[Lighting Mods] STLM 3.0

+
No way i can go back to 2.2. even if i loved it, i made a full playthrough with it, but 2.3 is much better for my taste. Moon is a small problem, compared to the broken sun, radioactive vegetation, bad weather looking, bright night/cave, lack of sunset in 2.2.

Last edited:
I think this is endless discussion. Just because everybody have different taste and opinion. For example I like STLM 3 and never will go back to early versions. But somebody can think different. And this is totally OK. But we can talk about technical side of the STLM. Is there any problem or something else. This would be meaningful. :) And about pictures. Essenthy himself said we can share the cool pictures. :)

Beautiful mod! I'd double endorse it if I could. Screenshots coming...

If an update is coming, I would humbly request a find tuning of vegetation lighting in Velen. Reflection of vegetation in shadowed areas is a tad too strong. Sometimes it appears quite silvery.

amfibiya89;n7586890 said:
I think this is endless discussion. Just because everybody have different taste and opinion. For example I like STLM 3 and never will go back to early versions. But somebody can think different. And this is totally OK. But we can talk about technical side of the STLM. Is there any problem or something else. This would be meaningful. :) And about pictures. Essenthy himself said we can share the cool pictures. :)

I agree. And like I said, STLM3 looks better than STLM2, well to be honest, better than anything I've seen before, MOST of the time. Except when it doesn't, it looks really, immersion breakingly bad. So I was hoping I could find a few more people who agree with me and get essenthy to change the moon back for example. But let the artist be the artist, you guys are happy with STLM3 and I'm content with STLM2, no harm's done. Looking forward to some more screenshots at night and sunrise, which will eventually convince to change to version 3 ;)

4nnihilat0r;n7586450 said:
This forum is called 'Mod Discussion', so I thought I'd start a discussion. Since this thread is overflowing with screenshots and compliments, I am most likely in the minority, but I have to say: I think STLM2 is much better than STLM3. How dare I say such a thing?
Well, I am using visual mods because they increase the immersion. STLM2 does that perfectly. After a short time, you stop noticing it's there and just enjoy the beautiful game. With STLM3 however, for each "Wow"-Moment, there was a "This doesn't look right moment"-Moment waiting around the corner. It's like day and night - literally. In daylight it moslty looks stunning, at night not so much and sunsets are just ridiculous. Half of the sky turns yellow - way before the sun is even low enough to actually illuminate the clouds. Even the moon turns orange (physics, anyone?). Speaking about the moon, it is way too big and growing (again, physics?). Essenthy said, he designed it this way because he likes it and it seems many people agree with him - I just don't. This is my personal opinion and by no means badmouthing essenthys work. However. because of that, I reverted back to STLM2.2. If anyone accidently deleted his copy and wants it back, send me a pm.

The size of the moon I couldn't care less about, as this is a fantasy universe anyway.
I do however completely agree with your comment on the moon sometimes becoming slightly orange during sunset. It's odd and doesn't make much sense as a sunset should not affect the colour of a moon that's lightyears away.
Not a really big deal, but if Essenthy has time and this is not what he intended it might be worth him taking a look.
I've only seen it happen near Novigrad when half the sky becomes yellow during a sunset. Sadly I don't have any screens.

4nnihilat0r;n7588570 said:
Edit: Actually, it only looks like this during a lunar eclipse

Imagine that this is exactly what happens in the Witcher universe, it's not that hard considering the unicorns and fighting global winter with a sword and all other sorts of nonsence.

4nnihilat0r;n7586450 said:
This forum is called 'Mod Discussion', so I thought I'd start a discussion. Since this thread is overflowing with screenshots and compliments, I am most likely in the minority, but I have to say: I think STLM2 is much better than STLM3. How dare I say such a thing?
Well, I am using visual mods because they increase the immersion. STLM2 does that perfectly. After a short time, you stop noticing it's there and just enjoy the beautiful game. With STLM3 however, for each "Wow"-Moment, there was a "This doesn't look right moment"-Moment waiting around the corner. It's like day and night - literally. In daylight it moslty looks stunning, at night not so much and sunsets are just ridiculous. Half of the sky turns yellow - way before the sun is even low enough to actually illuminate the clouds. Even the moon turns orange (physics, anyone?). Speaking about the moon, it is way too big and growing (again, physics?). Essenthy said, he designed it this way because he likes it and it seems many people agree with him - I just don't. This is my personal opinion and by no means badmouthing essenthys work. However. because of that, I reverted back to STLM2.2. If anyone accidently deleted his copy and wants it back, send me a pm.

I totally agree with you. For all the number of things STLM 3 gets right, there is an equal number of things it gets very very wrong. Think I will just stick with vanilla lighting and Reshade.

As far as I am concerned I could not go back to 2.1 either. I find this version superior in every aspect. I find in it everything I always wanted to see in the game. Unfortunatly I cannot make bug report I don't find any. Mostly because I don't have time to play a lot lately.

WalteriusMaximus;n7590870 said:
For all the number of things STLM 3 gets right, there is an equal number of things it gets very very wrong.
This is how I've felt about every single STLM version up until now. At times they would look great, and at other times they would look not so great which is why I would never commit to any past versions of STLM.

BUT 3.1.1 looks absolutely stunning in pretty much all areas. I don't know what you're looking at when you see "an equal number of things it gets very very wrong". I see very little that it gets wrong especially compared to the past versions. For me this release actually fills the void left by the downgrade. It actually looks how the world of The Witcher should look.

Last edited:
essenthy: first of all - im amazed with the lighting of 3.1.1 - its really capturing the e3 2014 atmosphere and looks absolutely stunning!
i really hope you dont get discouraged by some critical voices here and there, your hard work really shines brighter with every new upgrade, and its like, you are 95% there...

But, still, comparing with the very high standard of 2013 graphics, i always wondered if its possible for you to make the water more looking like this:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/s...the_swamps.jpg

Beside that, one major thing are the clouds:
would it be possible to make them in ultra high resolution and, if possible, in 3D?

like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOkP7C0WrkU

(now amd Vega & GTX 1080ti are coming out i assume there might be no need to sacrifice graphics for performance at all)
What do you think?

Last edited:
YannKelar;n7600000 said:
essenthy: first of all - im amazed with the lighting of 3.1.1 - its really capturing the e3 2014 atmosphere and looks absolutely stunning!
i really hope you dont get discouraged by some critical voices here and there, your hard work really shines brighter with every new upgrade, and its like, you are 95% there...

But, still, comparing with the very high standard of 2013 graphics, i always wondered if its possible for you to make the water more looking like this:

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/s...the_swamps.jpg

Beside that, one major thing are the clouds:
would it be possible to make them in ultra high resolution and, if possible, in 3D?

like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOkP7C0WrkU

(now amd Vega & GTX 1080ti are coming out i assume there might be no need to sacrifice graphics for performance at all)
What do you think?

there is another mod that does this AQUA Mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2087/?

Denroth;n7601210 said:
there is another mod that does this AQUA Mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2087/?

i know, theres also that CLOUDS mod, and while they are good mods, they are not exceptional like STLM 3.
When you look at the 2013 trailers, everything is UHQ with exceptional draw distance.

My thought is this: When i combine STLM 3.1, 4k texture project/HD reworked & supreme graphics options the only things that cant keep up with the stunning E3 2013 visuals are the mediocre water, clouds, smoke and ingame menu.

Thats why i want to ask you essenthy, if you could take on those clouds and water to make them visually as stunning as seen in the 2013 version?

YannKelar;n7601810 said:
i know, theres also that CLOUDS mod, and while they are good mods, they are not exceptional like STLM 3.
When you look at the 2013 trailers, everything is UHQ with exceptional draw distance.

My thought is this: When i combine STLM 3.1, 4k texture project/HD reworked & supreme graphics options the only things that cant keep up with the stunning E3 2013 visuals are the mediocre water, clouds, smoke and ingame menu.

Thats why i want to ask you essenthy, if you could take on those clouds and water to make them visually as stunning as seen in the 2013 version?

Correct me if I'm wrong but essenthy is not a texture guy while ramccoid is. You can see that he already made retextures for other games too. If you're asking to bring back the E3 texture details, I suggest requesting it to ramccoid or HalkHogan. Those people are your best options to achieve what you're looking for.

Top Bottom