and not getting anywhere was just an unlucky first time I guess.

If you need help getting into the game (which is perfectly understandable, since it has a quite unique gameplay), the community at Paradox´s forums is quite awesome and will surely help you. As someone mentioned above, Ireland is widely considered to be a "training island" as you get accostumed to the game´s mechanics.

To the OP: you´re doing a great job, keep it up! I´m sure lots of people both here and in paradoxplaza will be very grateful!

@Fixer

First of, here's the most recent version of that map: http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/843/map5c.png
Sadly I might have lost that particular version but I'll just redraw it in case. The counties in Metinna were too large after all

You got most of my provinces right. I say "my provinces" as I have played around with the borders of the Nilfgaardian provinces a bit to correspond better to the - in book terms - more accurate Ortelius map.

One of my changes was to put in Toussaint. In the version I initially posted Toussaint is way too large (you labelled it Geso). I shrinked it in the version I linked above.

Domino effects: Maecht = Geso
Gemmeria = Maecht
Vicovaro = Gemmeria
Ymlac / Rowan = Vicovaro

and Talger = Creyden

Both Ymlac and Rowan will be duchies in the southernmost kingdom, Nilfgaard.

The names and the placement of the regions are mostly based on this map: http://wikipedia.arkadia.rpg.pl/wiki/upload/f/f0/Mapa_Ishtar.jpg

This is the map the maps for both games are based upon. Originally it was a fan made map but it was used by CD Projekt for their own map. Sadly they copied the mistakes over (there is no Thanedd island!).

Again, it would be awesome if you would be willing to get involved with the map making. I seem to have two left hands as I constantly fail to put a height map together for those 2/3 that are still completely flat.
If you (and anybody else) wants to play around with the map, download my PSD file (Photoshop is needed): https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ahcmetch2zf23z/map5.psd

@ALL

I tried getting help in the official forums with the map but the response isn't very promising.
If one of you guys, maybe you, the person who reads this right now is willing to step in, this mod will eventually reach a point where it could be released as an alpha version. I just can't get that damn height map right.

@JonStryker
Heh was just about to ask you .psd, no worries I can do hight map as well as normal one(bump map).
Terrain map is need to be redone too.

Yurtex said:
@JonStryker
Heh was just about to ask you .psd, no worries I can do hight map as well as normal one(bump map).
Terrain map is need to be redone too.

Nice :)/>
If you have questions, you can contact me via Skype I am called klaus(dot)dworschak there (as well as in real life).

Top Bottom