- Blue (rare)
- Purple (epic)
- Gold (legendary)
[*]

You have the following quality:
- Bronze
- Silver
- Gold

This means you can have a golden rarity with a golden quality (double gold!). This ambiguity is confusing. I suggest renaming (and recoloring) golden legendary to red. Then you have white -> blue -> purple -> red.

* One could argue for the color yellow, but that will still cause confusing because of the similarity.

Well, one is a dot, the other is the entire card's body. Therefore I personally don't think there's much room for confusion.
If anything, I'd argue for having that dot becoming a more recognizable symbol.

I see the confusion. I would rather they change the rarity colors and keep the 3 tier colors as those were part of the original witcher 3 gwent, but it can get confusing discussing gold cards

I think its ok the way it is, you either have a gold card or a legendary card (gold is only visual indication); or you can say you have a gold legendary card or a double gold card when thats the case. IMO it makes sense the way it is.

Moktrizz 's suggestion 4 of 4 ( cards prices)

I must admit it is very confusing. The price to create or mill of bronze, silver and gold cards... of commun, rare, epic , legendary and animated cards.

I think it would be a lot user friendly to set a different price for each coloured border cards and raise it by its rarity. Instead of having them all mix up.

I think this would be a good change, but may I make one additional suggestion in the same vein - I would like it to be white (common) - blue (rare) - emerald green (epic) - a deep red (legendary). This would help those of us who are color blind and cannot currently tell the difference between the blue and purple of rares and epics (like me). Most people who have a deficiency in perceiving red light will have this issue. Making the shade of green a bright emerald and the shade of red dark should keep the colors from confusing persons who are red/green colorblind. Just a thought ...

Rawls;n7401020 said:
I think this would be a good change, but may I make one additional suggestion in the same vein - I would like it to be white (common) - blue (rare) - emerald green (epic) - a deep red (legendary). This would help those of us who are color blind and cannot currently tell the difference between the blue and purple of rares and epics (like me). Most people who have a deficiency in perceiving red light will have this issue. Making the shade of green a bright emerald and the shade of red dark should keep the colors from confusing persons who are red/green colorblind. Just a thought ...

Funny. For me it's difficult between the common and rare (white and blue).

Lantea;n7247270 said:
I think its ok the way it is, you either have a gold card or a legendary card (gold is only visual indication); or you can say you have a gold legendary card or a double gold card when thats the case. IMO it makes sense the way it is.

It makes sense to you, but it is confusing for people who are just starting out. Personally, it did take me a moment to figure it out. I think 4RM3D's suggestions make a lot of sense: it needs to be made clearer that bronze/silver/gold affects the way the cards behave on the board (how they're summoned, what affects them, etc.) and is something entirely different to rarity. What's more, the whole "non-gold" thing is really clunky and looks clumsy when it appears in card texts.

The fact that a card's rarity and quality are both indicated by a colour scheme is bound to lead to confusion - even if they are indicated by a 'square' (not sure what else to call it) in the bottom right-hand corner and the border, respectively.

Bearing Rawls' comment about colour perception in mind, maybe we could make the rarity indicator a shape, or an icon of some sort so that we have a system whereby a card's border colour indicates its quality (how it behaves on the board) and its rarity 'badge' would tell us if it's a common, rare, epic or legendary. Given that rarity is only really relevant at the collection management level - not in play - I don't see why it functionally needs to be as prominent in terms of visual display as the bronze/silver/gold system.

Just make it a 'badge' (moon < planet < star < sun; cross < triangle < square < star - anything else you can think of, most likely something related to the Witcher universe) that will be somewhere in the card art (maybe integrated into the border decorations at the top-left or somewhere in the card text box). You could even make the icons or badges stand out in some way in the card management and shop sections of the game by highlighting them so that the rarity is immediately obvious.

Anyway, just a few ideas here - but I think this could be a way to not only make the systems clearer to new players (and to colour-blind people by the same token) and an opportunity to make the card art a little sexier than just little coloured squares. Not sure if they have a redesign planned at this stage in development, but there you have it.

TLDR: Why not use differently-shaped icons instead of colours to indicate rarity?

Gwentastic;n7401680 said:
What's more, the whole "non-gold" thing is really clunky and looks clumsy when it appears in card texts.

Can we find a short word that would fit better?

TLDR: Why not use differently-shaped icons instead of colours to indicate rarity?

I think you have a really good idea. In various games, I am really glad if the color is not the only difference, because that usually makes it difficult for me when there are two alike. If it was color + symbol, that would be really brilliant.

I think this is a great suggestion :)
There is almost no problems with changing the color, except ofc orange typically being the "legendary color". But even that varies from game to game.

It makes sense to you, but it is confusing for people who are just starting out.

What would actually make sense is a kind of manual that explaings border colors (quality) and dot color (rarity).
And things like you can only have 3 bronze, 1 silver/gold card of the same name in a deck.

Rawls;n7401020 said:
confusing persons who are <insert color> colorblind.

That would be useful. I think it should be possible to have different options for different types of color blindness, or just a custom one. I hope cards are just a bunch of info like "name (+ID)", quality, rarity. Then the color blind option would only run on the user's machine and not affect server load.

That dot doesn't have to be a dot. It could be letters or symbols designating rarity.

Example 1:
C -Common
R -Rare (I would actually prefer U - Uncommon)
E -Epic
L -Legendary

Example 2:
1 Star - Common
2 Stars - Rare
3 Stars - Epic
4 Stars - Legendary

Example 3:
Circle - Common
Triangle - Rare
Square - Epic
Star - Legandary

An of course different colors for each could be added as well.

fw_k

Forum regular
indeed! that colored square indicating the rarity of the card is so small even in the full view screen.. it's kind of a pixel hunt. a colored symbol would be a much better solution.

and i don't know about others, but i have a hard time discerning among bronze and silver cards on the board. the frame is so thin that they all look almost the same. the golds stand out a little bit with the more shiny yellowish border, but it's simply not obvious enough if i look at a full board to clearly see which is which out there, without making much effort.
very confusing.

fw_k;n8641610 said:
indeed! that colored square indicating the rarity of the card is so small even in the full view screen.. it's kind of a pixel hunt. a colored symbol would be a much better solution. and i don't know about others, but i have a hard time discerning among bronze and silver cards on the board. the frame is so thin that they all look almost the same. the golds stand out a little bit with the more shiny yellowish border, but it's simply not obvious enough if i look at a full board to clearly see which is which out there, without making much effort. very confusing.

Wow, nice necro.... they already "fixed" the ambiguity problem among rarity and quality, all legendaries are gold now (which made that little square on the cards pretty much useless).

I don't mind it how it is at the minute, but having a green rarity (legendary) would be awesome as that is the witcher item color in game.

Top Bottom