Oversexualizaton in Cyberpunk

+
To be very honest, i rather think the whole sexist thing is a bit over the top, FACT is with a female character you can do ALOT more then with a male, Female have a somewhat smoother shape, think of a guy in her place, she has a somewhat innocence and soft over her still with something rather (cant come up with the word) killer instinct, place a guy there and you get a more rough shape and a more powerfull with no elegance.

Thus changing the WHOLE point of what they want to show you, nudity, sexuality thats all just food for QQ, point being women are often used like this because of how men see woman(now you can say as a sex object but thats just how YOU see them) i see woman as soft and gentle putting them in a serial killer role gives a very sinical feeling to it, there is nothing more scary then a woman that kills for pleasure.

Cloths? well why cant a woman be sexy? sexy doesnt directly have anything to do with SEX, we just see it like that because of sociaty nowadays, i dont see her with what shes wearing as a prostitue or anything like that, what i see is a broken lady with a hunger for blood.

Put a "ugly" woman in and you get: she finally snapped of all the bully's and started killing everything

Wich one is more scary?

I think you guys are missing the point, yes the trailer is quite nice and I did not see anyone here speaking against it, quite the opposite. But do not forgot that the trailer is a marking tool for people living in our world, unless you want to fool yourself, that trailer is marketed yes for a more male audience but that does not mean it will not attract some female audience too or any other people.

The problem here is not taking way the sex, sexuality, of darkness of the world but to apply it to EVERYONE and I really do not want to see all the female character in that submissive position with that type of clothing but sure there are going to be some. Just like I do not want to see all the guys in position of power and with conservative clothes.

+1 ^ What she said!

around 95%+ of the players that play this game will be male...
So don't bother wasting resources on that shit, over 50% of the girls that actually play games don't give two flying fucks about what they even play

That is the old day man hahaha now ladies get down as well. You will be surprise if you are the one counting the members. by there sexuality meaning if they are males or females playing now days.

I'm very curious, if the roles would reverse and instead of cyborg girl in panties and top we would get a cyborg man in slips (by wearing slips you can easily see the shape of pennis) would this topic be so controversial.

I'm very curious, if the roles would reverse and instead of cyborg girl in panties and top we would get a cyborg man in slips (by wearing slips you can easily see the shape of pennis) would this topic be so controversial.

Yes. It would. Because people would then be complaining that you could see the man's penis.

People complain because they want to complain. I could go into details, but that would hardly go without me being rather insulting at the same time, which I'd rather not be.
Overall, let's say that it has more to do with puritanism than any form of concern for people.

In the 16th century Catherine Di Mecidi forbade her ladies in waiting from shaving their public hair because they'd look better than she did.

Sumptuary laws applied in England since the 14th century. (dress laws particularly applied to women)... because rich breeding as opposed to attractive was the key. (it actually defined material and color... poor people couldn't dress like rich folk cos you'd think they were good looking and rich!)

Communal bathing was common as was an obsession with personal hygiene.

(that's unisex naked bathing to you and I)

It's estimated that in some electoral roles 20% of the population were bastards.

Look out the window.

Cyberpunk might feel oversexualised to us comparably puritan moralists.....what we consider uversexualised is just the norm in the world of CyberPunk.....they have gone through a lot of moral decay and sexual desensitization. Sex is no longer anything filthy or amoral or not even sacred. It is just a biological function, and since it does not leave any feces on the streets it is more akin to breathing than shitting. You don't have any problems with drinking your sparkly mineralised water in the streets, do you? then why would you have problems showing your expensively bought chrome or stem-cell treated meat without too much itchy synthetic threads covering you? What is the problem with rubbing some hot meat against cold chrome? Doing that only while in hiding is hypocrisy. We all do it, why pretending we're not? Why not just proudly do it when and where the mood takes us? ass long as there are no health&safety risks caused by it, who cares? don't want to see others getting on, stop staring and just walk away.
Style over Substance, right? If you got it, flaunt it...that includes the last piece of original organic curves you got. Stop hiding.

