[Lighting Mods] STLM 3.0

+
First of all, I'd like to thank Essenthy for his hard work on this mod.

I love comparing things with and without mods so I often do comparison shots to see how different things look and to figure out if I want to keep a mod of not.

I had a set of 30 different screenshots comparing Witcher 3 Vanilla, STLM 2.2 and STLM 3.1 and I thought I'd make a video showing the differences so people can figure out which option they like best.

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/7kRnU_y9tjU

Finally I've been able to test it...great work, still some bugs (probably a fresh install would help ehehhe) but after some tweaking with ingame options and reshade I'm very happy of the final result...thank you once more Essenthy!

Last edited:
These are just a few of my favorite screens from 3.1.1. I have to say that for the most part I like this version the best. White Orchard in version 2.1 is still my favorite version of White Orchard but 3.1.1 truly takes the cake for Novigrad, Skellige, and Kaer Morhen. I am a bit split between Velen in 2.1 and 3.1.1, but 3.1.1 really blows 2.1 away in the swamp, Fyke Isle and south Velen. I realize most people were not a fan of the green Velen in 2.1 but for some reason I enjoyed it. I cannot wait to spend some more time in Skellige. Thank you so much for your work essenthy !

http://imgur.com/JCoWuvh
http://imgur.com/frvA5ms
http://imgur.com/EvG87Ur
http://imgur.com/1I27GDz

Last edited:
I think I came across a bug. If the weather is clearing up from rainy to clear weather, naturally, the lighting abruptly changes. Like it doesn't fade or anything. Happened in Velen when I was going to meet the baron.

tennisaddict1999;n7557020 said:
I think I came across a bug. If the weather is clearing up from rainy to clear weather, naturally, the lighting abruptly changes. Like it doesn't fade or anything. Happened in Velen when I was going to meet the baron.

I do not believe that this is really a bug. It has occurred in every version of STML that I have played with. While the transition may seem abrupt, it only lasts a second and then the lighting is fine again. If you time it right you will see it happen between the end of dusk and the onset of night as well (sudden moon brightness). If I had to wager a guess as to why it happens that way, I would say there are likely some significant limitations in smoothing that transition with the mod tools provided.

tennisaddict1999;n7557020 said:

thats a game bug not stlm

Since 3.0 doesn't support Toussaint, any way to combine the Toussaint changes in 2.2 with 3.0 for the rest of the game?

I love the fact that sunsets aren't super orange like in vanilla. I know that some people like strong orange sunsets, but in my 28 years of life I've never actually seen a sunset like that in real life. I've seen purpleish sunsets, I've seen bluish sunsets, and I've seen mildly orange ones like in 3.1. But never have I seen a bleeding orange almost red sunset like in the vanilla. It just doesn't happen in my part of the world. Maybe it happens in Florida or some place like that.

Grieswurst;n7556280 said:
What reshade do you use Alastre? looks nice!

Is a preset I've found on nexus but I've modified it...if you want to try it i can send or upload it somewhere.

Thanks Essenthy, it finally looks right, it looks great.

I just went for a horse ride in Skellige from the Druid Camp to the Abandoned Sawmill nearby, riding through the forest. Gave me a very Witcher 2 vibe.

Is anyone else able to stop taking screenshots? I honestly can't. The lighting looks more advanced and deep. I don't know if that's the added AO or what. I'm just waiting on AMD to release their high end cards so I can play this game maxed with this mod. You guys should try the Supreme to Extreme Graphics Mod. The Supreme setting on foliage visibility basically negates any low lod trees you'd normally see with the vanilla ultra setting and just looks that much better with STLM. With a R9 280 I can get just about 30 fps with those settings.

tennisaddict1999;n7558910 said:
Is anyone else able to stop taking screenshots? I honestly can't. The lighting looks more advanced and deep. I don't know if that's the added AO or what. I'm just waiting on AMD to release their high end cards so I can play this game maxed with this mod. You guys should try the Supreme to Extreme Graphics Mod. The Supreme setting on foliage visibility basically negates any low lod trees you'd normally see with the vanilla ultra setting and just looks that much better with STLM. With a R9 280 I can get just about 30 fps with those settings.

I play with Ultimate Grafics Options Mod (UGOM) and for me it's better because you can change every single option in user.ini file in the game.
I have one question too people who use UGOM. Foliage Distance Scale on 5 is max? If is... then CascadeShadowDistanceScale(0,1,2,3) what is the best settings for this FoliageDistanceScale ?
On this time i play with this option and i don't know is best too achieve max grafics:
VEGETETION
MaxVisibilityDepth - 24
FoliageDistanceScale - 5
FoliageShadowDistanceScale - 64

SHADOWS
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold - 0.1
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0 - 5
Scale1 - 5
Scale2 - 5
Scale3 - 5
CascadeShadowQuality - 4
CascadeShadowMapSize - 4096

Can someone help me with this options? Iwant achieve the best grafics in 30FPS ofc. Performance is not that important too me :D

Thanks Essenthy, looks pretty good :)

http://imgur.com/a/O1jiX

http://imgur.com/a/5SLBU

I have only one problem, so far. Something is wrong with the bark textures ( in Velen ), it's especially visible on the birch and apple trees (they looks like semi-translucent):

Did you change the vignetting effect ? Seems pretty strong right now.

Last edited:
Guzio;n7560340 said:
I have only one problem, so far. The bark textures ( in Velen ), it's especially visible on the birch and apple trees (they looks like semi-translucent):

Try to take screenshot without using your reshade.

Here's my opinion on STLM 3 after playing for a few days.

The outdoor lighting is a spot on. The removal of fake character lighting really makes Geralt a part of the world. The rain weather also looks incredible compared to the previous release. But while the outdoor looks awesome, the indoor lighting seems a bit off. Starting from dawn, there's some kind of this blue tinted fog inside building in Velen, Novigrad, and White Orchard and I don't remember seeing any kinds of fog inside any building in real life. Comes dusk til midnight, the indoor becomes really dark. It's hard to navigate without the help of a torch or a Cat potion, but i suppose it's necessary to sacrifice the indoor lighting to make outdoor lighting as great as it is now.

The lens flare on some light sources is a welcome addition but I think it's a little too bright. Maybe tone the lens flare brightness down a bit if possible and it'll look better. Sunrises and sunsets also gets a little too bright to the point that almost half of the sky completely turns yellow.

Also as everyone have mentioned, sometimes the moon is very BIG. As big as Jupiter would look like if it's the same distance as the moon. From my experience, the moon would look very big when it first appeared and would gradually shrink over time as long as you don't meditate to advance the time. Previous release never had this issue so I think this is fixable.

Overall, while there are some places that don't look right, it's the best STLM we've ever got to mimic the lighting shown on the E3 trailer without the help of Reshade. Don't take this opinion too seriously and as always, keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom