Game seems overly difficult

+
Please help (and I mean this sincerely)!

I'm feeling frustrated. I want to like the game, I really do. It's slick and visually stunning. But I don't feel able to make any progress in the game. My mission journal is stacking up with more and more cyberpsycho missions (I think I have like 12 right now) but I haven't been able to defeat a single one. It doesn't feel good to repeatedly fail, and by level 20 I feel like I should be able to defeat at least one by now. It's frustrating to see them rolling in and stacking up and knowing I'm still too weak and ineffective to fight them.

I've completed some main quest missions and some gig missions. But I don't want to just rush through the main story, I want to be able to enjoy some of the side quests, too. But I can't.

Please, I sincerely need help. Like I said, I want to like this game, especially given how much I spent on it. But at level 20 I still feel completely helpless and stupid.

And before you suggest it, I don't believe in lowering the difficulty level of a game to get through it. If other players can get through at default level I should be able to. Lowering difficulty doesn't feel like victory to me, it feels like cheating, like weakness, like giving up. If that's what I have to do to succeed in this game I won't even bother to play it.

Please help.

Please help (and I mean this sincerely)!

I'm feeling frustrated. I want to like the game, I really do. It's slick and visually stunning. But I don't feel able to make any progress in the game. My mission journal is stacking up with more and more cyberpsycho missions (I think I have like 12 right now) but I haven't been able to defeat a single one. It doesn't feel good to repeatedly fail, and by level 20 I feel like I should be able to defeat at least one by now. It's frustrating to see them rolling in and stacking up and knowing I'm still too weak and ineffective to fight them.

I've completed some main quest missions and some gig missions. But I don't want to just rush through the main story, I want to be able to enjoy some of the side quests, too. But I can't.

Please, I sincerely need help. Like I said, I want to like this game, especially given how much I spent on it. But at level 20 I still feel completely helpless and stupid.

And before you suggest it, I don't believe in lowering the difficulty level of a game to get through it. If other players can get through at default level I should be able to. Lowering difficulty doesn't feel like victory to me, it feels like cheating, like weakness, like giving up. If that's what I have to do to succeed in this game I won't even bother to play it.

Please help.
I ask, because I'm not sure, so sorry, but you can't beat them? Or you kill them instead of knock them out?
In theory, the first ones (like "Lt. Mower") should be rather easy at level 20, even in the highest difficulty. After there are more difficult ones (like "The Wasteland") but manageable at higher level.

I ask, because I'm not sure, so sorry, but you can't beat them? Or you kill them instead of knock them out?
In theory, the first ones (like "Lt. Mower") should be rather easy at level 20, even in the highest difficulty. After there are more difficult ones (like "The Wasteland") but manageable at higher level.
I currently have: Six Feet Under; Bloody Ritual; Demons of War; Discount Doc; and Seaside Cafe. (Sorry, I said I had 12 but I was counting wrong...I was using TAB to page through my missions when all that does is sort them, so I was counting them more than once. I've since figured THAT out.) Anyway, those are the cyberpsycho missions I have right now, and they shred me every time. I don't mean I can't take them alive, I mean they slaughter me in about 2 hits. Even at level 20.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to take one of them alive.

I grant that I'm new to the game and don't know what I'm doing, but I'm not new to gaming in general. It seems to me in other games I was much more capable at level 20 than I am in this game. In this game I'm still a weak noob who dies more often than they succeed. Even if you assert this game is set harder than others, I still think that's excessive for level 20.

Last edited:
I grant that I'm new to the game and don't know what I'm doing, but I'm not new to gaming in general. It seems to me in other games I was much more capable at level 20 than I am in this game. In this game I'm still a weak noob who dies more often than they succeed. Even if you assert this game is set harder than others, I still think that's excessive for level 20.
Ok ;)
Not sure how you built your character, but instead of some other games, level 20 doesn't mean that much if you don't invest in cyberwares, stuff and perks. Like for armor, without cyberwares, you're close to 0, even at level 50-60, so indeed, you will take a ton of damages each time an enemy hit you (especially cyberpsycho which are "over-chromed" and so, quite powerful).
So be sure to buy and upgrade cyberwares related to your play style.
For example : If you play netrunner, upgrade your cyberdeck, install "good" quickhacks, install cyberwares which increase your RAM, maybe legs cyberwares (to avoid enemy's attacks) easily and so on...