This one's a doozy so apologies in advance. Macleod, in the interest of a semblance of readability, I've removed some text here and there to distill your point. I've done my best to be honest to the spirit of the comment. If you feel that I've unfairly represented your point though, or changed the context, please let me know and I'll adjust my argument accordingly.

What people in this thread seem to be missing, perhaps because they don't know Cyberpunk 2020...

The issue here is that there are people in this thread who seem to think that all of the aforementioned isn't a normal everyday thing in Cyberpunk 2020.

Misunderstanding or ignorance of the setting isn't the issue. You are defending the teaser's relevance to the setting despite the fact no one is criticising it. What criticism has been leveled at is the use of a common stereotype to get the attention of contemporary audiences. Making it about the Cyberpunk universe itself is missing the point of the objection.

In any event, the only reason she would be kneeling like that is because she has made the conscious choice - as much as she's self-aware in her psychosis - to have the C-SWAT officer kill her. Suicide by cop. It's evident from how she simply closes her eyes and accepts the inevitable.

To be in a "submissive pose" she would first have to have been subdued. She hasn't been. She's in that pose completely and perfectly willingly. Whether that pose is sexy or not, since it's completely and utterly willing (she wants to die), it should be all good, right?

This is incorrect. That's exactly what submission means. Submission is not the same thing as subjugation. Submission infers the voluntary yielding of power. This is what makes it such a powerful symbol. Particularly in sexuality. With that in mind I totally agree with your analysis of her behavior.

The fact that we usually see women, and not men, in sexy attire and poses, could also be that the majority of the people in the western world seems to agree that most women are beautiful, while most men are not. In other words, if I were to make more generalizations, most men prefer women because of their beauty, and a large portion of women think women are better on the eyes as well.

You have to please the majority.

Also, one would think the guy, even in his armor and headgear, might be attractive to some, right? A clearly well-built, imposing authority figure of a man. Does he need to show skin to be attractive?

I'm sorry, you've been very polite (and interesting!) so I don't want you to think I'm just being offensive; but re-reading your comment, you do realize how this comes off as stereotyping and well, a bit sexist right?

I'm sure people who don't realize that if she does have a full body replacement, the only human part she has left is her brain and spine, find her fully cybernetic body attractive, but I myself just can't see it that way

[snip]

Not only is she not real, but pixels, but she's also basically a robot as well. Yet people think it's a seductive and sexually charged picture? Well, to each their own, but you can't go complaining about that then.

I mean, if you find a toaster sexy, do you complain about toaster commercials?

When is a toaster not a toaster?

I agree she's a cartoon. The medium used isn't an excuse for objectification though and bringing it up risks diverting the argument. The toaster thing is deflection too. Along with every person here you've repeatedly referred to the character as 'she' and 'her'. A reasonable fascimile of a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman as far as the viewer's assumptions of cultural and gender roles and narrative imperative go. And if all your earlier arguments defending sex and sexuality within the setting are anything to go by, I believe you see this too. Everything else you've projected onto the scene thanks to your considerable knowlege of the setting.

I do appreciate CDPR's attempt to subvert the sexy lady stereotype. From the body horror of the bisected, bladed arms, to the bloody corpses and vacant reaction to being fired upon. I enjoyed those aspects too. I just didn't feel they overcame the underlying cliché of it.

Sure, she could've been depicted as something less beautiful and sexy. The question though, is "why"? The way she is now is 100% Cyberpunk 2020. Why do something that isn't Cyberpunk 2020 just to avoid looking like you're aiming it for horny teenagers? That makes no sense to me, at least.

If this video proves without a doubt that the style in which it was made was a conscious decision to aim and market it to a specific audience, then the fact of the matter is that the entire Cyberpunk 2020 game has always been aimed and marketed to that exact audience.

Why change now?

YESSS! Now we're getting somewhere. You've addressed the question of the teaser's role in the real world which is what people actually have a problem with. To paraphrase your excellent question "Why do it differently when everyone who likes it already will want it this way?".

