Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
Just curious, what the hell did you want the combat to be? hahaha
I'm wondering myself. It looks great to me. And there are those small touches which I personally find really important. Attacks chain together smoothly. The way many strikes begin from where the last one ended - your swung the sword and it ended to your left and low? Your next swing will start from there, without Geralt phasing suddenly into some default stance. Speaking of stances, I enjoy how he has several of them (the Souls series, for all their good sides, stick out to me in how the character doesn't change stances at all, after watching videos of TW3). Geralt's quick, without flashing around the screen like in an anime. And finally, we now have cool finishers, too. Combat may not be perfect here, but it looks damn good to me.

Only thing that bothers me so far is the way how Geralt acts when he deflects arrows to opponent. Sometimes he's not even looking to the direction from which arrow is firing.. It looks really silly when you can clearly see that the player is obviously in the "auto-arrow-reflect" stance but Geralt's head is looking to a different direction.

They said very early on, and no way can I find the link now, that he would stare at the next opponent you target. So I wonder if the player had swung the camera around to view the archer, his head would follow. The same happened when he was staring at the downed wolf and the other one got him. And again, Geralt swings at air when fighting the first wolf. So I don't know, targeting is still a mystery to me.

Sken

Forum veteran
I still think Geralt seems awfully far away from the camera most of the time during combat for no real reason, but I'm not sure if that's just adjusted by tilting the camera or something.
The distance from camera bothers me the most, they've yet to replicate the intimate feel of combat the close camera gave in the numerous trailers.

To be honest the camera distance and camera angle in general works against immersion for me. The gameplay trailers had it right imo, it gave the world a more tangible feel, current camera gives me the feeling of being detached from the world. Its like I'm watching Geralt from a distance rather than being Geralt, hope its adjustable.

Also not a big fan of the screen turning red when getting hit, how the hell did that make the cut? Its very Call Of Duty of them.

Lastly, hope vegetation quality is improved in ultra mode, looks very 2D, low res copy/paste vegetation. They've created this lush environment, amazing wind and weather effects, let down a bit by the current assets, mostly the grass. Mod support soon after release please.

All in all, looks really good, and can't wait to play it. Damien's comments were interesting regarding not showing it running on max, be curious to see if it does slap you in the face with its quality. Not that far off from release, almost time to start putting their best foot forward I think.

Hope all goes well at Pax.

When Geralt got hit by the wolf all the borders of the screen turned red, shouldn't be just a part of the screen based on the direction the atack is coming from?

The distance from camera bothers me the most, they've yet to replicate the intimate feel of combat the close camera gave in the numerous trailers.

To be honest the camera distance and camera angle in general works against immersion for me. The gameplay trailers had it right imo, it gave the world a more tangible feel, current camera gives me the feeling of being detached from the world. Its like I'm watching Geralt from a distance rather than being Geralt, hope its adjustable.

Also not a big fan of the screen turning red when getting hit, how the hell did that make the cut? Its very Call Of Duty of them.
Totally agree. I'd maybe even use Witcher sense camera all the time if there would be an option. I hope there will.
Also because of the camera beeing so far away and above, It doesn't really look like extremely real world (altho it is extremely beautiful), more like watching a big model from up close. Skyrim in that regard was great, you could actually feel the scale of everything like you were actually there. Witcher 3 looks like mix of TES series and Diablo in that regard.
Or maybe that is just how the world is rendered? Or camera 'lens'? I don't know.

And I also agree about this blood thing, I hope you can turn that off.

Last edited:
This game looks like no other game I've ever seen, and I don't think I'll see another one like this.

Damien is a great guy!

It looks great! I noticed too that Geralt faced different direction when blocking but it looked damn amazing anyway.

What is this, is this blood?
Don't you think, there is too much blood and it looks kind of unrealistic, when it splatters.
View attachment 10885

Why does Geralt have this massive blood flow, just out of a single bite?
View attachment 10886

Attachments

• 2015-03-04_160617.jpg
    2015-03-04_160617.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 2015-03-04_160645.jpg
    2015-03-04_160645.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 57
What is this, is this blood?
Don't you think, there is too much blood and it looks kind of unrealistic, when it splatters.

Why does Geralt have this massive blood flow, just out of a single bite?

In the name of all that is holy, you won't even notice that while playing the game.... Y'all need to apply to beta testing games, some people from this forums, then the 90% of the games would be real-life simulators as an end-product.

Petty things aside, this is the most beautiful atmosphere-wise footage so far, I don't even remember SoTD trailer and whatnot after this. Combat just keeps getting better, and it made me nerdgasm even in that 35 min demo footage.
Just give me the damned game already CDPR, I curse all these gaming/expo events for teasers like this.

Damien's PR talk about the possible quality on PC translated to normal language:

"the highest visual settings are being saved for those who buy the game" = "we assured to not piss off console players with footage on maximum PC settings before release"

and/or

"the highest visual settings are being saved for those who buy the game" = "the game on maximum PC settings is still running like shit so we can't show it right now"

:cheers:

Last edited:
Top Bottom