Ok ;)
Not sure how you built your character, but instead of some other games, level 20 doesn't mean that much if you don't invest in cyberwares, stuff and perks. Like for armor, without cyberwares, you're close to 0, even at level 50-60, so indeed, you will take a ton of damages each time an enemy hit you (especially cyberpsycho which are "over-chromed" and so, quite powerful).
So be sure to buy and upgrade cyberwares related to your play style.
For example : If you play netrunner, upgrade your cyberdeck, install "good" quickhacks, install cyberwares which increase your RAM, maybe legs cyberwares (to avoid enemy's attacks) easily and so on...
Bear with me here, I'm only absorbing about half of what you're saying. I'm looking at a menu tab called "Cyrberware". I've looked at it before but frankly I don't know what I'm looking at, so I moved on. Figured the game would explain it if and when it became important.

As for my build, I usually go for a stealth-sniper build with combat games. So lots of dexterity/agility to move quietly, lots of intelligence/perception for long-distance aiming, etc. But I haven't seen a single sniper/sharpshooter weapon in the game so far; no scopes, or silencers; etc/

Let me attach a screenshot and see if you can tell me where I'm at with cyberware.

Attachments

• Cyberpunk Screenshot 001.jpg
    Cyberpunk Screenshot 001.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Bear with me here, I'm only absorbing about half of what you're saying. I'm looking at a menu tab called "Cyrberware". I've looked at it before but frankly I don't know what I'm looking at, so I moved on. Figured the game would explain it if and when it became important.

As for my build, I usually go for a stealth-sniper build with combat games. So lots of dexterity/agility to move quietly, lots of intelligence/perception for long-distance aiming, etc. But I haven't seen a single sniper/sharpshooter weapon in the game so far; no scopes, or silencers; etc/

Let me attach a screenshot and see if you can tell me where I'm at with cyberware.
According to your screenshot, you're indeed very "weak", only the "base" cyberwares installed (not even upgraded) and so, have only 31 armor. No surprise psychos can beat you easily :(

So visit a ripperdoc (like Viktor the one you meet with Jackie or any other one) and install cyberwares according to your play style.
Also try to upgrade the cyberwares you already have (when there is a little yellow arrow on one) it means you have the components required to upgrade them (at a ripperdoc).

Beside, cyberpsycho's fights are always "open-combat", no stealth. So knowing that suppresor decrease damages in open combat, avoid them against cyberpsychos. Beside, if you keep using your cyberdeck and quickhacks, be sure to equip cripple movements and/or optic reboot to limit cyberpsychos ability to attack (used wizely, it will let you a bit of time to heal you, throw a grenade, recover some RAM,...while they're incapacitated).

Last edited:
Will this "ripperdoc" you mention explain to me what's going on with cyberware?

Sadly, I lost victor. I remember him vaguely (it was so long ago) and I remember paying him back for somerthing he gave me on credit (I don't remember what now). But I wouldn't have a clue now where he is in the city. I haven't even been back to my own apartment because I don't remember where THAT is. I have like 4 vehicles (people keep giving me free cars and motorcycles) but I have no idea where they're parked or stored. I just call the Hoon one by holding the 'V' key.

Will this "ripperdoc" you mention explain to me what's going on with cyberware?

Sadly, I lost victor. I remember him vaguely (it was so long ago) and I remember paying him back for somerthing he gave me on credit (I don't remember what now). But I wouldn't have a clue now where he is in the city. I haven't even been back to my own apartment because I don't remember where THAT is. I have like 4 vehicles (people keep giving me free cars and motorcycles) but I have no idea where they're parked or stored. I just call the Hoon one by holding the 'V' key.
Ripperdoc are noticed on the map, you can find them easily. You can select what you want to display and if you clic on a location (ripperdoc, shop, drop point, TP point,...) track it like quests ;)
Beside, there are tutorials/tips in your menu (in theory, it's been a while since I checked^^), so take a look here if you're not sure what you're doing.

