The General Videogame Thread

+
Gamespot: Destiny Tops UK Charts

I find it interesting to note that despite the mediocre reviews Destiny is receiving, it's still selling so well. The possible lessons about this that I can see are:

- Power of hype and marketing.
- Reviews' lack of influence - whether on target or off.
- The reach of a company's good history.

I think it also has to do with the fact that the new consoles have little to no new games coming out, so people will gobble up pretty much anything at this point, because there's no actual choice.
Pretty much this.

10mn people bought a PS4 for example, they have nothing to play. It's also a military style shooter those sell anyway and Bungie have the added benefit of being the "Halo" guys.

eskimoe's gaming confessions:

I've never played Minecraft. Is it any good?

You will either hate it or become hopelessly addicted to it like me. This game spits in the face of every AAA game out there, If that wasn't clear enough before Microsoft' bought it for 2.5 BILLION dollars then it is now.

Last edited:
Notch did own it, but he made it seem like it was haunting him, sort of. He was tired of it.

I think it's fucking hilarious MS bought it for that much. Minecraft's golden age is over.

Yeah, I'll be playing Destiny with my BRO later! Then I might play some Europa IV later. Motherfucking cross breed master race.

I feel a distinct urge to purge you now for such a heretical remark, but I couldn't be bothered at the minute. Don't let me see you writing that again, or else I'm going to become VERY angry! You don't want me to get angry!

:troll:

Remember: NONE CAN ESCAPE THE PC INQUISITION! :ninja: :evil:

I suspect they want to spin it as Xbox booster. What can stop them from turning it into some kind of exclusive or whatever. So it doesn't look like a good outcome in either case.

Read an article when this fact was still a mere rumour, MS commented that they would not make it a purely exclusive. Probably will do some skin packs for Windows and Xbox consoles I suspect, if they keep their word.

I just don't see them making back that 2.5 billion, most people who wanted it on PC and 360 already have it I imagine. Playstation is the least tapped market due to it's later arrival.

But that's okay, I'm sure Notch and Sweden are very happy about this deal.

@Csàszàr : They might not make it exclusive but can for example stop developing any versions besides Xbox (Windows version is essentially Java so it's the same across all other desktop systems). Don't you know MS? And I wouldn't trust much what they say. As you pointed out, it's a ridiculous amount of money. So MS is not doing it out of some kindness or interest to take way the burden from Notch. Of course it can all blow and they'll lose money. But they'll try to use it for their needs.

Last edited:
You've valid points. But they still have to make money off it, stopping development on PS versions while still selling them would be dumb. Of course they can be dumb. But they can still try to make some of that change back from the PS players.

I know their not relieving a burden, if they were he would have sold it to them for $1 or Crown.

Top Bottom