Because real life tolerance of gender stereotypes has changed a lot over 25 years. People are also cleverer and more aware than ever of the precise mechanisms used to manipulate them by media and entertainment. Whether or not you agree, a very large number of men and women (some of them even previous fans of CDPR or Cyberpunk) do accept that women across media have been objectified, or relegated to secondary or sexual roles, quite a lot over the decades. Enough to make it a trope.

I happen to think it's a worthy cause for an entertainment product to seek out ways of promoting itself that doesn't directly reinforce this trope. Ways that aim to excite as many people as possible about the product. Since it's a provable fact that girls playing hardcore games are a rapidly growing audience and when the possibilities are so vast, I just can't see it as a compromise to take a slightly different route.

I think the game will be phenomenal. If I didn't I wouldn't be here. I also want as many people enjoying it as humanly possible. I want CDPR staff to go swimming in a pool of money at their lunch break and continue to bring ambitious, deep loveliness to the CRPG genre. I believe everyone should be made to feel an equal part of the adventure. I'd hazard a guess you feel this way too and that would be my answer to "Why?".

I can't see any reason for them to create a video which features average and bland people. It would serve no purpose. It doesn't belong in the Cyberpunk 2020 universe, nor do the majority of who see it want to see it. There's a reason something is "aesthetically pleasing."

For me, the police spinner is just as beautiful as the woman in the video. They created a very sleek and beautiful flying vehicle, instead of a rusted out chunk of brown metal. The city itself is beautiful, instead of a dank, garbage-filled toxic dump.

All these choices work to serve a purpose. That purpose is not to sell or market, even though the most jaded among us would want to think so. That purpose is to show what Cyberpunk 2020/2077 is all about. That's what I personally believe anyway. Oh well.

I sympathise with you here. It's true that stylish, good-looking people are a central concept for the setting. That doesn't automatically presuppose the direction they went, but I agree that it would be strange to not feature it. I don't have an easy answer except to say that there was no obligation, anywhere, to represent the chic, eternally young, chipped in aesthetic in this particular way.

I disagree with you about the purpose of the video though. It would never have seen the light of day had CDPR not wished to begin promoting the upcoming game. But I understand that you prefer the thought that it was all about representing the setting authentically. The way I see it, it's purpose was threefold. In order of importance: To build hype for the game; to show off the aesthetic of the world; to stroke the egos of the existing fanbase (I don't mean this in a bad way; I'm one of them!)

I don't actually see the video as over-sexualized. It reminds me more of the main antagonist in one of the AD Police episodes. That woman was most likely in bed or getting ready for bed when her psychosis episode started. She did most likely not put on a flimsy and sexy nighty to have a night stroll in a town filled with muggers and rapists or not even to lure her victims. Most likely her husband (or owner, if she is a full synthetic android sex toy) is all mangled up and spread across the walls of her bedroom, but that is just assumption since her home is not shown in this picture....
The picture tells a story and if one goes away from the stereotype of a decadent and amoral filthy future, then it all makes sense in a very non-sexual way.
We don't even know how much of a "toaster" she is. We know she has cyber arms and legs and full body subdermal armor and most likely even bone lacing....but is her metabolism system still biological? her eyes and ears? How much brainware does she have installed? Is that real skin covering the subdermal armor? Unlikely that she was a toaster form the start, she was guarantied more than a sex toy, else she would not have been recruited into the PsychSquad.

What was he psychosis? Feeling uber-human? Hating her body? Not feeling like a woman anymore because she replaced her reproductive organs with a toaster? Having no concept of humanity anymore? Being hated by her significant other? Having seen and caused more blood and death with a profession that required her to install hiden armblades and fullbody armorisation than she could emotionally handle?

No, what I'm trying to say is that people are concentrating on 12 seconds of the trailer showing panties and some female body, while there are so many other things in this trailer that are getting FAR MORE exposition. Like guns, bullets, police force, nods to the original CP2020 setting, Night City architecture, flying cars, MAX TAC officer, blood and bodies laying around...

Sure, there are lots of things going on in the video. Of course almost all of them are going on in the direction of the clip's focus. The cops shooting, the camera tracking the bullets flying towards her, the bodies surrounding her, the police spinner the MAX-TAC; everything in the scene is laser-focused on the kneeling woman in the middle.

When the argument about violent games like COD encouraging/causing/promoting agression and gun crime/mass shootings is raised, the majority of gamers is like "bullshit, in no way games affect people's actions in real world, it's a mental health issue or it's gun control issue etc". But when a game teaser shows a female in her panties, all of a sudden it has an influence on the real world by promoting male gaze and gender inequality?

I don't think this is strange at all. I fail to see any connection whatsoever between violence in games and the argument here so why should I defend against it? If you want to make a post about it though, you should.

Anyone and everyone can and will get plastic surgery, as well as possible cyber augments, in the Cyberpunk 2020 setting to maximize their ATT. Women dressing in provocative attire; women showing their lingerie, or wearing nothing than, are more prevalent in the Cyberpunk 2020 setting than those who aren't. Sexy women have always been a core, defining aspect of Cyberpunk 2020.

Why would you change any of those things in order to make a more unnecessarily politically correct video, when showing a beautiful and sexy female figure in scarce clothing and a provocative pose does in no way demean or objectify women on any level whatsoever, and when taking a politically correct and subdued stance in making the video would only further shove our already dangerously right-winged religiously charged puritania of a society down the dark dank hole of prudishness and closed-mindedness from where there's no coming back?

Sex sells. Yes. Anyone claiming her appearance is based on this tenet and nothing else does have that fact to support their claim. However, female imagery such as the one on the video has always existed in Cyberpunk 2020, regardless of the original reasons why, and thus I can claim the appearance of the female figure in the video is based on that fact and nothing else.

Both claims have a basis on facts. Neither can be disproved. Yet the fact remains (at least in my opinion) that the entire world is a better place for the scarcity of her clothes and for the seductiveness of her pose, and I'm having a hard time respecting anyone complaining about that, or the motives of the people who made the video.

If Cyberpunk 2077 ended up being a sadistic game where men subjugate women for their own sexual pleasure, then it wouldn't make a damn difference in the grand scope of things. Whether filth like that existed in the form of a single video game or not would be completely and utterly irrelevant to how things are in the real world. Thus, I see no point in people trying to make the world a better place by trying to control the content of the game, or trying to judge the motives of the people making the game. Anyone purely selfless who is doing that is fighting windmills and wasting their time. Anyone not purely selfless doing that is doing it for their own selfish reasons trying to justify their own world view to themselves through others.

We need a couple gaming houses here and there who will tell the PC-squad to piss off. I hope Projekt RED is one of those.

Also, sorry for the long read. I'm not mad or angry. I'm just bored. :cool:

Anyone and everyone can and will get plastic surgery, as well as possible cyber augments, in the Cyberpunk 2020 setting to maximize their ATT. Women dressing in provocative attire; women showing their lingerie, or wearing nothing than, are more prevalent in the Cyberpunk 2020 setting than those who aren't. Sexy women have always been a core, defining aspect of Cyberpunk 2020.

Why would you change any of those things in order to make a more unnecessarily politically correct video, when showing a beautiful and sexy female figure in scarce clothing and a provocative pose does in no way demean or objectify women on any level whatsoever, and when taking a politically correct and subdued stance in making the video would only further shove our already dangerously right-winged religiously charged puritania of a society down the dark dank hole of prudishness and closed-mindedness from where there's no coming back?