But remember, it's Cyberpunk, cyberwares are "required". Without, you're just a "human" among "upgraded" super-humans. And cyberpsychos are among the most "upgraded" :)

Edit : For vehicles, it's simple, they're nowhere. You can call any vehicle you want whenever you want using the shortcut (hold V. And the list of all available vehicles appear, select one and confirm).

Last edited:

Based on your screenshot, you need WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more Cyberware, your current loadout is equivalent to a level 1 tutorial build.

You'll need different gear depending on what playstyle you're going for:

If you want to try hacking, you need a better cyberdeck and some frontal cortex mods to boost ram and damage. And the quick hacks to slot in.

If you want to run and gun or use a blade build, get rid of the cyberdeck and use a Sandevistan (this slows time makes you fast enemies slow)

If you're more into tanking and brute force go with berserk.

And that's just the OS system, you'll want legs for double jump or charged jump (plus some armor) Arms depending on weapon of choice (I personally like Gorilla fists for the "Body" check boost and boxing missions) And ARMOR, armor is basically entirely tied to Cyberware now it used to be clothes, some things like ballistic vests grant a small amount of armor (and some other boosts) but most clothes are purely cosmetic now and armor and stats are primarily based on Cyberware

You may want to look at a guide or wiki or at least go back and check out the tutorial on rippers. If you're having trouble finding a ripper, there is at least one in every district, some districts more than one. You'll see them on the map, you can even filter the map to only show ripperdocs. post update 2.0 they basically all sell the same stuff (They used to keep different stock) They will get new items as your level and street cred increase so it's a good idea to check back every few levels for upgrades. And now with the added level scaling, the higher your level the more you'll feel the lack of Cyberware.

As for the weapons, there are several sniper rifles, you can usually find them at any gun store, but the best ones and iconics are usually tied to missions or "Hidden" areas. Again depending on the build you like you should find some decent options, I'm pretty sure Wilson will have silencers and other gear mods for you as well, but again most gun stores will have something useful, plus different factions tend to drop certain things like tigers usually have smart weapons so you can always target enemies that have higher drop rates, corps usually have at least one sniper in the group. It's also not a bad idea to decide if you want to use "Power" "Smart" or "Tech" weapons, they all have advantages but depending on what you're using it will effect the best Cyberware to pair with it.

Based on your screenshot, you need WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more Cyberware, your current loadout is equivalent to a level 1 tutorial build.

You'll need different gear depending on what playstyle you're going for:

If you want to try hacking, you need a better cyberdeck and some frontal cortex mods to boost ram and damage. And the quick hacks to slot in.

If you want to run and gun or use a blade build, get rid of the cyberdeck and use a Sandevistan (this slows time makes you fast enemies slow)

If you're more into tanking and brute force go with berserk.

And that's just the OS system, you'll want legs for double jump or charged jump (plus some armor) Arms depending on weapon of choice (I personally like Gorilla fists for the "Body" check boost and boxing missions) And ARMOR, armor is basically entirely tied to Cyberware now it used to be clothes, some things like ballistic vests grant a small amount of armor (and some other boosts) but most clothes are purely cosmetic now and armor and stats are primarily based on Cyberware

You may want to look at a guide or wiki or at least go back and check out the tutorial on rippers. If you're having trouble finding a ripper, there is at least one in every district, some districts more than one. You'll see them on the map, you can even filter the map to only show ripperdocs. post update 2.0 they basically all sell the same stuff (They used to keep different stock) They will get new items as your level and street cred increase so it's a good idea to check back every few levels for upgrades. And now with the added level scaling, the higher your level the more you'll feel the lack of Cyberware.

