[BUG] - V's Shadow Completely Breaks Apart With RTX

+
As of 2.0; with RTX enabled V's shadow will completely break apart because RTX makes both 1st & 3rd person models cast shadows, which the player is absolutely not meant to see and wasn't able to see in 1.6 with RTX.

In 2.0 the player now sees;
  • Limbs and torso detaching depending on various actions (swimming or taking out weapons)
  • Spine breaking and entire body twisting in unnatural ways
  • Having 4 arms and 2 torsos because it renders both 1st and 3rd person models
  • Weird spiky shadows on arms and hands in 1st person because 3rd person outfit models (which do not have rolled up sleeves) are casting shadows onto arms and hands
Here's an example how RTX makes both 1st person and 3rd person models cast shadows;

Here's a comparison between VANILLA and RTX shadows;

And here's an example of all the numerous shadow bugs listed above;

• Spiky shadows on arms and hands because the 3rd person outfit model is casting shadows onto them
  • 4 arms and 2 torsos because both 1st & 3rd person models are casting shadows
  • Limbs and torso detaching as V is moving around, which the player is not meant to be seeing as it's the whole reason why the game has no 3rd person view.

Last edited:
They need to change the body rig entirely, probably not possible now since the game is nearly at the end of it's lifecycle after PL drops in few days

This problem is more apparent with Path Tracing+RR as this extra shadow is lagging due to old temporal data or smth? Strangelly it is completelly absent with pure Path Tracing without Ray Reconstruction as this one seem not to use this second shadow model at all?

Anyway I somehow managed to bug this shadow out so it was not updating (but it fixed itself somehow latter):

They need to change the body rig entirely, probably not possible now since the game is nearly at the end of it's lifecycle after PL drops in few days
Yep. If they weren't going to do that before the send-off, it ain't happening now.

This brings me some release day PTSD;

But yeah the way the rig was done in the game I sadly have to say, is amateurish. Because it's incredibly obvious the body is breaking apart pieces of itself to provide a "1st person view" (as can be seen by V's entire torso vanishing after pulling a gun in this very video and then its shadow displaying clear as day the end result), but this is just beyond ridiculous looking.

Is V a human or a freaking pretzel! :D

Even 1st person view mods in 2014 for Skyrim did not look this terrible. Just look at this;

This brings me some release day PTSD;

But yeah the way the rig was done in the game I sadly have to say, is amateurish. Because it's incredibly obvious the body is breaking apart pieces of itself to provide a "1st person view" (as can be seen by V's entire torso vanishing after pulling a gun in this very video and then its shadow displaying clear as day the end result), but this is just beyond ridiculous looking.

Is V a human or a freaking pretzel! :D

Even 1st person view mods in 2014 for Skyrim did not look this terrible. Just look at this;
This is why people like me think "going FP was a choice" is BS statement, yeah, it looks you had no other choice but FP with that kind of rig.

The head showing actually looks correct because you’re looking down but they way your head flicks up when you holder is odd.

I have a very similar, hand shadow issue that occurred out of nowhere. I had not noticed it until today and thought one of my mods broke something because I had done a bit of body swapping.... so I uninstalled them and the issue persisted.

I will attempt an install repair later

The hand shadows are caused by long-sleeve clothes. If your character is wearing any jackets and such, remove them and you'll notice the shadow on the hands go away.

It's an in-game bug, so nothing to do with mods nor game's files.

So figured out what exactly is going on with shadows since 2.0;

It's the headless 1st person view model itself that is for some reason casting shadows since 2.0 and thus creating this shadow monstrosity. Here's a video perfectly showing the headless 1st person model poking out of V's 3rd person shadows during motion;

So figured out what exactly is going on with shadows since 2.0;

It's the headless 1st person view model itself that is for some reason casting shadows since 2.0 and thus creating this shadow monstrosity. Here's a video perfectly showing the headless 1st person model poking out of V's 3rd person shadows during motion;
Send this to CDPR support, I´m sure this was overlooked and probably can be fixed pretty easily. Just make sure to let them know.

The hand shadows are caused by long-sleeve clothes. If your character is wearing any jackets and such, remove them and you'll notice the shadow on the hands go away.

It's an in-game bug, so nothing to do with mods nor game's files.
It was definitely *affected* by the clothing, but the issue still occurred nude, though to a much lesser extent.

Disabling RT sun shadows fixes it for me, all the normal RT options are now buggy in some way. This happens with rt sun shadows, rt local shadows become super grainy, rt lightning has numerous bugs and rt reflections cause NPCs in some areas to become super shiny (and some times everything else).

Disabling RT sun shadows fixes it for me, all the normal RT options are now buggy in some way. This happens with rt sun shadows, rt local shadows become super grainy, rt lightning has numerous bugs and rt reflections cause NPCs in some areas to become super shiny (and some times everything else).

Plus most hair meshes don't cast shadows on body models with RT on

There's an additional shadow bug that I think a lot of people don't even know is a buy, but it's super easy to fix; a modder changed one file to do it.

There is a weird phantom that shows up on doors/displays ONLY when RT Lighting is enabled.

If you can validate that you have this issue as well, you should report it. There are some of these doors in Rocky Ridge, and H10, as well as many other places.

Funny you mention that because I was just about to report this in a few hours for the radios ^^

But yes, it's pretty much all holo-interfaces which have a transparent background.

Last edited:
In case anyone is curious, the bug is caused by RTX. Yet another RTX bug... *cries*
  • Reason why V's shadow is so broken now in 2.0 compared to 1.6 is because in 1.6 the shadows displayed for V were non-RTX shadows, so it appeared low quality but at least it looked normal.
  • In 2.0 however RTX is casting shadows for both 1st & 3rd person models, which is why we're seeing the shadow monstrosity showcased in the videos.
Comparisons between VANILLA and RTX shadows;

Top Bottom