:

Amen to that. The world is too inhuman and political correct as it is already. Those who claim portraying women as desirable and beautiful being is objectifying only seek to degenderize society, turning people into genderless persona with no sense of identity, making women ashamed of being women and men ashamed of being men.

i have seen women who talk about how proud they are of being women, but they reject, bemoan and resent everything that makes them women, their gentleness, their caring and nurturing nature, their femininity, their female fertility, their innate beauty...everything...and trying so hard to imitate and be like those men that they hate and despise so much...all while making women who just want to be women feel bad about themselves for wanting to be real women.

One day these humourless nitpicky folk are going to force developers to work only according to the cliches they find currently politically correct, there'll be a checklist of one female shaped piece of metal in knickers and vest, so there must be a male shaped piece of metal in the next scene in pants and a vest. Every game will be a checklist of politically correct dry as dust cliches appealling to as broad a demographic as possible. Well screw that, let's have life in all its vast Cyberpunk variety, and the story Mike and CDPR want to tell.

Wow, thank you for being so honest. You're right. Arguing about whether these stereotypes are damaging or not is way beyond the scope of the discussion and not really appropriate. I'm just glad we finally agree about what it is we were really watching on-screen.

Political correctness is the go-to argument for defenders whenever this topic is discussed. Hopefully not everyone believes that being inclusive is the same thing.

Thus, I see no point in people trying to make the world a better place by trying to control the content of the game, or trying to judge the motives of the people making the game.

One more time. Not the game. Just the teaser.

Political correctness is the go-to argument for defenders whenever this topic is discussed. Hopefully not everyone believes that being inclusive is the same thing.

So is the women objectification/male gaze argument for inclusion enforcers.

26 pages. Oh, INTERNET.

I hope their next trailer is a giant pie running down the street yelling possibly racist invective. A Cyber Pie. A Racist Cyber Pie.

Truth told, until folks started complaining about it, I didn't even notice she was in just a slip and panties. I thought it was just a really short dress until I got a second look. Why didn't I notice before then? Probably because, like a normal person would be, I was too busy admiring the music and the cityscape and the guns and the entire rest of the video to bitch and moan about someone's lingerie.

No, damn you. Present everyone in their underwear. It's only fair.

There is actually an option in Lifepath for the PnP under preferred clothes for, "Nude". That's especially amusing when paired with neon hair.

Suddenly reminded of a line from MST3k...

Joel: "So what I'd wanna do is walk around completely naked, with a Big Gulp and Terminator 2 sunglasses..."

There's a catch to be seen here... the average schmuck doesn't really look like that. At 1:24 you can see some of the corpses of the victims, and they look pretty avearge, nondescript. Even the cops and the Psycho-cop are shown to be more subtle than the girl in the middle.
It's called contrast, as a way of pointing out something.

There will likely be both blatant plays at sexuality with both sexes as well as tons of people who will simply appear normal. It's part of the world.
But here in this teaser, the girl is the centerpiece. Adding such would have detracted from it.

Yeah I see your point. I guess I didn't think of it that way

Threads like this are always hilarious. Especially when it comes to an international audience...

In some countries a tiny bit of nipple is a scandal - in others no one would really care. It becomes extremely funny here when MSN tries to make 'news' out of a 'scandal' (and tries to push that sort of 'morality' down our throats). Thankfully all these attempts fail miserably...

It only shows one thing: some morality totally depends on the area you live in!

And when it comes to that i'm really glad that the makers of the game are here in Europe and a bit more 'free' when they create the content. We might loose a bit 'blood & gore' ('cause thats not so popular here) but thats something i don't care that much about. Anyway, i'm curious what and how much of it they'll include in the game...

I think CP should tell the story it wants to tell. Political correctness is often the enemy of art. Anyone somehow offended by this can hit Kickstarter and build his or her own game. The trailer is awesome. Can't wait for the game.

Hey, couldn't have put it better myself.

Please don't forget that not everyone has the same level of discomfort with sexiness in life or games. Women walk around dressed to the max in my neighborhood, and we don't call them "over sexualized". They're doing their thing, and if they're happy with it, that's what matters. The same principles apply in games- take these characters at face value, and respect their decisions as if they were autonomous beings.

Top Bottom