As for the weapons, there are several sniper rifles, you can usually find them at any gun store, but the best ones and iconics are usually tied to missions or "Hidden" areas. Again depending on the build you like you should find some decent options, I'm pretty sure Wilson will have silencers and other gear mods for you as well, but again most gun stores will have something useful, plus different factions tend to drop certain things like tigers usually have smart weapons so you can always target enemies that have higher drop rates, corps usually have at least one sniper in the group. It's also not a bad idea to decide if you want to use "Power" "Smart" or "Tech" weapons, they all have advantages but depending on what you're using it will effect the best Cyberware to pair with it.
GEEZ!! The learning curve on this game WAAAY too steep!

Well, not more than many games. But at level 20 without any cyberware or almost, I can say that you missed few steps :)
But you will see, at the moment you will start taking advantage of cyberwares, perks and weapons, you will become an unstoppable "killing machine" and will have a lot of fun ;)

It's really not as bad as I may have made it sound.... Once you know how you like to play it becomes easy to make a build. But you must 100% pay attention to Cyberware and make sure you level your weapons and implants as you go, The attributes and perks you gain from leveling are definitely helpful and important. But gear and Cyberware carry more weight in combat.

Edit: Just to be clear, it can seem like a lot of systems happening.... but once it clicks its actually pretty straightforward. Definitely not as complex as some other RPGS out there.

Well, not more than many games. But at level 20 without any cyberware or almost, I can say that you missed few steps :)
But you will see, at the moment you will start taking advantage of cyberwares, perks and weapons, you will become an unstoppable "killing machine" and will have a lot of fun ;)
Sincerely, thanks for the encouragement. Looking at these cyberware things, have no clue what ones to pick, because I barely understand what they're talking about. But I'm going to pick some and hope I pick right.
Post automatically merged:

It's really not as bad as I may have made it sound.... Once you know how you like to play it becomes easy to make a build. But you must 100% pay attention to Cyberware and make sure you level your weapons and implants as you go, The attributes and perks you gain from leveling are definitely helpful and important. But gear and Cyberware carry more weight in combat.

Edit: Just to be clear, it can seem like a lot of systems happening.... but once it clicks its actually pretty straightforward. Definitely not as complex as some other RPGS out there.
Thanks. I like a stealth/snipe build in moist combat games. I have no clue what most of these things are, so I'm just picking some that I THINK might MAYBE take me there, but it's not easy to figure out what most of these are doing. I had a lot of money when I started, so I just spent it all, and still haven't filled up all my points on the right bar (which I get is armor) or the right (which I don't know exactly what it tracks). I guess we'll see.

Okay, starting to hit my stride a little now...got me a decent weapon for now, a submachine gun...starting to hold my own in fights...thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
I debated whether to post this or not, as gaming forums don't seem very open to criticism these days and it might get me banned, but I was deeply offended by the "Venus in Furs" mission. It was color-coded yellow, misleading me into thinking it was a main quest mission, but all it was ... well, y'know. This is not something I would have chosen to be involved in had I known. I'm no prude, but pron (misspelled deliberately) is not my cup of tea, animated or not. Not to mention the NPC involved is old and ugly and icky.

This is the second mission that forces this sort of content on the player (the first being that place you go to where the person is programmed, I guess, to your specific preferences).

Can someone tell me if the game is filled with more of that kind of ... stuff? Because if so I may choose not to play it anymore after all. I don't care if it's optional and able to be avoided, but to make this sort of stuff crucial to the main storyline (or in this case misleads you into believing) is unconscionable.

And just when I was kind of getting the hang of things and starting to really enjoy it.

PS - I chose NOT to take the item (IYKYK) that is a "reward" for this "mission".

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me if the game is filled with more of that kind of ... stuff? Because if so I may choose not to play it anymore after all. I don't care if it's optional and able to be avoided, but to make this sort of stuff crucial to the main storyline (or in this case misleads you into believing) is unconscionable.
Nope, "Venus In Fur" might be the only one you have no idea before get involve and no control.
Beside, I think you talk about the Cloud, when searching Evelyn during "Automatic Love"?
Not sure how far you push the conversation with the doll before saying the "safe word" (Afterlife/Samurai) but it's not near as "bad" as Venus In Fur. In fact, it end to be simply a nice conversation.

After there are few other moments, but :
For example during Johnny's memories, so it's not V (you) and indeed, well... it's Johnny :)
And you still can skip cutscenes as far as I know.

Almost all "romance" scenes are optional. you just choose not to follow that path. Usually to initiate the scene there is a clearly visible prompt that will have an option like "Kiss" just don't choose that option and no "love" scene. That also means no romantic relationship with said NPC.... but it seems like you'd prefer to skip all of that. I'm pretty sure Venus in furs is the only one that just starts as soon as you walk through the door.... the texts messages where suggestive enough to hint where things were going.... but an option to pass on the offer would probably be appreciated by players for several reasons.

There is also a nudity filter for "streamers" in the options so you can always turn that on to partially censor some of these moments. And of course, any romance scenes that you want to pursue the story but not the actual "Act" itself can be fast-forwarded through. I think there is only one "Story Critical" mission involving this sort of content, and again between the nudity filter and the FastForward option you should be good.

Be warned even though you're not "Forced" into too many of these situations, the world of cyberpunk 2077 is one of Ultra-Violence and Oversexualization all fueled by corporate greed. So even though there aren't that many actual scenes of sex.... there are definitely plenty of references and insinuations even some of the adds while not explicit are definitely suggestive. So, it's never completely forced on the player and again can be ignored, but the themes are definitely present in the game. It really depends on if these few moments bother you enough to step away or if you enjoy the majority of the game enough to just skip these parts and move on. If you do decide to keep playing and just skip through these parts, go into settings and check your skip dialogue options, then you can just speed past them when they do come around without having to sit through anything you'd prefer not to. But if it's just not your cup of tea I get it....

Edit: side note.... just about mission structure to avoid confusion and to help decide what activities you want to do.
Light blue with NCPD symbol = Scanner/Assault in progress/Reported Crime
Darker blue square = Gig.
Blue Skull = CyberPsycho
Yellow = Main missions and Side Jobs

If you're still unsure when looking at the map hovering over it should say the job type, and you can always just check the journal to pick from your active list if it's easier to sort through them that way.

I debated whether to post this or not, as gaming forums don't seem very open to criticism these days and it might get me banned, but I was deeply offended by the "Venus in Furs" mission.
There is nothing wrong with criticism, as long as it's constructive and not rude or otherwise inappropriate. :)

That particular quest even has a "hate thread" of its very own, here.

I hope you read the warning before buying it, they are on the store pages like this:

"Cyberpunk 2077 contains strong language, intense violence, blood and gore, as well as nudity and sexual material."

There are quite a few sex scenes and from memory only some are skippable, though I have seen worse in 15 classified films. I'm surprised some of the ads around the city don't offend you too. You may be a bit too sensitive for this game.

I just wanted to add: a lot of cyberpsychos can actually be incapacitated by stealth. Usually you can sneak up from behind and choke them out (you might need to hack a nearby object to distract them).

Otherwise, yeah, you’ll have to consider your approach to combat and the way you spend perk and attribute points. Re: Cyberware, I don’t agree that you need much of it to succeed in this game (I personally hold off on major upgrades until after I’ve spoken to Placide and the Voodoo Boys because a certain line of dialogue doesn’t make sense otherwise - and I’m typically around level 45 by that point!).

In fact, the only reason my V undergoes a massive Cyberware overhaul after dealing with the Voodoo Boys is because of cyber-hygiene OCD. *Shudders*

I'm pretty sure Venus in furs is the only one that just starts as soon as you walk through the door.... the texts messages where suggestive enough to hint where things were going.... but an option to pass on the offer would probably be appreciated by players for several reasons.

I think it starts when you reply to her text? Then it shows up in your journal. But OP could’ve just… not replied to her (both reply options are clearly flirty as well, so indeed, like you said, the impromptu invite to the No-Tell Motel was clearly never going to be for tea and crumpets, haha).

Yellow = Main missions and Side Jobs

Just to add, a “filled in” yellow exclamation mark is for the main, non-optional stuff, and the “empty” yellow exclamation marks are for the side ones. I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom